PDA

View Full Version : Which class did you think you would hate but actually enjoy playing? Vice versa?

medievalerror
05-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Back in the day on live I played almost exclusively as pure casters with ability to solo. I main'd a wizard on live, but found that experience to be quite different here on p99 (and ultimately gave up on that toon). I tried my hand at necro for a time as well as mage, too. Having recently returned to p99, I decided to try something completely different--I am playing a rogue and quite enjoying it. Being pretty much forced to find a group is a very different experience to what I was used to when I last played on p99. Do other peeps have this experience, i.e. playing a class you never thought you'd enjoy and ultimately not? Was there a class that turned out to be much more fun than you thought?

Troxx
05-03-2017, 10:24 AM
I played a main-tanking warrior main for eons on live.

I thought I would hate bard, shaman, monk and necromancer ... yet here I am doing so on p99 and loving it ...

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
I honestly can't relate to this question because I have always enjoyed all the classes which is why I tend to make so many alts and characters!

I have found however, that some classes are not as fun for me to play as i wish they could be, like bard and monk.

I don't enjoy pulling on monks/splitting mobs etc., and I don't like having to constantly twist songs with the bard to maximize their efficiency it just grows tedious and sucks imo. No one appreciates all the work a bard does.

When I was younger I recall not minding the bard so I guess I have grown less tolerant of the gameplay of some classes now.

My favorite classes are healers (in all games) and I have found warrior to be very challenging and fun in groups and solo.

I guess 100% dps classes tend to bore me the most now that I think on it. I have found things I like about them individually, but fizzle out faster so far, like my mage is only 35 lvl, and my rogue is 29. I went furthest on shaman and druid and I am still leveling my warrior which is over 40 now.

Crede
05-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Enchanter all day. Always thought they were just boring and lame on live, needed a full group to do anything meaningful. I came here and that all changed. 16-60 was a blast, I never had so much grinding out the levels. I've been trying to play a bard, but it's been rough still for the first 30 levels. Hoping that changes eventually.

Spyder73
05-03-2017, 12:40 PM
I remember going through the alt mill back in 1999/2000 trying to find what I like. I think I originally made a Wizard because in Ultima Online the casters were always more powerful…then I made a cleric, then I made shaman, then necromancer, then warrior, then ranger, then paladin, then bard, then druid…but I would always fizzle out on these characters somewhere between level 10 and 30….then I finally found monk and made it to level 50+ during Kunark and have loved monk above all else since then.

However! On P99 after getting my monk to 60 I was sorely disappointed in my utility and farming ability. About the best I can do to help new players is train SGs to Oasis docks and FD so the crocs group gets the kill. So then I made a Bard (level 52) so I could PL people, but I have never actually PL’d anyone because I don’t know how to exactly – snares for agro and damages shields while someone AoE’s I think – but whatever….Necromancer has always fascinated me and I am really loving my necro (58 now) and I think it’s my favorite so far, but just last night I made a druid and I can see that being one of my favorites due to being able to port around to newb zones and DS/Buff/SoW…Friendly druids in Rivervale kept DSing me last night and I made it to level 6 in seriously like an hour. Porting has always had a weird intrigue for me as well. I think the only reason I stoped my druid on live was because I enjoy grouping so much and druids are not exactly min/max.

I am actually surprised at how well the necromancer does in groups 50+...they have an aura of "solo artist" about them but are just fantastic in small groups.

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 12:59 PM
I remember going through the alt mill back in 1999/2000 trying to find what I like. I think I originally made a Wizard because in Ultima Online the casters were always more powerful…then I made a cleric, then I made shaman, then necromancer, then warrior, then ranger, then paladin, then bard, then druid…but I would always fizzle out on these characters somewhere between level 10 and 30….then I finally found monk and made it to level 50+ during Kunark and have loved monk above all else since then.

However! On P99 after getting my monk to 60 I was sorely disappointed in my utility and farming ability. About the best I can do to help new players is train SGs to Oasis docks and FD so the crocs group gets the kill. So then I made a Bard (level 52) so I could PL people, but I have never actually PL’d anyone because I don’t know how to exactly – snares for agro and damages shields while someone AoE’s I think – but whatever….Necromancer has always fascinated me and I am really loving my necro (58 now) and I think it’s my favorite so far, but just last night I made a druid and I can see that being one of my favorites due to being able to port around to newb zones and DS/Buff/SoW…Friendly druids in Rivervale kept DSing me last night and I made it to level 6 in seriously like an hour. Porting has always had a weird intrigue for me as well. I think the only reason I stoped my druid on live was because I enjoy grouping so much and druids are not exactly min/max.

I am actually surprised at how well the necromancer does in groups 50+...they have an aura of "solo artist" about them but are just fantastic in small groups.

I enjoy the druid a lot. It gives you a lot of freedom to port yourself or help others with ports. You also can buff lowbies and that's fun to do too.

ineubis
05-03-2017, 03:49 PM
I played a shaman on live. Wear many hats... heals, buffs, slows, etc.

When I started on P99 I made an SK because it's "screw everyone but me" with this class. I like having fewer responsibilities instead of being pulled in every direction, like someone assuming you are going to heal, or getting blamed for every death just because you have heal spells in your spellbook.

I feel for the shaman(s?) I have grouped with getting nagged for buffs, slows and still expected to heal a group. Nowadays hit me up if you need Cold or Disease resists or your corpse located or summoned :D My only beneficial services other than tanking or binding your wounds up to 50%.

Sorn
05-03-2017, 04:59 PM
I kept trying to roll a monk but always quit by level five. When I finally tried again, I went Iksar with a name I liked and got sucked into some FoB pit groups that got me past 5. I am now the proud owner of a scaly killing machine that moonlights as an assassin for when faction is an issue.

Vice versa, I mained a cleric on live and I hate it so much now.

Kesselring
05-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Always thought id hate enchanter but turns out every enchanter I've ever grouped with is just extremely lazy and its crazy how much an enchanter can help a group or do on its own.

Swish
05-04-2017, 01:56 AM
Rogue. Tried a pal's halfling rogue on a raid and hated it. Stabbing stuff only being able to see their legs etc...

Then made my own (half elf) a year later maybe and hooly shit, so much better from a non short race perspective.

Still my favorite class <3

Jimjam
05-04-2017, 02:48 AM
Rerolled to a warrior on live for raiding. Thought it would be boring levelling up, but the active role you play in group and gearing up made it a lot of fun non-twinked, trying to work your way up!

Conversely I always think monk would be fun with all their strong abilities, but I can't make it past the first few levels. Even when I rolled a level 25 one the class just felt too forgiving, especially with FD as a panic button. I guess I am just a glutton for punishment.

Bubbles
05-04-2017, 02:55 AM
Warrior is actually fun *until* raiding. Then you basically get to position mobs, pick targets and build aggro for hours on end without a break. It's even worse than being on the CH line.

Being a tank levelling up in 6 man groups is fun. You learn to be a great puller with good instincts, cuz you have zero tricks to split on pulls. You're married to any arrow you send out lol.

thebutthat
05-04-2017, 07:34 AM
I started a necro on p99, liked it but was super envious of enchanters being able to split and crawl dungeons better. So after a long grind on the necro, I made the switch to Enchanter thinking it had everything I wanted. While I did enjoy it, I ended up shelving the enchanter after missing the small perks of my necro more and more. Yeah yeah, enchanters do it more efficiently...but fucking a' necro's look way sexier doing it.

Trelaboon
05-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Because I didn't understand the complexities of end game raiding for pretty much all of live, and even the first several years on P99, I never understood why anyone would ever make a Warrior. I couldn't possibly imagine how it could be any fun at all to have zero spells and basically just auto attack and get punched on.

These days I main a 60 Warrior and it's so much fun to raid with I absolutely love it. I love that I carry like 6 bags filled with various situational items and clickies. I love standing in front of a dragon or giant while multiple Clerics are assigned to keep you alive. I love being the only thing between success and certain death. Warrior is a blast.

I also always hated Monks. They were so popular and I always felt they were so OP that I couldn't even bring myself to play one. Then I did, and I realized why they were so popular, now a 60 Monk is my primary alt.

In other words, i'd never have imagined myself playing these two characters five years ago.

Nixtar
05-04-2017, 09:48 AM
I think the only reason I stoped my druid on live was because I enjoy grouping so much and druids are not exactly min/max.

True, that's how I play these days. I had my fill of minmax and pushing content with a top tier guild on live. I also find a druid, much like a warrior, are a very good class to start up a group and do random incursions into lesser traveled places(which I also neglected on live). While not being minmax, you do have a decent toolbox and of course evac and ports.

When you get some of the useful clickies, you also end up having a large mana pool for heals, snare, and some DD. I did the root neck for Tunare symbol which made root/rotting super safe(and early levels it acts like a free infinite cast DOT) + utility in CC since it is free. There there are RotG BPs, thorns gloves, and some useful ES pieces which free up even more mana.

For other times, it is nice to have a more specialized alt like a rogue(and they are dirt cheap to gear up these days).

Swish
05-04-2017, 05:01 PM
If you ever feel like you wished a druid was great, they excel when it comes to EQ pvp.

skarlorn
05-05-2017, 02:26 PM
i liked rogue a lot more than anticipated

Cecily
05-05-2017, 03:52 PM
I haven't played too many classes, but I sure did enjoy classic ranger. Druid was a fun change of pace after years on a group-bound rogue, and good lord killing 4 blues at once never got old after countless deaths to singles (I never believed that rogues can't solo nonsense here or on live). My third and final character on P99 was my ranger and I love her because she's quite literally a hybrid of my other two characters. By far the most fun to play.

Muggens
05-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Echoing alot of what's already said(altitis, dont wanna buff and click lots). Live chars I had was 65 monk(alt turned main) 40 warrior(started),40 rogue(Fv server), 50 ranger,40 berserk(last class i tried live). P99: 60 rogue(alt turned main), 34 sham(started),30 rng, 29 dru, lvl 20 something war, monk,Wiz(alt lvling now).
Monk too OP, rogue and warrior best meleé for me. Dont enjoy Wis casters nor ranger anymore. Enc too OP, never cared for Int but found now that I really like Wiz. Bard, necro,sk not my style.
Suprisingly i wanna lvl the Wiz if I get online now. Rog most fun class I might twink and make another one to solo with.