PDA

View Full Version : OT hammer - more proc if you are slowed ?

maxlaurent
04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Hey all,
a shaman told me that if u are slowed, the OT hammer will proc faster. It seems to be true, can anyone confirm this ? (I don't see the link between slow and proc).
Thanks for answer !

Trollhide
04-21-2017, 10:39 AM
It slow affects your proc chance per swing, does not change proc chance per minute. So it will take less swings to proc on average but those swings will be happening more slowly than if you were unslowed.

Troxx
04-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Getting slowed only increases your chances that any individual swing will proc for you - but will not increase your average proc rate. Being slowed makes that first swing more likely to proc, but hasted/slowed/not has no bearing on the average time i takes to get that proc.

People used to exploit this mechanic with "shakerpaging" whereby a warrior would pull eleventy billion mobs, take off haste, get slowed, and then hit rampage aa to let them swing once per mob in range. SLowed and without haste, it would proc a pbaoe once for each mob hit and proc.

indiscriminate_hater
04-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Expected number of procs per minute is independent of swing rate and hit rate

dude
04-21-2017, 04:11 PM
Mine takes for ever to proc, I get better results from toggling the attack. I have literally killed mob'(s) with my OT hammer.

Doctor Jeff
04-21-2017, 04:20 PM
always unequip and re-equip the item after every swing as well.

loramin
04-21-2017, 04:22 PM
always unequip and re-equip the item after every swing as well.

This sounds a bit superstitious; what's the logic behind it?

Lhancelot
04-21-2017, 09:10 PM

I don't know if it works or not, but anecdotally I am finding my barb spiritist's hammer seems to proc double the amount of times when I unequip and re-equip it. lol I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me or not, but it seems usually it procs once a fight. When I switch it in and out, it is going off twice.

GinnasP99
04-21-2017, 10:15 PM
I've always had good results taking my pants off

Vexenu
04-22-2017, 12:13 AM
For best results, /q out of EQ and reboot your PC between swings.

Doctor Jeff
04-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Someone with access to the proc code would probably be able to explain it, but as far as I can tell it's just that your first attack always has a higher chance to proc than subsequent attacks. Re-equiping the item just makes it think its the first attack again.

loramin
04-23-2017, 12:15 PM
anecdotally I am finding my barb spiritist's hammer seems to proc double the amount of times when I unequip and re-equip it.
as far as I can tell it's just that your first attack always has a higher chance to proc than subsequent attacks
Very interesting, I'll have to try this.

Already tried this. I didn't proc faster but ...

For best results, /q out of EQ and reboot your PC between swings.
It works better if you just restart the PC without doing /q first.

Victorio
04-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Someone with access to the proc code would probably be able to explain it, but as far as I can tell it's just that your first attack always has a higher chance to proc than subsequent attacks. Re-equiping the item just makes it think its the first attack again.
There might be something to this...

Gain
04-23-2017, 03:02 PM
I usually proc right after I com plain about it not proccing

Izmael
04-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Forgetting to unequip it and engaging some rare spawn deep in a dungeon usually works 100% on first swing.

loramin
04-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Forgetting to unequip it and engaging some rare spawn deep in a dungeon usually works 100% on first swing.

Can guarantee this works from way too much experience.

fadetree
04-24-2017, 09:13 AM
As a long time Swarmcaller victim, I can verify that un-equipping and re-equipping the weapon seems to work. However, I firmly believe that it's just confirmation bias and there is no actual effect. Consider: when do you most often get desperate and try to get things going by swapping the weapon in and out? When you have gone a long time without a proc, that's when, so naturally you are 'more likely' to get a proc soon after a swap.

Varren
04-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Consider: when do you most often get desperate and try to get things going by swapping the weapon in and out? When you have gone a long time without a proc, that's when, so naturally you are 'more likely' to get a proc soon after a swap.

Each random event is independent of what came before. Consider the coin toss.

planarity
04-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Consider: when do you most often get desperate and try to get things going by swapping the weapon in and out? When you have gone a long time without a proc, that's when, so naturally you are 'more likely' to get a proc soon after a swap.

Varren is right, this doesn't make any sense. Going without a proc for a long time does not mean that a proc is any more likely.

Troxx
04-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Without confirmation from the source code itself, it is safe to assume that simple tricks like equipping/unequipping are purely anecdotal. As the above poster already said - confirmation bias.

If there are 9 green marbles and 1 yellow marble in a bag, you have a 1 in ten chance of drawing a yellow. If you put whatever marble back in the back and do it again, it still and will always be a 1 in 10 chance. It doesn't matter if you drew 4 yellow marbles in a row or went 99 draws with nothing but green. Each chance is 10%.

Over time, statistically you should get a yellow marble 10% of the time. Taking all the marbles out of the bag and then putting them all back in the bag will not make a difference.

Outside of source code to prove otherwise (ie a weighted chance on first swing ... which realistically could be easily built in to the code) - I'd put this in the 'fiction' category.

Doctor Jeff
04-25-2017, 09:26 AM
when do you most often get desperate and try to get things going by swapping the weapon in and out? When you have gone a long time without a proc

Not true.

Everquest is about consistency, I either do it the entire time, or I don't do it at all.

fadetree
04-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Varren is right, this doesn't make any sense. Going without a proc for a long time does not mean that a proc is any more likely.

Of course not. But it makes you *feel* like you are, and so when it happens you get confirmation bias.

fadetree
04-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Not true.

Everquest is about consistency, I either do it the entire time, or I don't do it at all.

Ok, Jeff is an exception, so noted. Hey everybody - Jeff is consistent. All or nothing, that's Jeff.

fadetree
04-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Each random event is independent of what came before. Consider the coin toss.

Yes, I know. I'm talking about human perception, not math.

However, I firmly believe that it's just confirmation bias and there is no actual effect.

See that ^ part? The part where I said it has no actual effect?

kotton05
04-25-2017, 02:57 PM

Wish I was as lucky as you when I take my pants off it's like I cast an AOE fear

Erati
04-25-2017, 03:12 PM
I always proc after I start complaining about lack of proc

mcoy
04-25-2017, 03:35 PM

This right here. Inevitablly it's as I'm typing "sorry stupid hammer out of charges", or something along those lines, and it procs mid sentence.

Jimjam
04-25-2017, 03:48 PM

I find '(redacted) sold me another goddam broken hammer' usually does the trick.

Doctor Jeff
04-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Ok, Jeff is an exception, so noted. Hey everybody - Jeff is consistent. All or nothing, that's Jeff.

You described a situation that doesn't happen.

surron
04-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Well idk about p99 but according to EQEmu source (which p99 came from) there is no higher chance to proc the first time you swing a weapon.

Take a look at TryWeaponProc, ExecWeaponProc, GetProcChances in zone/attack.cpp there is nothing keeping track of whether or not its a weapons first swing.

link https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob/633b7e2a6ca48689f340a6a2b85da311b7cbaf2b/zone/attack.cpp

Nommis
04-25-2017, 07:19 PM

It's coded in, like when a chanter has a charmed pet and is like, "AFK, bathroom!" and gets wrecked immediately after.

Vexenu
04-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Was trying to proc my hammer the other night on EC trash mobs and got bored of swinging without proccing for over a minute so I just /quit. Logged back in 48 hours later next to a grass snake. Attacked and procced before the hit landed.

Folks, this is a real phenomena.

The answer to proccing your OT hammer on demand is clearly logging out for days between play sessions. Try it and report back.