PDA

View Full Version : clearly original devs didn't like warriors

Topgunben
05-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Warriors got butt jacked big league. I hate say it, but warriors are the worst class in the game and also my favorite. Even with ultra fab gear, they still can't gold their own.

Verant decided in the games development to make a really low dps class, with a smidgen of hp bonus, and a propensity for dieing. this class would do less damage than all other classes, tank worse than a pal, sk, or monk, and have a taunt skill that does virtually nothing. The class would also be utterly reliant on gear and other characters for pitty exp.

The End

Kender
05-11-2017, 07:00 PM
they hated them so much that the made them the only ones capable of taking a punch to the face from the biggest bosses in the game

Squabbles123
05-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Warriors got butt jacked big league. I hate say it, but warriors are the worst class in the game and also my favorite. Even with ultra fab gear, they still can't gold their own.

Verant decided in the games development to make a really low dps class, with a smidgen of hp bonus, and a propensity for dieing. this class would do less damage than all other classes, tank worse than a pal, sk, or monk, and have a taunt skill that does virtually nothing. The class would also be utterly reliant on gear and other characters for pitty exp.

The End

Its important to remember with Taunt, that it ONLY has a chance to work (and it is a chance) if the mob is NOT already focused on you. So if you're spamming it during combat, thats why its not doing much for you.

Really in order to hold aggro with a warrior you either need great DPS and/or a weapon that procs an ability to draw extra threat. Warriors actually can get pretty nuts DPS through the mid-levels, but it requires like 10,000 in weapons (namely, a Wurmslayer + fast or proccing off-hand), and with those you can hold aggro pretty easily.

They do have it rough though, I picked Paladin for my "tank" character. Warriors are needed for raiding though.

branamil
05-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Honestly I hate grouping with warriors, their aggro sucks. SK and Pally can get aggro back instantly.

skarlorn
05-11-2017, 07:22 PM
warriors are the best at the end tho lol you just haven't gotten evasive yet nerd

Sarl
05-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Clearly a troll move this thread to RnF pls =)

Topgunben
05-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Clearly a troll move this thread to RnF pls =)

Please prove me wrong

Caiu
05-11-2017, 08:23 PM
What.
The entire end game encounters are designed around your tank being a warrior. So yeah it's not gonna be like a mage or necro where you can afk faceroll to 60 easily. As with most classes the majority don't necessarily give it their all but if you've ever grouped a competent warrior they will put other tank classes to shame. I believe that the bad rap they get managing aggro is that most players don't want to think to much about positioning and how to more efficiently manage their own aggro. Which they dont with Hybrid tanks. As a warrior you basically have to learn how to set up and run a camp while your pullers go out and do their thing.

Interesting tidbit with some broken discipline tricks warriors can put out the highest melee DPS in the game bar none on encounters. PC dps that is as some of the stuff in PoG is pew pew and probably other raid zones with charmable mobs.

Have you ever played a Paladin or SK btw? Their damage tables are laughable compared to actual melee archtypes. Although this is to be altered on one of the final p99 patches I believe.

P.S. lern2taunt

paulgiamatti
05-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Honestly I hate grouping with warriors, their aggro sucks. SK and Pally can get aggro back instantly.

Warrior aggro is contingent on the rest of the group not sucking as well as the warrior knowing what they're doing. Usually when a warrior's aggro sucks it's because other DPS classes are dummies who don't know how to control their aggro. In other words, when a warrior has difficulty keeping aggro it's usually because the rest of the group sucks, not them.

A good hybrid tank shouldn't have to get aggro back. If a hybrid loses aggro at any point after engaging a mob in any group, they suck. Period.

Cecily
05-11-2017, 09:12 PM
End game, and I mean end game, warriors are pretty much rogues with tremendous hp. My friend abandoned his rogue to main warrior in Velious. Was a smart decision as it lead to a much more interesting and versatile character. #1 DPS if he wants to, and very respectable DPS if he doesn't.

Foggon
05-11-2017, 09:37 PM
You're right man, warriors get the shaft so hard. Even the epic quest is ridiculously hard to complete. The thing is though.. that hard life makes the end game that much more special. As a true warrior main I have to say there's something unique about the weight of the cornerstone the warriors hold up during the big fights. Just being so practically worthless for so long, then suddenly becoming the dam that stops the mobs from rippin and a tearin.

Idk man, every class has it's perks! I'll never be able to go places and do things my necro can on my warrior, but there's just something about a cobalt breastplate that gives everybody that's ever played this game a warm feeling ya know.

Topgunben
05-11-2017, 09:57 PM
You're right man, warriors get the shaft so hard. Even the epic quest is ridiculously hard to complete. The thing is though.. that hard life makes the end game that much more special. As a true warrior main I have to say there's something unique about the weight of the cornerstone the warriors hold up during the big fights. Just being so practically worthless for so long, then suddenly becoming the dam that stops the mobs from rippin and a tearin.

Idk man, every class has it's perks! I'll never be able to go places and do things my necro can on my warrior, but there's just something about a cobalt breastplate that gives everybody that's ever played this game a warm feeling ya know.

Slow Clap

mickmoranis
05-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Warriors are awesome, after 3 years and 2 expansions.

paulgiamatti
05-11-2017, 10:06 PM
The green scales and queen blade are really just a cruel joke. Why doesn't Trakanon drop the green scales?!

Naethyn
05-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Paladins get lay on hands. Shadowknights get harm touch. Warriors get a text indicator for the cleric to heal him.

The best thing a warrior has going for them happens at 50+

Also, there is this sliding scale that keeps getting higher for things in this game that just are incapable of killing you. The top end of this server will have you being missed by most things kunark and lower and while evasive is running we can include velious too.

edit: and we benefit the most from gear so that is kinda cool on a server where gear isn't as required as other versions of eq.

heartbrand
05-11-2017, 10:33 PM
warrior with precision is best DPS in game wut?

Naethyn
05-11-2017, 10:41 PM
warrior with precision is best DPS in game wut?

/GU Derakor the Vindicator in 144s, 188k @1303 --- Naethyn 18k --- Zerious 15k --- Samila 14k --- A Drakkel Dire Wolf 11k --- Luddo 11k --- Cashrip 9k --- Kelzaraz 9k --- Fullpint 8k --- Garou 7k --- Narshe 7k

/GU Derakor the Vindicator in 163s, 206k @1262 --- Naethyn 19k --- Rupees 18k --- Mudwart 17k --- Seedss 17k --- Sweati 16k --- Demons 16k --- Braap 15k --- Samila 12k --- Quickfist 10k --- Dennys 10k

demonstar55
05-11-2017, 11:10 PM
they hated them so much that the made them the only ones capable of taking a punch to the face from the biggest bosses in the game

Until disciplines came out it was mostly just gear and skill caps the made a difference in their tanking abilities. AC Mitigation was hardcapped until very late luclin. Sometime during velious I think they adjusted the hardcaps based on level/class, but before that, everyone had 350 mitigation hardcap. Which was very easy to reach with a warrior and some raid gear.

Caiu
05-12-2017, 12:42 AM
Precision disc during the duration of it's activity you will never miss. Couple this with low health and yeah warriors can top dps. But I think you would be limited to a dps role and not an actual tanking position on the encounter.

KEWLGET
05-12-2017, 01:08 AM
The green scales and queen blade are really just a cruel joke. Why doesn't Trakanon drop the green scales?!

trakanon was a blue dragon

paulgiamatti
05-12-2017, 01:40 AM
trakanon was a blue dragon

He's greener than a motherfucker!

Swish
05-12-2017, 01:52 AM
/GU Derakor the Vindicator in 144s, 188k @1303 --- Naethyn 18k --- Zerious 15k --- Samila 14k --- A Drakkel Dire Wolf 11k --- Luddo 11k --- Cashrip 9k --- Kelzaraz 9k --- Fullpint 8k --- Garou 7k --- Narshe 7k

/GU Derakor the Vindicator in 163s, 206k @1262 --- Naethyn 19k --- Rupees 18k --- Mudwart 17k --- Seedss 17k --- Sweati 16k --- Demons 16k --- Braap 15k --- Samila 12k --- Quickfist 10k --- Dennys 10k

Funny, I always top my DPS meters too :)

Jimjam
05-12-2017, 02:44 AM

The End

Interestingly, bash stun was meant to generate similar aggro to spell stun, they just goofed up. It was only around the time of DoN that the devs realised they had goofed the code. They didn't bother fixing it, because the balance of the game had shifted so much since vanilla and itemisation had changed to fit around this broken mechanic. Similarly for many years taunt was not programmed to function as intended (almost zero success rate on high cons), so using that mechanic to keep aggro sucked too.

Regardless, EQ was designed to be a collaborative game. I have zero problems with the group game being designed around rooting a mob and having the melee sit on top of it swinging. I actually find it more interesting than just spamming aggro abilities
for autotank.they hated them so much that the made them the only ones capable of taking a punch to the face from the biggest bosses in the game

Only from Kunark is this really the case (evasive/defensive discs).

End game, and I mean end game, warriors are pretty much rogues with tremendous hp. My friend abandoned his rogue to main warrior in Velious. Was a smart decision as it lead to a much more interesting and versatile character. #1 DPS if he wants to, and very respectable DPS if he doesn't.

This is an interesting point, when I was on live and I rolled my raiding character one of the reasons I chose warrior is because our scrub raids always had rogues drop like flies. I realised if I rolled warrior I could survive the entire fight my living scrub warrior would outdamage a dead scrub rogue, especially with some of the discs warriors had access to!

Ivah
05-12-2017, 03:06 AM

The End

Threads like this really make my day. Can we get some more senseless knowledge up in here?

Swish
05-12-2017, 03:37 AM
You know original EQ wasn't meant to be a game intended for soloing, you were supposed to make new friends and be a team

T ogether
Everyone
A chieves
M ore

<3

Sidenote: Rogues also can't do much solo. It's not fair you guys.

Tarskin
05-12-2017, 04:49 AM
It is very clear that the OP either rolled a warrior as his main and is struggling through the mid levels (which is really horrendous on a server where most people are twinked to some extent) or he is trolling.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and expert the former, in which case all I can say is to hang on and in the end game, we are awesome sauce with a cherry on top.

Jimjam
05-12-2017, 05:04 AM
Yeah, if you are a struggling warrior, one of the absolute best things you can do is to ask the wizard or ranger in the group if they would be kind enough to root the tanked mob.

Stand on it's toes and it will swing at you regardless of who is on the top of the hate list.

This is a great strategy as whilst the mob is rooted it can be slowed 1) without having the mob move out of place and 2) the warrior has 30 seconds to drop a couple of taunts to try piggyback off that high initial slow aggro.

I've levelled several warriors on p1999, often with 'self found' gear, and even with lacklustre weapons, I've found it trivial to control tanking provided a little effort towards communication and team work was made.

Note, once mobs are in their 50s they will begin summoning. While they will continue to face whoever is the closest player, they will actually swing at the most hated player within melee range.

Ennewi
05-12-2017, 06:07 AM
It's fitting that warriors take time to come into their own from 1-60 given that they take time to get aggro on a mob. Not even looking at tankability, war aggro nowadays seems way better compared to before, pre-Velious. Try peeling aggro off a warrior 2 minutes into a fight in HoT. A warrior with Infest/Frost. I've tried on SK just for yucks, refresh spamming sv/dis cloud ad nauseam, and it felt demoralizing, utterly futile.

Lifebar
05-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Warrior was my main (and only) on live from Kunark until I quit in GoD. I was not a raider, and I just assumed the game was way harder than it is. :(

Tetsuo
05-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Green Dragon Scales + Efreeti Belt (only 41% haste belt requiring the efreeti spawns)

Someone somewhere wanted to make warrior gear a pain in the bum

Nahilu
05-12-2017, 09:44 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Silken_Whip_of_Ensnaring
https://wiki.project1999.com/Glaive_of_Marltek

When we talks of warrior and aggro

Snare is the answer with DEX

Boon of the Garou from ENC 200 DEX + with Snare proc weapon

No one will steal u aggro anymore

Vexenu
05-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Warriors are definitely a hardcore class. They really only shine in the hands of dedicated, guild-oriented players. Terrible class for casual or primarily small group/solo players.

That being said, there is nothing more glorious to behold in EQ than a level 60 geared out Warrior with all the bells and whistles. Truly impressive characters. Probably the best raiding toon you could have.

Caiu
05-12-2017, 10:04 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Silken_Whip_of_Ensnaring
https://wiki.project1999.com/Glaive_of_Marltek

When we talks of warrior and aggro

Snare is the answer with DEX

Boon of the Garou from ENC 200 DEX + with Snare proc weapon

No one will steal u aggro anymore
https://wiki.project1999.com/Anklesmasher

Just one of the many gems to look forward to next patch.