PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Pull as a Monk

Mzy12345
03-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Hello,

I'm getting to the point where I'm experiencing dungeons that I never visited on live or P99 and have no idea of their layout. As a Monk, I'm going to be expected to pull but I want to try to avoid learning on the job or asking someone else to pull since that won't go over well.

I look at the maps on the Wiki but those can be pretty difficult to comprehend if there are multiple levels. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to try to learn a dungeon layout and camps before hand? I can head to Seb in a few levels which is what brought me to this post. Finally, what do I want for resists/gear to be able to pull without getting nuked to death. Thanks in advance!

Vdub
03-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Just gotta do it to learn. Don't be afraid to tell the group you are new at pulling and are also learning the zone. Most people are pretty understanding and will usually offer advice. If not, find a new group.

Evia
03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Stack MR And HP gear for pulling. You can go create the free lvl 85 on live And go learn the zones on beefy op characters to avoid death. Honestly though just doing it is the best way to learn. Most ppl are cool and understanding if you just explain to them that you're new to pulling the zone.

Spyder73
03-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Basically trial by fire is the only way. If you have a good group it wont really matter, just remember where you started and slowly branch outward until you learn the camp. Even looking at maps wont help you, you gotta see it. Any particular camp you need help with?

Thiefboy777
03-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Step #1 is to not take any advice whatsoever from Tekilya. Dude has never pulled a mob, not even once. He might have some dps Monk tips though I dunno.

Kelzar
03-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Maybe you like to visit my Youtube channel (Searching for Kelzaraz on youtube you will find it), lot of videos related to monk playing, most from raid scene, but some random things too.

You can ask me in game if feels like that too.

Damn
03-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Hello,

I'm getting to the point where I'm experiencing dungeons that I never visited on live or P99 and have no idea of their layout. As a Monk, I'm going to be expected to pull but I want to try to avoid learning on the job or asking someone else to pull since that won't go over well.

I look at the maps on the Wiki but those can be pretty difficult to comprehend if there are multiple levels. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to try to learn a dungeon layout and camps before hand? I can head to Seb in a few levels which is what brought me to this post. Finally, what do I want for resists/gear to be able to pull without getting nuked to death. Thanks in advance!

Let the group know you're new and get your feet wet and dont forget to assess your group comps a small train could be a perfect sized pull depending on your comp/skill level just learning to think on your feet and learning the zones by heart is going to be your best bet here

loramin
03-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Does anyone have any tips on the best way to try to learn a dungeon layout and camps before hand?

Isn't there some way to load the zones without a server (and thus without mobs), possibly using the tools here: http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?EQEmu_Tool_Cheat_Sheet or elsewhere?

I thought I saw a video of that once, but I guess it might have just been someone's private server with mobs removed.

Crawdad
03-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Isn't there some way to load the zones without a server (and thus without mobs), possibly using the tools here: http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?EQEmu_Tool_Cheat_Sheet or elsewhere?

I thought I saw a video of that once, but I guess it might have just been someone's private server with mobs removed.

EQ Zone viewer. (http://eqclassic.de/wiki/EverQuest_Zone_Viewer)

No mobs, just lets you walk or fly around any zone you want. Sort of clunky but it gets the job done.

As far as pulling goes, you're going to have to bite the bullet and pull. Just tell your groups you're unfamiliar and it'll be fine. Only way to learn is to make mistakes.

loramin
03-23-2017, 08:10 PM
EQ Zone viewer. (http://eqclassic.de/wiki/EverQuest_Zone_Viewer)

Thanks!

Sebastionleo
03-23-2017, 11:28 PM
Or, go down to sebilis without a group, and follow a puller from another group and watch them. King groups actually tend to require that you are already familiar with pulling that camp, so going down and watching an experienced puller is the easiest way.

Mzy12345
03-24-2017, 07:14 AM
Thank you all very much! I'm going to use the Zone viewer and try to match it up with the Maps online so hopefully I can learn where the camps are even with no mobs. Thanks again!

Neric
03-25-2017, 04:35 PM
Pulling is easy, especially if you got a guy pulling off from you, once NPCs start to wander back. The only difficult part is when you are dealing with casters. If they complete their nuke too late, they will mess up your FD. Make sure you break the line of sight on them.

mev
03-26-2017, 04:26 AM
As others have said, I've generally told the group that I wasn't familiar and learned on the job.

In Sebilis, two other things can help:
1. Is there a rogue in the group? They can show you where to pull.
2. Are you replacing another monk? You might be able to ask them to stick around for an extra few minutes to show you the ropes.