PDA

View Full Version : New to EQ, playing a gnome wizard!

Bluu
03-31-2017, 10:01 PM
I've always played warriors but I'm giving a gnome wizard a try. Any advice? I've died a lot and things are pricy! Thanks!

Skinned
03-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Good luck lol. Brutal class to level early on.

thebutthat
03-31-2017, 11:35 PM
My first class on live back in 99 was a wizard. I stuck with it for 2 years. Was miserable, until that first time I ice cometed something. Then I loved it.

Skinned
03-31-2017, 11:52 PM
My first class on live back in 99 was a wizard. I stuck with it for 2 years. Was miserable, until that first time I ice cometed something. Then I loved it.

I had the same experience on live. On p99 my wiz is 42. I just took his stuff off and put it on a mage...to try the class.

mgriff02
04-01-2017, 03:20 AM
Standard advice is to keep things like bone chips, spider[ling] silks, and animal pelts (esp high quality bear pelts) to sell to players. That's some of the best newbie money you'll find. If you feel adventurous around level 8 or so take a trip across the sea to East Commonlands and start fighting there. You can get groups at the orc camps, get buffs from friendly traders, and be right in the middle of the market hub of the whole server to sell your wares and look for items to buy or save up for.

Check the wiki about everything. The wiki is your best friend in this whole brutal world.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

And welcome to the game! It starts out on hard mode but eventually it settles into... hard mode with more severe consequences!

Jimjam
04-01-2017, 04:25 AM
North Ro decaying skeletons are a good place to get started. Not too many dangerous mobs nearby, and you can vendor their bags/weapons/armor at the local inn. Make sure to get a bind in the East Freeport zoneline though to keep any corpse run short. A druid can take you from steamfont to north ro to save you the boat ride.

Save bonechips to quest in kaladim or sell to players in EC for spell money. Spare platinum can be saved to pay for jboots later. Most equipment is a marginal upgrade for low level wizards, I wouldn't waste much money on it.

One item I found useful at low levels on my wizard is a Lost Staff of the Scorned. I got one for 20pp. At low levels, before skills start to differentiate casters from melee, this 11/20 weapon is pretty sweet dps. Later on you can use it to cast a free group port to nek forest (great for vendoring and banking in Neriak, or transporting people who are paying for a lift to the commonlands area).

I tore my way through befallen with this staff, then went on to quadding scarabs (they run slow).

Something to do quest-wise is the staff of temperate flux. This item has been great use to me, and if you want to quest j boots it is an invaluable tool for getting first hit in on the ancient cyclops, ensuring kill/loot rights.

Once I was high enough level I went to South Karana to kill gnolls. These were good xp. I saved the scrolls with a rolled up icon to take to a quest npc at my bind point in Qeynos for bonus xp. When the zone was quiet I also farmed myself a Pegasus Feather Cloak for levitate. The scroll quest is actually really good xp until the gnolls green out, so to finish off levelling here I facetanknukespammed the gnolls to ensure I could max out my defensive skills.

After Gnolls (40s) I went to Oasis to kill spectres. In advance of 9pm game time I would visit South Ro to try my luck for the Ancient Cyclops.

My wizard now is generally found hanging out in Ocean of Tears, quadding gargoyles (which were also good xp/cash early 20s), spectres and seafuries or in Cobalt Scar quadding Cobalt Drakes and Wyverns for tradeskill and quest drops.

That's the highlights of the wizard I levelled to 51. I still play him fairly often, but don't focus on XPing him anymore as he already has the capabilities I require from him to play in the way I want him to.

Don't forget, if you want to group respond to /OOC asking for a dps slot, but avoid mentioning your class. Gear yourself to look like a monk and hope that gets you the job!

Scoojitsu
04-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Hope you picked Solusek Ro as your deity so you can equip these great rings:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Imbued_Platinum_Fire_Ring

Good luck! Enjoy the game! :)

Shodo
04-01-2017, 12:25 PM
1. Don't get discouraged by dying a lot early on. Wizard is a class that starts to shine a little later than many.

2. Invest in a Netflix subscription or several books. Because if you end up needing to solo (which is likely), you're going to spend a lot of time AFK between mobs.

3. Don't let people tell you wizards can't get groups. They're definitely shunned by many 50+, but just make some friends in your 20's and 30's and you'll be set to form your own groups.

Expediency
04-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Wiz is hardest class to get groups. At least you can solo some by root/nuke or quadding unlike melee chars but many exp groups do not care for wiz.

Necabo
04-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Know the path of a child of Solusek is quite frustrating and painful; however, the rewards of Solusek's favor are great!

Jimjam
04-02-2017, 03:08 AM
So I've posted some solo tips. Now for grouping!

As a warrior, I'm sure you also know how useful a wizard can be in groups.

They are the perfect class for getting the MA mob rooted (4) early on (for the warrior to tippy toe tank) as they don't have distractions such as slow, mez, etc.

Shock of lightning (16) has great knockback, you can use that for low aggro interrupts or helping reposition mobs. I've used this even in the 50s to interrupt dragon cheals when the melee have messed up their own push. It's surprisingly powerful.

Wizards have a long stun line, which is rarely updated, but can be really useful too. Tishan's Clash is the first at (20), but it doesn't get updated until (49) and (51) where you can more or less stunlock.

Another way to CC, besides off rooting, is to root the MA mob as it comes in then drop your AoE snare (29) on the pack of mobs. Here you can snare kite (or hell, even just quad them down while the group deals with the main mob). You rarely see snare kite in use as CC though.

When in an all caster group, no one might want to sacrifice meditate in order to pull. In these occasions you can use Eye of Zomm (8) to pull. Don't forget you can toggle sit while your one eyed monster is out, and this will let you to med while Zomming around. Also keep in mind sitting will effect how mobs will perceive your eye you are pulling with.

Cylock
04-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Welcome! Gnomes are GREAT!

Muggens
04-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Great posts Jimjam, copied for further referance. Say, how do I find this lvl 16 quadding spell, and what slow scarabs are good to quad at that lvl? Karanas? (Im a Int caster noob)

Cazlo
04-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Great posts Jimjam, copied for further referance. Say, how do I find this lvl 16 quadding spell, and what slow scarabs are good to quad at that lvl? Karanas? (Im a Int caster noob)

The spell Pillar of Fire is created through the research skill by combining a rune of Nagafen and a rune of proximity.

Research spell recipes can be found here.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Research

A good way to find the runes is check every vendor you come across as people usually just sell them as vendor trash.

In order to quad you will need a decent amount of int or you may find yourself running oom before you can finish the mobs off. I can't remember how much you need to get started but I think it might be a little over 100? I'm sure someone can say for sure.

The beetles you're looking for in north Karana are called Borer Beetles. As you gain a couple lvl's you can start adding in scythe beetles.

Issar
04-03-2017, 11:29 AM
You're my boy Bluu!

That's all I got. Welcome to the server!

Muggens
04-13-2017, 10:35 AM
The spell Pillar of Fire is created through the research skill by combining a rune of Nagafen and a rune of proximity.

Research spell recipes can be found here.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Research

A good way to find the runes is check every vendor you come across as people usually just sell them as vendor trash.

In order to quad you will need a decent amount of int or you may find yourself running oom before you can finish the mobs off. I can't remember how much you need to get started but I think it might be a little over 100? I'm sure someone can say for sure.

The beetles you're looking for in north Karana are called Borer Beetles. As you gain a couple lvl's you can start adding in scythe beetles.

Thanks man, Ive been doing this, actually found Pillar of Fire on a vendor. Any other quadding spots at lvl 24?

Cazlo
04-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks man, Ive been doing this, actually found Pillar of Fire on a vendor. Any other quadding spots at lvl 24?

For lvl 24 you could hit up crag spiders in EK. I'D stock up on SoW pots if you don't have jboots since it's kind of out in the boonies. You can probably start quadding aviaks at KFC in SK at this point as well.