PDA

View Full Version : Being realistic about getting Jboots?

spectrefax
05-13-2017, 09:17 AM
So I've reached a high enough level on my main where I'm starting to think about trying to get a pair of Jboots. However, much to my dismay, it seems that all options to Jboots are, well, shitty at best.

Here's how it seems to break down:

1) MQ it. Camp 100 Shralok Packs or a bazillion stacks of bone chips and buy the ring MQ for 7k and simply pray I don't get taken for a ride. (yes, yes, vet sellers and all that, but how does that work for someone who doesn't know the reputable sellers in the community? What if my game crashes during the MQ? GMs have already stated they won't reimburse MQs according to the forum.)

2) Get in line at OOT once I reach mid 40s early 50s and deal with all the crap and politics that comes with that camp, in addition to needing to set aside anywhere from 12 to 24 straight hours to wait in line behind 5-6 other people who already have jboots and are farming the ring for plat.

3) Try S Ro where the AC has an extremely predictable spawn time now courtesy of the Nilbog rewrite. If it hasn't popped between 9pm and 10pm it isn't popping, and pretty much every druid on the server knows this as the zone population goes from 1 at 8pm, to 10-15 at 9pm, then back to 1 at 10pm-11pm.

I played back when Jboots dropped in Najena and up to Planes of Power, and the S Ro ancient was always my fall back from having to deal with #1 and #2, however, the spawn no longer operates as it did back in classic. It used to be very, very similar to the Pyzjn spawn in Qeynos Hills where it could spawn in the day and you can manipulate your chances of a spawn through thorough analysis of the spawn events and timing placeholders. However, it seems Nilbog rewrote both these camps (pyzjn and S Ro ancient) and neither operates in the same way as they did on live.

So, with the S Ro option no longer being viable due to a 9pm, in-game druid dinner bell (how was this thought to be a good idea?), is MQ for 7k really the best option available to a new p99 player like myself?

Kiithsa
05-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Sro is probably your best net, there really aren't any "good" options here. At least there you have a chance at getting FTE on it, instead of standing in line.

Squabbles123
05-13-2017, 10:14 AM
From reading suggestions from others, my advice to you would be to stick with the OOT camp, and ignore the line aspect of the whole thing.

Just camp on the island, login every so often and see whats going on, there might be a line, there might not, the spawn might be up with nobody there (this DOES happen every so often) in which case you just kill him and you're done!

You can also check the line, if its 1-2 people, you could wait for a bit if you wanted.

But really, just checking in every so often, you will eventually find a moment where you effectively have it all to yourself, especially if you get restless and do a quick login at 3 AM or something.

This might take you weeks, but it beats sitting logged in for 12 straight hours.

Jimjam
05-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Play unsociable hours. Best luck I have is when there is no one else in the zone/camp.

JonyeGway
05-13-2017, 10:27 AM
If you're high enough level try to farm a goblin gazughi ring. Should sell high enough to fund your jboots. Took me like 5 hours to farm one but I've seen people get lucky and get it within the first hour.

Jimjam
05-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Took 12 levels and many deaths on my (was) lvl 12 mage to get a courier ring. I think I was one of the unlucky ones!

branamil
05-13-2017, 10:33 AM
The OOT camp is really not that hard. Get up early one day and get on the list, there might only be 1-2 people in line if it's off hours. When I got mine I was on The list for 4 hours and he popped in 2 hours. A tad on the lucky side but reasonable. Otherwise farm 6k plat and go to town. By the way, people are not going to rip you off if you pay for an MQ. These people do it over and over again because it's their cash cow.

Baler
05-13-2017, 10:35 AM
lets say 6k... SoW Pots

EC price
6000/100 = 60*360 = 21600/60 = 360 hours of sow(cast at your level)

Cost to make~
6000/65 = 92*360 = 33120/60 = 552 hours of sow(cast at your level)

Jboots overrated.
---
https://wiki.project1999.com/Traveler%27s_Boots
---
If it takes you more than 6 hours to farm jboots cyclops you're wasting your time.

Topgunben
05-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Don't do Jboots. Just buy sow pots. Pots last longer and give better speed. Plus, the initial investment is far lower. I've been using pots since level 25 on my necro, and I haven't spent anywhere close to 7k and I'm now 52.

If you are smart you'll listen to my advice rather than obsessing over an item that is more work acquiring (in the current state of this server) than it's worth.

Swish
05-13-2017, 10:37 AM
...and sell your sow pots with 1 charge left in a 10 dose. You'll save some plat that way, if you're buying at 100pp

loramin
05-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Just camp on the island, login every so often and see whats going on, there might be a line, there might not, the spawn might be up with nobody there (this DOES happen every so often) in which case you just kill him and you're done!

Can confirm: I've (twice) seen people take the camp (the PH not the named) from no one at all, either in the evening on a week night or on a weekend ... and that's just the times someone camp check-ed fist (I wouldn't even know about the times someone just showed up, saw no one was there, and took it).

To be fair I was spending a fair amount of time on Seafury Island, but the point is if you're patient enough (and maybe settle for short lines instead of holding out for no line) it will happen.

Lhancelot
05-13-2017, 12:11 PM
...and sell your sow pots with 1 charge left in a 10 dose. You'll save some plat that way, if you're buying at 100pp

That's good advice here, if you get sow pots.

Regarding the comparison of sow pots to jboots, perhaps from a cost perspective it would take a long time to get your money out of jboots, but the thing is there's many advantages to having an insta cast runspeed boost.

IMO they are worth 6-7k. Camp it yourself, or buy the MQ. The jboots never need to be bought again, it's a nice convenience to not have to constantly buy sow pots, or make them yourself. I got a 55 shaman, can make the pots myself and on toons I really enjoy, I still buy jboots for them.

Jboots can be used as a junk buff too.

Regarding players selling jboots:

The people doing Jboot MQs are too invested to "take you for a ride," basically if they got a guild tag and are high enough level to farm the pieces needed for jboots, they aint trying to get suspended off the game.

1. Buy from a guild tagged seller.

2. Ask to see the ring, rapier, etc., if you feel something isn't right.

It's not as dire as you make it sound. If you simply can't be assed to monkey with a jboot camp, just find a way to get the plats to buy them.

Many sellers are selling for 6k now too, so that's a plus!

Crede
05-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Don't bother with sow pots. Camp the gazughi ring, sell it, buy jboots. Eventually they will pay for themselves over the pots and the convenience/insta clicky/junk buff factor is way better. As far as I'm concerned, sow pots are only useful for long bits of traveling at higher levels.

Lowako
05-13-2017, 12:50 PM
I'd just use SoW pots and ignore jboots for now. I always viewed jboots as a QoL/luxury item. Saves the trouble of dealing with item charges and having to hit up EC frequently, instant click for when you need another junk buff outdoors, using it when you're only running a small distance before you can just get a SoW from a SoW class (the run from HH->ramp in OT) etc.

I don't know what level you are, but levels make plat farming exponentially easier. You can also make a lot of platinum while leveling. I don't know what class you play, but leveling by killing guards from 25->40+ should give you enough money to buy a jboots MQ or put you very close. However, I'd advise against buying a jboots MQ and putting that money toward SoW potions and high impact items like a weapon, haste item, focus effect, or clicky.

mgriff02
05-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Can confirm: I've (twice) seen people take the camp (the PH not the named) from no one at all, either in the evening on a week night or on a weekend ... and that's just the times someone camp check-ed fist (I wouldn't even know about the times someone just showed up, saw no one was there, and took it).

To be fair I was spending a fair amount of time on Seafury Island, but the point is if you're patient enough (and maybe settle for short lines instead of holding out for no line) it will happen.

Similarly, I've been the only person in Sro during AC spawn time before. It's not always swamped.

turbosilk
05-13-2017, 01:22 PM
The game is very playable without jboots.

Jimjam
05-13-2017, 01:36 PM
The game is very playable without jboots.

Not only that, but with velious plenty of stuff will still chase you down even with jboots.

thebutthat
05-13-2017, 01:51 PM
If you are smart you'll listen to my advice rather than obsessing over an item that is more work acquiring (in the current state of this server) than it's worth.

It's reasonable advice, but jboots also act as a non-equip clicky and junk buff. Which is great for certain situations, especially for a necro. Resetting the cast GCD is super helpful. Words of Darkness are also pretty rad for the same reasons and can also be used in doors.

SoW pots are a work around to an overcamped item, but don't under estimate them. They're still a great item to have in your bag of tricks.

Lhancelot
05-13-2017, 02:17 PM
If you really enjoy the character, buying jboots is worth it. They will eventually pay for themselves over the long run compared to sow pots which are a plat sink over time.

Is game playable without jboots, yes of course it is.

Is it more enjoyable having a clicky runspeed boost item that can endlessly be clicked, that also provides you with a junk buff and spell refresh affect too? Yep it is.

Cecily
05-13-2017, 02:21 PM
I don't see why people just don't click their SoW Katana. Yeah, yeah it has a cast time, but it's way faster and lasts longer.

Baler
05-13-2017, 02:33 PM
If you really enjoy the character, buying jboots is worth it. They will eventually pay for themselves over the long run compared to sow pots which are a plat sink over time.
This is so wrong it pains me to even dignify a response to this poster.

4 10 dose SoW pots cost 400plat(ec)/260pp(cost to make) and lasts 24 hours.

They pay for themselves and allow you to run faster than jboots past level 15.
SoW pots are not a plat sink unless you are chugging potions for no reason, I can make 400plat on a level 24-30 in an hour, Two if I don't want to rush.

So sink 6k plat into an item that gives you no stat,hp,mana or resist boost. Or sink hours of farming cyclops which is time wasted vs exping or plat farming.
Save the 6k and buy yourself a nice piece of equipment, perhaps even multiple pieces of equipment depending on your gear.

Just buy SoW PoTs. Plus you can let other people drink from your sow pot in case you have a group that needs to move.

---
SoW pots are the same as casting SoW on yourself in case anyone was curious about the speed. Jboots are always only 35% movement speed boost.
See here for Character level movement speed with SoW http://wiki.project1999.com/Run_Speed_Comparison
---
in closing unless you're a fat cat who scum bag flips in ec all day and have a million plat to burn. I can't ever recommend Jboots, The cost vs efficiency is just not there at all. By all means if you really want them otherwise I'm not saying don't get them just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.

Squabbles123
05-13-2017, 02:39 PM
This whole thread makes me really wanna work on my Alchemy tonight.

Baler
05-13-2017, 02:45 PM
This whole thread makes me really wanna work on my Alchemy tonight.

Enjoy sitting in EC getting terrible profit. Simply because p99 has so, so many more shaman than there was back on live during velious. People cycle through EC sellings pots 24/7.

If SoW pots cost ~65pp to make and you sell them for 100. That's 35pp profit. Let's say you get lucky and sell 20 in an hour.. That's only 700pp in that one hour. And I'm 100% not exaggerating about getting lucky. You would have to be the only person selling them and just happen to have someone who needs them. More realistically you'd be lucky if you sold 10, 10 does in an hour.

Then there is the cost to train any tradeskill. You'd be better off getting to 60 and obtaining torpor than starring at the EC tunnel walls and some fat ogre's butt crack in the distance.

There are other potions ofc but again the profit just isn't really there in terms of the sell price vs the time it takes to sell them. But it's a fun past time if you're drinking or doing other stuff. Super annoying having to constantly hit Shift Up to spam your WTS message though. Especially when you're only looking at ~35pp profit per unit. bleh

---
Fun Fact: If you want to make your own SoW pots you only need to level a shaman alt to 32. I recommend Barb for a Sow Pot Mule.

Squabbles123
05-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Enjoy sitting in EC getting terrible profit. Simply because p99 has so, so many more shaman that there was back on live during velious. People cycle through EC sellings pots 24/7.

If SoW pots cost ~65pp to make and you sell them for 100. That's 35pp profit. Let's say you get lucky and sell 20 in an hour.. That's only 700pp in that one hour. And I'm 100% not exaggerating about getting lucky. You would have to be the only person selling them and just happen to have someone who needs them.

Then there is the cost to train any tradeskill. You'd be better off getting to 60 and obtaining torpor than starring at the EC tunnel walls and some fat ogre's butt crack in the distance.

Well, I plan to level Alchemy anyway (along with the skills needed to make color plate armors), so its not a big deal.

I don't really plan to raid and the cost of Torpor is just stupid, so I'll probably just ignore it and not bother TBH. My Shaman is mostly my "soloist" anyway, I have another character thats more for being social.

But yeah, if an item costs like 10,000 or more, I just ignore its existence because there is no reason it needs to cost that much, so I refuse to give people the satisfaction of ripping me off for it.

Lhancelot
05-13-2017, 03:12 PM
OP, take what you want from all the comments on jboots. It's really just a personal thing, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer here.

spectrefax
05-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the all the replies. Apologies about the tone of my OP as I had just wrote it after spending several hours getting AC to spawn in S RO, only to watch about 5 people port in at 9pm game time (this was 4-5am pacific time, doesn't get much more off-hours than that) and then losing the AC to one of them.

Currently using SoW potions, and I think they're a solid buy. I always stay stocked, but would definitely like the Jboots for the reasons many have already outlined in this thread.

As for me "not be willing to camp" or however it was put, I have no problem in doing a camp. In fact, I rather enjoy the rare spawn camps in zones like this. I've looted A Glowing Black stone from Pyzjn (https://wiki.project1999.com/Pyzjn) twice (one on live back in the day and once here) and killed her much more than that. I've also obtained Ring of the Ancients twice back on live by doing the S Ro camp.

I would absolutely love to camp the AC in S Ro like in days past, but, as I've said, Nilbog rewrote the script so that the S RO spawn is now basically a free-for-all clusterfunk at 9pm. My primary gripe with this entire thing would be the rewriting of the AC spawn in S RO... I really just can't even fathom how it was thought to be a good idea to rewrite the one spot in the game where players who can't/won't camp the OOT spawn had a decent change of getting a ring without fierce competition and changing into the 9pm crap show it is currently.

This was always the draw to the AC camp in S Ro, it wasn't as consistent as the OOT spawn, but it came with much less competition. The rewrite of the spawn script tosses this out the window and changes the camp into one of the least likely spots for one to acquire a ring thanks to that 9pm dinner bell.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me... If MQ'ing is as safe as everyone seems to imply, then I'll just save my pennies. Thanks again for all the insight, everyone, see ya in-game.

Cecily
05-13-2017, 03:40 PM
In the end (with the exception of intending to use it as an outdoor junk buff), Jboots are just a convenience item. SoW pots, while better, run out. Jboots are good enough and will last until a laggy trananon poop sock in BDA makes you destroy them instead of the rabbit meat you meant to and Ambrotos laughs at you leading you to get a charity MQ from Gats who will tease you about them for 3 years until you MQ one for his friend, Laboomer.

mickmoranis
05-13-2017, 03:55 PM
sow pots are better than jboots but having jboots for a handly quick click is worth it too...

"I dont have a peggy cloak cus I can buy batwings" just doesnt really fly, no matter what class you are.

Enderenter
05-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Just camp Fishbone Earrings in Qeynos Hills or something. Those still gotta be worth a decent amount right?

skarlorn
05-13-2017, 03:58 PM
In the end (with the exception of intending to use it as an outdoor junk buff), Jboots are just a convenience item. SoW pots, while better, run out. Jboots are good enough and will last until a laggy trananon poop sock in BDA makes you destroy them instead of the rabbit meat you meant to and Ambrotos laughs at you leading you to get a charity MQ from Gats who will tease you about them for 3 years until you MQ one for his friend, Laboomer.

Laboomer who later main changed to Hufen, the Halfling Warrior and competed with me for gear. Chest and the Loot Council decided to award a CoF off of that red outdoor dragon in Skyfire to Hufen, even though I was there and was a true main, not some false main of an already epic'd wizard (Laboomer). Then Gats and Boomer and Cloki said fuck you to Chest and Anthrax and formed <Omni> and it became clear the Loot Council was a system of Idiots. They later gave* me a CoF. Being a righteous hobbit I returned it to Chest on one of my long hiatuses. I later quit the game and allowed Nibblewitz to pilot Filbus when they needed a tank. Somehow Nibble managed to score an RBB and keep it on Filbus, despite him wearing the RBG, but I have long since disbanded from BDA, so now I have two haste belts with a shade of difference, one stolen from BDA, in revenge for the CoF they awarded to the scumbag Hufen, and may Anthrax never enjoy another day of Raiding.

Lhancelot
05-13-2017, 04:03 PM
sow pots are better than jboots but having jboots for a handly quick click is worth it too...

"I dont have a peggy cloak cus I can buy batwings" just doesnt really fly, no matter what class you are.

I like this point, great analogy to the argument that jboots aren't worthy because there are sow pots.

mickmoranis
05-13-2017, 04:04 PM

yea well I got a mage with a druid epic in his bank cus of eqluck

Jimjam
05-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the all the replies. Apologies about the tone of my OP as I had just wrote it after spending several hours getting AC to spawn in S RO, only to watch about 5 people port in at 9pm game time (this was 4-5am pacific time, doesn't get much more off-hours than that) and then losing the AC to one of them.

Currently using SoW potions, and I think they're a solid buy. I always stay stocked, but would definitely like the Jboots for the reasons many have already outlined in this thread.

As for me "not be willing to camp" or however it was put, I have no problem in doing a camp. In fact, I rather enjoy the rare spawn camps in zones like this. I've looted A Glowing Black stone from Pyzjn (https://wiki.project1999.com/Pyzjn) twice (one on live back in the day and once here) and killed her much more than that. I've also obtained Ring of the Ancients twice back on live by doing the S Ro camp.

I would absolutely love to camp the AC in S Ro like in days past, but, as I've said, Nilbog rewrote the script so that the S RO spawn is now basically a free-for-all clusterfunk at 9pm. My primary gripe with this entire thing would be the rewriting of the AC spawn in S RO... I really just can't even fathom how it was thought to be a good idea to rewrite the one spot in the game where players who can't/won't camp the OOT spawn had a decent change of getting a ring without fierce competition and changing into the 9pm crap show it is currently.

This was always the draw to the AC camp in S Ro, it wasn't as consistent as the OOT spawn, but it came with much less competition. The rewrite of the spawn script tosses this out the window and changes the camp into one of the least likely spots for one to acquire a ring thanks to that 9pm dinner bell.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me... If MQ'ing is as safe as everyone seems to imply, then I'll just save my pennies. Thanks again for all the insight, everyone, see ya in-game.

There is no 'getting ac to spawn'. He just has a 10% chance to pop every 9pm. I found a guy once doing what you were doing, he had been doing it for hours. When I got the AC I felt so bad for him I just let him loot the ring. Rezbot could wait.

mickmoranis
05-13-2017, 04:21 PM
yo i got a cleric, human in full golden plate, named rezbot too lol

She is robot looking as fuK!

Baler
05-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Nilbog rewrote the script so that the S RO spawn is now basically a free-for-all clusterfunk at 9pm. My primary gripe with this entire thing would be the rewriting of the AC spawn in S RO...

^ Join Date: March 2017

Something doesn't add up here... anom alt?
That change is long before OP joined.

---
Word on the street.. the cyclops seems more probable to spawn in OOT rather than South Ro.

Cecily
05-13-2017, 06:01 PM
yea well I got a mage with a druid epic in his bank cus of eqluck

That's kinda cool though. I've always wanted to collect all the epics on one character. Have a necro sky cloak and bits of a pally epic so far.

Gumbo
05-13-2017, 06:15 PM
I love hanging out in SRO and having people running up to me even before AC spawns, screaming that AC is theirs if he spawns because it's their camp and they were in SRO first.

Swish
05-13-2017, 07:43 PM
I love hanging out in SRO and having people running up to me even before AC spawns, screaming that AC is theirs if he spawns because it's their camp and they were in SRO first.

:rolleyes:

spectrefax
05-13-2017, 09:17 PM
^ Join Date: March 2017

Something doesn't add up here... anom alt?
That change is long before OP joined.

---
Word on the street.. the cyclops seems more probable to spawn in OOT rather than South Ro.

I was comparing the rewrite to my experience with this camp in classic 18-19 years ago on the live servers. I have only recently discovered and joined p99.

spectrefax
05-13-2017, 09:29 PM
There is no 'getting ac to spawn'. He just has a 10% chance to pop every 9pm. I found a guy once doing what you were doing, he had been doing it for hours. When I got the AC I felt so bad for him I just let him loot the ring. Rezbot could wait.

Yes, I believe you're correct, which is part of my gripe. Why this spawn was rewritten in this fashion is beyond me. I mean, it basically made it such that this camp is now nothing more than a snipefest with a static, 3 minute window that encourages bad player behavior. The lack of forethought here is just mind boggling and doesn't mirror the classic experience p99 prides itself on because the spawn never operated in this fashion during launch-velious era on live.

I'll concede that the spawn event of yore was in need of a rewrite, but the rewrite that was implemented is just beyond awful.

mickmoranis
05-13-2017, 09:45 PM
That's kinda cool though. I've always wanted to collect all the epics on one character. Have a necro sky cloak and bits of a pally epic so far.

i wish we could have apartments and permanently affix loot to a wall like a trophy room.

http://i.imgur.com/rWcTW2B.png

Samoht
05-13-2017, 11:56 PM
I love how I can instantly recast Jboots after I'm dispelled while pulling/fleeing a caster mob. Can't do that with SoW pots.

Jboots are invaluable. Worth every PP.

Jimjam
05-14-2017, 02:14 AM
I mean really the best system is to have jboots and a 10 dose of sow for when you know jboots isn't enough. It's not like they are mutually exclusive.

Egilmn
05-14-2017, 05:55 AM
Definitely get jboots, and you can also still have sow potions for when you want extra speed in traveling or kiting. Jboots are instant click and always with you no matter what. Sow potions you will have to continuously go back to ec and find a shaman who happens to be selling them. If there aren't any at that moment then you have to wait. It is annoying to deal with that and you will end up wasting time. You will also often need to camp when you want to afk, so as to save time on the duration.

Jboots are a one-time investment that stay with you forever. As mentioned, peg cloak is the exact same when compared to bat wings. Whether you camp jboots yourself or mq them, everything comes down to time.

Samoht
05-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Sow potions you will have to continuously go back to ec and find a shaman who happens to be selling them.

If you have two, you can recharge them yourself.

Lhancelot
05-14-2017, 08:58 AM

How much is the recharge though? I was wondering this too. heh

Cecily
05-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Roughly 95p or so. About the same as buying new ones.

Lhancelot
05-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Roughly 95p or so. About the same as buying new ones.

dang. good to know ty.

mickmoranis
05-14-2017, 01:21 PM

stop assuming everyone plays on the EZ server

Freakish
05-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Ran through south ro the other day and found AC up with nobody else around. Just gotta get lucky.

nilbog
05-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Why this spawn was rewritten in this fashion is beyond me. I mean, it basically made it such that this camp is now nothing more than a snipefest with a static, 3 minute window that encourages bad player behavior. The lack of forethought here is just mind boggling and doesn't mirror the classic experience p99 prides itself on because the spawn never operated in this fashion during launch-velious era on live.

I'll concede that the spawn event of yore was in need of a rewrite, but the rewrite that was implemented is just beyond awful.

Explain how you think the ancient cyclops worked on live.

mickmoranis
05-14-2017, 05:08 PM
POPCORN get yer POPcorn gifs HERE! (https://www.google.com/search?q=popcorn+imgur&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKs8DwpfDTAhVH4GMKHfPuBycQ_AUICigB&biw=1278&bih=1138)

Lhancelot
05-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Yes, I believe you're correct, which is part of my gripe. Why this spawn was rewritten in this fashion is beyond me. I mean, it basically made it such that this camp is now nothing more than a snipefest with a static, 3 minute window that encourages bad player behavior. The lack of forethought here is just mind boggling and doesn't mirror the classic experience p99 prides itself on because the spawn never operated in this fashion during launch-velious era on live.

I like the randomness of the SRo AC spawn location, I just wish it popped more often.

Then again, if it popped every night people would constantly park in SRo.

Guess it's working as well as it could be all things considered.

Swish
05-14-2017, 05:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1SHYQHZ.jpg

loramin
05-14-2017, 05:29 PM
stop assuming everyone plays on the EZ server

Seriously!. We all know that only like 90% of the population plays on Blue ...

I almost responded to this, but I figured someone else who knew the camp better would lay down the smack. Didn't expect it to be Nilbog :D

/popcorn

Deadlyfury
05-14-2017, 10:57 PM
with the whole line up asepct of it, my advice is to just ignore a LIST and go off how many people are in the vacinity of the camp, most of the time there could be 6 people on the list and only 2 people there waiting, and within a matter of minutes if the people who arent on the list dont show up it can go from 6 to 3.

In regards to your best option? Camping it in OOT is the best option, it will take too long to pharm plat at your level...

Lojik
05-14-2017, 11:28 PM

Nilbog still rustled from getting waxed by PoD (thanks Fansy)

Rummol
05-15-2017, 05:23 AM
Didn't the EQ live Devs post a detailed outline of how the AC spawn originally worked in SRO? I remember reading it somewhere

Jimjam
05-15-2017, 05:27 AM
yes, when Ro was revamped a dev leaked the original AC mechanics, which were copypasted into p99.

spectrefax
05-15-2017, 06:55 AM

Going to pass. I've already said what I dislike about the rewrite. The spawn is what it is.

What it isn't, is a big enough deal to me to get into it with staff and jeopardize my ability to play on a newfound server I enjoy immensely--particularly when it's over a couple salty posts I made because I missed an AC.

Gonna bow out now and get back to leveling, see y'all in game--and yes, Hasten is up. ;)

Jimjam
05-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Going to pass. I've already said what I dislike about the rewrite. The spawn is what it is.

What it isn't, is a big enough deal to me to get into it with staff and jeopardize my ability to play on a newfound server I enjoy immensely--particularly when it's over a couple salty posts I made because I missed an AC.

Gonna bow out now and get back to leveling, see y'all in game.

If you want to do OOT it is good to get on the list a few hours before you want to start to play.

You're more likely to be at the top of the list when you log on if you at least tried to get on it earlier!

Make sure you are bound nearby or Xping in zone and keep in contact with other list members to make sure you can get to the island in time for your own turn.

Spyder73
05-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Camp OOT - kill seafuries while in 'line' for massive gains. Either you hit 7k from seafuries or you get AC spawn - either way you get j boots

thebutthat
05-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Camp OOT - kill seafuries while in 'line' for massive gains. Either you hit 7k from seafuries or you get AC spawn - either way you get j boots

This. Lock down a spawn, kill that bad boy every 6 minutes. By the time you get the camp your bags will probably already be full and you'll be able to just buy the next AC ring that drops :P

tyrant49333
05-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Bind at the spawn and login and get on list. Go do your thing until you get called then gate back....../thread

Baler
05-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Bind at the spawn and login and get on list. Go do your thing until you get called then gate back....../thread

Some people have a stigma against those who leave zone while waiting on a list. Just fore-warning.

Eradicate
08-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Some people have a stigma against those who leave zone while waiting on a list. Just fore-warning.

Relevant... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muS3adntVf0

Transylvania
08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
On Live SRo AC could spawn 9pm to 7am in a random spot in the desert. Same as now, cept it could spawn anytime during the game night. No known ph.

Crashking
08-13-2017, 11:01 PM
Relevant... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muS3adntVf0

OMG... I absolutely loved this....

mcoy
08-14-2017, 01:20 AM
I will gladly help you camp the AC. I'm on most nights; although not usually this late during the week.

-Mcoy

timeflux
08-14-2017, 02:09 AM
Make 6K (not difficult). Buy MQ.

Have one of the 4-5 essential tools for every class. Instant clickie buffa are gold.

Not much to argue here.

Canelek
08-14-2017, 04:13 PM
If you do get the FTE on SRO AC, make sure and fear kite(if this is your preferred method) him away from the Dark Elf merchants in the tents. They WILL attempt to KS.

Raavak
08-14-2017, 05:09 PM
I camped it in SRo on live and on P99.

So there is no PH now? Or the PH is unknown?

As in it can spawn, then presumably depop if unkilled. Or it can skip and nothing spawns?

Defgun
08-14-2017, 05:38 PM
It sounds like you would be a lot better off on P99 Red server sir. Why wait in line when you can wait till they engage sneak up and stab them in the back and then loot your Ring of the Ancients? Or even better go to Rathe Mountains and kill all of the plat farmers that moved there after the latest OOT nerf. I got 6k there yesterday looting Players after I killed them.

Pyrion
08-15-2017, 03:56 AM
Dont forget the alternative:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Traveler%27s_Boots

Sure, no instant clicky, removing some of the strengths... but it's still a viable alternative for buying sow pots. And it removes the MQ drama.

Swish
08-15-2017, 05:56 AM
I camped it in SRo on live and on P99.

So there is no PH now? Or the PH is unknown?

As in it can spawn, then presumably depop if unkilled. Or it can skip and nothing spawns?

I did Sro in the old days before the changes.

Now everyone gathers in anticipation for 9pm to see if he spawns...and if he does, its a shitfest for FTE - need to be lucky and stood in casting/melee range with a short channel spell.

If I have to camp it again I'll do the time in OOT I think. Much easier to do on [removed] fyi

LostCause
08-15-2017, 06:10 AM
does no one farm hill giants? or they always all dead

Raavak
08-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Now everyone gathers in anticipation for 9pm to see if he spawns...and if he does, its a shitfest for FTE - need to be lucky and stood in casting/melee range with a short channel spell.
Wow, that seems really, really dumb. I wonder why the non-classic change that creates opportunities for drama and douche-bagery.

does no one farm hill giants? or they always all dead
In Rathe Mnts? I bet its almost busy, especially since the Seafury Cyclops drop nerf.

Dreenk317
08-15-2017, 11:04 AM
If you're high enough level try to farm a goblin gazughi ring. Should sell high enough to fund your jboots. Took me like 5 hours to farm one but I've seen people get lucky and get it within the first hour.

This right here, obtainable easily in the 30's. One of the few items that will often be traded straight up for jboots.

Ikon
08-21-2017, 09:34 PM
According to Prathun-Dev:
There's one spawn in South Ro with a 30.66666666 minute repop time that has a 10% chance of being the ancient cyclops, but he has to spawn at night. He's on the same spawn table with a_desert_madman, a_dervish_cutthroat, a_sand_giant, and a_mummy.
Truth is stranger than fiction:
ENCOUNTER_DESCRIPTION SROHusamAncientNightfall
MONSTER_1_NAME a_desert_madman
MONSTER_1_NIGHT_NAME an_ancient_cyclops
MONSTER_1_PERCENT 10
MONSTER_2_NAME a_sand_giant
MONSTER_2_NIGHT_NAME a_mummy
MONSTER_2_PERCENT 20
MONSTER_3_NAME a_sand_giant
MONSTER_3_PERCENT 10
MONSTER_4_NAME a_dervish_cutthroat
MONSTER_4_PERCENT 30
MONSTER_5_NAME a_desert_madman
MONSTER_5_PERCENT 30

AC didn't spawn only in the one spot though, I camped him repeatedly on FV (the ring was droppable on FV) for my guild members. He could spawn like Pyzjn in a number of places.

It was definite not just between 9pm - 10pm.

Also because the exact PH's and timing was never known, it was always a mystery in original EQ the timings and ph's should probably be changed so they're unknown again. Some would argue its not classic if the technical mechanics are different but its even less classic if the technical aspects are identical now they're known. The classic part of the South Ro AC was that it was a mystery.

Nagoya
09-27-2017, 06:00 PM
I am a casual scum player and I, too, had the same repugnance over my options at ever getting Jboots OP.

On my wizard I thought that this was a very necessary item so one morning I tried and see how hard the infamous quest really was.

7kpp is out of my league. I never have this much pesos, and if I do I have many other things I need to buy before a Jboots MQ. Also, like yourself, I don't really like the concept of buying an MQ.

I had to choose between Sro and OoT myself. Spending 10 hours on an island in OoT didn't sound like fun so I logged in my lvl 53 druid and tried my chance at Sro.

Don't.

Sro AC is a crazy camp. You have between 4 to 12 druids popping in exactly at 9:25 in-game, at 9:30 precisely they (we) all hit Track, and if the first name on top is AC we hope we're closest to it and we run, then trying to cast level 1 DD to FTE it...

Long story short; you will not win that race.
Some druids are just master at Sro AC hunting, and you are a casual scum like me, this ennemy is stronger than you.

So I took the boat.

My IRL best friend is also on a wizard, and was thinking about farming Jboots with me as well. He doesn't have a druid to try Sro, so OoT seemed more natural to both of us.

Woke up early on a weekday, and the AC in OoT wasn't camped.
My friend started farming it, I helped him kill faster and every day at 9:30 I was still trying my luck in Sro, bound on the island to then come back.

It took my friend seven hours to get his ring, then it was my turn, and I got mine in 26 minutes. We went to Nektulos, got the two shadowed Rapier in under 5 minutes. Withdrew 3250gp from the bank and went to Rathe Mtns.

Hasten wasn't up, and some Sro AC Hunter was already there trying to have it spawn. Took about 2 PHs and Hasten was up. My friend logged his wizard and I did the MQ on my druid for him, then I logged my wizard and he did the MQ for me on his necro (level 53 as well).

All in all, it did take us a full day to make it.

But honestly? It is not worth 7kpp. It is very doable, even for casual scum like us :)
And the Sro camp is completely crazy, I really don't think you want to get into that game.

You will have to spend a full day off on it, prepare some side activity like Netflix, Reading or whatever kicks you, but get to OoT and just do it, it is not that long/hard :)

Good luck! It was a very satisfying moment to quest it and get them boots on my Wizard, I never thought I could ever get such an item in my EQ life hehe.

Jimjam
09-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Get a Staff of Temperate Flux (instaclick ranged aggro) and be prebuffed sow/wolf form by a 60 druid (or use potions) before attempting the S Ro cyclops.

I've won FTE several times on my wizard like this, and it is my preferred way to get jboots for my alts.

Shout out to Doubleace who beat me in a race once, and sold me the ring loot rights for 2k because she had seen me attempting it a few times on my SK.

Anyway, grats on your 26 min ring! Good job to you and your friend.

Rivera
09-27-2017, 10:05 PM
Nice feelgood thread, glad you got your boots. Yes it's not that bad, but OOT really does bring out the worst in people.