PDA

View Full Version : Ogres - what makes them so superior?

Lhancelot
04-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Anyone else notice how superior ogres are in combat compared to other races? Is it frontal stun immunity? Is it hidden statistical values?

I have a halfling warrior and an ogre warrior, and have put the same armor and weapons on them.

What I have noticed is the ogre warrior hits vastly harder. The ogre also misses much less. The ogre just feels immensely more tankier, period.

What is it that makes them so superior to the smaller races?

Obviously they start with higher strength and stamina, but this alone can't possibly grant them the superior performance they enjoy in combat.

I hate one thing about the ogre, that being their immense size, but it's hard to choose other races when you compare them side by side to the ogre and see how ridiculously better they perform in the game!

If only ogres could be more classes.

Anyone else notice the disparity between ogres and the other races when they compared them on the same class?

indiscriminate_hater
04-24-2017, 01:01 AM
frontal stun immunity, and don't let the haters tell you otherwise

Troxx
04-24-2017, 01:26 AM
It certainly is not the fashionquest - and as we all know that's the most important aspect in this game long term.

Darkatar
04-24-2017, 01:55 AM
What I have noticed is the ogre warrior hits vastly harder. The ogre also misses much less. The ogre just feels immensely more tankier, period.

Anyone else notice the disparity between ogres and the other races when they compared them on the same class?

I noticed the difference between troll and ogre shaman almost immediately, when in Lguk I pushed a ghoul off of the ledge by Rit and channeled gate through the unslowed train that came up through Ass/sup fort, but my troll would be lucky to cast gate through two unslowed mobs.

On melee, I've played a 60ogre war and a 60elf (forget if it was Halfelf or Woodelf) when asked a couple times.

Both toons hit 255dex, both toons had 41% belts.

I can't really speak for their mitigation/DPS, as I was just using them for the duration of spiroc lord fights.

I can say that while I needed several click aggros to keep lord on me on the elf, the ogre only used a single hammer click to start and kept aggo the entire time. Both toons had their epics, the ogre was using epic/epic and the elf was using epic/rmoy iirc.

RNG could certainly be a factor, gear makeup, as well as group composition (these were done at different times) but part of me wonders if the ogre manages to get more swings off since it doesn't have to wait for melee stun effects. (can you swing while melee stunned? Also, can you dodge/parry/riposte while stunned? I generally don't melee, I don't know)

Troxx
04-24-2017, 05:52 AM
The only difference is frontal stun immunity once gear and buffs pushes your stats to cap.

At low levels the ogre warrior will do a lot more damage ... huge starting strength makes a big difference.

Nuggie
04-24-2017, 07:10 AM
frontal stun immunity, and don't let the haters tell you otherwise

This guy speaks truth.

Stun immunity is huge for shamans. I've played both in velious, borrowed characters, and I succeed more often with the ogre than the troll. Getting interrupted on those torpors sucks.

Lhancelot
04-24-2017, 10:36 AM
This guy speaks truth.

Stun immunity is huge for shamans. I've played both in velious, borrowed characters, and I succeed more often with the ogre than the troll. Getting interrupted on those torpors sucks.

That's another experiment I did, granted I did not have torpor on two toons to compare or even two 60s, but only lower lvl shamans to compare.

On my barbarian shaman the amount of interrupts when trying to land spells compared to my ogre shaman which is 55 now is unbelievable.

I mean it's not just slightly noticeable, it's every encounter the barb has if a spell gets resisted, chances of him getting interrupted on the next attempt to land a spell is quite high where as the ogre rarely gets interrupted.

I suspected this could be the case for shamans, it didn't really surprise me. I was just hoping once barbarian spiritist's hammer began proccing, it might make up for the interrupts, but it did not. The hammer didn't proc enough for me to deal with the constant interrupts and stuns the barb shaman would take.

What has surprised me the most is on the warriors though.

My halfling warrior is 40+ and I found him fun, but when I hopped back on my old ogre warrior, used some shrink pots and played him it's just stupid how much more effective he is in every aspect of grouping as a warrior.

The ogre warrior holds aggro easier, he hits harder, he hits more often, he feels tankier. I really feel like there are some hidden statistical values on this race.

I just wish I could make a ogre necro ffs, and a ogre rogue. That would be pretty cool. Imagine the BS's an ogre rogue would land. :eek:

Samoht
04-24-2017, 11:18 AM
he hits harder, he hits more often

This just sounds made up. At this point, it's anecdotal at best. Do you have any logs to support your claim?

Troxx
04-24-2017, 11:23 AM
The ogre warrior holds aggro easier, he hits harder, he hits more often, he feels tankier. I really feel like there are some hidden statistical values on this race.

This is not accurate, sorry. For the purposes of holding aggro an ogre warrior only has the advantage that they do not get stunned from the front - which means less lost potential melee threat. This is counterbalanced in that they have lower starting dexterity than other warriors and will proc less over time.

Ogres do hit harder at lower levels. Higher strength equates to higher str bonuses and greater attack. Strength values equal (either by gear or buffs) and they do no more or less damage than warrior races of other class ... except for that time that might have been lost while being stunned briefly with bashes.

There are no hidden statistical values for ogres. What you see is what you get.

Caiu
04-24-2017, 11:48 AM
I don't think that dude has even been over level 30 on any toon. So the higher STR the ogre starts out with probably is why he's making those claims.

chevy79bu
04-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Their purdy mugz is wut make the ogre special! Elves are puny and dumb

Amyas
04-24-2017, 12:46 PM
frontal stun immunity

Lhancelot
04-24-2017, 05:54 PM
This just sounds made up. At this point, it's anecdotal at best. Do you have any logs to support your claim?

It's purely anecdotal, I never claimed I was a walking/talking facts machine. But I know how it feels and the ogre feels far superior.

People answered though and gave their honest opinions on the matter, and it's clear I am not alone in noticing how much more superior the ogre is.

Clearly others have noticed the difference too. Their experiences were also purely anecdotal btw. No logs to support their claims, guess that means it's false in your nerd-world right?

maskedmelonpai
04-24-2017, 06:10 PM
But I know how it feels and the ogre feels far superior.

it cause they massive. size matters....

that said, i ain't never ogre before. couldn't stomach it :c but they will hit harder, you definitely right there.

best thing about ogres is they talking, liek the good ones. they sound so cute :3 dbl shrunk tiny ogre ftw ^^

NachtMystium
04-24-2017, 06:11 PM
i have a female ogre warrior named socialjustice warryer and female troll shaman named genderbender

Gumbo
04-24-2017, 06:16 PM
True warrior would be a Dwarf and doing a barrel-roll when jumping into combat...

Ashintar
04-24-2017, 06:17 PM
Ogre warriors get their awesomeness from their cultural armor

Tropica
04-24-2017, 06:20 PM
I just wish I could make a ogre necro ffs, and a ogre rogue. That would be pretty cool. Imagine the BS's an ogre rogue would land. :eek:

ogres...big...loud....noticable.

i suspect Hide would be a class-breaker. would you be willing to sacrifice Sneak for this?

Lhancelot
04-24-2017, 07:16 PM
it cause they massive. size matters....

that said, i ain't never ogre before. couldn't stomach it :c but they will hit harder, you definitely right there.

best thing about ogres is they talking, liek the good ones. they sound so cute :3 dbl shrunk tiny ogre ftw ^^

All great points, MM. The only way I can play the ogre is shrunken, too. Otherwise targeting is a real PITA, especially on my warrior. When shrunk though, it's a ton of fun. :p

kotton05
04-24-2017, 07:25 PM
I guess a bigger toon just feels stronger than a small race warrior wise but you spend most your time shrunk once you get a bracer. Other than that not getting stunned is huge and the time you don't spend stunned will equal more dps/aggro in the long run.

Lhancelot
04-24-2017, 11:00 PM
I guess a bigger tool just feels stronger...

I concur, a bigger tool does feel stronger. :cool:

Brut
04-25-2017, 05:34 AM
The face.