PDA

View Full Version : Beastlords?

Kytross
05-10-2017, 05:29 AM
I see on the wiki the plan is to go to Luclin. So we're going to eventually have Kitties and beastlords?

That's awesome!

Pyrion
05-10-2017, 05:45 AM
I don't know where you read it (Link?), but your information is wrong. This server is only going to velious and is almost complete (i think maybe one more patch or 2). There was some talk about the possibility of customized new content, but no Luclin.

Baler
05-10-2017, 06:55 AM
I see on the wiki the plan is to go to Luclin.
This is False.

But I can understand how one might get confused if they look at this without spending days on the forums reading staff posts nestled in obscure threads.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Timeline

They've removed so much of the luclin+ code that it would be painstaking to re-add it. So no Beastlord, AA or cats on the moon. Just pure classic-velious everquest.

Kytross
05-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Well poop. Beastlord was my favorite class. Alas and alack.

Halius
05-10-2017, 10:29 AM
My question is, will this show up????

The short-lived "Project M" is introduced, where players can spawn as monsters (Nov. 7)

This was a lot of fun.

loramin
05-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Well poop. Beastlord was my favorite class. Alas and alack.

There are other servers (Agnarr, Takp, Project 2002, etc.) with beastlords. They're all inferior in other ways to this server, but they do have beastlords.

Here you're "stuck with" monk or shaman, both of which are powerful and fun-to-play classes.

Vheran
05-10-2017, 12:44 PM
My question is, will this show up????

The short-lived "Project M" is introduced, where players can spawn as monsters (Nov. 7)

This was a lot of fun.

It was fun but also flawed, hence why they took it off on live. Lots of newbie greifing

mrbx1
05-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Are there truly any newbies to grief on this server now? very few i would guess

welly321
05-10-2017, 01:34 PM

You'd be surprised

Philaw
05-10-2017, 02:10 PM

started three weeks or so ago

Sage Truthbearer
05-10-2017, 02:22 PM
No Luclin but I agree that Beastlords were dope, it would have been fun to play one on here.

Baler
05-10-2017, 02:55 PM

I met 4 brand new p99 players earlier today alone. 2 of which played back in the day and the other 2 came from live. :) Not only that, they were all from across the globe.
I made sure to buff them up and give them the short and dirty, basically recommended them to head towards EC as it's the highest pop zone.

The nostalgia is strong on P99 and it's awesome! :D Best private EQ server and more classic than live progression hands down.
And to those who think p99 has too much gloom and doom. Get out of the raid timers and item camps. Go out and socialize with people there are some really awesome friendly people playing at ALL levels! I've had more fun adventuring with lower level players than higher level ones. It really is one of the special common unions we all share as p99 players. Work for what you get and invest time in a game we all love.

Troxx
05-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Luclin brought some fantastic spells along with aas (rounded out all classes very nicely). Luclin also came with some significant drawbacks.

Of those drawbacks ... the following stand out ferociously:

-Paludal caverns: if this zone ever hit p99, newbie zones and the open world of EQ as we know it from levels 1-30 would basically become ghost towns. This zone had an insane xp mod that basically fast tracked a player through a really enjoyable part of the game. While some people might want to skip this - having this available would not be good for the low level community and would destroy a lot of what made classic eq so great. Classic eq lowbie zones were not convenient. They were peppered with high level mobs (griffons, sand giants, etc) that made hunting there risky at times. Experience was not 'fast' and required even the low end portion of the playerbase to establish a community of sorts. Having PC available would shuttle most of this aspect of a game through a narrow and accelerated funnel.

-Bazaar: some loved it. some hated it. For p99 it would be a big downer as it would (especially when combined with the above) drive east commonlands and all remnants of a player-driven economy/community into the ground. While some like to shit on the 'fat cats' and many loathe spending their time here peddling their wares - it makes for a vibrant hub that's active 24/7.

-Spires: probably the least of evils listed here. You had to wait potentially 15 minutes to port up then 15 minutes to port down - that's a draw back. Despite that, traveling across Antonica in the absence of a port at low levels goes from risky and super time consuming to not risky and a lot less time consuming. At best, this just makes the world feel smaller. At worst, it kills off an aspect in classic that required a community (and economy) to allow for more timely travel.

Aside from that - our server population really isn't all that big. Spreading it out further would leave many of the classic eq zones as relative ghost towns. I'd love to see aa's. The introduction of aa's would give level 60s something to do other than just camp in/out for raid targets and farm cash loot. I personally would love to have a reason to play my xp capped characters for something that didn't just involve chasing pixel wealth (in the item/cash sense). I'm also of the opinion that the spells launched in the luclin expansion were just plain *GOOD*. Having those spell available? It'd be really nice. Beastlords? Beastlords were a cool class that was appropriately powerful and fun to play. More raid targets? Yeah I'd call that a plus as well. Anything that spreads out the raiding portion of our game across more content is a good thing. The raid scene is already quite toxic and over-populated.

As much as I'd like to see some aspects of luclin implemented, I don't think Luclin as a whole would help p99. Luclin would only spread out and isolate swaths of our population. It would dilute many of the unique things that make this server special.

I've got mixed feelings. For the most part, however, I'm glad that this server stops with velious.

Siege_Turtle
05-10-2017, 04:41 PM
I wanted to chime in and say that if custom content were to be considered for this server, Beastlords would make my day.

My Troll Beastlord, on Live, was my favorite character and I loved my alligator warder, which sadly got changed to that ugly basilisk and was a reason I quit a long time ago. To be able to go through classic Everquest as a Beastlord with my alligator warder would make this server perfect, to me.

Of course, I realize the following:

1. Beastlords aren't considered classic since they came out with Luclin and the server's vision is through Velious.

2. Assuming Luclin will not be implemented on this server, attempting to add just the Beastlord class, and nothing else from Luclin, can not only be a huge endeavor, but also a huge headache. A new epic quest would have to be made, since from memory it took place entirely on Luclin. There is also equipment, loot tables to edit, spells and spell drops, and other stuff I am sure would need to be considered. If Beastlord coding has been removed, as mentioned earlier, that would be a nightmare to reinsert, test, and work out the bugs.

Still, if it ever happened, Beastlord would be my new main on this server.

Kich867
05-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Luclin brought some fantastic spells along with aas (rounded out all classes very nicely). Luclin also came with some significant drawbacks.

Of those drawbacks ... the following stand out ferociously:

-Paludal caverns: if this zone ever hit p99, newbie zones and the open world of EQ as we know it from levels 1-30 would basically become ghost towns. This zone had an insane xp mod that basically fast tracked a player through a really enjoyable part of the game. While some people might want to skip this - having this available would not be good for the low level community and would destroy a lot of what made classic eq so great. Classic eq lowbie zones were not convenient. They were peppered with high level mobs (griffons, sand giants, etc) that made hunting there risky at times. Experience was not 'fast' and required even the low end portion of the playerbase to establish a community of sorts. Having PC available would shuttle most of this aspect of a game through a narrow and accelerated funnel.

-Bazaar: some loved it. some hated it. For p99 it would be a big downer as it would (especially when combined with the above) drive east commonlands and all remnants of a player-driven economy/community into the ground. While some like to shit on the 'fat cats' and many loathe spending their time here peddling their wares - it makes for a vibrant hub that's active 24/7.

-Spires: probably the least of evils listed here. You had to wait potentially 15 minutes to port up then 15 minutes to port down - that's a draw back. Despite that, traveling across Antonica in the absence of a port at low levels goes from risky and super time consuming to not risky and a lot less time consuming. At best, this just makes the world feel smaller. At worst, it kills off an aspect in classic that required a community (and economy) to allow for more timely travel.

Aside from that - our server population really isn't all that big. Spreading it out further would leave many of the classic eq zones as relative ghost towns. I'd love to see aa's. The introduction of aa's would give level 60s something to do other than just camp in/out for raid targets and farm cash loot. I personally would love to have a reason to play my xp capped characters for something that didn't just involve chasing pixel wealth (in the item/cash sense). I'm also of the opinion that the spells launched in the luclin expansion were just plain *GOOD*. Having those spell available? It'd be really nice. Beastlords? Beastlords were a cool class that was appropriately powerful and fun to play. More raid targets? Yeah I'd call that a plus as well. Anything that spreads out the raiding portion of our game across more content is a good thing. The raid scene is already quite toxic and over-populated.

As much as I'd like to see some aspects of luclin implemented, I don't think Luclin as a whole would help p99. Luclin would only spread out and isolate swaths of our population. It would dilute many of the unique things that make this server special.

I've got mixed feelings. For the most part, however, I'm glad that this server stops with velious.

This is super insightful--ty for this. I'm on and off working on my own private server (focusing most heavily on class / game balance redesign rather than content). I agree with pretty much the whole post. My focus is to curate only the content I think was helpful or useful--things like an expanded bank, shared bank slots, guild management tools, etc. from the later expansions.

If I ever really focus on it, I'll definitely keep in mind making sure things like Paludal Caverns don't exist.

maskedmelonpai
05-10-2017, 09:06 PM
... alack.

this here ameliorate my view of you and you bad ideas. i gonna adopt it since you so careless with it.

Kytross
05-10-2017, 11:22 PM
this here ameliorate my view of you and you bad ideas. i gonna adopt it since you so careless with it.

I just wanted to play a Beastlord. I thought it was a pretty good idea. :cool:

aaezil
05-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Just pure classic-velious everquest.

This is false

Baler
05-11-2017, 04:34 AM
This is false

Oh okay so tell me another server that is as era accurate at p99. Oh wait you can't because it doesn't exist. P99 is the most pure classic-velious everquest server available. Nothing I said was false. Some may be opinion based but what you're disagreeing with is entirely not false.

Troxx
05-11-2017, 09:35 AM
p99 is as close to classic as you'll find anywhere ...

But there are quite a lot of not classic things on this server.

Amyas
05-11-2017, 09:38 AM
I see on the wiki the plan is to go to Luclin. So we're going to eventually have Kitties and beastlords?

That's awesome!

I would love for 9pp to go luclin! The last lv 60 exp would be amazing for the server imo. The end game content is way to flooded and I wanna farm AAs!

Kytross
05-12-2017, 07:10 AM
What about a limited release?

The Kitty city with one working spire, probably to GFay or Freeport area.

The Beastlords and trainers/vendors in appropriate cities.

AAs - probably the easiest thing to implement. No additional zones required.

Selected end game zones. I'm not sure which ones we would want, so I don't have specific recommendations.

What do you all think? Is this something worth suggesting to the people who run this wonderland we get to play in?

fadetree
05-12-2017, 07:40 AM
No. It will never happen. There have been hundreds of these threads already.
It's not a bad idea in itself, but it's never going to happen here.

Beastagoog
05-12-2017, 10:45 PM
@OP

Luclin is coming out after:

C-dok 2.0
Discord Server
Teams Server
Re-released time appropriate server that will then lead in to Luclin

(so in 2025)

Swish
05-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Discord is upon us (almost)

Secrets
05-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Beastlords are possibly the only real reason to play EQ.

But they won't be on P99.

Kytross
05-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Beastlords are possibly the only real reason to play EQ.

But they won't be on P99.

I wouldn't go that far. There are thousands of reasons to play EQ, especially here on p99. This server has gotten it right. The death penalty gives me a real sense of dread when things start going downhill. The long travel makes me consider my options, do research and manage my time/plat. I took my Magician into Neriak to buy summon spells, chancing the wrath of the Dark Elves, to see if I could buy them there because I didn't have enough plat for a port to Toxx and then back to FP, an option I never would have pursued if PoP or the Luclin Nexus were live on p99. It was scary, but awesome. P99 gets everything right.

I like Beastlords. They were my favorite class back when I played on live. I would love to play one here on p99. I think they would make a great addition. But I'd rather have the server the way it is right now then break this amazing balance the creators have set up here.