PDA

View Full Version : There's no place like Freeport

Glesni99
03-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Well, it was an indescribable pleasure logging into a populated Freeport yesterday, for the first time in many years. The pre-luclin sights, the sounds, the music - but mostly the company of other players who are probably as irreparably smitten with old Norrath as I am - 17 years on.

The next big thing was never quite as immense as that first year of EQ, and thereafter came long years of pining for boat rides, CR's and the dream teams in Lower Guk. I followed forums and petitions calling for classic server for a looong time - before life got too busy to carve even a meager existence in any game. So, I missed the boat early on with P1999 - but seem's it's still very much alive and kicking at every level - along with the snakes - and i'm duly floored. Content as a froglock in swampwater.

Heartfelt gratitude to the people who diligently worked at restoring and returning this magical piece of history and home to us - you are glorious, wonderous - nothing short of demigods.

North Ro tonight - woooooo!

Glesni/Angharad/Telarian

Skinned
03-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Welcome to this wonderful server :)

Muggens
03-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Welcome - you can check Technical forums to find ways to improve the crispness of textures in-game if you want to "spice it up" - Freeport looks real good with HQ textures

Glesni99
03-08-2017, 06:31 AM
Thank you both - and I'll have a play around with the textures - cheers :)

ThomasGrey
03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Well, it was an indescribable pleasure logging into a populated Freeport yesterday, for the first time in many years. The pre-luclin sights, the sounds, the music - but mostly the company of other players who are probably as irreparably smitten with old Norrath as I am - 17 years on.

The next big thing was never quite as immense as that first year of EQ, and thereafter came long years of pining for boat rides, CR's and the dream teams in Lower Guk. I followed forums and petitions calling for classic server for a looong time - before life got too busy to carve even a meager existence in any game. So, I missed the boat early on with P1999 - but seem's it's still very much alive and kicking at every level - along with the snakes - and i'm duly floored. Content as a froglock in swampwater.

Heartfelt gratitude to the people who diligently worked at restoring and returning this magical piece of history and home to us - you are glorious, wonderous - nothing short of demigods.

North Ro tonight - woooooo!

Glesni/Angharad/Telarian

I couldn't agree more. I put away EVE last month and on a whim came back to experience classic EQ. Having a blast. Thanks for putting this up for us old timers to relive the glory of early release EQ.

Glesni99
03-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Excellent :) See you in game /Sláinte

Vandil
03-09-2017, 11:46 AM
For me there are two music/scenes in the game that really resonate with me.

One (being a fan of Dark Elf Shadowknights) is being in Neriak Third Gate, passing the two ghouls, and then boom, the Lodge of the Dead in its blood read glory looms in front of you, and right then, that the Lodge Theme plays. That's evokes a powerful feeling.

Second, walking into West Freeport from the Eastern Commonlands. As soon as that music kicks on, I get goosebumps. It feels like I'm back home. As you said, here's truly no place like Freeport.

I actually have those two tracks (and a few others) on my iPhone for nostalgic atmosphere fun.

EQBallzz
03-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Welcome back! Reliving the magic of EQ is as good as you imagine it will be.

SoekiWiz
03-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Welcome - you can check Technical forums to find ways to improve the crispness of textures in-game if you want to "spice it up" - Freeport looks real good with HQ textures

Is there a link to this one?

I was scrolling through, but I only found the thread about the updated textures for character models.

Glesni99
03-10-2017, 05:53 AM
For me there are two music/scenes in the game that really resonate with me.

One (being a fan of Dark Elf Shadowknights) is being in Neriak Third Gate, passing the two ghouls, and then boom, the Lodge of the Dead in its blood read glory looms in front of you, and right then, that the Lodge Theme plays. That's evokes a powerful feeling.

Second, walking into West Freeport from the Eastern Commonlands. As soon as that music kicks on, I get goosebumps. It feels like I'm back home. As you said, here's truly no place like Freeport.

I actually have those two tracks (and a few others) on my iPhone for nostalgic atmosphere fun.

:) Brilliant. You've sold Neriak sold to me now. Looking forward to trying some new races this time.....compiling a new EQ Maps lever arch :D

Glesni99
03-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Welcome back! Reliving the magic of EQ is as good as you imagine it will be.

That familiar 'can't wait to get home from work' is back - just have a few more things to do before I can crack open a Bud and log in, now :D

Lovely being back - thank you :)