PDA

View Full Version : Pally race debate & viability of Natures Defender MQ?

Snaggles
05-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Hello All,

I know this has been beaten to death, mostly to consensus of people saying to pick a different class. Most of those threads were pre-Velious though and after rolling an Ogre SK on live I'm happy for a bit more challenge.

My wife back in the early 2000's easily MQ'ed the Natures Defender with her High Elf Pally. It was a solid weapon and looked great even during Luclin.

So, two questions:

1.) My d0rf is very low level. The base stats make life easier carting around bronze weapons to sell and the armor that is equipped. Are you higher level d0rfs happy with your decision still?

2.) How open are guilds these days to MQ'ing things such as the Fleshless Skull for plat? I could see that being a nice "end game" tool for a very casual player but would require the reroll to a Tunare diety.

Thanks in advance :). I know like 30 strength at level 60 is not a huge hurdle but figured I would ask.

Shodo
05-05-2017, 01:48 PM
A) I'm happy with dwarf, but don't worry about the stats too much in the long-run. Barrel roll is the biggest advantage obviously. Also consider putting your starting stats in wisdom if you plan on making it to 50+.

B) Nature's Defender is nice and I don't think it would be hard to find an MQ. The mob is pretty easy to take down if you're already up in hate and there aren't a lot of pallies to compete for it. You might not find one advertised for sale but just make a WTB or ask a guild if you can tag along on a hate raid.

C) That said, Fiery Defender is also very achieveable, albeit with more time and effort than the Nature's Defender quest. Plus there are other options in velious that are either just as good (garzicor quest) or better (ToV weapons) if you plan on going that far. So don't worry too much if you can't get ND.

Snaggles
05-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Thank you for your time and insight on this. Much appreciated :).

skarlorn
05-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Barrel roll is the biggest advantage obviously.

Sage Truthbearer
05-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I have a ND but I never actually use it, you can get much better weapon options than a ND around that level. However, it does have the coolest weapon graphic in the game.

I honestly doubt that a lot of guilds really pulling the Corrupter of Life and sitting on the skull to MQ out because there's just really no reason to go out of your way to pull him unless someone wanted the skull.

Lhancelot
05-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Dwarf: Has great starting stats (high dex, sta, str and decent wis) but bad cha. if you want to use this line of spells, you got to gear for them because the crappy cha will gimp you on lulls. Barrel rolls are dwarf only. Problem is, female dwarfs are the best with beards, and they do not get barrel roll! Subpar for fashionquest, basically you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig and that's dwarf with high tier armors they look bad especially pallies. They also swing 2h weapons retardedly.

Human: Naturally high cha, decent starting melee stats and fair wisdom. Bad eyesight for night time. Great fashionquesters, they get mustaches AND velious Dragon Helm! Females have a thong-like fungi tunic that's sparkly when equipped so that's nice. Animations look good.

High Elf: Awful starting melee stats (low str, sta, dex,) but really nice wisdom and cha. Also can do Nature's Defender quest. IMO gimpy as hell looking, they are weak and look weak. I give them a point for having cat helms (the males) as I love cats irl. But, the rest of their attride in high lvl gears is stupid looking and shiny, looks like chain etc etc. Just boring to look at imo.

Half Elf: Decent melee stats but AWFUL wis. IMO worst race ever for any wisdom classes, you start out really gimped here. Decent cha though. CAN do Nature's Defender, and many think they look great for fashionquesting. They do swing weapons like a normal melee should, that's a plus.

***I think the guy above is right, if you really plan to push your pally far and raid with it, stick points into WIS.

I asked this same question myself, about races for pallies, and came to these conclusions based on what others told me and what I noticed while trying different races.

Maner
05-05-2017, 03:31 PM
I think if you are going end game high elf is actually the best min and max choice, however that may have been once luclin hit on live. Not sure if you can max str sta and dex as a high elf on p99

Sage Truthbearer
05-05-2017, 04:35 PM
As a 60 Pal, if you are going for min-max then High Elf are hands-down the best race. We also get cat helms. If you don't care about min-max I think Erudite Paladins are pretty dope and they have the coolest deity (Prexus).

Lhancelot
05-05-2017, 04:58 PM
As a 60 Pal, if you are going for min-max then High Elf are hands-down the best race. We also get cat helms. If you don't care about min-max I think Erudite Paladins are pretty dope and they have the coolest deity (Prexus).

Forgot about Erudite pallies haha. bad thing is their velious helms are bugged. :(

***Eruds have bad eyes, weak melee stats too. Decent wis.

Sarkhan
05-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Don't forget about Erudite's cultural armor! Definitely fashionquest champions
http://wiki.project1999.com/Steelsilk

Snaggles
05-05-2017, 06:29 PM
As I'll be a casual player it seems even from a budget-shopper's perspective of droppable gear the +str/stam/ac/hps is cheaper than the high ac/hp items with wisdom and mana. Makes sense as that is prime gear for the priest healers.

I hate that I'm wearing my min-max hat again after almost 20 years, lol. If that's the case though, High Elf with maxed wisdom seems to the path. Even if I'll be nearly encumbered for the first 40 levels. Baseball cap and batman wings it is. :o

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. The trolling could have been relentless. :D

Achromatic
05-11-2017, 12:19 AM
Erudite Paladin

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Oblie

EDIT: https://wiki.project1999.com/Shield_of_the_Stalwart_Seas

Rygar
05-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Erudites also can get Shield of the Stalwart Seas (http://wiki.project1999.com/Shield_of_the_Stalwart_Seas) for a cheap price, pretty nice stats.

But there is also a +10 Str / +100 HP PAL only shield in hate, have seen it rot before. Only slightly worse that Stalwart if you aren't Stamina capped.

Makes me wish they did a lot more single Class / Race / Deity gear (Like HUM / WAR / Rallos Zek or something like that). Would have added a lot of depth to gear choices and more economical options in the world.

Expediency
05-11-2017, 10:33 AM
We all know paladins are terrible so you might as well go for style points. Erudite paladin for best fashionquest / roleplay by a mile. Prexus only choice; all chars who could have selected prexus but did not should reroll.

Expediency
05-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Don't forget about Erudite's cultural armor! Definitely fashionquest champions
http://wiki.project1999.com/Steelsilk

Erudite melee cultural armor is a thing of beauty and there are only a few prexus sets on the server. I have not yet seen a quellious set. Estimate 10-20kpp for an entire suit depending on what you buy vs camp yourself

Lhancelot
05-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Erudite melee cultural armor is a thing of beauty and there are only a few prexus sets on the server. I have not yet seen a quellious set. Estimate 10-20kpp for an entire suit depending on what you buy vs camp yourself

Humans win fashionquest when it comes to pallies, dragon helm ftw.

Erudites have a bugged velious helm, looks like shit.

A paladin should look like it's in armor, not pajamas. Not sure how erudite wins fashionquest in your mind. :p

Expediency
05-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Humans win fashionquest when it comes to pallies, dragon helm ftw.

Erudites have a bugged velious helm, looks like shit.

Nobody can win at fashionquest based on just one item and humans are ugly to begin with. Plus they dont tend to follow prexus

I like that the helmet is bugged; hard to win fashionquest with your face covered.

Ps: a few exceptions but its usually boring people who roll human. Its an elfsim! Be a troll or lizard or barbarian or something

Lhancelot
05-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Nobody can win at fashionquest based on just one item and humans are ugly to begin with. Plus they dont tend to follow prexus

I like that the helmet is bugged; hard to win fashionquest with your face covered.

Ps: a few exceptions but its usually boring people who roll human. Its an elfsim! Be a troll or lizard or barbarian or something

Are you really trying to equate what race a player chooses as their main to how interesting of a human being they are irl? Rofl.

Anyway, my pally is a dwarf.

I just think humans have better plate going for them and a nifty looking dragon helm which fits the pally motif best.

Erudites only look worse when they use the velious helm because nothing is worse than bugged armor appearances when you are going for fashionquest.

Besides, no honorable knight would be caught dead wearing a pajama-dress to battle.

Expediency
05-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Are you really trying to equate what race a player chooses as their main to how interesting of a human being they are irl? Rofl.

Yes I am. Picking a human is a boring thing to do in a fantasy setting where humans are arguably never the best race at a given job. I cant recall many humans attempting to roleplay their race. Its Uncreative. Yawn.

mcoy
05-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes I am. Picking a human is a boring thing to do in a fantasy setting where humans are arguably never the best race at a given job. I cant recall many humans attempting to roleplay their race. Its Uncreative. Yawn.

/cry

Lhancelot
05-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Pro tip: There's zero correlation between the avatar a person picks to play in a MMO to their actual IRL creativity.

*This is about as ridiculous a thing I have read in awhile on the forums.

**Using the same silly logic, we could surmise that people who pick humans on p99 actually are people who like challenges IRL because humans start with zero racial benefits like many of the other races do.

Rygar
05-11-2017, 12:39 PM
The limited benefit of humans is they have an option to start in either freeport or antonica depending on deity, which may gain you access to certain noob dungeons early and / or easy tunnel access.

Don't try arguing with Expdiency, he just a roleplayer to his core, just accept him for that and move on! Any alts he raises Deepwater Knight faction to max ally for roleplay reasons. P99 / EQ should be a haven for people like that.

He would see classic EQ have no monks since only humans could be them. His devotion is that deep!

Expediency
05-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Pro tip: There's zero correlation between the avatar a person picks to play in a MMO to their actual IRL creativity.

90% of humans should be deleted as penalty for rolling human. They had 15 years to learn better. Only a minority try to play the char; it is by far the least rped race. I stand by my words

Sorn
05-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Expediency only believes in Prexus.

maskedmelonpai
05-11-2017, 01:51 PM
obviously it take a lot more creativity to convincingly adhere to preconceived racial stereotypes than to develop a unique character from scratch. OBviously....

Jimjam
05-11-2017, 01:58 PM
90% of humans should be deleted as penalty for rolling human. They had 15 years to learn better. Only a minority try to play the char; it is by far the least rped race. I stand by my words

My human wizard was going to be Erollisi Marr under the idea that euthenising loathsome mobs was an act of compassion.

I ended up dropping that idea and going agnostic so I could start in a different city. Kept the name but lost most the roleplay elements.

Holy crap I realised I am double trouble, my ranger is also human. I do like Karana half elves are an abomination and Halfling rangers aren't classic so I was stuck with that one.

Danth
05-11-2017, 02:06 PM

*All* of the characters the wife and I made are human (her Shaman being a barb) and guess what....we don't even try to role-play them. We're your scourge!

Danth

Sage Truthbearer
05-11-2017, 02:12 PM

If you're going to be a roleplayer, wouldn't Human Paladin be the best choice? Human Paladins can worship Mithaniel Marr, and that is the only available deity that actually describes a Paladin. Erudties are just ocean worshippers. Dwarves worship caves and dirt. Rodcet is for clerics. Karana worship weather and storms. Literally none of these make a lick of sense in the context of a Paladin, except Mithaniel Marr.

Expediency
05-11-2017, 02:37 PM
If you're going to be a roleplayer, wouldn't Human Paladin be the best choice? Human Paladins can worship Mithaniel Marr, and that is the only available deity that actually describes a Paladin. Erudties are just ocean worshippers. Dwarves worship caves and dirt. Rodcet is for clerics. Karana worship weather and storms. Literally none of these make a lick of sense in the context of a Paladin, except Mithaniel Marr.

Marr has what? Silver armor and a sword and a spirit of justice or something? Prexus controls far more. And 2/3 of marrs best friends are some of the demonstrably weakest gods in norrath.

Prexus has provided me with golden armor and a magic sword and a spirit of justice and Im certainly no god so my conclusion is:

Marr and his followers better learn to swim because a wave is coming.

Lhancelot
05-11-2017, 02:47 PM
obviously it take a lot more creativity to convincingly adhere to preconceived racial stereotypes than to develop a unique character from scratch. OBviously....

Yes, and the world is thriving with such an abundance of these creative personalities.

What would we do without so much creativity?

Good thing such types exist, or we'd die an awful boring death.

dude
05-11-2017, 03:58 PM
I thought about making a chanter named XtahC what cha think?

dude
05-11-2017, 04:01 PM
I thought about making a chanter named XtahC what cha think?

what I meant was do you think they will let me CAp the C at the end of my name?