PDA

View Full Version : Returning player, looking for ideas on how to get some plat

Cribanox
04-01-2017, 02:48 PM
So I'm naked on my characters ( I'm not looking for handouts ), and I'm looking for ideas on how to get some plat to RE gear myself. I have a 40 bard, 35nec, 21shm. I'm wanting to play the nec and I can handle blues but it's a struggle with so little mana. I'm not really powerful enough to camp HGs or HHK guards. Any ideas on something that's easy and consistent? I don't need to earn like 1K an hour or anything, just need something that will net like 1K over like the course of a day or something. I know a lot of INT gear is cheap.

Izmael
04-01-2017, 03:03 PM
If you are into swarming on your bard, sell PL.

Cribanox
04-01-2017, 03:04 PM
If you are into swarming on your bard, sell PL.

Thanks for the suggestion but im not exactly familiar with how I can PL doing that. Whats the process? I am familiar with swarming though.

Tupakk
04-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Make a Druid and join our ranks. Even at 29 you can net what you are looking for and it's fear free money.

Ravager
04-01-2017, 03:08 PM
If your necro is a dark elf, you can do the Reaper of the Dead quest a couple of times and make 1k, or if your bard has a DE mask, he could probably do it with a faction song. Shralok Packs are an easy camp. Shiny Brass Idol is easy, worth 500-750 plat. You can farm the skins required for Leatherfoot Raider Skullcaps, then either farm or buy dragoon dirks and sell each cap for 400 plat. Those are a few low level things that I can think of that don't take a ton of time and give you decent return.

Cribanox
04-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Make a Druid and join our ranks. Even at 29 you can net what you are looking for and it's fear free money.

That is something to consider but I'm trying not to level a new character right now (only because Ive done that 40 bajillion times in my EQ life, trying to move forward with a higher level character now instead).

Cribanox
04-01-2017, 03:11 PM
If your necro is a dark elf, you can do the Reaper of the Dead quest a couple of times and make 1k, or if your bard has a DE mask, he could probably do it with a faction song. Shralok Packs are an easy camp. Shiny Brass Idol is easy, worth 500-750 plat. You can farm the skins required for Leatherfoot Raider Skullcaps, then either farm or buy dragoon dirks and sell each cap for 400 plat. Those are a few low level things that I can think of that don't take a ton of time and give you decent return.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately necro is Erudite and bard doesn't have the mask. Either way, I'm trying to find ways of making plat without having to camp specific items (for example I'm pretty down at this point just to farm orcs in oaisis for leather armor and shit)

Izmael
04-01-2017, 03:12 PM
At lvl 40 you can simply group with the PLee and let them leach exp.

You can sell it a pretty penny since it doesn't require the PLee to do anything at all, they can even be afk. Some people value their time highly.

Cribanox
04-01-2017, 03:13 PM
At lvl 40 you can simply group with the PLee and let them leach exp.

You can sell it a pretty penny since it doesn't require the PLee to do anything at all, they can even be afk. Some people value their time highly.

Oh so this only works for PLing people around my level?

Tupakk
04-01-2017, 03:14 PM
That is something to consider but I'm trying not to level a new character right now (only because Ive done that 40 bajillion times in my EQ life, trying to move forward with a higher level character now instead).

Make a friend of a Druid. Ask him if you can port with it. There are a lot of people who literally just keep a Druid on the side for that quick cash.

Izmael
04-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Oh so this only works for PLing people around my level?

At level 40 you can do it with people who are levels 27 to 60 although probably most effective for people up to level 45ish.

Bards can PL any levels but since you need exp yourself, might as well make money leveling.

Ravager
04-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately necro is Erudite and bard doesn't have the mask. Either way, I'm trying to find ways of making plat without having to camp specific items (for example I'm pretty down at this point just to farm orcs in oaisis for leather armor and shit)
Well Hill Giants/Sand Giants will be best for pure plat, but you said you are having a tough time with them. The next best mobs I can suggest for pure plat would be gargoyles or mammoths, but it will be quite slow compared to doing the camps I suggested.

Shodo
04-01-2017, 11:13 PM
For erudite necro you could try paineel guards - no faction hits and drop ~10p each, range in levels from 15 to higher (not sure how high). Could probably make 1-2k in a few sessions there. Halfling guards should also be doable for about the same cash per kill, but less convenient for vendoring.

Lhancelot
04-02-2017, 12:02 AM
So I'm naked on my characters ( I'm not looking for handouts ), and I'm looking for ideas on how to get some plat to RE gear myself. I have a 40 bard, 35nec, 21shm. I'm wanting to play the nec and I can handle blues but it's a struggle with so little mana. I'm not really powerful enough to camp HGs or HHK guards. Any ideas on something that's easy and consistent? I don't need to earn like 1K an hour or anything, just need something that will net like 1K over like the course of a day or something. I know a lot of INT gear is cheap.

A really easy quest you could farm for XP and plat is the lightstone quest. With your pet alone, you need zero gears, just mow the wisps down. You could sell the stones to players, or take the stones to NK, to the gypsy camp and hand the stones in for XP, then sell the books the gypsy gives you. The greater lightstones are rewarded with a book that sells for 10pp each.

It wouldn't take long for you to get decent platinum for some cheaper high int, high mana items. Cone of the Mystics is 200pp, and so is stein of moggok, both very nice for a necro. Also, look for a tome of miragul, 200-250pp which being non-iksar you actually can wield. Any two of these three items would grant you substantial mana improvements.

Once you build your mana up a bit, MT halfling guards are great XP as others have suggested, or you could go to Iceclad and XP on ice cougars. The ice cougars give decent XP, and also rarely drop Cougar Claw Earrings which sell for 200pp each.

loramin
04-02-2017, 12:19 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Treasure_Hunting_Guide

Lots of ideas there.

rollin5k
04-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Could farm Oasis Crocs for gator meat and make Beer Braised Gator (https://wiki.project1999.com/Baking")

Sell it to the rich and famous EverQuest players in the east commons tunnel. Should be able to make a few platinum for that.

Nisse
04-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Necro is not a gear dependent character, at 35 you could literally function adequately in any group naked. Trying to farm plat with a mid level character is always a mistake, get into the mid 50s and you will generate a lot more plat just in your day to day playing, than what you might have gotten for a shitload of effort at 40.

Cribanox
04-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Necro is not a gear dependent character, at 35 you could literally function adequately in any group naked. Trying to farm plat with a mid level character is always a mistake, get into the mid 50s and you will generate a lot more plat just in your day to day playing, than what you might have gotten for a shitload of effort at 40.

I think that this is the advice I'm taking. I had tried to take my naked necro to wisp island but it just took so damn long to get there and it took way to long to gather GLS's . The most I can walk away with is like seven 8-slot bags of GLS's (7*8) and thats just not a lot of money for my time, because then I have to find a way to NK and ugh.

I am just soloing and getting coin / merchant-trash. I'll try HG's or something at a higher level.

indiscriminate_hater
04-04-2017, 01:06 PM
if you're going to farm GLS just stay in NK, there are a bunch around that tower thing in the middle of the zone

Cribanox
04-04-2017, 01:11 PM
if you're going to farm GLS just stay in NK, there are a bunch around that tower thing in the middle of the zone

Not a bad idea, I like how wisp island is very small and I dont have to go far at all to find the next wisp. in NK I know I can kinda burn through the wisps around me, then im on the hunt blindly.

Xap
04-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Kill Halfling guards in Misty Thicket.

10pp spear per drop (ground transfer them to a lvl 1 halfling warrior you make with max STR). Guards range from 31-38 and are fantastic XP while you make some coin.

Cribanox
04-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Kill Halfling guards in Misty Thicket.

10pp spear per drop (ground transfer them to a lvl 1 halfling warrior you make with max STR). Guards range from 31-38 and are fantastic XP while you make some coin.
I wouldn't do this because, at least in the past, this spot is very contested

Xap
04-04-2017, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't do this because, at least in the past, this spot is very contested

Well I mean, if you want ideas to make plat you are definitely going to run into other players. There arn't really any secret plat making spots in that level range.

The guards are not hugely contested, you can almost always get yourself at least a single spawn (6min respawn timer). 10 plat every 6mins isn't bad at all

Cylock
04-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Leveling/Plat Guide (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269654)

Its geared towards red99, but you can use for blue as well

I hope this helps! :)

Tuurin
04-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Well I mean, if you want ideas to make plat you are definitely going to run into other players. There arn't really any secret plat making spots in that level range.

The guards are not hugely contested, you can almost always get yourself at least a single spawn (6min respawn timer). 10 plat every 6mins isn't bad at all

AKA lawyerquest yourself to riches! Name of the game on this nearly 20 yr old freeware emu.

Xap
04-04-2017, 02:28 PM
AKA lawyerquest yourself to riches! Name of the game on this nearly 20 yr old freeware emu.

What?

I mean usually the outside wall isn't as contested, and theres single spawns there that are mostly untouched.

Cribanox
04-04-2017, 02:41 PM

I think part of what I was saying was that I didn't want things that would be contested (like farming a specific item), this is very close to that. That's all.

TheFaceless
04-04-2017, 02:55 PM
North Karana is nice. Can kill all the low level animals (bears/lions/wolves/etc.) for HQ skins to sell, or the lower quality ones to use to make leather padding (bring a bunch of silk thread which saves space - padding is stackable). Can get HQ lion skins very rarely from highland lions which look to be going for 200-250 plat a piece nowadays. You can keep the grizzly bear skins for leatherfoot raider skullcaps (10ish pp a piece), but imo they were too difficult to sell and just took up too much space. Maybe if you had an alt to transfer them to in zone you could keep them. The willowisps for the greater lightstones (10pp + xp) and lightstones (sell for around 1pp) are everywhere! You can turn them in right in the zone to a npc, who also happens to be a vendor that anyone can use. The griffawns drop griffon feathers. Beetles are the only worthless spawn unless they take over all the spawn (not sure how the spawn table works there).

It's even better if you can take hill giants/grimfeather/griffons and get some xp and extra loot. There are two hill giant spawns, and it's a huge zone, but you'll run into them running around the zone. If there is a high level tracker in the zone (ranger/druid) they maybe killing them though, and you'll have very little shot at them. There are also some named mobs that will spawn. Timber the Tiny (a mini lvl 20ish HG) can drop a 200+pp caster belt, and some other 10-15 lvl ones that drop stuff that sell for a few pp to vendors (or you can sell for 25pp if you're patient or give to noobs). Having a SOW is nice and on the pet too, but can be unnecessary as there are so many mobs to kill.

rollin5k
04-04-2017, 03:55 PM
7 bags of gls isn't enough?? What exactly do you need to buy, this game is easy as dickens. You dont need anything to win, you don't even get to win.... Ever

Cribanox
04-04-2017, 03:56 PM
7 bags of gls isn't enough?? What exactly do you need to buy, this game is easy as dickens. You dont need anything to win, you don't even get to win.... Ever

bruh like 7 * 8 * 11~pp is only 600p~ . Whatchu gun buy with that after hours of farming wisps and going back and forth to ec/nk/eruds/whatever

Jimjam
04-04-2017, 04:10 PM
As a necromancer, I guess spells, bone chips, food and drink? Plus a few sow potions perhaps?

Cribanox
04-04-2017, 04:19 PM
As a necromancer, I guess spells, bone chips, food and drink? Plus a few sow potions perhaps?

I need gear dude

loramin
04-04-2017, 05:01 PM
I need gear dude

Why?

Seriously, I've leveled a druid to 39 just fine virtually nekid save for his Goblin Ghazughi Ring. And my level 60 shaman? Still wearing multiple ringmail pieces (see Magelo below).

Melees need gear, casters just need mana (and key class-specific items like that ring or the JBB).

Cult
04-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Buy some 5/55s, quest a harvester for fashion, cast call of bones to conceal your genitalia

You are now a Necromancer

Jimjam
04-04-2017, 05:11 PM
I need gear dude

Are you tanking a lot, or do you not have enough mana to last fights?

Phatez
04-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Guards.

Cribanox
04-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Are you tanking a lot, or do you not have enough mana to last fights?

It's a mix of not enough HP or Mana, I can easily run out of mana, and if I get resisted 2+ times I usually have to FD or die. I love having call of bones up but if I cant continuously kill stuff I usually start most fights at 50%~ HP which can be dangerous.

Mahoot
04-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Dude, all of these people are giving you reeeally solid ideas and you're shooting them all down with lame excuses. I get that some of these ideas don't fit into your particular play style or are not quite up to par with the value you put on your own time, but it sounds like you need to relax your standards and do what's available to you. Your highest toon is lvl 40. These are the options available to you at that level. Take them or leave them.

Stuff takes time in classic Everquest. There is no get rich quick scheme. Except for the occasional lucky jackass and the folks who RMT, most of the people who have a lot of plat had to work really damn hard to get there.

Grind out some wisps, either on wisp isle and then run or get a port to NK, or just stay in NK (sounds like it's sixes either way you swing it) until you have enough to buy those (cheap but good) items listed above, then maybe you will have enough mana to start doing some of the harder stuff.

Or go do Misty Thicket guards. Maybe there will be other folks camping them (MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online for a reason), just ask if you can share the spawns (You take these, I'll take those). It is 100% not the same as camping some item because each guard you kill gives you a set amount of plat and that adds up.

Also, if you're running out of mana/hp before a mob dies in a fight then you have three options: Adjust your strategy, find a partner or a group, or go fight weaker mobs. There is no way around that, no matter what your excuse is. Gear will help a little, but it is not the magic bullet that will solve all your problems.

I genuinely hope you can find a strategy that works for you, because this is a game and it needs to be enjoyable for you.

Good luck out there!

-Mahoot

Xap
04-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Dude, all of these people are giving you reeeally solid ideas and you're shooting them all down with lame excuses. I get that some of these ideas don't fit into your particular play style or are not quite up to par with the value you put on your own time, but it sounds like you need to relax your standards and do what's available to you. Your highest toon is lvl 40. These are the options available to you at that level. Take them or leave them.

Stuff takes time in classic Everquest. There is no get rich quick scheme. Except for the occasional lucky jackass and the folks who RMT, most of the people who have a lot of plat had to work really damn hard to get there.

Grind out some wisps, either on wisp isle and then run or get a port to NK, or just stay in NK (sounds like it's sixes either way you swing it) until you have enough to buy those (cheap but good) items listed above, then maybe you will have enough mana to start doing some of the harder stuff.

Or go do Misty Thicket guards. Maybe there will be other folks camping them (MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online for a reason), just ask if you can share the spawns (You take these, I'll take those). It is 100% not the same as camping some item because each guard you kill gives you a set amount of plat and that adds up.

Also, if you're running out of mana/hp before a mob dies in a fight then you have three options: Adjust your strategy, find a partner or a group, or go fight weaker mobs. There is no way around that, no matter what your excuse is. Gear will help a little, but it is not the magic bullet that will solve all your problems.

I genuinely hope you can find a strategy that works for you, because this is a game and it needs to be enjoyable for you.

Good luck out there!

-Mahoot

Couldn't agree more with everything Mahoot said.

If you want to farm plat at that level, you need to understand that the hot spots are going to be contested.

skipdog
04-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Spend your time leveling and more plat making options will open up to you. Won't take long and you'll be able to kill seafuries all day all night.

Canelek
04-05-2017, 12:59 PM
I think you fine folks are getting trolled.

KEWLGET
04-05-2017, 03:05 PM
i would sell PLs via bard kiting

Cribanox
04-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Good luck out there!

-Mahoot

Thank you, but I want to point out that I haven't shut them all down and I've already said which piece of advice I'm going to take. I would also like to clarify that it's not about getting rich quick or quickness at all it's about consistency and being able to play for maybe an hour or two and not have to worry about running all over the world or possibly even a camp being taken and then not having anything else to do but go back to another spot. What I was looking for are basically mobs that might drop coin or Merchant trash that I can sell