PDA

View Full Version : Things I should "work on" while leveling?

shuklak
05-10-2017, 07:15 AM
I'm just wondering if there are things that I can do for exp that I will end up doing later? I'm 49 now and apparently camping some stuff for the VP key was recommended. Not sure how hard it is, but makes sense to me to camp it while I can get exp rather than just kill time at 60.

Are there other things like that?

Jimjam
05-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Keeping defence capped early on goes a long way. Hell, I think the cap at 60 is the same as 40 for silkies.

Jimjam
05-10-2017, 07:56 AM
(missed the 30 min edit window)

S Ro jboots you may be able to do. Perhaps you could bind there and xp in Guk / Oasis and check back every 8pm?

RDawg816
05-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Killing berzerkers for your OT hammer is always worth it, if you can do the turn-ins.

welly321
05-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Killing berzerkers for your OT hammer is always worth it, if you can do the turn-ins.

Not really considering its much easier to farm 2k (especially as a mage) and pay for a puppet strings charge. The amount of braids you have to turn in to get to amiably is crazy and you have to forgo grouping in KC and HS until you do it.

Baler
05-10-2017, 08:39 AM
In all my time playing EQ. I've learned that Anything you do other than killing for exp will slow down your leveling speed tremendously. Now I know that sounds stupid but seriously all that stuff can wait till you're 60.

Get HS key, Get Seb Key, Get CS Tooth. Get a Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap, Vial of Velium Vapors and OT Hammer.

I don't recommend tradeskills. They are a plat sink and slow down leveling.

Be aware of factions you just may be killing mobs on a faction that has a quest you'll want to do later.

Finally if you seriously plan on getting your epic. Start working on that earlier than later.

Izmael
05-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Every time you make 10% of your exp bar (5% post 50, 2% post 55, 1% post 59), do 10 pushups with proper form.

You're welcome.

loramin
05-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Since you're 49, camp the mythical Driftwood Treasure Chest in Kedge.

...that's actually horrid advice btw, took me 300 hours to get one.

If you think that's bad, look at my magelo: I have seven of them :D. I did them all at 60, and would not recommend the camp for XP, as the named (Ferocious Hammerhead) would probably be pretty rough for anyone who can get XP off the placeholder.

Same thing with the Pained Soul (which I'm currently at hour 20-something on): IF you can get XP from the placeholder but you can still kill the Pained Soul and you want to raid VP someday then maybe, but I'd imagine that's a relatively small level range.

In general, I pretty much agree with Baler: just focus on leveling. However the one suggestion I do have is to do Temple of Droga (or Mines of Nurga for anyone lower level who is reading this) when they're level appropriate. As long as you can deal with the casters it's a great place to level, plus Droga has a couple of good loot camps. But even if you just kill random goblins you'll still pick up a decent amount fo fine steel weapons and such, and you'll build up Chardok faction and get Green Goblin Skins and Mountain Death Salts.

When the Chardok revamp comes (next major patch) you'll be able to turn those items in for more faction, and then with all that faction you got "for free" you can get a couple nice items:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Regal_Band_of_Bathezid
http://wiki.project1999.com/Spirit_Wracked_Cord

RDawg816
05-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Not really considering its much easier to farm 2k (especially as a mage) and pay for a puppet strings charge. The amount of braids you have to turn in to get to amiably is crazy and you have to forgo grouping in KC and HS until you do it.
It's good exp. I've had a hammer on all my characters around 40-42, way before you'd be in KC and HS. Buying a hammer is lazy if you can do the faction WHILE leveling. :)

welly321
05-10-2017, 01:30 PM
It's good exp. I've had a hammer on all my characters around 40-42, way before you'd be in KC and HS. Buying a hammer is lazy if you can do the faction WHILE leveling. :)

Just curious how many braids you actually turned in because you will over level the berserkers by a long shot just to collect enough to get to amiable

RDawg816
05-10-2017, 01:48 PM
It varies based on which character you're on, but I've never outleveled berserkers while doing the quest. You just need to know where to find them. :)

skarlorn
05-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Some people love the race to 60. Other's like to enjoy the world while levelling. I am the latter.

I would recommend doing parts of your epic quest that you can. These quests are usually really fun and interesting.

here's a suggestion:
group up with 5 other low 50s and try to take over seafury island. you could hold a few spawns for sure and it would be hilarious.

also, start going to lower level dungeons and camping cheap old world drops. It can be fun to go inside Mistmoore and journey through the inner castle.

dude
05-10-2017, 03:15 PM
I think what works best is first work on not dying, you level a lot faster that way. Some things to consider not doing, I for one hate it when I do the following not in any order;
root myself in front of the npc, when trying to re root the npc. (1 time honest)
nuke myself (2 times no deaths yet sure if i try it will happen)
DOT myself (died to this like 6 times)
Root then DOT myself (didn't die but was close)

I have had some horrible targeting issues, the re root thing happened last night was not cool.

Troxx
05-10-2017, 04:06 PM

Unless you camp these braids at an appropriate level. Hunting berzerkers and doing this quest over and over yields very good experience. On my monk, sham, and necromancer I hunted OT berzerkers for both xp and faction. The xp was good, the faction was a bonus of the good xp (killing and quest turn-in) and the net result was I had amiable faction and my OT hammer before the mobs themselves went green.

So yeah ... if you "work on" it while leveling, you accomplish both your leveling and your hammer (saving 2k +/-).

It's worth it.

shuklak
05-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Unless you camp these braids at an appropriate level. Hunting berzerkers and doing this quest over and over yields very good experience. On my monk, sham, and necromancer I hunted OT berzerkers for both xp and faction. The xp was good, the faction was a bonus of the good xp (killing and quest turn-in) and the net result was I had amiable faction and my OT hammer before the mobs themselves went green.

So yeah ... if you "work on" it while leveling, you accomplish both your leveling and your hammer (saving 2k +/-).

It's worth it.what level range it's that good for? 49 now

Shodo
05-10-2017, 05:19 PM
The mobs will be green to you at this point but you'd probably still get like 1% per turnins on braids. So not really worth it at 49 unless you just dislike buying it. Takes something like 40-50 turnins if you start off apprehensive.

Lhancelot
05-10-2017, 05:57 PM
The mobs will be green to you at this point but you'd probably still get like 1% per turnins on braids. So not really worth it at 49 unless you just dislike buying it. Takes something like 40-50 turnins if you start off apprehensive.

My friend said it took him 30 turn ins, he was on his ogre shaman when he did the braids. I am working it myself on an alt, so I am curious how many turn ins it will take me.

TimTheToolmanTaylor
05-10-2017, 07:35 PM
making friends and love starring at pixel walls. thats the true path to success on p99.

Tetsuo
05-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Soul leech for your epic can cost like a 100k so better start saving up, at least it isn't 400k like the warrior epic

shuklak
05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Soul leech for your epic can cost like a 100k so better start saving up, at least it isn't 400k like the warrior epic

+1 for Agnarr?...

dude
05-11-2017, 03:38 PM
I just dinged 50 off of braids. some zerkers are no exp but some are, and the knights are still good. the turn ins provided good exp.

Dezik
05-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Every time you make 10% of your exp bar (5% post 50, 2% post 55, 1% post 59), do 10 pushups with proper form.

You're welcome.

This except make it 50 push-ups.. 100 sit ups.. 10 pull-ups

Swish
05-12-2017, 02:06 AM
+1 for Agnarr?...

Not really, it's watered down EQ with updated zones that shouldn't be there, a cash shop, instances before they should be added on the timeline, unbalanced classes versus what we had in 1999-2003, etc etc.

"I'm playing for nostalgia" say some players. Okay then. Someone on the forums made a good point when they said "No, you're just paying for a fresh server with no mudflation"

Izmael
05-12-2017, 02:58 AM
This except make it 50 push-ups.. 100 sit ups.. 10 pull-ups

That would be unsustainable except for the most athletic motherfuckers on the server.

Lhancelot
05-12-2017, 03:26 AM
That would be unsustainable except for the most athletic motherfuckers on the server.

pretty sure the chances of an olympic style athlete being on p99 is next to nil.

Tetsuo
05-12-2017, 09:06 AM
+1 for Agnarr?...

If you plan to get your epic depending on your class it can cost A LOT of money or killing your social life poopsocking with A/A. Its better to not get your hopes up and sugar coat things when it comes to end game P99.

"This except make it 50 push-ups.. 100 sit ups.. 10 pull-ups"
"That would be unsustainable except for the most athletic motherfuckers on the server."
I don't think I can do 10 push ups or any pull ups

Dezik
05-13-2017, 10:12 AM
pretty sure the chances of an olympic style athlete being on p99 is next to nil.

Please.. I do sets of these every day and am nowhere near an Olympic athlete.

Izmael
05-14-2017, 04:54 AM
Every 1% of exp though.

thebutthat
05-14-2017, 07:07 AM
11 year army vet, and now a mail carrier. I'm in great shape and that would have me barfing after an hour. But, i do like the idea.

Jimjam
05-14-2017, 10:15 AM
You guys make xp way faster than me. I could spread each set of exercises out over a week, easily!