PDA

View Full Version : P99 Laptop for late 16/17

kgallowaypa
03-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Hey guys, so I have a really good desktop at home which I play mostly p99 with but I travel on the weekends and take care of my family. I recently bought a Lenovo 710 YOGA which has the 7th gen core i5 and an Nvidia 940MX with a 256 SSD and Full HD display. That laptop is great because it is lightweight (around 4lbs and 0.7" thick) and runs p99 very well but seems to throttle around 40-50FPS when in Freeport and around 30 FPS when in EC tunnel... My thought is, if I want to raid on the weekends in ToV or HoT, if I am getting 30fps in EC tunnel, it would feel super slow when in tight proximity

Now I know before you TLDR this, my question is a little different;

Does p99 with the titanium client utilize more of the CPU or the GPU as we run it today? On my beast pc at home with a GTX 1080- and 4790k @ 4ghz, I still only get around 90FPS even with the in-game options adjusted to max FPS with the slider...For reference Doom 2016 gets 80+ FPS on ultra settings :confused:

What I am wondering is if I should return this Lenovo and get either the Core i7 version but keep the 940mx or just find another laptop that can run p99/phinny/new prog server coming out in summer to keep the fps above 60. Seems to be the late 2016 models are starting to come with the new 10 series GPU's.

Budget is not really a problem (Have 2.5k to spend on something that will last for other games as well) but I don't want a full gaming laptop that is heavy because for that I can just play at home on my desktop on the weekday's. I am talking about an on-the go laptop that would be feasible for 60 fps on titanium even when in EC tunnel that weighs around 4-5 lbs.

Any recommendations or thoughts on how I should shop around for my needs? What is everyone else using that works great for them on p99?

khanable
03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
My experiences have been that titanium was CPU bound. EQ likes 1 core that is fast. So unless there is a decent clock rate increase from the i5->i7 I'd be surprised if you saw much of a gain.

Fwiw I had an i5 mbp with integrated intel graphics and had similar numbers.

Look at the razer blade and xps 15. For eq on both of those machines you'll want the full hd screen to avoid fucky scaling bullshit.

Sage Truthbearer
03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
My opinion is that Titanium seems to mostly process from your GPU and CPU isn't as important.

I noticed a pretty huge leap in performance with keeping my dated CPU intact and upgrading my GPU alone.

Could it be not enough vram on your GPU? I'm getting stable 144fps with an i7-2600 and 1060 6gb.

kgallowaypa
03-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Loramin posted this link in 2014 which still updates based on the current markets GPU's: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html The cards at the top of the page are the best GPU performance ranked in descending order and rated by different 'classes'.

The GTX 940MX is in the "Mid-Range Graphics Cards - With these GPUs you are able to play modern and demanding games fluently at medium detail settings and HD resolution." Albeit still in class 2, it is at the near bottom of the list - only a few cards above the entry level tier for Low-Midrange Graphics Cards.

The thing is, this chart rates graphics based on current modern games (I assume within the last 3 years..how can an optimized old game with the titanium still not get 60 fps when the GPU's of gaming laptops of maybe..2007-2010 would theoretically blow p99's titanium architecture out of the water?

To Sage: which laptop do you have at the moment? I found that a lot of the current 1060's are full-tilt gaming laptops around 6 lbs and a little unwieldy and hot for traditional 'lap-top' use, even with a 15.6"

Sage Truthbearer
03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
That was for a desktop, sorry for confusion. For help picking your laptop maybe try checking out this link, The Wirecutter is a pretty legit/independent review site: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptop/

kgallowaypa
03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
I think I should just call it a day and grab a Razer Blade 14" and just be done with it. I usually go through a game influx every few months where I get heavy into p99 for 3-4 months, then go back to ark, then wow, and back to p99 so I guess I should buy something that can handle Ark more so than just filtering for p99.

gildor
03-20-2017, 04:49 PM
I just bought a 14" gaming laptop ..but not a razerblade..

MSI GS43VR ...and its awesome :) with win 10 have to add a few regkeys to get optimus to skip driver signing and let P99 use the 1060..but its a beast..I play full shadows, full sky, full spell effects everything and was at 100FPS (capped) this morning at raid..

kgallowaypa
03-20-2017, 04:57 PM
I just bought a 14" gaming laptop ..but not a razerblade..

MSI GS43VR ...and its awesome :) with win 10 have to add a few regkeys to get optimus to skip driver signing and let P99 use the 1060..but its a beast..I play full shadows, full sky, full spell effects everything and was at 100FPS (capped) this morning at raid..

I was looking really closely at the GS63VR when I ruled the Asus ROG GL502VM out as it is wayyy too heavy. Curious, how are your temps on the one you have now? Can you reasonably play p99 for a long time on the lap or does the gtx 1060 get too hot for sustained use?

khanable
03-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Hey, if you're willing to throw money at the problem the razer blade is certainly going to solve your issues!

For shits & giggles I underclocked my CPU to take a look at the impact on framerate. 6700k desktop with a GTX 1070. Game was in 1920x1200 using the lowest resolution textures possible (ie, I'm not using the fancy higher-res official pack). 8x AA was forced and I didn't care enough to turn it off.

1ghz: 19FPS in EC with tons of people on screen
2.2ghz: 49FPS in EC with tons of people on screen
4.5ghz: over 100FPS in EC with tons of people on screen

YMMV, and I'm way too lazy to pull my 1070 to see how it compares to the intel integrated graphics :p

skarlorn
03-20-2017, 07:43 PM
i also use the lenovo yoga dude!

it's a good work comp but bad 4 games

kgallowaypa
03-20-2017, 08:36 PM
i also use the lenovo yoga dude!

it's a good work comp but bad 4 games

I found an improvement by using DuxaUI's installer to max out the 1 cpu but if you see a lot of other players it is still laggy. Guess in 2017 you still cant have it all

gildor
03-21-2017, 08:33 AM
I was looking really closely at the GS63VR when I ruled the Asus ROG GL502VM out as it is wayyy too heavy. Curious, how are your temps on the one you have now? Can you reasonably play p99 for a long time on the lap or does the gtx 1060 get too hot for sustained use?

Temps are fine man, I've ran Conan exiles max everything for like 6 hours and it never even gets hot to the touch. Of course don't put it on your lap ...Let it breathe

kgallowaypa
03-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Hey, if you're willing to throw money at the problem the razer blade is certainly going to solve your issues!

For shits & giggles I underclocked my CPU to take a look at the impact on framerate. 6700k desktop with a GTX 1070. Game was in 1920x1200 using the lowest resolution textures possible (ie, I'm not using the fancy higher-res official pack). 8x AA was forced and I didn't care enough to turn it off.

1ghz: 19FPS in EC with tons of people on screen
2.2ghz: 49FPS in EC with tons of people on screen
4.5ghz: over 100FPS in EC with tons of people on screen

YMMV, and I'm way too lazy to pull my 1070 to see how it compares to the intel integrated graphics :p

My mother taught me to only throw money at problems lmfao

In fairness, the Razer Blade seems *future proof enough that it would last as a solid laptop for a good 5+ years vs a laptop that is just enough to play p99 right now if you get me.

I am surprised to see that the testing you did shows that there is a difference...but lets be honest - you are making a bottleneck to a GTX 1070. The true test would be to underclock the shaders and memory of the GTX 1070 while keeping the CPU consistent to be a reliable indidcator. If you could show me comparative stats of that (probably at 2.4 or 3 GHZ baseline CPU clock), I would love you :)

khanable
03-21-2017, 09:26 AM
I can underclock my card today after work. It'll be tough to draw comparisons from an underclocked 1070 to other gpu's, but the frame change will be interesting.

kgallowaypa
03-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks man, going to check out the MSI GS63VR today after work and see how it fares, I should probably bring p99 on a usb stick to test it out...If the sales rep asks me what am I doing, I'll just tilt my head and give a hoarse, "pixelz are lyfe bro" and walk away. A wild p99er is a rare occurrence in the real world.

khanable
03-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Alright, I'm using MSI afterburner so my underclocking abilities are rather limited.

6700k locked at 2.4ghz, 1920x1200, forced 8x AA, classic textures, GTX 1070

with +170 core clock and +400 memory clock and 112% power limit, I was seeing 51 FPS in EC with lots of people on screen

with -400 core clock (max lowest) and -502 memory clock (max lowest) and 49% power limit (max lowest), I was seeing.. drumroll.. 51 FPS in EC with lots of people on screen

haha

There just wasn't much of a load on the gpu. I have this thing normally boosting to over 2k on the core, and even with the max overclock EQ wouldn't take it over 1500mhz core. With the underclock it sat around 800.

is there a better way to underclock?

khanable
03-21-2017, 07:44 PM
one last data point, shadows make a big difference

6700k locked at 4.5ghz, 1920x1200, forced 8x AA, shadows on with max distance, classic textures, GTX 1070

This got my card boosting over 2k!

2025 core, 4374 memory - 67 FPS

1480 core, 3500 memory (max underclock) - 56 FPS

edit: still think the best way to check this would be to just check it out with the intel graphics but yeah I'll let you test that =p

kgallowaypa
03-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Dell just came out with the new for 2017 XPS line with an i7 and GTX 1050, might just buy that - I returned the Lenovo yesterday and bought an HP Omen with a GTX 1050 to try out. Great little machine but that screen eh, Seems to be razer blade or the XPS is the way to solve this stuff. Thanks Khan for the feedback and testing on your part man

khanable
03-22-2017, 08:35 AM
My ladypal has an XPS 13, it's such a fantastic little device. The edge-to-edge screen is so dope.

The 15" is even better - and it's a 15.6" screen in what amounts to, more or less, a 14" body. Super compact and powerful.

Doesn't have the XTREME GAMER vibes that the razer has, either =p

kgallowaypa
03-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Yeah that's what I like about the XPS, and the 4k screen is very impressive RGB. I mean the razer blade is nice too, very sleek but at the end of the day its that 'gaudy' marketing of GAMER HERE WATCHOUT OUT EVERYONE! Remind me a lot of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9B60dqDAho and that typical BS. With my corporate discount and the sale until today, you can get the new Dell 15.6 for $1450 with $250 off the price, def. putting that down after work.

khanable
03-22-2017, 10:12 AM
4k screen probably won't work well with EQ. Not sure if Windows 10 makes it better but with earlier versions scaling was just not happening with Titanium, so you'd have ultra small buttons/text. Just FYI - I'd test it on a machine in a story with a USB stick if you can.

kgallowaypa
03-22-2017, 10:19 AM
http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

Just noticed the 4k option only comes with an i5, but in that case maybe the i7 with the standard 1080 would be better..but still cant beat that extra $150 off for a better screen at the end of the day.. Ill see if it can scale today at work with windows 10

khanable
03-22-2017, 11:10 AM
I personally would go for the 1080p screen:

-Gaming will suck less and playing games in window mode won't suck nuts
-Zero scaling issues anywhere
-An additional 4hrs battery life (this is pretty damn substantial)
-Matte display (non-touch)

Just my 2 cents

kgallowaypa
03-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Well I went with my gut and ordered the i7 1080p XPS 15.6". Should arrive on Wednesday of next week woo woo! Your 2 cents helped me to choose that over the 4k display khan