PDA

View Full Version : Improving load times?

Draulius
03-08-2017, 07:43 PM
I installed this game on a Samsung 960 Evo and I seem to load into other zones at the same speed as other people still. Is there any way to load faster or due to this game's age is there a limit to how fast you can load?

Thanks.

Doctor Jeff
03-08-2017, 07:51 PM
some options for reading faster
solid state drive
ramdisk
flash drive

but connection plays a factor too

Draulius
03-09-2017, 01:45 AM
solid state drive
ramdisk
flash drive

That's the thing. I'm using a top-of-the-line SSD and I'm not loading zones any after than what I remember on my hard drive.

Zaela
03-09-2017, 02:17 AM
Biggest time consumers would be: loading texture data, and the networking aspect.

Texturing caching and an SSD should make loading texture data pretty quick.

Networking is probably a much bigger factor. Zoning involves several back-and-forth exchanges between the client and the server. Every time you zone the client essentially starts from scratch and expects the server to re-send all of your character data, items in your inventory (including your bank slots, even if you are going to a zone with no bank, unless the devs have optimized that), spells in your spellbook, etc. On top of that the client also needs to receive spawn info for every mob currently in the zone you are headed to before it will consider rendering the zone and giving you control.

It's a lot of packets, plus 4 or 5 or more points where the client or server have to wait for an explicit response from the other before proceeding to the next thing they need to do. Best you can do is delete all your items and only zone into the Arena.

Baler
03-09-2017, 03:31 AM
solid state drive
ramdisk
flash drive

Nail on the head.

I use ramdisk and my latency is not bad. Load times are as fast as they can be. Due to the age of the titanium client it wasn't coded for our modern age 'super' performance. So you will always have to wait for the code. The titanium version of everquest was released Jan 10, 2006. That's over 10 years ago.

That's the thing. I'm using a top-of-the-line SSD and I'm not loading zones any after than what I remember on my hard drive.
What is your latency?

vpn on my router to New York. Drops zoning times significantly compared to normal Australian cable
In some cases this is in fact faster. It also opens a whole new can of worms on the discussion of using a vpn/proxy to get better latency on online games. a lot of the time for the average user it will make their latency worse. I believe it requires the proper understanding of how your internet traverses the world/nation. It can be hit or miss.

Jimjam
03-09-2017, 05:49 AM
I have some loading issue.

The loading bar passes really quickly once it appears, but it takes a long time to appear.

Is this likely to be due to network issues?

Doctor Jeff
03-09-2017, 08:33 AM
I have some loading issue.

The loading bar passes really quickly once it appears, but it takes a long time to appear.

Is this likely to be due to network issues?

I get the same issue when my connection is spotty, so I'd reason so.

That's the thing..

I think it's funny that most people only read the first few lines of a post.

Draulius
03-10-2017, 01:09 AM
I get the same issue when my connection is spotty, so I'd reason so.

I think it's funny that most people only read the first few lines of a post.
My latency is fine. 90ms.

Baler
03-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Also I want to add that each zone is a separate server. So zone X to zone Y may differ in loading times than zone A to zone B.