PDA

View Full Version : Big-ticket MQ Protocol

indiscriminate_hater
04-06-2017, 02:45 PM
What's the usual protocol for the MQ transaction of expensive (50K+) items? Does the person receiving the MQ effect pay before or after? Is there a 50% before / 50% after scenario? Is it worth paying for an escrow service from a trusted third party? Is it generally a good idea to have both parties state in game chat the purpose of the trade and which items/PP are involved, and then take screenshots of these next to a /time timestamp?

I think for well-known buyers/sellers this is less of an issue, but we've seen cases in the past of players from reputable guilds being involved in large scams. What are best practices for players on either side of these transactions?

Itap
04-06-2017, 02:50 PM
I've payed for the MQ afterwards, but they were players from known guilds

Cecily
04-06-2017, 02:51 PM
When I'm selling one, I ask for the money upfront.

Darkatar
04-06-2017, 02:52 PM
I've always operated under the "Money up front" style.

Since staff do not support MQs, I've always feared that buyers would simply tell me to fuck off afterwards, and I'd be SOL trying to get my money out of them because it's "MQ related".

In the inverse though, If someone handed me 70k and I don't even attempt to provide a service, I think I would be liable for scamming, and the buyer WOULD have recourse.

In my experience, nobody has ever had a problem paying me up front.(Jboots/sham tears/cle epics)

Although, I digress, my experience with staff decisions have wildly varied with identical situations, so I really don't know who would have what options in the end.

Edit: I did take a 50/50 once on a jboots because the guy was guildless, wary, and new, to put him at ease. I did SS his agreement that the trade was only -half- payment and he confirmed he still owed me the other half afterwards.

Sadiki
04-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Buying MQs is always a risk. People try to log the transactions and all that, but you can't petition a MQ. The seller should get payment in advance, and the buyer should expect to be paying in advance. Not only can the person just steal your money, but if the turn-in fails and it isn't their fault, they are not going to want to refund you.

Although, being in AG I have never had a problem asking for payment up front. I also refunded 100k once when the guy changed his mind. Just use your head and stick to guilds that don't have high turnover on members, if you don't recognize the person ask around.

Samoht
04-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Since staff do not support MQs, I've always feared that buyers would simply tell me to fuck off afterwards, and I'd be SOL trying to get my money out of them because it's "MQ related".

MQs may not themselves be related, but scamming is against the rules. Players cannot just advertise a service and then not provide the service once payment is taken. That would be something where GMs will help.

you can't petition a MQ.

You can't petition the MQ breaking, but you can petition someone for scamming you out of plat.

mickmoranis
04-06-2017, 03:57 PM
MQs may not themselves be related, but scamming is against the rules. Players cannot just advertise a service and then not provide the service once payment is taken. That would be something where GMs will help.

You can't petition the MQ breaking, but you can petition someone for scamming you out of plat.

well it took 6 years but samoht finally didnt say something stupid.

Swish
04-06-2017, 03:58 PM
All trades are final.

indiscriminate_hater
04-06-2017, 04:19 PM
I've always operated under the "Money up front" style.

In the inverse though, If someone handed me 70k and I don't even attempt to provide a service, I think I would be liable for scamming, and the buyer WOULD have recourse.

Good point, and this seems to be SOP for these from the responses so far

NizmerThafen
04-06-2017, 06:32 PM
I recently did a 350kpp MQ and paid afterwards. It's a lot better if both parties are from trusted guilds. I asked for references haha. It worked out quite smoothly and I paid in full the moment it was done.

GinnasP99
04-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Caveat emptor

Rygar
04-07-2017, 07:35 AM
What the hell MQ costs 350k? Only thing I can think of is Doze tears. Unless you talking multiple pieces of SS armor to a single toon, but even that is pushing it.

Rygar
04-07-2017, 07:36 AM
But yes, if you talking protocol, I've always paid afterwards and have always been paid afterwards when I offer the MQ.

On big ticket items I'd say well known guild a must and check post history on the forums.

Evia
04-07-2017, 09:42 AM
What the hell MQ costs 350k? Only thing I can think of is Doze tears. Unless you talking multiple pieces of SS armor to a single toon, but even that is pushing it.

Maybe bard or wizard epic?

Mygicmeen
04-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Asking price for the Staff of Elemental Mastery: Earth, is like 400-500k. (400 is kinda low...)

Single most expensive item in the game besides like a prenerf fungi staff.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense =(

Edit. Also someone just told me they sold the entire SK epic for 350k. Bet thats it.

Fasttimes
04-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Asking price for the Staff of Elemental Mastery: Earth, is like 400-500k. (400 is kinda low...)

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense =(

aow pants, barb mask, white dragonscale helm

Samoht
04-07-2017, 01:28 PM

Single most expensive item besides the dozen or so items ahead of it.

Mygicmeen
04-07-2017, 01:30 PM
::shrug:: Okay, single most expensive item that anyone I have ever talked to could point out. But you guys do make me feel better making me aware there are other items out there worth more. (half way to a mage epic :( )

Ashintar
04-07-2017, 01:31 PM
I always ask for payment up front, maybe that's just me though.

Tankdan
04-07-2017, 01:38 PM
those other items mentioned arent MQs and involve zero risk.

Mygicmeen
04-07-2017, 01:45 PM
those other items mentioned arent MQs and involve zero risk.

Aye, but I think I said single most expensive item...

Still, makes me nervous to think about handing over 450-500k without having the power of earth or staff in my hand...

Lojik
04-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Both players can stand to lose if MQ doesn't work. Probably fairest way is 1/2 payment up front the rest after if the size warrants it. Obviously still do your homework that the person on the other end of the transaction is trustworthy.