PDA

View Full Version : Viability of Shaman and Rogue Duo

Barlu
05-03-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm talking with a friend about starting a duo that we play when we both happen to be online at the same time. For fun I was considering only leveling in the old worlds and not twinking at all since that is when we started back on live. I was thinking with Slows, Heals, and dots the sham could face tank while the rogue goes to town. Would this be a viable duo or would it run out pretty early due to terrible AC and HP on Sham and bad DPS on rogue due to gear?

If you added twinking into the mix how long could this duo go?

On another note since we don't play together often I was considering having a Druid or Wiz as one member of the duo so we could easily get to a spot to exp since most of the time we only have an hour or two and going somewhere only to find it heavily camped sucks. Any cool duos you can think of under the same non twinking old world that would be fun but still effective? Not concerned with min/max as I know the major power duos like ench/cleric and monk/sham but still would like it to be reasonably effective. Also don't want it to include a chanter as that is both our mains.

Lot of restrictions I know but think it would be fun and curious to hear what everyone thinks would be cool. Thanks!

loramin
05-03-2017, 06:15 PM
I think most people would recommend Necros over Shaman to pair with rogues, because fear/snare just makes backstabbing so easy. But with that said, as a Shaman I've never had a problem duoing with rogues, so you should be able to make it work.

If you need a taunt as a Shaman I've found the blind spell works well (although it's been quite awhile since I used it that way so YMMV).

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Would go fine.

Shaman can tank, slow mobs while rogue destroys them with backstabs. Shaman slows are so OP'd on this game, I wouldn't be surprised if you could easily duo to 60 like this.

I think it would go really well, actually.

I solo'd my shaman to 55, and had I had a rogue that followed me around I only can imagine how much faster mobs would have died.

Fenna
05-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Shaman slow makes all the difference. It seems to be insane aggro too which basically means you both make a good team. The fast, sustained dps will only help everything the shaman basically does on its own. Talk about no downtime too...

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Shaman slow makes all the difference. It seems to be insane aggro too which basically means you both make a good team. The fast, sustained dps will only help everything the shaman basically does on its own. Talk about no downtime too...

Exactly, man there would be zero downtime.

Can do this also with a warrior btw, leveling up anyway.

In fact I would consider that if you like melee, and want a fun pairing with shaman.

A warrior dishes out nice damage, can tank for shaman if need be. Once you guys 60s, you could easily be big parts to a raid guild if you so wanted, too.

Also, as Loramin mentioned, as shaman you get blind and can use this just as a pally does, it holds great aggro aside from the slows which hold aggro well too.

nyclin
05-03-2017, 06:51 PM
shm/rog is a good duo, shm can hold aggro via dots and slows without issue and root is always available otherwise

not quite as optimal as mnk/shm but you won't have any problems with levelling up

Swish
05-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Going to do this on red with a friend when I get the time - not sure what race to go with the shaman but acquiring items at the moment. When we get started will post an update :)

loramin
05-03-2017, 08:40 PM
not sure what race to go with the shaman

... and let the massive ten-page flame-fest about which shaman race is the best begin ... now!

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 08:49 PM
... and let the massive ten-page flame-fest about which shaman race is the best begin ... now!

Ogre of course. FSI and hidden values ftw!

Barlu
05-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for the feedback! I figured with slow being so powerful that the rogue could just tee off and there wouldn't be much down time. Should be a fun duo.

Shaman will probably go Ogre which I'm sure everyone will disagree with but oh well.

Shodo
05-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Did this for a bit from ~25-30. In short, wasn't worth using mana on dots but slow + 1 or 2 flash of lights held aggro really well. Monk/shm definitely goes smoother but was still a good duo with rogue.

Edit: this was with twinking - will definitely want to focus on AC gear for sham ASAP if starting from scratch.

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 09:09 PM
It'll be fairly horrible. As in borderline retarded. Until really good gear, or topor.

I've done it lots. It's shit. Let rogue tank for 90% of time and step out of proximity to backstab, using lvl 9 root. Will still be slow, and shit.

This post is fairly horrible. As in borderline retarded.

nyclin
05-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Thank you all for the feedback! I figured with slow being so powerful that the rogue could just tee off and there wouldn't be much down time. Should be a fun duo.

Shaman will probably go Ogre which I'm sure everyone will disagree with but oh well.

nobody will disagree with ogre as a race for a shaman, especially in a duo like this - frontal stun immunity will make things go a lot smoother

iksar, ogre, and troll (esp. innoruuk worshiping troll) are the best race choices for a shaman

kelsoider
05-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Speaking for my rogue, every time I log in I'm looking for a shaman to duo with. I would also definitely prefer a shaman to duo with over a necro. The fear kite works well enough, but can be a pain if you get adds, and moving after the mob to stay in melee range can get old.. Also shaman can give rogue haste, strength and regen, almost everything a rogue could want. The slow and then blind works great for aggro. Plus; rogues are sneaky, can travel most anywhere, and can unlock doorways to phat lewtz for the shaman.

Vexenu
05-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Did this duo with both players modestly twinked at the Yeti caves in DL around level 40. Complete slaughter. Killed everything and had to wait on respawns.

Overall it's weaker than Monk/Shaman (due to no FD pulls and weaker tanking), but not by as much as you'd think. The extra Rogue DPS is quite noticeable, especially since the Rogue can unload fully from the start without worrying about agro.

With solid twinking and good players behind the toons, I'd even go as far to say that Rogue/Shaman might actually even level faster than Monk/Shaman. Rogue/Shaman would almost certainly do better 45-60 too once the Rogue got his epic. The Shaman can easily tank any XP mob at that point with 75% slow and the Ragebringer Rogue will significantly out-DPS most similarly geared Monks in that level-gear range. Very fast kills from the Rogue and excellent sustained tanking/buffing/slowing/healing from the Shaman.

mickmoranis
05-03-2017, 10:26 PM
as you progress shaman rogue is my favorite duo in the game, just hold agro on the shaman and rogue dps like crazy

Bubbles
05-04-2017, 02:50 AM
I couldnt think of a worse class to pull aggro off a shaman than a low to mid level warrior. Shaman rogue is the right instinct.

The only caveat i would have is the ability to break camps, which is why Mnk/Shm and SK/Shm are the preferred combo. Obviously when sneak tagging was a thing, the Rogue had the ability to do some camp splitting. As it is, Shaman root would be your only real option.

Troxx
05-04-2017, 06:28 AM
The group will be viable but having the shaman double function as tank will slow you down as you don't get to meditate in combat. 60 and torpor fixes this issue but the road to 60 is long and then you still have to get the spell (not easy).

It will work fine and you can always grab a random 3rd to function as the tank.

Pyrion
05-04-2017, 07:39 AM
You said that you consider a porting class as well. If you want to go druid, take enchanter as second. Snared pets are safe pets, enchanters usually like playing with druids.

Aueamin
05-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Think about the shaman/Mage also. I have been grouped with a Mage friend and we have hit all kinds of zones. The Mages pets get better with the LvL's and you as the shaman just keep the pets alive and buff/slow. Great combo for us.

welly321
05-04-2017, 11:50 AM
You said that you consider a porting class as well. If you want to go druid, take enchanter as second. Snared pets are safe pets, enchanters usually like playing with druids.

Im an enchanter and I hate group with druids

dude
05-04-2017, 01:39 PM
my ogre/sham is in his 50's and i can tank wurms and stuff when i get bored of watching my pet do it. just throw on your highest regen and sow for safety. I am far from twinked I have whats listed in the pre planer on the wiki.

fohkure
05-06-2017, 01:23 PM
I used to do this a lot. I just kept blind loaded for those random loss of aggro situations. It's really good snap aggro since the mobs shouldn't be moving around much anyways. As a troll I never had a problem tanking. Ogre would be better yet, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

fohkure
05-06-2017, 01:26 PM
iksar, ogre, and troll (esp. innoruuk worshiping troll) are the best race choices for a shaman

Incorrect. The best race for a shaman is the one you want to play. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

shuklak
05-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Incorrect. The best race for a shaman is the one you want to play. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

That's hog wash and you know it!

What about the shaman you play so much that you lose your job and house? Would that be the greatest?

waltjig
05-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Well sorry you have never met a good druid

syztem
05-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Shaman rogue is amazing, especially for farming at 60 with torpor. face tank everything with slow, use blind for holding aggro while rogue goes to town and tears everything apart.

loramin
05-06-2017, 02:29 PM
That's hog wash and you know it!

What about the shaman you play so much that you lose your job and house? Would that be the greatest?

Well if that shaman kept you playing even as the pink slips and foreclosure notices kept coming in, it must be pretty great, no?

skarlorn
05-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Best thing about this duo is you guys can pick up tank friends as you go along and really be in business. Have fun =)

RDawg816
05-06-2017, 06:12 PM
I've done this duo 4 times from 1 to max level. It's great. The shaman can tank, but doesn't have to. Depending on gear, mobs, etc. either can tank just fine. Another thing worth noting, if rogue is tanking he can evade when backstab is off cooldown. That will maximize dps and let the shaman save health for cannibalize.

Also worth mentioning, this type of duo really shines for a troll or iksar. The innate regen is worth it. For even shorter downtime, the rogue can bandage while hidden. ;)

lowner411
05-06-2017, 10:01 PM
And if you want to do this Old World and want a guild that supports you in it, consider Auld Lang Syne, a guild dedicated to this.

Premaximum
05-07-2017, 07:39 PM

Same, tbh. There's one specific instance where it's good, and that's when you're fear-kiting. Otherwise they're just worse than your other options.

Barlu
05-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Thank everyone very much for the feedback. I think I am going to give this a shot it should be fun.