PDA

View Full Version : are monk,war,rogue boring?

rotenvok
03-06-2017, 07:01 AM
As far I know those 3 classes have no spells and they only have 2 or 3 skills to put in a macro.

I have a SK, it was very boring during 1 to 8, i only can taunt and bash, until lvl 9 when i get my first spells and had a lot of buttons to push. So warrior will play like a lvl 1-8 SK all his levels... I dont care if he is the best tank, it seems extremely, extremely boring.

Is just my impression. What do you think about this?

Norwitch
03-06-2017, 08:28 AM
All I can say is there is ALOT more to playing any of those classes than just hitting a few buttons. Learning how to pull, how to keep agro as a warrior. Most people will assist off you in a group so you need to know which mobs to attack first. Every class is exciting in their own ways.

Jimjam
03-06-2017, 08:43 AM
The challenge, if you can call it that, is to understand what other group mates are going to do. You might not be the one actually doing the CC, heals, etc, but you'll be thinking about it and adjusting your actions accordingly.

Also, classes with less button pressing make good leaders as they have the spare keyboard time to coordinate their groupmates, manage lists of potential players and seek possible reps/buffs/rezzes/drags etc.

bum3
03-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Jimjam has it correct!

Lhancelot
03-06-2017, 12:55 PM
I used to think that too. I find rogue fun now, it's like a break from playing complex classes like my enchanter and shaman. I find I can talk and chat more on the rogue.

Some other easy/relaxed classes besides rogue I have found is mage and cleric. Mage is really simple.

Cleric is super relaxed until you get lulled half asleep then realize the tank is at 5% because he got nuked hard and you were busy tabbing out and reading stuff because no one ever seems to be in need of heals. then it gets interesting.

Rogue also can sneak and hide all over the place, so if you feel like exploring you can do it almost anywhere and not die.

These classes are boring in the sense they are very simple to play in a group, but that simplicity allows you to do other things in a group to make it not as boring...

bum3
03-06-2017, 01:09 PM
I've been playing a wizzie in a static lately. I have found it the most boring class yet. Stand up, nuke once and sit back down. Rinse and repeat. I find I am able to be more social. I google a lot more. Read reddit. Do laundry. Etc. yup sometimes it's nice to be a boring wizzie when you have house chores to get done.

EQBallzz
03-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Monk is boring? Why would you think that? I did Juggs in Seb yesterday morning. Solo splitting 6 Juggs + Tolapumj and pet at lvl 55 post sneak nerf is a lot of things...but boring is certainly not one of them. If you are playing monk and bored...you are doing it wrong.

Larkverdin
03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
I played a druid back on live, pretty much exclusively. When I came to P1999, the monk had always appealed to me in some way watching others play it, so I decided to give it a go. I got him up to I think 34 or 35 with some fairly decent gear (haste, adam club, SoS, ect.) and honestly got bored. Granted, at my fairly low level I wasn't doing some of the super complicated pulling that you can do at higher levels. In fact I was mostly soloing with a group here and there. But hitting flying kick as my only ability in combat just lost it's luster on me after a while. I sold all his things and rerolled my druid, who's now 31.

TL;DR: It's all down to personal preference. Some people like the simpler play style and others prefer spells. I fall into the former category.

EQBallzz
03-06-2017, 08:04 PM
I played a druid back on live, pretty much exclusively. When I came to P1999, the monk had always appealed to me in some way watching others play it, so I decided to give it a go. I got him up to I think 34 or 35 with some fairly decent gear (haste, adam club, SoS, ect.) and honestly got bored. Granted, at my fairly low level I wasn't doing some of the super complicated pulling that you can do at higher levels. In fact I was mostly soloing with a group here and there. But hitting flying kick as my only ability in combat just lost it's luster on me after a while. I sold all his things and rerolled my druid, who's now 31.

TL;DR: It's all down to personal preference. Some people like the simpler play style and others prefer spells. I fall into the former category.

Yeah I guess if you are just standing there hitting flying kick that would get boring but if that's what you are doing you aren't really playing in a way that makes the monk shine. You don't even need to be higher level. Dalnir, nurga, droga, guk can all be quite challenging to pull at the appropriate level. I'm sure rogue is boring if all you do ever is just stand there hitting backstab.

jolanar
03-07-2017, 10:12 AM
If you are pulling Monks are definitely not boring, probably one of the most active classes. Likewise if you are tanking as a War or Monk it's definitely not boring.

If you are just dpsing though and there isn't much else going on it can be boring to a certain extent. But that's true of basically every class that dpses in mundane situations. Mages "just" send in pets. Wizards "just" nuke occasionally. Rogues "just" backstab. Etc.

EQ is not a reflex skill intensive game. It's all about that situational awareness.

Izmael
03-07-2017, 10:18 AM
I mained rogue on live and it's pretty much the same class here - I was never bored for one simple reason: there are very few things a rogue can do on their own. You always need company, meaning you're never bored.

Doing HS basement on a necro, now that's some boring stuff. Or quadding wyverns as a druid. You name it.

Naethyn
03-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Warriors are item casters. Levitate, sow, slow, rootx27, see invis, ultravision, resist flowers, charmx10, lohx11, group healx5, regen, damage shield, 300 point healx50, wc port, shrink, atk buff, regen + atk buff, summon food, gather shadows, invis, instant invisx3

I also proc avatar, 50% slow, 10% ice based slow that slows unslowables, incapacitate, rune, unresistable 179dd.

I also have the best disciplines in game. Precision lets me do more damage then rogues. Defensive lets me tank the hardest encounters. Evasive makes me a god to blue cons.

My kicks stun.

We also look the coolest.

Blitzmann
03-07-2017, 11:08 AM
I've rolled a rogue, I've never found him to be boring, especially on lower lvls. I dish out so much DPS that I have to use escape on every single mob, although I try to manage it. I assume it will only get better once warriors start procing and manage to keep aggro over me.

Plus rogues get a lot of cool stuff like picklocking, pickpocketing... Sneak/hide is cool to look around.

The only real down side to a rogue and I'm pretty sure it's similar to warriors, is that it is a class that's very dependent on finding groups to lvl up.

No class can be boring, if you playu it right in tough situations. Simple grind up to 40 does allow to figuring out if a class is boring or not. If you want something fun to play, I'd recommend you go for versatile classes like shamies and enchanters, great soloers who can make the balance tilt in groups.

Dreenk317
03-07-2017, 01:39 PM
I've been playing a wizzie in a static lately. I have found it the most boring class yet. Stand up, nuke once and sit back down. Rinse and repeat. I find I am able to be more social. I google a lot more. Read reddit. Do laundry. Etc. yup sometimes it's nice to be a boring wizzie when you have house chores to get done.

My wizard friend once called playing his toon "like watching Everquest TV" I laughed pretty hard at the truth.

Legday
03-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Group tanking is a lot of fun actually. It is probably the most engaged role to be playing in terms of constant action other than being the puller. It might look like your warrior is just standing there getting hit, but in reality picking the target, positioning it, and effectively maintaining agro via any of the various methods discussed on these boards is very fun if you're doing it correctly. You're essentially in charge of the in camp management. Situational awareness allows you to min/max more than any twink gear can.

Muggens
03-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Short answer is No. Spellcasting is boring if you ask me, the only exception is the Wizard, where you're not spending all your time buffing others, but rather shoot the breeze and sling some nukes.