PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite non-Classic feature on p99?

shuklak
05-09-2017, 05:31 AM
I might say queued tells is mine...

And yours?

Swish
05-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Auction trackers for item price manipulation, the fat cat's paradise

Spyder73
05-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Having the LFG tool able to be pulled up only to see it has been intentionally disabled. The LFG tool is probably the best addition there ever was to EQ

RedSlave
05-09-2017, 08:41 AM
I love that the Find button reminds me that there is nothing easily found.

Izmael
05-09-2017, 09:03 AM
best: 3rd person camera, not even close.

worst: leashing. Makes stuff like crit calm resist pulling Ghost of Kindle to zone in impossible, which makes me very sad.

RedSlave
05-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Not having to stare at your spell book to med is pretty great.

jolanar
05-09-2017, 09:18 AM

This. I could not play here if I couldn't zoom out with the mouse wheel.

Aside from that, having the item linking is pretty handy.

Jimjam
05-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Windowed mode.

HedleyKow
05-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Customizable interface. Which wasn't added until luclin.

Squabbles123
05-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Simply being able to see the world through more than a 4x4 inch box.

Lhancelot
05-09-2017, 11:13 AM
When you med, you should have to look at your spell book. Not sure when they changed that though on Live.

Cecily
05-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Customer service

Baler
05-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Faster internet speeds and more internet bandwidth.

I think they should emulate the internet connection as it was back in the day!

Lhancelot
05-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Funny thing is, I don't recall thinking the connection was bad then.

The only thing I remember is some guys zoned faster than me, like when I zoned to avoid a death in pvp, and the guy killing me zoned faster so as I zoned into the new zone before I even got fully zoned in he was beating me dead.

Squabbles123
05-09-2017, 11:58 AM

I have been wondering if the "lag" in relation to server ticks and such while medding were influenced by our new age net connections, the server expects a delay that doesn't exist and it creates the "off-tick" effect we see.

EQ was designed for 56k dial-up modems after-all, it probably expects a delay from us thats longer than we actually need.

I know nothing about the code though, just a theory.

skarlorn
05-09-2017, 12:36 PM
the playerbase

Nirgon
05-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Being able to see clearly as a human at night time

Jimjam
05-09-2017, 12:52 PM
This thread is obvious Haynar bait, btw!

Nirgon
05-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Good

Zarachiel
05-09-2017, 09:10 PM
WR bags off of a level 12 mob.

Izmael
05-14-2017, 04:57 AM
When you med, you should have to look at your spell book. Not sure when they changed that though on Live.

I think during Velious.

Also, before the change, you only needed to have the book open until level 35 (or was it 30?)

Ragain
05-14-2017, 07:46 AM
I have been wondering if the "lag" in relation to server ticks and such while medding were influenced by our new age net connections, the server expects a delay that doesn't exist and it creates the "off-tick" effect we see.

EQ was designed for 56k dial-up modems after-all, it probably expects a delay from us thats longer than we actually need.

I know nothing about the code though, just a theory.

Pretty sure the off-tick thing is because the client launcher tick is different then the server tick.

RedSlave
05-14-2017, 11:04 AM

I would not play a caster if that were still the case.

One Tin Soldier
05-14-2017, 11:38 AM

I'm not sure what you're talking about, EQ always had 3rd person. The only thing that changed about it was that during vanilla, in the good 3rd person view, you could only zoom back and in and you couldn't raise/lower or tilt the angle of the camera. During velious they changed it so you could do those things. So it's all entirely classic.

pogs4ever
05-14-2017, 11:48 AM
not having agreed upon server raiding rotation schedule on a geocities webpage.

rathe confirmed best classic server.

Sage Truthbearer
05-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Being able to cycle through nearby targets with a hotkey.

Izmael
05-15-2017, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about, EQ always had 3rd person. The only thing that changed about it was that during vanilla, in the good 3rd person view, you could only zoom back and in and you couldn't raise/lower or tilt the angle of the camera. During velious they changed it so you could do those things. So it's all entirely classic.

I don't think mouse wheel zoom worked in classic. I think it has been added with Titanium which is post-Velious.

Back then you'd have to use F9 and that's it. Try playing a session without ever using the mouse scroll wheel to see what I mean.

One Tin Soldier
05-15-2017, 04:25 PM
I don't think mouse wheel zoom worked in classic. I think it has been added with Titanium which is post-Velious.

Back then you'd have to use F9 and that's it. Try playing a session without ever using the mouse scroll wheel to see what I mean.

You're right, no mouse wheel zoom. I don't think my mouse even had a wheel back then. But you could zoom in and out using buttons. I think it was 7 and 1 on the number pad. Pretty sure it was.

Izmael
05-15-2017, 04:41 PM
You're right, no mouse wheel zoom. I don't think my mouse even had a wheel back then. But you could zoom in and out using buttons. I think it was 7 and 1 on the number pad. Pretty sure it was.

This is literally the first time I hear of it and I played 2000-2002. Anyone else confirm this existed during Velious? That would make the current zoom in/out very classic.

(But I doubt it)

Squabbles123
05-15-2017, 04:44 PM

Correct, classic didn't support a scroll wheel because scroll wheels hadn't been invented yet.

Kich867
05-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Pretty sure the off-tick thing is because the client launcher tick is different then the server tick.

I think the real question, from a programmer's perspective, is why does the client have a tick? The server corrects it, it'll always correct it, the client shouldn't ever try to simulate the server. It's also, I'm fairly sure, the reason why the notification of critical hit damage is way off.

I don't think I've ever seen the critical hit damage announced to the area VS seeing the white damage match up.

loramin
05-15-2017, 05:37 PM
I think the real question, from a programmer's perspective, is why does the client have a tick? The server corrects it, it'll always correct it, the client shouldn't ever try to simulate the server.

Not sure exactly, but you have to remember that back in the day you couldn't rely on the server being there 100% of the time: connections sucked. Most likely the client has a tick so the player doesn't notice when the server is unreachable for a few seconds, and Verant just did a better job of keeping the two in sync so we never noticed that that was happening.

Detoxx
05-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Cycle last two targets is a huge one for me. Also, /rt and /tt although im not sure if they are classic or not...

Izmael
05-16-2017, 02:08 AM
I think the real question, from a programmer's perspective, is why does the client have a tick? The server corrects it, it'll always correct it, the client shouldn't ever try to simulate the server. It's also, I'm fairly sure, the reason why the notification of critical hit damage is way off.

I don't think I've ever seen the critical hit damage announced to the area VS seeing the white damage match up.

A lot of client-server games (such as EQ, Quake, WoW, etc...) have some amount of client prediction built in. That allows for a smoother game play from the client's perspective. The client guesses what the game state should be now, according to the information he received before and the server corrects it every once in a while, remaining the only authority all the while.

This used to be immensely more useful back when internet connections were slow and unreliable. You basically couldn't play any 3D game through the internet without good prediction built in the client.

I seem to remember that the few first versions of Quake 1 had no prediction. You could play a deathmatch through a LAN with little difficulties (by then standards), but it was entirely unplayable through anything slower than that.

You can see it, for example, when two characters run together on P99, the other character will not run very smoothly. He will warp around. That warp is when the server sends some information to the client which corrects whatever YOUR client had predicted given the other character's heading and run speed you've been notified of last.

It is possible that the mana tick mismatch between the client and the server is due to some prediction bug. The client knows the current mana regen rate of the character and works with it. When the character attempts to cast a spell, the game state is refreshed on the client and it gets the actual server-side mana amount of the character.

Maybe because Titanium is a very old client and EQEmu doesn't support its prediction as well as the more recent clients.

Swish
05-16-2017, 02:10 AM
/pet feign before someone snitched - had great fun with it.

fadetree
05-16-2017, 08:27 AM
They added extra 'correction' ticks to P99 because the client is expecting rates of HP and mana regen that are too high for the era P99 is in.

TheOldEQGamer
05-16-2017, 02:36 PM
I wish I could better remember the game as it originally was, but I'm getting old. Yeah, I was wondering about the "Find" button too. Why is it even there if it doesn't work? Are they planning on implementing it later?

I do like the "Link" button too although I've not used it yet. I've only been on a week and have one character at level 5 at the moment so I don't have the money yet to buy anything, lol. (I know it shows that I joined a couple of years ago, but I'd made an account before I realized that I need the Titanium discs to be able to join the game. I only just got them a little over a week ago, lol.)

RedSlave
05-16-2017, 02:43 PM
I wish I could better remember the game as it originally was, but I'm getting old. Yeah, I was wondering about the "Find" button too. Why is it even there if it doesn't work? Are they planning on implementing it later?

I do like the "Link" button too although I've not used it yet. I've only been on a week and have one character at level 5 at the moment so I don't have the money yet to buy anything, lol. (I know it shows that I joined a couple of years ago, but I'd made an account before I realized that I need the Titanium discs to be able to join the game. I only just got them a little over a week ago, lol.)

My guess is that it was in the default for Titanium. It was a relatively nice feature that I believe made its debut around Luclin.

One Tin Soldier
05-16-2017, 04:28 PM
This is literally the first time I hear of it and I played 2000-2002. Anyone else confirm this existed during Velious? That would make the current zoom in/out very classic.

(But I doubt it)

I guess I can't prove it to you and I don't suppose it really matters anyway but I guarantee you could zoom in and out. I did it all the time from when I first started playing in 99 until I quit for good sometime in the planes of power era.

Izmael
05-17-2017, 02:18 AM
I guess I can't prove it to you and I don't suppose it really matters anyway but I guarantee you could zoom in and out. I did it all the time from when I first started playing in 99 until I quit for good sometime in the planes of power era.

The question is, was it a zoom like on P99? With the camera chasing you, allowing you essentially 360 degrees field of view?

You could zoom back then, indeed, in some of the F9 modes, but it wasn't the same as here. You couldn't really just play zoomed out (which is the whole point).

Tecmos Deception
05-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Cycle last two targets is a huge one for me. Also, /rt and /tt although im not sure if they are classic or not...

Same.

Tab to cycle instead of just F8 to target nearest is pretty big too. And third-person camera controls... although really I kinda enjoy playing in first person and quick F9 taps back in the day to look around corners wasn't hugely inconvenient when you're used to it compared to using third person and mousewheel and whatnot.

Spyder73
05-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Does anyone else remember the mini you could play while medding? Its was a space invaders style game. Instead of increasing mana regen rates to make the game more active - Verant/Sony actually put in a freaking side game to help pass the time and have medding be miserable.

RedSlave
05-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Does anyone else remember the mini you could play while medding? Its was a space invaders style game. Instead of increasing mana regen rates to make the game more active - Verant/Sony actually put in a freaking side game to help pass the time and have medding be miserable.

/gems

Jimjam
05-17-2017, 08:49 AM

I always thought it would be kinda fun if you could earn buffs with /gems.

One Tin Soldier
05-17-2017, 09:36 AM
The question is, was it a zoom like on P99? With the camera chasing you, allowing you essentially 360 degrees field of view?

You could zoom back then, indeed, in some of the F9 modes, but it wasn't the same as here. You couldn't really just play zoomed out (which is the whole point).

The view I always used was what I would call the chase view. It's the one where the camera is behind you and locked into position relative to your character. Meaning if you turn, the camera turns with you. And yes, you could zoom in and out with that view and that's how I played most of the time. I would sometimes switch to 1st person in tight spaces but otherwise I always played in 3rd person chase view.

However, it wasn't the best in the early days because as I said it wasn't fully adjustable when the game first released. ALL you could do was zoom in and out. You couldn't adjust the camera in any other way. That made it almost useless with ogres and trolls because their bodies blocked too much of the forward view and you couldn't fiddle with the camera up/down and tilt to make it better.

I don't remember exactly when they changed it to make it more adjustable but I remember how happy I was about it when they did it.