PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Starting as Enchanter

Qohleth
04-17-2017, 11:26 AM
So I'm new to p1999 and wanted to roll an Enchanter. Had one back in classic. What would be the best race to go solo? And any advice for the first levels?

I'm thinking Gnome and then soloing until 4 before heading to FP.

cubiczar
04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
So I'm new to p1999 and wanted to roll an Enchanter. Had one back in classic. What would be the best race to go solo? And any advice for the first levels?

I'm thinking Gnome and then soloing until 4 before heading to FP.

If you like gnome to start go with gnome. As far as boons gnomes get tinkering to set them apart from other races but have low cha so dump probably max points into that. The only other race you might look into is dark elf. They get hide as a racial ability which is a nice way to kill charm without using a spell slot.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot of reason to choose one race over the other. Stats can be resolved with gear and you get illusions for fashionquest or vision. So all the races will be fine just pick whatever appeals to you.

Amyas
04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Gnomelet spend CHA level to 4 then head to orc hill then CB = profit

Izmael
04-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Looks is #1 priority for any class. Play whatever you like the looks of.

If looks don't matter, high elf is the obvious min/maxing choice and it's not even close.

Some will say DE'd racial hide is useful but in reality, it is very rarely used, and after you get Improved Invis, you pretty much never use it.

Ravager
04-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Not only do High Elves get the best starting stats, but they win fashionquest with their cultural chainmail.

Zade
04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Ive always liked DE enchanters. You can get steins a lot easier IIRC.

loramin
04-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Not only do High Elves get the best starting stats, but they win fashionquest with their cultural chainmail.

Enchanters can wear chainmail?

Cen
04-21-2017, 03:17 PM
High Elf Mages/Wizards/Enchanters can wear the High Elf Cultural Chainmail. Its one interesting thing about high elf casters :p

Also Wood Elf Druids can wear it, giving druids a chain option as well.

Cen
04-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Zade is also right, its a mild bonus, but level 8 DE Chanters can quest the Stein of Moggok sooner :) (make sure to kill the qeynos fish using a throwaway alt :D)

totmanc
04-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Looks is #1 priority for any class. Play whatever you like the looks of.

If looks don't matter, high elf is the obvious min/maxing choice and it's not even close.

Some will say DE'd racial hide is useful but in reality, it is very rarely used, and after you get Improved Invis, you pretty much never use it.

Think you should look at erudite stats beside HE before you talk about min maxing.... sure you get lower charisma but the higher int sta str dex make up for it... HE just lose a ton of points into wisdom for no reason

Samoht
04-21-2017, 07:33 PM
sure you get lower charisma but the higher int sta str dex make up for it...

No they don't. As a 60 Enchanter in raid gear, CHA is the hardest stat to keep max. Almost every piece of gear with high AC and raw HP that I add drops my CHA that much more. The higher base CHA of High Elf is the most important racial benefit for an Enchanter. Why are you even bringing up DEX, though? That's not a stat that matters for Enchanter. Not at all.

totmanc
04-21-2017, 08:31 PM
No they don't. As a 60 Enchanter in raid gear, CHA is the hardest stat to keep max. Almost every piece of gear with high AC and raw HP that I add drops my CHA that much more. The higher base CHA of High Elf is the most important racial benefit for an Enchanter. Why are you even bringing up DEX, though? That's not a stat that matters for Enchanter. Not at all.

Lol -------- > I swap out 3 pieces of my raid gear to max out cha don't know what you are doing wrong but i'd look into it. From my experience having 170 bonus mana will most likely allow you to charm or cast one more spell over 10 cha saving a life.

Also dex in caster works with our channeling skill which is based on x/y axis dex check and channeling skill.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Red:Strut

Samoht
04-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Lol -------- > I swap out 3 pieces of my raid gear to max out cha don't know what you are doing wrong but i'd look into it.

Is this argument just a humblebrag or are you trying to support my position? Because you in no way offered a retort to the point I made.

Oh, don't answer. I just realized you play on red and therefor won't ever be able to form a coherent argument.

But your Magelo proves that the CHA from being a High Elf is more important than ever. Thank you for that.

totmanc
04-21-2017, 08:48 PM
if you are at the raid level you are literally just buff bot. As an enchanter if you are soloing you can swap out your gear if it that grief to you.

1) more mana = more mana if charm breaks
2) more dex = better chance of channeling spells after break
3) more sta = more health.

Min/max means best blend not highest charisma also which is what i referenced.

loramin
04-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Oh, don't answer. I just realized you play on red and therefor won't ever be able to form a coherent argument.

From a newbie asking a question in the Starting Zone to needlessly defensive insults in under 2 pages (not that I necessarily disagree with Samoht's logic ...)

Welcome to the server* OP! ;)

* NOTE: The actual (game) server is nothing like this forum, and is generally filled with nice sociable people

Samoht
04-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Min/max means best blend not highest charisma also which is what i referenced.

It's just too bad that highest CHA means best min/max as far as Enchanters are concerned. You barely hit 200 CHA buffed in that gear set you linked and I don't see the items in your inventory to raise you to 255.

totmanc
04-21-2017, 09:01 PM
Neriad shawl/Some illusionist gear/Insignia Prot. But resists on red supersede anything else.
I don't know things might be different on red vs blue however.

Bonus to MR, Str, Int massively, Dex all make up for that 10 charisma racial.

Samoht
04-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Int massively

Nah, that's not how Enchanters work at all.

totmanc
04-21-2017, 09:13 PM

Work on your demeanor and avoid being a hypocrite in the future! have a nice day.

Consider Red might broaden and improve some overall game knowledge be more then happy to have another enchanter come over.

Samoht
04-21-2017, 09:17 PM
But resists on red supersede anything else.

Statements like this only strengthen my position since it takes less CHA gear to reach 255 if you have a higher starting CHA.

Work on your demeanor and avoid being a hypocrite in the future! have a nice day.

Consider Red might broaden and improve some overall game knowledge be more then happy to have another enchanter come over.

I'm still waiting on you to form any sort of coherent counter argument at all. I'm guessing I'll be waiting a long time.

totmanc
04-21-2017, 09:24 PM
I've already listed the benefits of being an Erudite.
150 bonus mana at 50. Higher MR. More Health. More STR. Higher Dex.

10 Charisma for a racial which is laughable to max does not make high elf better.

Samoht
04-21-2017, 09:32 PM
150 bonus mana at 50.

Only if you're less than 255, which is fairly easy to achieve in raid gear.

Higher Dex.

This is just not true. Erudite is tied with High Elf for the lowest DEX of all Enchanter races. If this was really your concern, you would roll a Gnome. Furthermore, I question how beneficial this is going to be to begin with.

More Health.

5 STA for a level 60 Enchanter is what... 12 HP? You want to talk about laughable...

More STR.

By 5.

10 Charisma for a racial which is laughable

It's more substantial than anything you listed. You also lose 15 AGI, which is probably going to be worse than anything you listed except for maybe the tiny amount of MR. But you can make up for that by wearing more resist gear since your CHA is easier to max.

Is this what you get for playing red? Do uncontested raid bosses make you forget how your class works?

totmanc
04-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Only if you're less than 255, which is fairly easy to achieve in raid gear.

This is just not true. Erudite is tied with High Elf for the lowest DEX of all Enchanter races. If this was really your concern, you would roll a Gnome. Furthermore, I question how beneficial this is going to be to begin with.

Is this what you get for playing red? Do uncontested raid bosses make you forget how your class works?

I was wrong I looked up the stats dex is the same for both HE and Erudite

At the end of a the day when you enter the raid scene as an enchanter you are a buff bot either way so may as well be an erudite for that extra mana. Prior to that bonus mana is nice for charm breaks

Red has 2 raid guilds Ragnarok and Apex both capable of killing Vulak with ease and has 50v50 characters fighting over the dragons? as opposed to a footrace to tap a dragon on the snout good god.

Samoht
04-21-2017, 09:56 PM
At the end of a the day when you enter the raid scene as an enchanter you are a buff bot either way so may as well be an erudite for that extra mana.

I think you severely misunderstand why you would want to wear raid gear as an Enchanter.