PDA

View Full Version : EQ slang now and back then

Izmael
05-02-2017, 12:17 PM
What did we use to say back before 2002 and don't, anymore? Or what terms have been newly coined?

I'll start with a few I can think of:

Now: box
Then: hydra

Now: BiS
Then: -

Now: -
Then: uber

Now: C
Then: crack, clarity

Now: TL, xloc
Then: punt

Now: flop
Then: FD

Now: pixels
Then: loot, phat lewt

Yasi
05-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Crack/clarity and loot aside, you were dealing with some weird People mate.

pogs4ever
05-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Gtg is always "good to go".

But I find it is also "got to go" nowadays.

milanojay
05-02-2017, 01:08 PM
'whiffing' (missing a lot)

Lhancelot
05-02-2017, 01:26 PM
What about PWN? Is there a new word for PWN??? Like, you got PWND BRO!!!!!@!

loramin
05-02-2017, 01:50 PM
What about PWN? Is there a new word for PWN??? Like, you got PWND BRO!!!!!@!

wrekt?

richice
05-02-2017, 01:52 PM
"RIP" is used a lot now.

RedSlave
05-02-2017, 03:17 PM
I still haven't any idea what BiS means.

mickmoranis
05-02-2017, 03:23 PM
I remember watching woot be created and spread.. not that I was there for its first usage, but i was definitely there for its first 5% of its usage at least.

converstaions like this all over norrath:

glagwok shouts: WOOT
mordick shouts: what is woot?
palvlork shouts: Woot is WOOT

Squabbles123
05-02-2017, 03:25 PM
I still haven't any idea what BiS means.

Best in Slot.

Prefers to the best item for a specific gear slot, it also typically lists certain times of the game, like

BiS Pre-Planer
BiS Post Raiding

Etc.

mickmoranis
05-02-2017, 03:25 PM
now: box hero
then: player killer

RedSlave
05-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Best in Slot.

Prefers to the best item for a specific gear slot, it also typically lists certain times of the game, like

BiS Pre-Planer
BiS Post Raiding

Etc.

I see, thanks!

Squabbles123
05-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I remember watching woot be created and spread.. not that I was there for its first usage, but i was definitely there for its first 5% of its usage at least.

converstaions like this all over norrath:

glagwok shouts: WOOT
mordick shouts: what is woot?
palvlork shouts: Woot is WOOT

Woot is a great one, but WOOT is still just WOOT, it survived EQ and moved to WoW (along with most of the player base), WoW spread it even further and its now just an old gaming expressions that a HUGE % of people have heard at least once.

Rygar
05-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Then: Hawt Cyber
Now: No females on P99

Then: OS (for Old Sebilis... on Torv server everyone called it that, no one on P99 understands it seems)
Now: Seb

Then: WTS Wavecrasher - 130k, best agro weapon!
Now: WTS Midnight Mallet - 700p

thejester11
05-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Then: MC
Now: mana?/mana check

Then: Hey want to go kill that dragon that's been up 2 days?
Now: CONCPDE!

Lhancelot
05-02-2017, 05:52 PM
now: box hero
then: player killer

Yeah but we never said, "Hey Jebekn is a player killer!" We would say, "Hey, Jebekn is a PK!"

Which then reminds me when RZ became populated by the pussyfooted "Anti-PKs," or as they were simply known as, "Antis."

SMH.

Which then begs the question, how did a PVP server develop a political atmosphere that made PVP wrong? rofl. Ahh, Rallos Zek. What happened to you?

loramin
05-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Which then begs the question, how did a PVP server develop a political atmosphere that made PVP wrong? rofl. Ahh, Rallos Zek. What happened to you?

I'd never heard of the "antis", but when a PvP server develops a vocal anti-PvP constituency I'm pretty sure it means that PvP in that game really, really sucks.

Lhancelot
05-02-2017, 06:06 PM
I'd never heard of the "antis", but when a PvP server develops a vocal anti-PvP constituency I'm pretty sure it means that PvP in that game really, really sucks.

What happened was, the majority felt like victims so they began creating guilds that supported the idea that PVP should only be between feuding guilds, not random killings on unsuspecting players, or ganking.

The major guilds that were raiding at the top of the server supported this ideology and so basically PVP became outlawed.

In the end, only one major guild continued PVPing at cap level and that was <Curse>. They basically were a small guild of hardcore PVPers who were blackballed on the server, forever.

Long story made longer, I had a necro in Curse, and after the guild basically broke apart and died, I wanted to start raiding.

At that time, <Destiny of Zek> was a fairly superior guild on the server, and I contacted them to try to join them, and was told by Sadko, their GL that I had to pay them 500kpp to get off their KOS list.

Obviously I said no thanks, and so remained guildless till I quit that game/server and went to EQ2.

No other guilds would invite you if you were on DOZ KOS list, too btw.

That's how retarded players were there, and how butthurt they got over being killed in PVP.

I still had fun randomly killing all the chickenshit antis though, and many of them even became good pals of mine after we'd fight.

They would often say they wished they could PVP more, but they'd not be able to raid if they did, so they were forced to join anti guilds.

In a way it's kind of neat that the server developed it's own political landscape and stuff, but it sucked that PVP literally was outlawed by the political system there.

The only PVP allowed was guild versus guilds during guild wars that were over raiding disputes.

loramin
05-02-2017, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it means that PvP in that game really, really sucks.

*Long story about PvP sucking in EQ*

Seriously though, your story is an example of exactly what I'm talking about. In every MMOG with PvP that came after the first two Zeks the PvP aspect was always team-based. DaoC, SW:G, WoW ... heck even Sullon Zek. Or if it wasn't team-based it heavily encouraged the players to organize themselves in to teams and put heavy restrictions on who can PvP who and where (eg. EVE). A free for all "let everyone kill everyone" server just isn't fun for anyone except those at the top, which completely explains where the "antis" came from.

I saw this great article (here's wikipedia's summary of it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_taxonomy_of_player_types)) where some guy broke down MMOGs in to four groups of players, one of which was griefers (I think he called them "killers"). His point was that when you design your game you have to accept that you will have griefers, but you have to design things so they can have their fun without ruining the fun of everyone else. Red-style servers only give those folks the "at the expense of everyone else" ways of having fun (vs. team-oriented servers that let griefers and non-griefers have fun together), so naturally they have their fun and drive everyone else away.

Honestly given the failure of everything that came before it I'm surprised Red lasted as long as it did.

mickmoranis
05-02-2017, 06:36 PM

thats what rallos zek was though. Murder does really suck and rallos zek was everquest, that was what it was supposed to be more like real life. Even watching your casual friend be felled and lose his precious bracer felt like watching someone die IRL

Fenna
05-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Seriously though, your story is an example of exactly what I'm talking about. In every MMOG with PvP that came after the first two Zeks the PvP aspect was always team-based. DaoC, SW:G, WoW ... heck even Sullon Zek. Or if it wasn't team-based it heavily encouraged the players to organize themselves in to teams and put heavy restrictions on who can PvP who and where (eg. EVE). A free for all "let everyone kill everyone" server just isn't fun for anyone except those at the top, which completely explains where the "antis" came from.

I saw this great article (here's wikipedia's summary of it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_taxonomy_of_player_types)) where some guy broke down MMOGs in to four groups of players, one of which was griefers (I think he called them "killers"). His point was that when you design your game you have to accept that you will have griefers, but you have to design things so they can have their fun without ruining the fun of everyone else. Red-style servers only give those folks the "at the expense of everyone else" ways of having fun (vs. team-oriented servers that let griefers and non-griefers have fun together), so naturally they have their fun and drive everyone else away.

Honestly given the failure of everything that came before it I'm surprised Red lasted as long as it did.
Interesting... is there any history or explanation as to why P99 did ffa vs teams PVP? That server seems to be struggling.

Lhancelot
05-02-2017, 10:05 PM

That's sort of interesting, but not something totally new to me.

This Bartles Taxonomy is simply taking a Myers Briggs Type Indicator test and simplifying it greatly then twisting it with a MMO motif.

Still interesting though, because I always find personality type tests fascinating.

I'd definitely fall under the "killer" persona, as I greatly prefer fighting players over mobs and have always gravitated to PVP games. I honestly just enjoy competitive gameplay between players for the unscripted type battles you can have when doing PVP.

I see how others fall into the other categories though, like the socializers. There's always that guy that doesn't really level much, doesn't really do a lot in the game but just chats and talks to people. Sinstar/Wohse/Locos is like this, one that comes to mind. He seems to just log in to chat in /ooc.

Zemus
05-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Then:
Bibs
PGT
FBSS

Now:
Blackened Iron Bastard Sword (http://wiki.project1999.com/Blackened_Iron_Bastard_Sword)
Polished Granite Tomahawk (http://wiki.project1999.com/Polished_Granite_Tomahawk)
FBSS

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Sorry, ~la

NachtMystium
05-03-2017, 12:28 AM
What did we use to say back before 2002 and don't, anymore? Or what terms have been newly coined?

I'll start with a few I can think of:

Now: box
Then: hydra

Now: BiS
Then: -

Now: -
Then: uber

Now: C
Then: crack, clarity

Now: TL, xloc
Then: punt

Now: flop
Then: FD

Now: pixels
Then: loot, phat lewt

hydra for box: wtf?
punt: xloc/tl? it's always just been port
fd/flop has always been used

i'll give you pixels but the rest you stretchin it m8

Izmael
05-03-2017, 04:29 AM
hydra for box: wtf?
punt: xloc/tl? it's always just been port
fd/flop has always been used

i'll give you pixels but the rest you stretchin it m8

I'm talking pre-2002. I dont think I ever heard anyone referring to playing multiple characters at once as "boxing" these days. On the other hand, "hydra" was the term, I have pretty vivid memories of it. At least on the Saryrn and AB servers I played on.

shuklak
05-03-2017, 04:39 AM
Now: EC
Then: gbay

articnv
05-03-2017, 04:55 AM
i never heard the term box til wow only heard of multi boxing as hdyra bcz one person many charcters like the hydra more then 1 head. Maybe was eclsuive to saryrn and stromm server but there was alot of hydras on saryn

shuklak
05-03-2017, 05:39 AM
i never heard the term box til wow only heard of multi boxing as hdyra bcz one person many charcters like the hydra more then 1 head. Maybe was eclsuive to saryrn and stromm server but there was alot of hydras on saryn

I can't even imagine... back when Velious came out that thing destroyed my computer. It was cranking like a big rig running their engine brakes. 2 boxing would have been unheard of. But I'm sure there were some college dropouts that blew their tuition on some gaming rig to do it big.

spiz
05-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Sorry, ~la

I was just about to post something about this ar~

Izmael
05-03-2017, 01:41 PM
no speaku engurishu (^_^), we CT kill w la ~

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 02:08 PM
I'm talking pre-2002. I dont think I ever heard anyone referring to playing multiple characters at once as "boxing" these days. On the other hand, "hydra" was the term, I have pretty vivid memories of it. At least on the Saryrn and AB servers I played on.

I think we always just said 2-boxing when someone was playing more than 1 account at the same time, like Sam Deathwalker did. He was one of the first I can recall too, who wasn't a farming bot group.

loramin
05-03-2017, 02:44 PM
I can't even imagine... back when Velious came out that thing destroyed my computer. It was cranking like a big rig running their engine brakes. 2 boxing would have been unheard of. But I'm sure there were some college dropouts that blew their tuition on some gaming rig to do it big.

Many of us who "2-boxed" in that era literally used 2 boxes, for that very reason. It was only later when PCs got more powerful and stuff like EQW came out that "boxing" began to mean multiple logins on a single box.

Lhancelot
05-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Many of us who "2-boxed" in that era literally used 2 boxes, for that very reason. It was only later when PCs got more powerful and stuff like EQW came out that "boxing" began to mean multiple logins on a single box.

Yeah makes sense. I remember saying 2-box a lot, but nothing over that haha.

Bubbles
05-04-2017, 02:44 AM
Then : my character

Now : My TOON.

Thank WOW for that one.

Borak
05-04-2017, 06:26 AM

This is correct. There was a guy in my guild who would either 4-box or 6-box depending on the circumstances, so we just called him xbox. When he showed us a picture of his layout, with a big semi-circular setup of PCs, keyboards and monitors, it was eye opening. Also, btw, paying 6x the subscription fees for playing all those accounts at the same time back in the day.

Hetjan
05-04-2017, 04:16 PM
AFK ... BIO ...

I mean really AFK works, I don't care why. Whenever I see BIO I assume a sock is being filled and your messing fingers are still on the keyboard.

Squabbles123
05-04-2017, 04:17 PM
AFK ... BIO ...

I mean really AFK works, I don't care why. Whenever I see BIO I assume a sock is being filled and your messing fingers are still on the keyboard.

You say "Bio" so people know you might be awhile and will unable to return in an emergency.

Just "AFK" could mean you are still in the room but distracted.

Lhancelot
05-04-2017, 04:22 PM
You say "Bio" so people know you might be awhile and will unable to return in an emergency.

Just "AFK" could mean you are still in the room but distracted.

I say bio1 and bio2, that way there's no mistaking exactly which one I am doing.

Izmael
05-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Back then we used to say "nature calls" a lot.

Lhancelot
05-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Back then we used to say "nature calls" a lot.

Or, draining the weasel. I used that a lot.

Llandris
05-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Then : my character

Now : My TOON.

Thank WOW for that one.

Cringe

maskedmelon
05-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Cringe

gotta second the cringe. i HATE the word "toon" for character.

Jimjam
05-05-2017, 01:46 AM
Then: dr00ds

Now: DaP fodder.

fohkure
05-05-2017, 02:00 AM
It obviously didn't originate in EQ, but "zerging" was a lot more prevalent in normal eq conversation back then I feel.

Also before linking an item was a thing, you had the name then all the stats following it...

Oh and a/s/l?

mickmoranis
05-05-2017, 02:01 AM
i quit halfway through velious and some kid I went to school with just got into EQ (I could tell, his grades were slipping) I got him to talk and he referred to his character as his toon and I thought, fuk I got out at the right time.

Swish
05-05-2017, 03:26 AM
I say bio1 and bio2, that way there's no mistaking exactly which one I am doing.

chortled

Swish
05-05-2017, 03:29 AM
Page 5 and nobody said "woot!" / "w00t!" yet

Guess now, again thanks to wow, you might get a "gz" off someone if you level.