05-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Necro. To rez the dead cleric.

Hasbinbad
05-07-2017, 05:04 PM
The obvious answer here is rogue.

http://i.imgur.com/omBmUZ7.png

Topgunben
05-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Necro is best. Solo, heals, pet, best damage output, lich, lifetap, fear, snare. Also, with skellyl form you can sell and be friendly in a lot of places.

But hands down the best benefit is feign death. I feel sorry for every other class that doesn't have FD.

Swish
05-07-2017, 06:53 PM
bard

Hasbinbad
05-07-2017, 06:57 PM
bard
No.

Swish
05-07-2017, 06:59 PM
while the necro is sat on his ass slowly rotting to death from the last mob he killed, the bard is busy killing half the zone.

bend the knee to bards, they are the true box heroes...

Hasbinbad
05-07-2017, 07:04 PM
while the necro is sat on his ass slowly rotting to death from the last mob he killed, the bard is busy killing half the zone.

bend the knee to bards, they are the true box heroes...

bards look ridiculous, tho

Hasbinbad
05-07-2017, 07:04 PM
notice the only screenshot is from rogue

Fasttimes
05-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Ranger better dps then Rogues

Hasbinbad
05-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Ranger better dps then Rogues
that is not the point

Swish
05-08-2017, 02:29 AM
bards look ridiculous, tho

So do rogues til they put a mask on, which bards do anyway.

Fasttimes
05-08-2017, 02:31 AM
So do rogues til they put a mask on, which bards do anyway.

mask on, f it, mask off

Naethyn
05-08-2017, 02:34 AM
Paladin is the best class, I play one.
http://wiki.project1999.com/images/thumb/HumanBerserkerPlate.png/405px-HumanBerserkerPlate.png

khandman
05-08-2017, 02:41 AM
Paladin

Baler
05-08-2017, 03:23 AM
There is no Best class in EQ. That's not how the game works.

Hasbinbad
05-08-2017, 11:11 AM
There is no Best class in EQ. That's not how the game works.
Wrong.

Rogue is the correct answer.

Lhancelot
05-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Ogre. Ogre is the best class.

trite
05-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Wrong.

Rogue is the correct answer.

As soon as triple attack patch is released, rogues obsolete right?

skarlorn
05-08-2017, 12:53 PM
monk is the worst class

kjs86z
05-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Obviously enchanter

Hasbinbad
05-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Only if your mom and wifes opinions aren't counted.

icedwards
05-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Found the dps monk

Spyder73
05-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Necro is best. Solo, heals, pet, best damage output, lich, lifetap, fear, snare. Also, with skellyl form you can sell and be friendly in a lot of places.

But hands down the best benefit is feign death. I feel sorry for every other class that doesn't have FD.

This man has done his research and found the correct answer

RedSlave
05-09-2017, 08:42 AM
I was always a fan of the Jedi Guardian.

Dezik
05-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Found the dps monk

Something wrong with one of the best dps classes doing dps?

maskedmelonpai
05-11-2017, 01:56 PM
monk is the worst class

it a good post.

Lhancelot
05-11-2017, 02:50 PM
monk is the worst class

Monk is my first least enjoyed class on p99, and second is bard.

I can actually get a bard to 20-30 before hating it, whereas I get to 15-20 on monk and just despise it so much by that point.

The aesthetics, the gameplay, I don't like it at all. I recognize how great the class is when played by decent players, I simply never can get far into the monk. :(

Swish
05-11-2017, 02:52 PM

"one of the best" - monk
"the best" - rogue

Sorry about that, go and pull something :)

Tetsuo
05-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Petless mage

Dezik
05-11-2017, 03:18 PM
"one of the best" - monk
"the best" - rogue

Sorry about that, go and pull something :)

Keep hitting that backtab button and let the men work.

Swish
05-12-2017, 02:14 AM
Keep hitting that backtab button and let the men work.

Keep bringing them in and we'll keep killing them for you. It's a team effort, no need to get mad about your role in the grand scheme of things.

Alert
05-21-2017, 12:24 PM
False. Black Bear.

Nixtar
05-21-2017, 12:47 PM
False. Black Bear.

That's debatable.

Cecily
05-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Found another dps monk.

Cecily
05-21-2017, 01:34 PM

+10% to bad dps isn't changing anything.

Lune
05-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Shaman > Enchanter > Monk > Necro > Warrior > Rogue > Cleric > Magician > Ranger > Wizard > SK > Druid > Paladin

All things considered including power, quality of life, playstyle, opportunities for interesting play.

Insert Bard anywhere in this hierarchy depending on skill and intelligence.

Troxx
05-21-2017, 02:53 PM
You really put wizard that high up on the list?

Dezik
05-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Shaman > Enchanter > Monk > Necro > Warrior > Rogue > Cleric > Magician > Ranger > Wizard > SK > Druid > Paladin

All things considered including power, quality of life, playstyle, opportunities for interesting play.

Insert Bard anywhere in this hierarchy depending on skill and intelligence.

Not even close.. SK at third worst? The hell?

Lune
05-21-2017, 03:49 PM
You really put wizard that high up on the list?

It's not so much that wizards are high, more that SK/dru/pal is low. While an individual druid is probably better than an individual wizard in more situations, I'm also weighing the fact that all guilds have pocket druids lying around and druids dont stack like wizards do.

Not even close.. SK at third worst? The hell?

Knights are comparatively bad. They bring no dps to the group, and their only advantage over a warrior, or even a geared monk, is agro management, which isn't even necessary or even all that valuable depending on group comp. Limited raid utility, limited solo ability, gear dependent, crack dependent, and by far the most abandoned classes 45+. Most frequently seen LFG in seb all day before logging off in despair because half the groups just have a monk tanking and are doing fine

Alert
05-21-2017, 03:59 PM
That's debatable.

Fact: Bears eat beets.

KEWLGET
05-21-2017, 04:03 PM
i would put SK dead last

Transylvania
05-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Shaman: solo what you want, never worry about heals. Gate is your friend.

Sage Truthbearer
05-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Knights are comparatively bad. They bring no dps to the group, and their only advantage over a warrior, or even a geared monk, is agro management, which isn't even necessary or even all that valuable depending on group comp. Limited raid utility, limited solo ability, gear dependent, crack dependent, and by far the most abandoned classes 45+. Most frequently seen LFG in seb all day before logging off in despair because half the groups just have a monk tanking and are doing fine

Knights are perfectly suited for their intended purpose: tanking in pick-up groups. I've made this point several times before but it can't be stated enough: the average person who plays P99 is joining pick-up groups filled with random strangers of varying skill levels who leave the group every 30 minutes and get replaced by a new stranger. It's a roll of the dice if any of these people know how to manage their aggro correctly. Some are great, some are horrible.

I leveled a Paladin 1-60 mostly in PuGs, and having snap aggro is not only incredibly useful but almost necessary for making these kinds of groups run efficiently. Yeah, Monks can mitigate incoming damage way better than me but for group content that gets steamrolled anyway, mitigation doesn't always matter as much as being able to quickly and reliably generate aggro does.

Also, I would mention that monk tanking seb is going to be eating shitloads of ice comets that a paladin could effortlessly interrupt.

Scailed
05-22-2017, 12:14 AM
Not the smart monks. They resist all spells 98% of the time completely. Don't even need to spend a ton to make that possible. People pulling should be able to resist spells. heh

Cygenx
05-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Can't resist gate or CH so knights ability to spell stop still stands.

Dezik
05-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Found another dps monk.

And proud of it

Dezik
05-22-2017, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=KEWLGET;2526896]i would put SK dead

Sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about

branamil
05-23-2017, 02:44 AM
Of course warriors are the best extremely late game tanks, but for the other 98% of content hybrids are preferable. I always breathed a sigh of relief when a SK or Pally was the tank, leveling 2 chars to 60. Warrior Aggro is atrocious and the mob pummels the CC or Healer half to death before he gets it back.

Baler
05-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Fact: Bears eat beets.

Bears, Beets, Battlestar galactica...

What is going on?! Identity theft is not a joke jim. Millions of families suffer every year!

Michael! oh that's funny,.. Michael!

queue intro. (yeah I've seen that show too many times X_x)

Cecily
05-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Can't resist gate or CH so knights ability to spell stop still stands.

Rogues and monks and literally any other melee class can break those spells as well as a knight.

Vexenu
05-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Rogues and monks and literally any other melee class can break those spells as well as a knight.

As well? Meaning as reliably? By themselves? With EC tunnel gear?

Come on, be serious.

Story time: Awhile back I was feeling masochistic and leveled an untwinked Paladin on Red. Got into the mid 50s still with mostly bronze armor, save for a DW helm and bracer. But that's really all a Paladin needs to be effective. Good timing with your casted stuns, bash and the DW bracer means you will be interrupting over 90% of spells. By yourself. This allowed me to run pickup groups in Chardok for amazing uncontested XP and loot. None of those groups would have been possible without a Paladin tank, they would be absolutely destroyed by the Wizard mobs. Every time I had to leave a Chardok group and hand the tanking off to a Warrior or Monk I later learned the group would wipe within 20 minutes.

So yeah, an uber geared Warrior or Monk with self buffed 200+ resists can tank the shit out of anything and resist most spells, so no need for interrupts. But that's not really playing Everquest. Take a mid 50's Paladin wearing mostly Bronze into Chardok with 5 other random players with equally shitty gear and you'll suddenly appreciate what the Paladin brings to the table.

KEWLGET
05-23-2017, 11:41 PM
Sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about

what exactly does an SK do that another class can't do better

Dezik
05-23-2017, 11:56 PM
what exactly does an SK do that another class can't do better

Such a terrible argument.. it's incredible to me how you people still think like this.. but to answer your question, best group tank there is.. what tank is able to get snap aggro better?

Cecily
05-24-2017, 12:07 AM
As well? Meaning as reliably? By themselves? With EC tunnel gear?

Yes. Yes. No. Yes.

It takes coordination between dps, and that's hard to do because people are bad, but play better. Push. It's not just for dragons.

Phenyo
05-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Such a terrible argument.. it's incredible to me how you people still think like this.. but to answer your question, best group tank there is.. what tank is able to get snap aggro better?

paladin, as well as providing off heals and cc

paladin is objectively better than SK as a group tank

Dezik
05-24-2017, 01:24 AM
paladin, as well as providing off heals and cc

paladin is objectively better than SK as a group tank

Even if this were true the difference is negligible. That paladin is also incapable of splitting mobs and FDing off a terrible pull.. I wouldn't say the paladin is better or worse just different more or less desirable based on what the group needs.

Swish
05-24-2017, 02:30 AM
SK is the better hybrid tank, groups have clerics anyway and SK's can reposition a mob to them rather than have to rely on stun and waiting for the mob to move, which can confuse an average enchanter.

Also ogres can't be paladins (thankfully)

Squabbles123
05-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Paladin snap aggro is better actually, Paladins are the best group tanks, SKs are 2nd.

Cecily
05-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Naw. If your group has proper support, rangers are the best group tank.

KEWLGET
05-24-2017, 12:17 PM
warriors have better mitigation

paladins have better snap aggro and group utility

monks and necros have feign death and pull better

every single other melee has better DPS except a paladin

so why exactly ever play an SK? to be a jack of a few trades?

Twochain
05-24-2017, 12:47 PM
warriors have better mitigation

paladins have better snap aggro and group utility

monks and necros have feign death and pull better

every single other melee has better DPS except a paladin

so why exactly ever play an SK? to be a jack of a few trades?

Wat?

Sk's have Feign Death, have an instant invis clicky item, better race choices for tanking, the ability to kite, also have snap agro, and aren't pussies. DafuQ?

Lhancelot
05-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Agnarr is the best class.

Salaryman
05-24-2017, 12:55 PM
paladins also have access to shield of immaculate as a back slot item which is where i put mine
i also have a manastone another amazing paladin item
and i have the strongest paladin sword
paladins have the coolest armor and im allied to every faction because my wisdom is so high

Ennewi
05-24-2017, 02:03 PM
In terms of snap aggro, it's ranger > paladin > shadow knight in my experience. Flame lick edges out flash of light and both seem to need less recasting than disease cloud. If hybrid epics are included, aggro is still in the same order, only to a greater extent in favor of rangers.

HT is nothing compared to LoH but, even when resisted, it's still perfect for those oh shit moments where added push is needed in the last inches of a mob's life (pets are poorly positioned / stuns are being resisted). You can pretty much guarantee the mob won't gate or cheal, especially with Unholy Aura + HT which essentially allow you to insta ice comet a mob into the ground.

So you have a tank class with access to instant unlimited invis, an insta 1.5k nuke every 72min, three forms of FD, and can grab aggro at will, from great distances, while keeping HP up with lifetaps? Certainly not the best class but it gets the job done. If SKs were able not only to steal a mob's str, hp, atk, and ac, but also their mana and resistances, they would be better suited for small random PUGs but would also be useful on raids where malo/tash are being resisted; that would make them more of a war/chanter hybrid though. Having the necro rogue pet would have been nice for soloing as well, but cackling bones isn't terrible.

Still, playing as any other class, I'd rather have a paladin tanking in group situations mostly just for the additional heals but also for the buffs that the cleric probably won't have the mana to give other members of the group.

Cecily
05-24-2017, 02:20 PM
I think the problem with SKs is that the devs got lazy with their spells, taking the one armed warrior necro thing a bit too literally. The coolest thing they have going for them is massive dots and taps, which unfortunately were designed for a caster with unlimited mana and also suffer from long cast times. It's not viable for their group role. For the most part, their spell book begins and ends with disease cloud / shadow vortex.

Ennewi
05-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Engulfing darkness too, though it gets overwritten by regular snare. But yeah, the cast times and mana costs of lifetaps are terrible overall for SKs, excluding life leech. It would have made more sense to have additional lifetap procs like vampiric embrace/shroud of death, along with more lifetaps over time like vampiric curse.

KEWLGET
05-25-2017, 02:45 AM
Wat?

Sk's have Feign Death, have an instant invis clicky item, better race choices for tanking, the ability to kite, also have snap agro, and aren't pussies. DafuQ?

jack of a few trades, master of none

0 PvE situations in this game in which i'd prefer a shadow knight over another class

Topgunben
05-25-2017, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=KEWLGET;2529267]jack of a few trades, master of none

0 PvE situations in this game in which i'd prefer a shadow knight over another class[/QU. E]

SK's have an expanded tool kit. They can tank and keep aggro better than a warrior early game. They can pull better, can self heal, and feign death. They also arent nearly as gear whorish as warriors.

I'd prefer an sk over a warrior any day.

Dezik
05-25-2017, 06:24 PM
jack of a few trades, master of none

0 PvE situations in this game in which i'd prefer a shadow knight over another class

LOL okay buddy.. a class that is a great tank in a game where tanks are always in short supply.. AND a great puller AND has respectable dps for it's taking ability and you find zero instances in pve where you might say an SK could be a good class to have.. do you even play this game?

KEWLGET
05-25-2017, 08:25 PM
i don't think you've actually been reading or comprehending what i said

SK has things it can do

every single one of those things is done better by another class

hence, jack of some trades, master of none

but i'll break this down based on your post to make it easier to understand

a great tank

outclassed in terms of damage mitigation by warriors and monks, outclassed in utility and snap aggro by paladins

AND a great puller

outclassed by monks, necros, bards, enchanters, clerics, and rangers in various group scenarios and outclassed by monks and necros in raid scenarios

has respectable dps

absolutely not; as far as melees go, they only have higher DPS than a paladin unless it's against undead mobs, and most casters in the game will do more DPS than an SK

do you even play this game?

not anymore, but i am probably more knowledgeable about p99 mechanics than 99% of the people who have touched this server