Phenyo
04-17-2017, 03:20 AM
It's comin when hybrid defense skills are fixed

Swish
04-17-2017, 03:29 AM
Teams
Discord
Green

That one of these hasn't appeared could be seen as something to do with a Daybreak agreement we aren't in on.

Or it could be that volunteers are busy with other things and when the hype for "something" is at an all time high they'll drop an announcement that'll have everyone excited.

Dreenk317
04-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Fairly certain that rogeans agreement with daybreak prohibits any new servers. Not positive though. And look at the numbers, for all intents and purposes, red is dead. Why push your manpower even further for yet another pvp server when it's fairly clear tha community doesn't care. Teams would be cool imo, but ya.

loramin
04-17-2017, 12:09 PM
And look at the numbers, for all intents and purposes, red is dead. Why push your manpower even further for yet another pvp server when it's fairly clear tha community doesn't care.

Someone here has a quote from Nilbog in their signature that basically says "I don't care how many people I drive off the server with my unpopular classic fixes, I'm still going to keep making them."

I think that's your answer right there. I think having lots of people use their servers is only a secondary concern of the devs. Their main goal is just to reproduce classic EverQuest as closely as possible, and classic EQ had a red server (well, multiple) so they want one too.

Or at least that's the only reason I can see for putting so much effort in to something most people crap on.

Spyder73
04-18-2017, 11:25 AM
I would guess Daybreak did not want to shut P99 down because that would just enrage the community against them, but 'no more servers or we shut it down' seems likely.

I'm sure Daybreak see's 1500 people logged into P99 and thinks to themselves - "Hrrmm, that's almost $200,000 in yearly profit if we could convert that population into $10 per month subscribers...."

I have not played actual "live" EQ in a very long time but I can't imagine its doing well. The TLPs seem to be where the profits for them are and P99 can be seen as competition for that.

Lhancelot
04-18-2017, 11:40 AM
If so can you link me thread?

Soon™

NachtMystium
04-18-2017, 11:43 AM
I would guess Daybreak did not want to shut P99 down because that would just enrage the community against them, but 'no more servers or we shut it down' seems likely.

I'm sure Daybreak see's 1500 people logged into P99 and thinks to themselves - "Hrrmm, that's almost $200,000 in yearly profit if we could convert that population into $10 per month subscribers...."

I have not played actual "live" EQ in a very long time but I can't imagine its doing well. The TLPs seem to be where the profits for them are and P99 can be seen as competition for that.

What always was a deal-breaker for me for any of those live TLP servers is the little things. Non-classic old world zones, probably new skellys, all the other little changes that added up to be big changes altogether. What truly boggles my mind is how does a volunteer program like Project 1999 re-create classic EQ NEAR perfectly down to all those little things, and the actual devs such as daybreak can't do this?

Tbh I'd at least attempt to play on a daybreak server if it had the purity of a project 1999 server. New Freeport and new ro/oasis/commonlands trigger me so hard

Phenyo
04-18-2017, 12:17 PM
What always was a deal-breaker for me for any of those live TLP servers is the little things. Non-classic old world zones, probably new skellys, all the other little changes that added up to be big changes altogether. What truly boggles my mind is how does a volunteer program like Project 1999 re-create classic EQ NEAR perfectly down to all those little things, and the actual devs such as daybreak can't do this?

Tbh I'd at least attempt to play on a daybreak server if it had the purity of a project 1999 server. New Freeport and new ro/oasis/commonlands trigger me so hard

P99 is or was a passion project, the culmination of thousands of hours work by a group of people that wanted to recreate classic EQ as closely as possible. Daybreak doesn't care enough, they see the concept as potential profit. It's a very different thing.

Lhancelot
04-18-2017, 02:23 PM
P99 is or was a passion project, the culmination of thousands of hours work by a group of people that wanted to recreate classic EQ as closely as possible. Daybreak doesn't care enough, they see the concept as potential profit. It's a very different thing.

Exactly, the amount of detail and care put into p99 is obvious.

Also, I have to wonder if perhaps we are the small percentage that like EQ1 this way?

Perhaps we are the odd ones?

I have to admit, I have trouble playing on Phinny for many small details.. like the weapons graphics I have to endure. Like the skellies altered as mentioned above, etc.

I hate the shiny looks and "improved" graphic changes on Phinny.

mickmoranis
04-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Yea Its going to go live on December 2016, not long now!

Spyder73
04-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Also, I have to wonder if perhaps we are the small percentage that like EQ1 this way?

Perhaps we are the odd ones?

There is absolutely no question that we are the weird ones. Most people like progression and progress in their games, yet we the P99 purist yearn for perma frost. The very things that make P99 cool (unforgivingness, need for guild/others, old graphics) are the very same thing that would make a pay to play server collapse, its a paradox that I don't fully understand.

The casual screams and cries about the raid scene on P99 but if they had even 1/2 the gear they think they want they would never log in. Yet the neckbeard never leaves because it's now a status symbol like it was back in 1999. EQ is really at its finest when casuals are crying and the elite are collecting unemployment and neckbearding - its what made EQ great in the first place. This type of sh!t only fly's these days when its free to play

Lhancelot
04-18-2017, 07:14 PM
There is absolutely no question that we are the weird ones. Most people like progression and progress in their games, yet we the P99 purist yearn for perma frost. The very things that make P99 cool (unforgivingness, need for guild/others, old graphics) are the very same thing that would make a pay to play server collapse, its a paradox that I don't fully understand.

The casual screams and cries about the raid scene on P99 but if they had even 1/2 the gear they think they want they would never log in. Yet the neckbeard never leaves because it's now a status symbol like it was back in 1999. EQ is really at its finest when casuals are crying and the elite are collecting unemployment and neckbearding - its what made EQ great in the first place. This type of sh!t only fly's these days when its free to play

Interesting perspective. Actually sounds logical too.

Sk00ba5t3v3
04-20-2017, 12:27 AM
Don't need to make a new server. Just wipe Red and make some new rules.

Mistle
04-20-2017, 01:28 AM
There's still people who think another server is still going to come?

You have to let go of the delusion some time, people. There will never be another p99 server.

Jimjam
04-20-2017, 03:30 AM

It is an amateur project. Amateur means for the love of it.

Mygicmeen
04-20-2017, 03:39 AM
Don't need to make a new server. Just wipe Red and make some new rules.

^^^

Wipe red. Make new rule set. Progress through last Velious patch. Offer transfers to blue. Rinse and repeat with new rules.

fan D
04-20-2017, 03:50 AM
teams is already live

its called red99

join a top guild

team v team pvp over tov everyday

mickmoranis
04-20-2017, 02:26 PM
funny cus its true... there is nothing different between teams and red99 other than teams would have more than 9 players

Sk00ba5t3v3
04-21-2017, 10:13 AM
funny cus its true... there is nothing different between teams and red99 other than teams would have more than 9 players
We have 150+ the other day. Come on now

Trollhide
04-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Their main goal is just to reproduce classic EverQuest as closely as possible
Empirical evidence suggests this is untrue, there are a good number of non-classic discretionary changes that have been made.

I'm really looking forward to Agnarr, cause if I'm going to be playing non-classic "classic" anyway, I'd like it to not take the better part of a year to reach max level.

NachtMystium
04-23-2017, 09:59 PM
Empirical evidence suggests this is untrue, there are a good number of non-classic discretionary changes that have been made.

I'm really looking forward to Agnarr, cause if I'm going to be playing non-classic "classic" anyway, I'd like it to not take the better part of a year to reach max level.

i dont know how you people deal with the gross "re-vamped" classic zones though, among other things

loramin
04-24-2017, 12:07 PM

And for every non-classic change they make a thousand classic ones. Rogean, Nilbog, and the rest have consistently said on this forum (since long before I got here) that their one and only goal is to re-create Everquest as it was in '99, and they have spent a HUGE amounts of time and effort on things (classic research, bug fixes, making the expansions/patches easily play-back-able, etc.) that would only matter if that was their goal.

Are the OOT boats not classic? Yes, due to programming limits ... but how many zones are classic? Does Red have some not-classic changes? Yes, but A) it's a combination of the three Zeks, B) classic PvP was a mess. Are the ZEMs not-classic? Yes, but people on live didn't know the ZEMs so not knowing them here is classic(-ish).

Every not-classic change has logic behind it, and everything else is as classic as they can possibly make it.

To each their own; I'm considering it too. But empirically speaking if you compare P99 and Agnarr, P99 will have less than a tenth of the un-classic things Agnarr will have. For instance, OOT may be not-classic here, but on Agnarr every city zone (and many others) have been poorly re-made. The Agnarr ZEMs (and XP rate in general) is definitely not classic, and Agnarr PvP ... won't even exist (very un-classic).

Play Agnarr if you want live EQ with a lot less expansions. Play P99 if you want the closest experience possible to '99-'01 without a time machine.