PDA

View Full Version : New to Everquest Altogether

Skipper
03-26-2017, 03:45 PM
I never played any version of Everquest before, and for the heck of it, I decided to start with Project 1999. First off, is that a good choice? I've seen a lot about how this was the golden age of the games life. Secondly, are there any general tips or recommendations for someone like me? Thanks for any help you can give ^w^

jackd104
03-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Yes good choice! Eq is a challenge. P99 wiki is a great resource. And ask players in game for help. The community is very supportive.

Jack

kelsoider
03-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Excellent choice. Beware though; the learning curve can be sharp for the uninitiated.
If you have no preference; I would recommend starting as a magician as a first class. Can level and make platinum relatively easily; while also not relying on equipment at all basically. They are also very strong solo(in the right areas) and in groups. If you do go magician, you will need to get at least the focus item for fire. The quest is not unreasonably difficult however.
If you decide that magician isn't your thing, a necromancer, druid, or cleric might be another good option. Each class has its strengths and weaknesses; but as a first character it is preferable(in my opinion at least)to create and level a non-melee class that has strong solo and platinum making ability; while also being (mostly) desired in groups. Behold the magician.

The following guide breaks it down further-

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

How far down the rabbit hole do you wish to go?

Skipper
03-26-2017, 10:16 PM
How far down the rabbit hole do you wish to go?

I'm not quite sure yet, though I might try to devote as much of my free time as possible to it.

danzig
03-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Personally, I'd say do a quick read on the play styles of different classes and don't be afraid to try a few. Some people told me to roll a class that can farm items and plat with little to no gear- I flipped those people the bird and mained a Ranger. Have fun! It's an awesome game.

Thermite
03-26-2017, 10:57 PM
A necromancer is also a extremely good first class ... solos like a champ gear really isn't needed...

Or a druid you can port, buff, heal, solo... just sayin those would be my choices if i was to start over...

<3 termite

Randomiseduser
03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Personally, I think that if you want an experience that is closer to what EQ was, roll a melee class as your first character.

Yes, you wont be able to farm things, you wont be able to level quickly soloing... but the 'need' to group with people is very much the reason why EQ was so fun back in the days.

However, if you don't have a lot of time, then roll a caster class that can solo well.

greenspectre
03-27-2017, 09:06 AM
P99 is an excellent choice if you enjoy a challenge. The classic style of EQ play never held your hand, and if you enjoy combing the wiki and planning your own adventure, this is the place to be.

I agree with the above suggestions of Necro/Mag/Dru as good starting caster classes, but there is also a case to be made for bards. I detest playing casters but knew I'd need somebody that relied on gear just a bit less as my first toon so I rolled a bard and I'd recommend it if you want to be able to play both a melee and a caster. Just beware as learning how to twist songs and swarm kite will add to the already steep learning curve but the reward is that you can just wear whatever gear you want and still kite down a whole zone if you know what you're doing.

Mirakk82
03-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Welcome to Norrath! Enjoy your stay. The world is a dangerous place. Always remember to consider nearby monsters, as there's often higher level things roaming around in lower level areas.

People are quite generous, because a game like this is kind of viewed more as survival than most modern MMOs. Don't be shy to ask if anyone can buff a fresh noob, most are happy to oblige, and may even give you an item or two to help you get your footing. Whatever city you're in, it doesn't hurt to see if anyone's killing guards. You might be able to pick up a pity weapon/shield to use, or to sell for your first couple of plat to get some backpacks or something.

Don't run far from home, unless you're certain you can get back to that spot. If you die, you'll drop your equipment and have to go get it back from the angry monsters who killed you. Take your time and go slow, learn the land. Make note of landmarks. there's no easy mode map. Hell, get a notebook, and start scribbling your own notes if you want to really have the full experience. Or you can look up maps for the zones if you're the type who just wants to see where your'e going. If you do this, I might suggest printing them off so you've got them on hand.

Talk to people a lot. Make friends. You live and die by your friends, so be courteous. Tell people you're new to Everquest entirely, and they'll be happy to share with you all sorts of things. An EQ virgin these days is like finding a diamond.

And have fun! Well met, lad!

Cavemanrob
03-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Just my two cents. Halfling Druids are fun for first timers. Great starting zone. Central to other areas, can group and solo well.

Most of all have fun.

Cambiant
03-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Roll whatever character you want, they're all fun. Evil races can be more difficult because they're killed on sight many places, but that can be fun for some people. New casters have an advantage because they're far less gear dependent at low levels. Humanoid mobs drop coin as well as rusty weapons and cloth. Hold on to high quality wolf and bear pelts and sell them to players.
Play it safe when soloing. Losing an hour plus of experience and running naked across dangerous zones to retrieve your corpse can be a (charming) frustrating practice.

EQBallzz
03-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Welcome! Brave soul venturing into EQ as a pure noob but good choice. No other MMO experience like it.

Izmael
03-27-2017, 01:27 PM
As a first character class I'd recommend druid for so many reasons.

- Make money porting other people - this is huge at lower levels when you're new to the server
- Ease of travel - helps discovering the world
- Decent soloability and reasonable desirability in groups.
- Can heal yourself - also huge when you're brand new to the game

The class isn't a mix maxer for the end game - but as a newcomer you're nowhere near the end game for at least a couple years most likely.

Pilgrimzero
03-27-2017, 02:26 PM
For the true classic feel, start a character and track down your trainer.

Then accidentally attack him.

Re spawn and wonder wtf just happened.

Subidoo
03-28-2017, 01:50 PM
My first character got stuck in the water in neriak, died many times
... decided to roll high elf after that, lol.

Pilgrimzero
03-28-2017, 02:19 PM
My first character got stuck in the water in neriak, died many times
... decided to roll high elf after that, lol.

Dark elf test of weeding out the weak.

Spyder73
03-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Honestly the biggest hurdle for getting into P99 (especially having never played EQ) is going to be how clunky and dated the controls are. It takes some getting used to...new games are simply more stream lined and at first you are going to think this is all an unplayable heap of garbage. once you get used to them it gets A LOT better. The starting areas are not all that great either unless you already know them, just trust that it gets better.

Keggernuts
03-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the family! I hope you have fun

If you ever have any questions or want to group send Kegluk a message. If be happy to try and help

ddemers
03-29-2017, 01:44 PM
EQ classes are so different and unique that I would suggest trying a few out before spending too much time on a specific class. It is also important to play a class enough to get a feel for it. Playing a class to level 5 wont cut it, some classes have specific spells that make them fun.

A Druid for instance gets sow and ports. Once your get these spells, the class becomes fun. For a Monk you want your mend and FD skills to work all the time, then its fun.

Also keep in mind that the grass is always greener on the other side. Each class has its pros and cons, so don't think any class is particularly better then another. It really comes down to your play style and what you enjoy doing.

dafier
03-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Welcome! This EMU is wonderful. P99 has had thousands of hours of work put in it to work as well as it does.

Play any character you want. If you don't like it, start another and try it out. There are many people who are more than willing to help out low levels.

Enjoy the experience of one of the most tough RPGs to play ever. All MMORPGs after this were elementary in comparison.

Keggernuts
03-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Agreed Dafier!