PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Bow Killing

Munkh
03-29-2017, 09:36 AM
I am curious for someone who might have more knowledge and/or experience for what I am facing.
My ranger is currently 35 and was wanting/hoping to solo kite bow kill mobs, but it seems that I am seeing very few critical hits. I know or at least think that crits with bow for a ranger are based on Dex. My current Dex is right about 123.

My question is thus. Is it Dex that dictates Bow Crits or if not then which stat. Additionally if it is Dex then at what level(number) does it start to effect so I will see more crits with my bow hits.

The Wandering Ranger.

kgallowaypa
03-29-2017, 09:38 AM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243942

&

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242638

jolanar
03-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Despite the eternal optimism in those threads, it really is an incredibly slow way to get experience. Still useful for taking out the occasional quest or named mob solo that you otherwise wouldn't be able to kill.

xKoopa
03-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Its also worth noting that bow dmg is affected by str instead of dex on p99

Samoht
03-29-2017, 11:44 AM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242638

Man, that thread of assumptions and misinformation. There also appears to be very little proof supporting the claim.

Its also worth noting that bow dmg is affected by str instead of dex on p99

As it should be. STR is what affects bow damage IRL as well as the fantasy games on which EQ is based (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#longbowComposite). DEX in the other games only affects chance to hit. Since EQ does not have a chance to hit stat in the Velious timeline, it's okay with me that they replace it with chance to crit instead (for Rangers and Warriors, anyway) because there is no other crit mechanism available.

Munkh
03-29-2017, 12:00 PM
Great discussion. So STR first and then DEX I am presuming. I also need to look into upgrading my bow as I am still using the Rune Oak Bow and should look into getting the Huntsman Bow.

Munkh
03-29-2017, 01:52 PM
So that brings me to my next question which may have been answered in the other forum links provided but I didn't see it.

What determines hit/miss. Because I sure get a lot of misses.

aaezil
03-29-2017, 03:08 PM
bows suck try a solo class if you like soloing

Munkh
03-29-2017, 03:17 PM

Spoken by someone who's obviously failed at Ranger.

danzig
03-29-2017, 03:19 PM
DEX affects crits, can make a big diff.

On a more general note: Root and shot, baby. Land your dots. Melee em down. Keep root nets, recharge yourself, heal self when needed. You can do this in dungeons if you root mobs in a straight line and target the far one- will let you hit targets that are "too close". Pick old world mobs- lower hp, lower ac, and make high damage arrows if you want.

Bow kiting is for suckers imho

kgallowaypa
03-29-2017, 03:39 PM

Don't anyone tell you what you can or can't do in this game, besides why race to lvl 60 when there is nothing left to do anyhow.

Munkh
03-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Love it! Great remark, Vaedir.

kgallowaypa
03-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Yep, Those links I posted by that user on your OP, she role played only using her bow to kite and kill some impressive targets. Very entertaining read regarding her accomplishments and the guild she started, its a shame the screenshots don't work anymore though :(

MikeXG
03-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Quoting Ivory's lovely post
"At 35 to 40 you may start to feel a bit anxious about finally getting a stronger bow. I understand your feels.....it is something all archers experience at some point.

It is time to do the quest for the Bow of the Huntsman !!

But you will likely need some help....for Vluudeen is no push over!!

Still, I'm sure you are resourceful and will figure a way to get her tail....and then take it to the giants city.

There, past the wolf pit, you will find Gleed ....whom even if you are an enemy, can sneak behind and turn in the tail for your bow! ((Though there are some see invis guards before him...so....find a monk to distract them, or get a little bit of giant faction so they are dubious).

Bow of the Huntsman - 20/30 - Range 180 (proc spirit strike, an 81 DD)

After that, it is up to you!! The huntsmans bow will take you to 50 and beyond! But never stop searching for a better bow! Adventure to the furthest reaches of Norrath! "

As someone who is not a part of a guild and doesn't have a character or resources capable of killing valuedeen, how easy is it to get loot rights to the tail?/how much would it cost me?

danzig
03-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Vludeens an easy piece of tail. Hint: it involves a friendly rogue and like 20 snares.

MikeXG
03-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Vludeens an easy piece of tail. Hint: it involves a friendly rogue and like 20 snares.

Glad to hear it, I still think I am a ways away from looking for the friendly rogue. What level should I try to finagle the tail?

danzig
03-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Could do it whenever I think. If you're too low to land a snare, a high level Druid friend (or a grizzled dial a port mercenary) to land an Ensnare, and Flame Lick to grab agro while a rogue backstabs. Run in circles until dead.

skarlorn
03-29-2017, 06:57 PM
The best way to "bow kill" with a ranger is to use the bow as a hybrid damage source. The key to this strategy is fighting monsters who flee at 20%.

Instead of trying to whittle down 80% with bow damage (very slow and LOTS of arrows), you can try this...

Hit the enemy with your biggest DoT, then snare, then haul ass and plink away. You can even spin, shoot, nuke, shoot, and run - maximizing DPS around your paltry nukes.

Even taking your opponent to 70% with this strategy gives you a huge advantage, because suddenly you only have to take them down another 50% in melee combat before they start running. This cuts your loss of hp per fight in half, meaning less downtime!

I leveled like this quite a lot in Karanas :)

fadetree
03-30-2017, 09:26 AM
I have used bow kiting to kill a number of higher level mobs. If it snares and roots and doesn't summon, I can kill it.....eventually. I have a tolans bracer (summon arrows clicky) and a wrapped velium bow, good haste and a fleeting quiver. My dex kind of sucks but I use pots or buffs to bring that up. I keep a couple dots up, immolate and stinging swarm from the tolans arms. It works, but is really, really slow. Better arrows would help, but they get to be expensive in the quantities bow kiting takes. Personally, I would never try to exp with only bow kiting, it's just sad. But, as mentioned above, it can help speed up the eventual melee kill, plus you can regen some while bow kiting.

Ivory
03-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Must....defend....archery!!

Archery is amazins! Don't let people tell you it is bad or slow exp!!!

At 40-50 it can slow down (if you don't have a good bow). But if you manage to land a skydarkener or something, then you will be soloing faster than most classes.

Sub 40 you solo DEFINITELY faster than most people. I remember I was outpacing a necromancer around level 30 on the firiona vie cliffs easily.

Just make sure you get a decent enough bow AND USE SPELLS (medding between shots).

The people who say it is painfully slow haven't really tried it with a decent focus on archery (velium swiftblade, quiver, basic arrows from merchant are fine, and a good bow).

I used a trueshot bow WAY longer than I should have and still was rocking it! With a huntsmans bow earlier (very easy to get with some random wanderbys help) I woulda been the archer supreme. Or if you can spend 1k for a velium bow, ohhhhh that is bananas good. (roughly 30/40 stats, even the lowest quality velium bow is a beast)

If you get a skydarkener at 40+ though....oh....then you will understand the true power of archery. You will never be seen again as you run across the lands killin everything (4 at a time) till things slow down again at 56ish (though, even then, I just got tired of grinding....with the skydarkener I could easily quad kite more for EXP at the armor spawns in wakening lands or the othmirs in cobalt scar).

Again, don't let these people tell you it is bad! They tried to tell me that....but I didn't listen...and now I know the great power of archery!

Lojik
03-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Archery is good if you have a sick bow until like level 15.

Also, does dex actually increase crit hits for rangers (or warriors for that matter?) Has anyone ever tested it, and does an increase in dex make any sizable difference ?

MikeXG
03-30-2017, 11:05 AM
I think, as with most things in this game, gear makes a big difference. A warrior with shit gear is not gonna hold hate, do damage, or tank well. Seems like there have been a few people to invest in getting great gear that supports archery, and if you can do this then archery is solid. My goal is to try and get the huntsman bow once im 30/35 and eventually try and buy loot rigts to a skydarkener

skarlorn
03-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Ivory showed me the secrets of archery and i was PLing a group with a level 5 warrior.

it's the real shabang

"Also, does dex actually increase crit hits for rangers (or warriors for that matter?) Has anyone ever tested it, and does an increase in dex make any sizable difference ?"

I noticed an increase in crit rate with boosted dex

MikeXG
03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
How hard is it to obtain a skydarkeners loot rights?

Jimjam
03-30-2017, 03:03 PM
How hard is it to obtain a skydarkeners loot rights?

It is the next trend after grouping necromancers!

aaezil
03-31-2017, 12:19 PM

Why take 5 minutes killing a single mob when i can kill 4 at a quarter of the time :D

Sounds like someone who's obviously failed at solo XP.

thebutthat
03-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Sub 40 you solo DEFINITELY faster than most people. I remember I was outpacing a necromancer around level 30 on the firiona vie cliffs easily.

No you didn't.

Ikon
04-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Quoting Ivory's lovely post
"At 35 to 40 you may start to feel a bit anxious about finally getting a stronger bow. I understand your feels.....it is something all archers experience at some point.

It is time to do the quest for the Bow of the Huntsman !!

But you will likely need some help....for Vluudeen is no push over!!

Still, I'm sure you are resourceful and will figure a way to get her tail....and then take it to the giants city.

There, past the wolf pit, you will find Gleed ....whom even if you are an enemy, can sneak behind and turn in the tail for your bow! ((Though there are some see invis guards before him...so....find a monk to distract them, or get a little bit of giant faction so they are dubious).

Bow of the Huntsman - 20/30 - Range 180 (proc spirit strike, an 81 DD)

After that, it is up to you!! The huntsmans bow will take you to 50 and beyond! But never stop searching for a better bow! Adventure to the furthest reaches of Norrath! "

As someone who is not a part of a guild and doesn't have a character or resources capable of killing valuedeen, how easy is it to get loot rights to the tail?/how much would it cost me?
If you don't want to quest a bow you can camp Hadden something like wrapped velium bow 4kish. I camped him for a week and got 5 earrings. Ended up getting a 15k bow 31/38 I think. Permacampers suck but you'll get a spot in low pop times then keep your timer till you have enough.

sedrie.bellamie
04-03-2017, 08:31 PM
I use a belt of the pine (16% haste), dark cloak of the sky (50%) haste, I have a fleeting quiver (60% bow haste) [not sure if this is working or not], and use the bow from seb, the Wind Saber (13/22). I use the Tolan's Bracer to summon like 2 bags of arrows and pretty much machine gun down mobs. Seems easier to just use a DS and my OP Swarmcaller/Runed Blade combo.

But correct if I need to kill a mob with out losing HP; snare or root it and fill it full of arrows is the way to go.

WolfsongReborn
04-03-2017, 10:27 PM
I've noticed my ranger at 52 does piss poor dmg with bows, and seems to miss a TON in melee with max skills. Dunno if that's a p99 thing or what.

fadetree
04-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Fleeting quiver is 20% haste....quiver haste is weight reduction/3.
WolfsongReborn, your experience is the common one. If you are geared like sedrie above, then yeah of course you'll 'mow things down'.
Get a fleeting quiver (you can do it yourself except for the thickened mana and maybe the tailoring combine). Get your dex up. Get decent item haste. Get a good bow, one of the velium ones is pretty good and not too expensive. Make or buy or click bracer for a shit ton of arrows. Then, if you like killing dblues in about 15 minutes each (stuff when you are 52), go for it. When you hit Trueshot, you can do some decent damage, but otherwise it's pretty slow.

Ocelo
04-05-2017, 03:21 PM
I can speak from experience, I'm also in Ivory's guild <Archer's Vow>.

Bow-soloing is actually pretty easy and also a very safe and consistent way to grind xp as a Ranger. It is "slow" in the sense that it takes a while to drop a mob with arrows and dots while it's rooted, but it's also pretty safe. That means it's also possible to take down large monsters that would normally wreck a ranger in melee. Think Hill Giants and large stuff in the high 30's. I bow-soloed Hill Giants for xp and cash in the Karanas during the 30's and 40's and it worked out reasonably well with a decent profit turned in the process. That extra cash allowed me to buy better weapons, bows and armor. There is a fletcher in East Karana, so that helped me keep my arrows stocked up while hunting. That is key, since without the Tolan's Darkwood Bracer, arrows dry up quickly while bow-soloing.

Now that my ranger is 51, I've bow-soloed in the Dreadlands and Emerald Jungle with the Tolan's Darkwood Bracer for arrows. I'm currently using the Bow of the Huntsman, Hangman's Noose and Fleeting Quiver. I also posess Raincaller and a Velium Recurve Bow. It's debatable if the Velium Bow is better DPS than the Bow of the Huntsman because of the Proc (which Dex helps with). Again, this is a reasonably safe way to solo and grind xp, but it's not "quick". Think of your bow as another DoT spell.

I have high STR and high DEX and that seems to help both with hits and with crits. I'm not sure the damage is increased by either stat unless you count an increase in overall effectiveness and crit damage an increase.

Halfdane - 51 Ranger of <Archer's Vow>

fadetree
04-05-2017, 04:03 PM
Yeah, thinking of it as a 'DoT' is a good analogy. It works, just kinda slow, and you need decent gear.

Ivory
04-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Each mob dies a little slower than if you were meleeing....BUT you are able to rely more on spells (since you can meditate between shots) and have no downtime (letting you keep hunting). Rangers get a lot of pretty good DD spells to use as they level (along with their dots)....most rangers in melee don't bother using them, but a soloing archer has PLENTY of mana to throw them around and the damage stacks up fast along with the constant plink of arrows.

That is what makes archery outshine other soloing classes. That is why a ranger with a skydarkener can out-quad a wizard or druid (or out-single kill a necromancer). In a race for a single mob, yea those other classes win.....but when leveling up over an hour, a ranger with a good bow wins.

But since you rely SO MUCH on your bow and there are so few good ones (a wind saber isn't a good bow btw , way too fast to let you cast / med between shots ....just eats your arrows)....it can mean the world between having something like a huntsmans bow and having a skydarkener at level 45.

Huntsman bow between 40-50 isn't anything that special. 20/30 stats (its ok) is still worse than a 30/38 velium bow since it isn't proccing yet. A skydarkener or windstriker though is WAY better because of the procs (really, I can't stress the power of bow procs enough. I've gotten 5 procs in a row on my skydarkener....that is close to 1k damage to each mob in a quad kite :P).

The difference in proc rates between 100 dex and 200 dex is double the proc rate. Even with a frequent 81dd from the huntsmans bow, it can be really decent.