PDA

View Full Version : Advice - OT Hammer Faction & Karnor's Castle

evanderheide
04-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Happy Monday everyone!

My core question; do I need to grind faction (via the Sarnak war braid quest) or pay for an MQ OT Hammer BEFORE going to Karnor's Castle, or can I pay to get it MQ'ed after trashing Venthril Sathir faction easily?

For background, I've got a 47 Troll Warrior I've been leveling as my first character on the server. Overall, it's been going great and I've been steadily gearing the guy off of saving and the occasional gear loan from kind folks.

I've been almost exclusively leveling and logging out near / in dungeons - as a Warrior non-twink I can't solo effectively and my play sessions are usually 1-2 hours in the evenings and longer on the weekends. As a result, I never did the whole OT whip grind in the low 40's in a group. I'm currently in CoM and intend to go to Karnor's Castle once I get to 50, but I'm concerned that it seems like hunting in KC trashes your Venthril Sathir faction, preventing me (more or less permanently) from getting an OT Hammer, which I definitely will want.

Anyone got any clever work around or advice on this? Should I drop everything and go and SUPER slowly grind out Sarnak whips myself now BEFORE KC, save the 2k to get it MQ'd (which I'm guessing is fastest) BEFORE going to KC, or will MQ tricks mean it doesn't matter and I can just get it regardless of faction IF I pay to MQ it?

Keep in mind, while I know a DECENT amount about the game, I know little about MQ stuff. Any advice is appreciated!!!!

kotton05
04-17-2017, 09:56 AM
You don't need the faction what so ever. It's also fairly easy to raise if you tag a few world dragons.

Reason you don't need faction is who ever you buy the MQ from will have you charm a mob turning it from scowling to indiff (which iirc is all you need) then you turn in.

Samoht
04-17-2017, 10:06 AM
You cannot do the turn in at indifferent. Charming the quest mob actually raises your faction to amiable for the turn in.

To answer your question, if you're going to do it via braids, yes do it before you start EXPing in KC or HS. In fact, do it now. The weapon won't proc until 50, but the sooner you finish, the sooner you can join Kunark dungeon EXP groups without having to worry.

Also, if you can manage it, a click from an Ornate Velium Pendant (http://wiki.project1999.com/Ornate_Velium_Pendant) could help to temporarily raise your faction above the required threshold.

evanderheide
04-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Okay - all good input so far.

Just to confirm, the MQ WILL work even if i trash my faction first?

I'd honestly rather save and pay for the MQ I think then try to grind the braids individually as a non-twin warrior, BUT I'll wait until like 51 and see if I can kill the sarnaks with less trouble - I stopped because I was taking too much damage at 40 for it to be manageable at a reasonable rate.

Wish I had some damn skill-ups in the 40's!!! Then it would be easy peazy :).

Shodo
04-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Yes, you can buy the MQ even with trashed faction. Overall it's probably better to just go to KC and worry about hammer later - you'll end up with 2k after a few group sessions most likely. But if you'd rather save some coin, the OT berserkers shouldn't be too bad at 50 even with poor gear.

evanderheide
04-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Cool - okay sounds like I'll be fine if I just pay for it later, but I'll take a crack at the berserkers again around 50. Hopefully by then the other mobs won't aggro as much.

Ugh, I can't wait until i get out of CoM and actually go back to having a normal hunting income. Going from MM, where I was making like 2-3k per level to CoM where it's like 800 pp, no bueno. I've been able to farm a couple of Shiny Brass Idols to keep my gearing on pace.

Would way rather spend the next 2k I make on Barbed Dragonscale Boots then on an MQ hammer lol. Will be fine paying for it once I get into KC or Seb.

falkun
04-17-2017, 10:37 AM
I don't know what your gear is like, but generally levels > all. At level 60 in trash gear, you have the potential to make more money than at 55 with near BIS.

evanderheide
04-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Yeah, that's been my approach too. I basically have tried to level as quickly and consistently as possible, with the exception of selling goblin ears - 30pp per ear was just too damn enticing :) and got me my Frostbringer.

Whirled
04-17-2017, 10:49 AM
At lvl 47; you could stomp berserkers easily and then hand in the braids, but to each their own.

kotton05
04-17-2017, 10:52 AM
You cannot do the turn in at indifferent. Charming the quest mob actually raises your faction to amiable for the turn in.

Thanks for clarifying wasn't sure if it was indiff or higher.

Samoht
04-17-2017, 10:55 AM
By the way, you don't actually have to kill the Berserkers. The braids are not magic, so you can disarm them and then pick them up off the ground (or at least you could on live). I'm not sure whether that helps or not, but I thought it was funny when I figured that out.

evanderheide
04-17-2017, 11:03 AM
At lvl 47; you could stomp berserkers easily and then hand in the braids, but to each their own.

Really? I'll definitely give it a shot, but at 40, I found I took a substantial amount of damage.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but from what I've seen, as a warrior you really don't get substantially more POWERFUL from 40-50 because between 40-50 you don't get any skill-ups. Thus, while I have more HP and better gear then I did at 40, I actually don't FIGHT anymore effectively on average - which is SUPER motivating let me tell ya :).

I'll definitely give it a shot, and while I'm no super twink, my gear isn't dog crap. I'll def give it a shot though, I'd love to say I got the stupid thing myself!

Whirled
04-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Really? I'll definitely give it a shot, but at 40, I found I took a substantial amount of damage.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but from what I've seen, as a warrior you really don't get substantially more POWERFUL from 40-50 because between 40-50 you don't get any skill-ups. Thus, while I have more HP and better gear then I did at 40, I actually don't FIGHT anymore effectively on average - which is SUPER motivating let me tell ya :).

I'll definitely give it a shot, and while I'm no super twink, my gear isn't dog crap. I'll def give it a shot though, I'd love to say I got the stupid thing myself!

They should be "high green con" at the most, for your level. If you are not curb-jawing them - something is wrong...
I think it gives about half a blue XP per 4 braids handed in; which isn't terrible.
Plenty of people in OT to ask for buffs too, if that helps your game.
Being able to bank there pre-50 was a help on more than 1 character for me, though the rip off sellers does make it a good argument to tank faction. And when/if you do go to KC, think of the easy pulls you will have before you kill faction.

Liia
04-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Happy Monday everyone!

My core question; do I need to grind faction (via the Sarnak war braid quest) or pay for an MQ OT Hammer BEFORE going to Karnor's Castle, or can I pay to get it MQ'ed after trashing Venthril Sathir faction easily?

For background, I've got a 47 Troll Warrior I've been leveling as my first character on the server. Overall, it's been going great and I've been steadily gearing the guy off of saving and the occasional gear loan from kind folks.

I've been almost exclusively leveling and logging out near / in dungeons - as a Warrior non-twink I can't solo effectively and my play sessions are usually 1-2 hours in the evenings and longer on the weekends. As a result, I never did the whole OT whip grind in the low 40's in a group. I'm currently in CoM and intend to go to Karnor's Castle once I get to 50, but I'm concerned that it seems like hunting in KC trashes your Venthril Sathir faction, preventing me (more or less permanently) from getting an OT Hammer, which I definitely will want.

Anyone got any clever work around or advice on this? Should I drop everything and go and SUPER slowly grind out Sarnak whips myself now BEFORE KC, save the 2k to get it MQ'd (which I'm guessing is fastest) BEFORE going to KC, or will MQ tricks mean it doesn't matter and I can just get it regardless of faction IF I pay to MQ it?

Keep in mind, while I know a DECENT amount about the game, I know little about MQ stuff. Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Find me in-game once you hit lvl50. Ill get you one free.

evanderheide
04-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Find me in-game once you hit lvl50. Ill get you one free.

That's super kind and greatly appreciated. Will do! More incentive to look forward to 50 (beyond not being in CoM anymore :))!

Sadiki
04-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Just to clarify,

You need higher than indifferent, which means you have to charm the mob. Typically what you're buying is the rights to borrow someone's Puppet Strings. Usually they require you are a certain level so you don't get a resist and waste a charge, which is worth ~1k.

Barrier
04-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Happy Monday everyone!

I have an ogre warrior and did the faction/quest before I got to 50. I'm not actually even 50 yet. And I soloed the braid beserkers pretty easily. I'm twinked with good haste and good clickies.

evanderheide
04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
I have an ogre warrior and did the faction/quest before I got to 50. I'm not actually even 50 yet. And I soloed the braid beserkers pretty easily. I'm twinked with good haste and good clickies.

Good to know. I'll give it a shot - my limitation is that I have no HP recovery item or clickies which I'm guessing would make the downtime annoying. My haste is okay - SCHW and my weapons are standard for aggro in that level range - Wrapped Entropy Serpent Spine and Frostbringer.

As I said, once at 49 or 50, I'll give it a shot. Guess I'm a totally baby about downtime. Would rather earn steady group EXP than sit their reading at the Skyfire Mountain ZL :).

Samoht
04-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Just bandage back to 50% and do it again. You don't need to be 100% health to kill greens.

Jimjam
04-17-2017, 01:26 PM
I honestly feel that it will be easier, quicker and at less opportunity cost to go join a hands group in KC, sit there for 3 hours collecting clicky armour and so on, vendor between sessions, and then spend the money on loaning out some puppet strings to complete the quest using charm.

I've seen plenty of warriors tank there at 50 without problem, even against the Drolvarg Warlord and Knight of Sathir (which are basically the non-raid bosses of the zone).

It is going to be unprofitable, time consuming and difficult to run around Overthere looking for berserkers to kill solo as a warrior. The time you spend doing that could be spent on a more fun quest, getting XP, making friends and boosting your plat balance.

I'd only suggest farming the faction with braids if you imagine you would find it to be an entertaining path in and of itself.

Barrier
04-18-2017, 07:56 AM
I honestly feel that it will be easier, quicker and at less opportunity cost to go join a hands group in KC, sit there for 3 hours collecting clicky armour and so on, vendor between sessions, and then spend the money on loaning out some puppet strings to complete the quest using charm.

I've seen plenty of warriors tank there at 50 without problem, even against the Drolvarg Warlord and Knight of Sathir (which are basically the non-raid bosses of the zone).

It is going to be unprofitable, time consuming and difficult to run around Overthere looking for berserkers to kill solo as a warrior. The time you spend doing that could be spent on a more fun quest, getting XP, making friends and boosting your plat balance.

I'd only suggest farming the faction with braids if you imagine you would find it to be an entertaining path in and of itself.

I've done it and I'd probably agree with this. It's not that running around and killing is such a pain. It's the finding them part that was annoying.

Expediency
04-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Ot hammer is best 2k you can spend on p99. Iignore faction grinding and just save the pp. Wont take long at your level

RDawg816
04-18-2017, 08:56 AM
I always bring my characters there and exp off berzerkers. I think the latest I ever got an OT hammer was level 42...

Troxx
04-18-2017, 11:51 AM
For those that can actually do the quest, leveling in OT and hunting berzerkers is amazing xp. Xp from the kills is good, but the quest is quite stellar - and you get that faction hammer out of the way for (more or less) free while doing level appropriate content.

Agnostic human monk, all evil races (excluding iksar), and evil classes (excluding iksar) can do the quest. There might be some other agnostic race/class combos that start off not KOS at outpost.

Bards, necros, and enchanters can manage their own charm for turn-in, so no need to spend time there if you don't want to.

Panicsferd
04-18-2017, 12:57 PM
For those that can actually do the quest, leveling in OT and hunting berzerkers is amazing xp. Xp from the kills is good, but the quest is quite stellar - and you get that faction hammer out of the way for (more or less) free while doing level appropriate content.

Agnostic human monk, all evil races (excluding iksar), and evil classes (excluding iksar) can do the quest. There might be some other agnostic race/class combos that start off not KOS at outpost.

Bards, necros, and enchanters can manage their own charm for turn-in, so no need to spend time there if you don't want to.

Also Necros (and maybe enchanters with their illusions?) when in skeleton form as an iksar necro I went from scowling to aprehensive and it allowed me to turn in the braids in skeleton form when I was leveling in OT... It even allowed to me buy and sell there at the various trainers who sold some of my spells.

But once I was 49/50 (since got my new undead charm, that can charm undead till lvl 51) then I just charmed the foreman, gave him a jade and I got my hammer.

But like others have said basically what you end up doing on classes that cannot charm the foreman himself you pay to borrow a puppet strings that anyone can use and it is for those people that want the hammer but don't want to slave away at getting the faction up from braids.

I think if you were leveling in OT earlier then maybe while you were leveling you could have turned in braids, I did that myself but I only turned in the braids like 10 or so times, it was good bonus xp but it didn't put me above scowling at all, so I think in your case it may just be better to save up and buy the MQ.

evanderheide
05-03-2017, 04:10 PM
I just wanted follow-up on this as I've now spent like 8-10 hours grinding Sarnak berserkers and should have my hammer pretty soon. After listening to peoples projections on how easy it would be to take them down 50+, I figured I'd give some hands-on experience. Overall, I'm glad I'm going to grind the hammer myself as the EXP from the whip hands-in is actually pretty decent even at 51.

At 51, I can grind the berserkers with minimal downtime as long as I have some form of regen and sow buff. The Sarnak berserkers tend to be the weakest of the monsters and frequently only infict 5-10% of my total HP worth of damage per fight. As long as I can run into the mob highway and snag a berserker or two, I can usually grind with minimal downtime. When I don't have chloro or regen, I can usually do 4 berserkers or so before I need to sit for a while.

That being said, the time handicap comes in the form of the damage inflicted by ads, especially Sarnak knights. Cockatrices and sabertooth tigers aggro and tend to deal substantially more damage, in the realm of 20-40% of my health per engagement. Guessing they're a few levels higher than the berserkers and as I mentioned, the lack of skill-ups between 40-50 makes my actual combat advantage more modest than you might initially expect.

In particular, the Sarnak knights are the most annoying to clear - while I don't have the data it seems to be the consensus in Overthere that they're on the same table as the berserkers, i.e. I have to kill them to get berserkers to spawn. They're also stronger then the cockatrices and tigers, so killing 2 of those in a row without regen can take me down to 20-15% health pretty damn quick.

All-in all, I'm still surprised by how much exp I've picked up turning in the braids. I will likely get 60% of 51 into 52 in OT almost entirely from questing - the mobs themselves offer little EXP.

Looking forward to getting the hammer and trashing my OT faction in Karnor's Castle 52 :)!!!!