PDA

View Full Version : Point-and-click adventure games recommendations

Csihar
05-15-2017, 05:01 PM
I vaguely recall this being done before but can't hurt to have another one.

There are of course the well-known classics like:

Broken Sword 1 & 2
Discworld
Gabriel Knight series
Grim Fandango
King's Quest series
The Longest Journey
Monkey Island series
Space Quest series

but some of the lesser known recommendations would be good.

Some great ones that I've played the past years:

Blackwell Legacy series
Deponia series
The Dig
Gemini Rue
Kathy Rain
The Last Express
Machinarium
Primordia
Sanitarium
Shardlight
Syberia 1 & 2
The Wolf Among Us

loramin
05-15-2017, 05:08 PM

Broken Sword 1 & 2
Discworld
Gabriel Knight series
Grim Fandango
King's Quest series
The Longest Journey
Monkey Island series
Space Quest series

Blackwell Legacy series
Deponia series
The Dig
Gemini Rue
Kathy Rain
The Last Express
Machinarium
Primordia
Sanitarium
Shardlight
Syberia 1 & 2
The Wolf Among Us

I didn't see Hero Quest (which was renamed Quest For Glory after they got sued), which is very similar to other Sierra adventure games except that it has a slight RPG element. There's also the Leisure Suit Larry series, which are also just like other Sierra games except that it has "grown-up" content (although the VGA-rendered nudity is pretty laughable now).

Other classics I didn't see: Day of the Tentacle (technically a sequel to Maniac Mansion, and you can play Maniac Mansion inside it), Sam and Max, and Full Throttle. All were made by Lucas Arts, or Lucas Games, or whatever they used to call themselves, and all three are a ton of fun.

Csihar
05-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Need to get away from the known classics and get more unknowns!

But if you want to add to the classics:

Beneath a Steel Sky
Blade Runner
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
The Legend of Kyrandia series
Loom
Simon the Sorcerer series

Discworld is pretty well known but Discworld: Noir is less known and absolutely fantastic.

loramin
05-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Loom

Forgot that one even existed! I remember it being so revolutionary at the time: an adventure game where you can't die!

Daywolf
05-15-2017, 06:46 PM
I liked Blade Runner. A little buggy, but was worth the play. King's Quest was good. Hero Quest. Ultima series. UO is based on point and click adventure. You could look into RPG Maker, it's fun to play around with, even go beyond the Eastern Cartoon style if you like.

Swish
05-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Lure of the Temptress
Legend of Kyrandia
Wily Beamish

A few I played growing up in addition to a lot of this list

Baler
05-16-2017, 10:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NUDZGxW.jpg
So many great games already listed.. Figured I'd throw an oddball.

some more...
Ripper
Stasis
The 7th Guest
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Fable
Dragonsphere
Tex Murphy games
Companions of Xanth
Flight of the Amazon Queen
The Book of Unwritten
Whispered Worlds
The Neverhood

Ps. I've played every single game listed on this thread so far. Many in my youth, such classics.
Also going to plug a Let's Player on YT who's done videos for nearly everything listed GameHorder (https://www.youtube.com/user/GameHorder)

fb9
05-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Full Throttle.

Cruiser Motorcycle Guy on a clicky adventure. Recently remastered and available on your favorite online game stores. I need to get this.

Izmael
05-17-2017, 01:44 AM
Loom

This one was amazing.

Spyder73
05-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Diablo

FatMice
05-17-2017, 03:05 PM
LINEAGE 2

joppykid
05-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Broken Sword 1 & 2
Discworld
Gabriel Knight series
Grim Fandango
King's Quest series
The Longest Journey
Monkey Island series
Space Quest series

Blackwell Legacy series
Deponia series
The Dig
Gemini Rue
Kathy Rain
The Last Express
Machinarium
Primordia
Sanitarium
Shardlight
Syberia 1 & 2
The Wolf Among Us

I loved Sanitarium when I was a kid. I have been meaning to buy it on steam, been waiting for a sale but it's only 10 bucks so I might just get it lol.

joppykid
06-22-2017, 09:25 PM
I loved Sanitarium when I was a kid. I have been meaning to buy it on steam, been waiting for a sale but it's only 10 bucks so I might just get it lol.

It's on summer steam sale for 4.99! haha

xtraball
06-23-2017, 04:18 AM
Runaway 1 and 2

AzzarTheGod
06-23-2017, 04:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NUDZGxW.jpg
So many great games already listed.. Figured I'd throw an oddball.

some more...
Ripper
Stasis
The 7th Guest
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Fable
Dragonsphere
Tex Murphy games
Companions of Xanth
Flight of the Amazon Queen
The Book of Unwritten
Whispered Worlds
The Neverhood

Ps. I've played every single game listed on this thread so far. Many in my youth, such classics.
Also going to plug a Let's Player on YT who's done videos for nearly everything listed GameHorder (https://www.youtube.com/user/GameHorder)

dope list

Tecmos Deception
06-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Quest For Glory

This x 1000.

There's 5 QFG games. The first and second were originally 16-color games where you had to type in commands to talk or perform actions, but they were both remade to the 256-color, typical point-and-click stuff ... the first by Sierra itself and the second as a fan project. 3 and 4 are a bit newer. 5 is much newer (but still ancient), features voice acting and whatnot. You can import your character you play 1 with all the way through 5.

They're pure gold.

There's also a free, fan-made game with a female protagonist that's more recent, very much in the vein of QFG and with spectacular voice acting and writing, called Heroine's Quest. Norse theme, great.

Like loramin said, there's a moderate RPG element in these games, where you have stats that increase as you use them. They have pretty limited effects on the gameplay though... maybe ocassionally you won't be able to climb up a tree until you spend 5 minutes practicing your climbing skill, or you'll have a hard time with fighting tougher monsters without having spent time in fights raising your skills. The games have classes, fighter, thief, mage, and sometimes paladin. Different classes have different skills, though at character creation you can do stuff like give a fighter sneaking or give a thief spellcasting so you can dabble into other stuff. In general there are multiple solutions to problems you run into in the game, and each class has one that it excels at of course, so you can get quite a bit of replay value out of seeing how the different classes get through the game. You'll never see a thieves guild with a non-thief, you'll never get extra dialogue and quests from a paladin NPC if you're not a paladin, you get to earn and craft extra spells and items as a wizard, etc etc.

loramin
06-23-2017, 01:08 PM
There's also a free, fan-made game with a female protagonist that's more recent, very much in the vein of QFG and with spectacular voice acting and writing, called Heroine's Quest. Norse theme, great.

I never heard about this, but now I'm going to have to check it out.

Domo
06-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Simon the Sorcerer

AzzarTheGod
06-23-2017, 05:29 PM
this thread is too woke for me but imma try to use it to study up

was feelin the same way got a lot of homework to do here

point n click adventures r a great way to take a bunch of drugs and really lose yourself from reality cant wait to check some of these gr8 drug simulators out

Tecmos Deception
06-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Oh! Conquests of the Longbow.

Sierra Robin Hood point and click from 91.

More linear than the other ones I mentioned, no RPG elements they I recall. Fun scenes and puzzles and dialogue though. Less goofy/tongue in cheek.

Fasttimes
06-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Leisure suit Larry 7 best adventure game.

Edit kings quest 6 close 2nd

Sage Truthbearer
06-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but my favorite point-and-click is Day of the Tentacle and the Remastered version is currently on Steam Sale for like $3 bucks. Amazing game.

AzzarTheGod
06-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Leisure suit Larry 7 best adventure game.

Edit kings quest 6 close 2nd

ya kings quest was huge forgot that 1 that game was so difficult to figure out the puzzles. you spent months just trying to progress.

Tecmos Deception
06-23-2017, 08:27 PM
ya kings quest was huge forgot that 1 that game was so difficult to figure out the puzzles. you spent months just trying to progress.

Just fire up your 2800 baud modem and call a bulletin board service for $0.95/minute to read strategies and maybe some cheat codes.

Classic.

Fasttimes
06-23-2017, 08:27 PM
anyone remember INN? by sierra online, that shit was dope.

SamwiseRed
06-23-2017, 09:52 PM
point and click a 45 against your head

Gumbo
06-24-2017, 01:59 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned the website GOG https://www.gog.com/

The site redoes the games so they will play on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10. They have every game that we mentioned here plus a hell of a lot more...

AzzarTheGod
06-24-2017, 03:21 AM
They have every game that we mentioned here plus a hell of a lot more...

Skeptical but yes I have successfully used gog in the past to relive old drugs

skarlorn
06-28-2017, 02:20 AM
How has no one mentioned Runescape.

I'm talking 2D Runescape back when that shit was classic. Back when walking from varrock to the dwarf mines was an adventure and the members only side of the world had a secret city of gnomes living in trees that you couldn't see on map.

Party hats.

Yeah. You know I ran the coal trade. Buying coal from free servers and then selling to members for 100% markup. Amassing millions of gold and then loaning it out to dumb rich kids in middle school for real money every week, which I then used to pay for more months of membership.

Oh yea. I was part of the heroes guild. I could catch and cook lobster. Fuck yea.

You can't flee from combat until three rounds have passed bitch.

skarlorn
06-28-2017, 02:21 AM
Planescape : Torment is another goog one

AzzarTheGod
06-28-2017, 04:07 AM

sick troll

Csihar
06-28-2017, 04:13 AM

Planescape : Torment is another goog one

Those two are RPGs though. PaC adventures are basically puzzle games with a narrative.

Surprised no one has mentioned the website GOG https://www.gog.com/

The site redoes the games so they will play on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10. They have every game that we mentioned here plus a hell of a lot more...

It's a great site. Most of the older games that I've played came from it.

Anyone who loves the genre should play Gemini Rue. Retro-look (if you're into that), great story, sometimes difficult puzzles but always logical, great atmosphere.

AzzarTheGod
06-28-2017, 04:22 AM
sick troll

woke breaking the 4th wall

skarlorn
06-28-2017, 08:40 PM
you guys are right i was just thinking about my favorite games where i clicked around to have an adventure

very dum

nilzark
06-28-2017, 09:33 PM
I wish they would redo blade runner. The game, not the movie.

serberus
07-08-2017, 03:33 AM
Why has no one listed south park. Stick of truth.

That's an awesome point and click game