PDA

View Full Version : Druid v Wizard

Bethparent
03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Hello all.

I am returning to this game after briefly playing lord knows how long ago, and I want to roll either a Druid or a Wizard because I'd like to play a porting class. I've also never tried quad kiting before, but it looks fun, so I want to try that is well. Is there a preferred choice between the two? I know Druid will have a much easier time starting out, and will have sow, but I don't mind putting in the labor early on if wizards surpasses them. Thanks!

Tupakk
03-01-2017, 10:31 AM
If you are in it strictly for porting than Druid all the way. If you want to try your hand at soloing and quad kiting to 60 then Druid. If you are looking to do end game raiding or fast leveling if you get a bard friend, then Wizard hands down.

Whirled
03-01-2017, 11:15 AM
If you do NOT have a lot of EQ buddies, you may be soloing 99% of the time, as a wizard. Also, as a wizard, if you do not have SoW potions or JBoots, you will have a hard time. Unless you enjoy strafing away on every pull, you'll have a much easier time with a druid.

If you can afford twink items to help the survivability of the wizard, than blast away!

Connecticut
03-01-2017, 12:00 PM
If you want to end up raiding, Wizard.
If you want to be casual, and not wake up to batphones at 3am on work days to kill pixel monsters, Druid.

Both are undesirable in group situations.
Wizards are lackluster sustained DPS, Druids are lackluster heals.

I'm glad I went druid, there's a lot I can do solo at 60 with heals, charms, nukes, dots, pacify/harmony, etc. etc.
Wizards seem kinda corn holed on fun/soloable content once you are done leveling, quad kite or bust.

Erati
03-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Druid > all

EQBallzz
03-01-2017, 12:15 PM
People make it sound like your only options as a wizzy/porter are to solo or join DaP. I can't speak for other guilds but we would love to have more druids (that don't leave for DaP at 34) and wizzies. Maybe they aren't the most min/max friendly classes but druids offer great flexibility and the option to travel and port out of places like The Hole, Droga, HS etc...is very convenient. We actually took a 41 druid deep into the Hole last night just to be able to port some people out. We also could use more wizzies for porting up to Sky and Hate.

If you do decide on either of those you are welcome to apply to Vita! We encourage class diversity and playing whatever is the most fun as opposed to the best min/max option (nothing wrong with min/maxing, either). We also do a lot of grouping together as a guild so you can expect guild groups.

bum3
03-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Go druid. I'm a 22 wizard and leveling it up. I'm finding that everyone outdmgs me. Warrior is crippling for 202 every 4-5th hit. I'm nuking for 175 and getting all the agro, even after mob is under half health. Mage's nuke for 19 less dmg than me yet has a pet that dbl attacks for 19dmg. Even the pally out dps me. So yeah. Go druid. At least you can heal, nuke, buff, snare, and port. Where as I can do subpar dmg and port. If i remember right wizards take off when they can crit nuke. But that won't happen here.

Just my 2c.

loramin
03-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Druids have far more utility, wizards are better nukers. As others have said already, the only time the better nuking really matters is when you're raiding.

Basically ...

Both:

* can nuke
* can port
* can solo

Druids:

* can heal
* can charm (this is HUGE for leveling)
* can SoW
* can track

Lhancelot
03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Druid

Easier to level up. As a druid, prior to 50 you will find groups fairly well, it's not till 50+ groups start to look for other classes to fill more defined roles.

Druid also has a lot more variety in what they can do. They get damage shields and regen, they can PL people and help noobs with more than just their ports. Druids get Spirit of Wolf for run speed boost.

Druids get charm which is big on p99, it really opens up a lot of leveling opportunities.

Druids can quad kite for an efficient levleing method when solo.

In groups druids tend to fall behind other classes because other classes simply do everything the druid can do better. Other healing classes offer better heals and better utility. Other DPS classes offer more efficient DPS than the druid. There's just limited times when a druid would fill a spot better than other classes due to them being more of a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

Wizard

I honestly think the only way a person sticks with a wizard is if they simply love the class and the motif that surrounds it. Wearing robes, nuking mobs with hard hitting powerful spells and enjoying a more varied portal destination set is what the wizard is about.

Wizards can port people without having to actually port there themselves with translocations. They also can send someone to their bind spot.

Wizards can solo well with quad kiting once they get their snare spell. I personally seen a wizard that would pull 8 mobs and manage to kite and quad them easily with his tool kit.

In groups, wizards are good to burn mobs down fast, but their damage is not consistent as they have to sit and med constantly before unloading their nukes. That's why many people prefer melee dps or a pet class because they provide constant damage whereas a wizard does not.

Nibblewitz
03-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Now that you have chosen to play either one of the second rate classes, you have to ask yourself: Would I want to yield a leaf blower or a cattle prod?

Lhancelot
03-02-2017, 12:38 AM
Be a druid. They are literally everything a wizard is and more. Whoever says wizards are better for "endgame raiding" doesn't have a wizard, or wants to stare at a wall in ToV spamming TL.

Good luck getting dragon's bane / giant's bane. Even if you do get them, it's pointless.

The guy above me talking about a wizard killing 8 mobs is lying.

Be a druid.

I'm lying? As I quadded wyverns in Cobalt Scar on my 54 druid I chatted and watched a wizard pull wyverns from the Skyshrine tower, it was 7-8 wyverns.

Also telling the guy a druid is everything a wizard is and more is not true.

They are very different classes and if I wanted a dps in a group but only had a druid and a wizard to choose from I would pick the wizard.

I personally enjoy the druid class more than the wizard class, but that being said I still wouldn't tell someone to not consider playing a wizard if they had an interest to do so.

RedXIII
03-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Wizards > Druids.

I would list all the reasons in the world to make druid class look like crap but i rather keep my druid friends and the <Dial a Port> people happy.

Tupakk
03-02-2017, 02:40 AM
Wizards > Druids.

I would list all the reasons in the world to make druid class look like crap but i rather keep my druid friends and the <Dial a Port> people happy.

lol, with all the shit going on lately I am sure there isn't anything you could possibly say that would be any worse than the rest.

Ravager
03-02-2017, 09:04 AM
I quad kited on both druid and wizard. I quadded all the way to 60 on my wizard. It's slow, but ideal for ultra casual play. I found wizard kiting to be far easier and faster than druid kiting because of the TFlux staff. I could afk for an hour, come back, click on jboots, run out click 4 mobs, group them, snare them and burn them down in under 5 minutes. Druid quadding takes considerably longer since you're trying to group snared mobs. Druids do have an advantage in finding the blue mobs nearby with track, and with the snare clicky, wolf form clicky and lightning clicky can perpetually quad mana free at level 45+, but that's slower still.

Wizards only get bothered for ports. Druids get tells from across the zone for buffs.

Druids have more options of where to solo with charm capabilities.

Either will have the same troubles /LFG, but either can build their own groups cuz ports.

Of course, after I got my Wizard to 60, I quit it and started another alt, cuz outside of porting and nuking there isn't anything to do with a wizard.

SoekiWiz
03-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Fuck Wizards. Anyone who rolls a Wizard as their main clearly has horrible decision making skills.

sigh.

dude
03-02-2017, 12:48 PM
Dude Rolls deep with his wizard group and solo. Don't let having 250hp at level 35 fool you most stuff is dead in 3 hits.

Lojik
03-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Druid is more well rounded. Wizard is a good main for raid guilds IMO...you can get to raid encounters easily and are good DPS for a lot of encounters (without needing many buffs or items), particularly with the zerg mindset on this server.

Lhancelot
03-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Wizard Pillar spells are max 4 targets, just like druids AE. Nobody picks a wizard for DPS in groups.

I'm telling you this as a level 60 epic wizard in gear that you will never obtain.

Let me clarify this so it's easy to understand.

I watched a wizard pull 7-8 mobs on each pull, snare them, and then have the efficiency to kill them all on that pull. Obviously a "quad" spell only lands on 4 mobs hence it's called "quad" for a reason.

On my druid I couldn't pull two sets of 4 mobs and quad them because the druid quad spells simply are not as efficient as the wizards. On my druid I pull 4, quad them, and sit and med for the next set. That wizard would pull 7-8 mobs, kite and kill them, then sit and med.

Any group that is looking for dps and had to choose between a wizard or a druid is going to pick a wizard. 100 out of 100. Druids do NOT do DPS better than wizards.

IDGAF if you got an epic wizard or not, btw. Painting the wizard as badly as you are looks retarded.

Skinned
03-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Wizard gets pretty amazing in the end. In groups you do kind of suck until you get level 44 and get conflagration and later with ice comet and the draught line. You can quad pretty early on.

I make a lot of alts and have a shaman...I just make my own SOW potions for 60pp per ten doses and even if I don't make the money back on my quads (I usually do) I can just port for some cash.

I've grouped occasionally, and have never had any trouble finding a group, but I've more or less soloed into the mid 40's on my wiz so far....great for doing chores....do a quad, run the vacuum...do a quad....load the dish washer...do a quad...start a load of laundry...lol. I played one to 55 in live, but that was Luclin era and it is much harder on p99...easier however now with Velious gear proliferation.

But I've been quadding since level 16 with pillar of fire and it is easy peasy XP. It is nice getting a blue or more per pull in the mid 40's.

Druids are pretty sweet, and I plan on rolling one because I have pretty much played every class but druid over the years and I've always liked them. Wizard is the only class I've played seriously twice, on live and on p99.

The lower levels are excruciating though. Lol. Druid is definitely a lot easier. But do you want to be an Int caster or do you want to be a Wis caster? There is a big difference, not just in aesthetics but in function. Do you want to heal or nuke?

Plus the various stuns, AE snares, roots, you can do a lot in a group.

RDawg816
03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Any group that is looking for dps and had to choose between a wizard or a druid is going to pick a wizard. 100 out of 100. Druids do NOT do DPS better than wizards.
That's not accurate. If the group is going somewhere the druid can charm, they will be way better dps. Also, wizard dps isn't great, so a lot of groups would take the druid since they have buffs and can also snare (and even harmony is helpful.)

I personally enjoy playing and grouping with wizards, but they are not picked over druids as much as you claim.

Jimjam
03-02-2017, 07:47 PM
I might take a wizard over a druid if I already had a bard/enc. It's nice to have a disposable class that can root mezzed mobs.

Out of the two I'd generally prefer the druid though. I'd be unlikely to pick either as a dps slot in proverbial hotzones though. Unless nice animal is to hand.

Lhancelot
03-02-2017, 08:10 PM
That's not accurate. If the group is going somewhere the druid can charm, they will be way better dps. Also, wizard dps isn't great, so a lot of groups would take the druid since they have buffs and can also snare (and even harmony is helpful.)

I personally enjoy playing and grouping with wizards, but they are not picked over druids as much as you claim.

That's true but in all honesty I am thinking of while leveling up. This guy is starting out new.

Maybe at 60 a druid holding charm for dps is viable, but how many charm spots do you know of for druids below 60 where a group will invite a druid to hold a charm? I can't think of any.

Skinned
03-02-2017, 08:12 PM
I might take a wizard over a druid if I already had a bard/enc. It's nice to have a disposable class that can root mezzed mobs.

Out of the two I'd generally prefer the druid though. I'd be unlikely to pick either as a dps slot in proverbial hotzones though. Unless nice animal is to hand.

I'm sure there are plenty of high level groups in the bear caves.

Feanol
03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
The lower levels are excruciating though. Lol. Druid is definitely a lot easier. But do you want to be an Int caster or do you want to be a Wis caster? There is a big difference, not just in aesthetics but in function. Do you want to heal or nuke?

Plus the various stuns, AE snares, roots, you can do a lot in a group.

I haven't seen a Druid stun anything lately, that's for sure. You can be a Cleric's best friend as a Wizard by saving his manna interrupting nasty MoB nukes. I also find the ultra-long duration stuns like Markar's Clash deal with low-hp runners very well, sometimes saving the group a wipe. I'm always surprised people don't mention the great stun line Wizards get, or use them for that matter.

I also like the point Skinned made about INT vs. WIS. I'm not sure what the economy is like on Blue server but I'd guess that Intelligence gear is easier to obtain than Wisdom gear, usually giving larger + bonuses and bigger manna = bigger damage!

Jimjam
03-02-2017, 08:21 PM
That's true but in all honesty I am thinking of while leveling up. This guy is starting out new.

Maybe at 60 a druid holding charm for dps is viable, but how many charm spots do you know of for druids below 60 where a group will invite a druid to hold a charm? I can't think of any.

Kill a shaman, charm its pet. Works in many zones. Not great dps, but better than nowt!

Expediency
03-03-2017, 12:29 AM
I did not know quadding 8 blue targets was a big deal? Ive done this in both dreadlands and in cobalt scar with no epic or lumi staff. Just round up four or five as normal and as you run around keep adding new mobs in and nuking the group so you always have at least 4 to hit. Got to have lev and wolf form. put click dot on every mob you pull whenever you get a chance. Obviously avoid casters. med when you can. I've only attempted this on blue (or less) mobs.

Expediency
03-03-2017, 12:42 AM
I haven't seen a Druid stun anything lately, that's for sure.

Druids can cast stun spells but only outside :(

And its true from about 54-59 its hard to find a group sometimes, but you can always solo or duo.

Amyas
03-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I have always loved druids.

You can port, solo, powerlevel, heal, they are awesome.

Lhancelot
03-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I did not know quadding 8 blue targets was a big deal? Ive done this in both dreadlands and in cobalt scar with no epic or lumi staff. Just round up four or five as normal and as you run around keep adding new mobs in and nuking the group so you always have at least 4 to hit. Got to have lev and wolf form. put click dot on every mob you pull whenever you get a chance. Obviously avoid casters. med when you can. I've only attempted this on blue (or less) mobs.

It's not a big deal, but the epic wizard lvl 60 was confused as to what I had written earlier so I wanted to clarify it.

Once the wizard hits level 54 quadding becomes extremely efficient for the wizard, far more than the druid.

54 level wizard quad spell: Pillar of Lightning - Area Effect Magic Based Direct Damage (848 max per mob), cost is 344 mana.

49 level druid quad spell: Lightning Blast - Area Effect Magic Based Direct Damage (477 max per mob), cost is 234 mana.

At 54 lvl, on my druid I was quadding with Lightning Blast, the last quad spell the druid gets.

I enjoy druids, I have two druids. Obviously I like playing druids more than wizards, but pretending the druid does everything better than a wizard is disingenuous.

I agree the druid would be the easier class to level up and grants more flexibility in gameplay but obviously some people enjoy the smaller niche the wizard fills or there would be no wizards.

Maybe this guy is one of those people who'd enjoy a wizard more, who knows?

GL OP on your decision! Both classes have their own charm.

Expediency
03-03-2017, 01:44 PM
At 54 lvl, on my druid I was quadding with Lightning Blast, the last quad spell the druid gets.

I enjoy druids, I have two druids.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Fist_of_Karana

Danth
03-03-2017, 02:14 PM
I agree the druid would be the easier class to level up and grants more flexibility in gameplay but obviously some people enjoy the smaller niche the wizard fills or there would be no wizards.

If you didn't need Wizards to port to Hateplane and Airplane there wouldn't be many Wizards at all. As it is there are several Druids for every Wizard online most the time. The Wizard should be regarded as akin to the Rogue or Magician or Warrior: It's a class with a focused job and will appeal to people who want to do that specific job without being hassled by distractions like players asking for buffs or heals or people wanting help pulling.

Danth

Nibblewitz
03-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Wizards utilize a manastone more efficiently.

arsenalpow
03-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Wizards utilize a manastone more efficiently.

Only if they have an epic. Druid probably has an easier time if they have a VP robe or VS legs which are likely easier to attain.

Nibblewitz
03-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Eh, 200hp and 250hp heals @12secs don't compare to an 800hp rune @15secs. Also, if you have to kill VS or Xygoz to get it, the epic argument falls flat.

Vandil
03-03-2017, 03:11 PM
If you are going to solo a lot, a druid works better. You can start the game in leather, meleeing things and mild spellcasting, eventually switching to spellcasting and kiting and meleeing things that are fleeing, then to an era of no-melee at all. Having SoW and heals at your disposal is a wonderful utility that no potion can match.

Wizards are glass canons. They have low defense and can't melee, but they have some of the best direct damage in the game. The best wizards can solo with kiting and quad kiting, but a wizard starting off will need to play in a group most of the time.

Skinned
03-03-2017, 07:51 PM

It isn't quadding with 8 targets it is octing, lol.

Mattius00
03-04-2017, 12:21 AM
I've pulled the entire pop of skyshrine tower and ran 2 quads, its not that hard. Just need the mana pool to pull it off and be efficient with the spells you are using.

meadtj
03-04-2017, 01:26 AM
As someone who has played both a wizard and a druid up to high levels...dont play those classes for the ability to quad kite things...once you get quadding down its very repetitive, very boring... the only nice thing about quad kiting is if you have something that you need to do (work around house maybe?) between 15 minute med sessions. You also get long med times with shamans...mages...necros..and all can solo...

Jimjam
03-04-2017, 04:33 AM
Eh, 200hp and 250hp heals @12secs don't compare to an 800hp rune @15secs. Also, if you have to kill VS or Xygoz to get it, the epic argument falls flat.

I've not done the wizard epic in a long time, but I am SURE I had to kill VS as part of that quest?

Beastagoog
03-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Explain this to me you fucking retard... He had the "efficiency" to kill 8 mobs? He snared them all at once? Oh, you mean he used atol's to snare 4, then re-group the other 4, and snare them, then killed all 8? You know what that sounds like to me? He was killing green mobs. You are literally a cuck and I hope you enjoy your trash-tier gear.

Let me clarify this so it's easy for you to understand: Wizards bring nothing to raids outside of porting and TL boxing. Druids are POTG buffbots and spot heals. Outside of raids, druids are capable of far more than wizards, period. Groups that are looking for DPS are not going to look for a druid OR a wizard, they are going to look for an actual DPS class. Maybe at level 20 when nobody knows what the fuck they're doing, and the only person LFG is a wizard. Other than that, you're so clueless that it's adorable.

Jesus.

Go outside breathe some fresh air then come back and spam the anger sum more.

faurkingsheep
03-04-2017, 07:37 AM
druid for sure. 57+ has gotta be a grip for wizards. nobody wants u to group and very few places to quad

Speedi
03-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Wizards > Druids..

Don't say that bro, I told you years ago when you was leveling Redwiz it wasn't to late. But you didn't wanna have to level again so you stuck with that crap wizard. It's ok man, you can always use Speedi or Deagol if you need to do something important.

Druids can cast stun spells but only outside :( .

Not true,

https://wiki.project1999.com/Fury_of_Air

Wizards got stronger nukes by like what? 600 dmg or so? And they can TL. That's all they got on a Druid.

Druids have the 2nd strongest direct heal in the game. Arguably the best buff in the game (potg), AE Snare, AE Root, harmony, charming, stuns, dots, nukes + other buffs, debuffs, utility, and ports!

While leveling you will notice how OP ensnare is as well, like 12 min or so.

With all that said, I think it's obvious Druids smoke a wizard. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed, on a phone ATM.

Case closed, thread can be locked now mods

Skinned
03-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Don't say that bro, I told you years ago when you was leveling Redwiz it wasn't to late. But you didn't wanna have to level again so you stuck with that crap wizard. It's ok man, you can always use Speedi or Deagol if you need to do something important.

Not true,

https://wiki.project1999.com/Fury_of_Air

Wizards got stronger nukes by like what? 600 dmg or so? And they can TL. That's all they got on a Druid.

Druids have the 2nd strongest direct heal in the game. Arguably the best buff in the game (potg), AE Snare, AE Root, harmony, charming, stuns, dots, nukes + other buffs, debuffs, utility, and ports!

While leveling you will notice how OP ensnare is as well, like 12 min or so.

With all that said, I think it's obvious Druids smoke a wizard. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed, on a phone ATM.

Case closed, thread can be locked now mods

What I'm hearing is.....the third best priest class is better than the fourth best caster class?

What does OP like? Utility and heals or damage? The roles are different. Both are lean killing machines and don't rely on sloppy pets (all the time). Not having all the hubris and being focused has its advantages. Wizards stack great in raids too. You only need one druid to potg everyone. No raid kicks a wizard out of bed. Dragon and giant nukes are pretty nice too.

Beastagoog
03-04-2017, 04:27 PM
1v1 on a pvp server Druid should beat a Wizard 9/10 times.

mefdinkins
03-04-2017, 05:43 PM
I have played a druid and a wizard. Choose the one you enjoy more.

Druid more well rounded, better soloer, decent raiding class with charm dps or support heals, good for mobilization, good as halfling.

Wizard better DPS, decent raiding class, amazing for mobilization, good as gnome.

Lhancelot
03-06-2017, 12:38 AM
Explain this to me you fucking retard... He had the "efficiency" to kill 8 mobs? He snared them all at once? Oh, you mean he used atol's to snare 4, then re-group the other 4, and snare them, then killed all 8? You know what that sounds like to me? He was killing green mobs. You are literally a cuck and I hope you enjoy your trash-tier gear.

Let me clarify this so it's easy for you to understand: Wizards bring nothing to raids outside of porting and TL boxing. Druids are POTG buffbots and spot heals. Outside of raids, druids are capable of far more than wizards, period. Groups that are looking for DPS are not going to look for a druid OR a wizard, they are going to look for an actual DPS class. Maybe at level 20 when nobody knows what the fuck they're doing, and the only person LFG is a wizard. Other than that, you're so clueless that it's adorable.

What you fail to grasp is either class might be found to be more enjoyable to the OP. Contrary to what you spout, one is not better than the other, it's quite subjective.

All your childish insults and nerd rage induced proclamations doesn't make you right about this topic.

Honestly I feel sorry for you and suspect you probably need to take your meds, clearly you have a serious emotional imbalance getting so worked up over a discussion about wizards and druids.

Take a deep breath buddy, relax and don't have a stroke over such mundane matters! It's not worth it bruv.

Cenii
03-06-2017, 08:06 PM
57+ has gotta be a grip for wizards. nobody wants u to group and very few places to quad

yup. this. i do still enjoy a wizard over a druid tho. play whatever you like best.

Skinned
03-06-2017, 08:38 PM
What you fail to grasp is either class might be found to be more enjoyable to the OP. Contrary to what you spout, one is not better than the other, it's quite subjective.

All your childish insults and nerd rage induced proclamations doesn't make you right about this topic.

Honestly I feel sorry for you and suspect you probably need to take your meds, clearly you have a serious emotional imbalance getting so worked up over a discussion about wizards and druids.

Take a deep breath buddy, relax and don't have a stroke over such mundane matters! It's not worth it bruv.

Meds don't really work for emotional regulation. Dialectical behavioral therapy is effective though.

loramin
03-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Meds don't really work for emotional regulation. Dialectical behavioral therapy is effective though.

I dunno, if you give a manic person their bipolar meds I think it would help their emotional stability a lot more than therapy.

Not that this server has anyone like that ...

Skinned
03-06-2017, 09:22 PM
I dunno, if you give a manic person their bipolar meds I think it would help their emotional stability a lot more than therapy.

Not that this server has anyone like that ...

Bipolar isn't based on emotion it is based on a chemical imbalance. Manic people aren't emotional they are delusional. Emotional regulation is more in the realm of BPD. Tons of borderlines are being treated for bipolar disorder and it doesn't work.

Sometimes it isn't illness, a lot of the time it is just personality and maladaptive characterlogical traits.

loramin
03-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Bipolar isn't based on emotion it is based on a chemical imbalance.

Exactly ... which is why drugs work better for them than therapy (although therapy can of course also be helpful).

Manic people aren't emotional they are delusional.
Emotional
relating to a person's emotions.
arousing or characterized by intense feeling.
(of a person) having feelings that are easily excited and openly displayed.

Sounds a lot like how a manic person acts to me; their chemical imbalance makes them very emotional, and they can go from totally normal to complete nerd rage in about 0.8 seconds (and that's not even talking about their hypomanic and depressed phases).

Again, not like there's anyone like that on this server ...

EDITED: to be less of an asshole

Skinned
03-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Exactly ... which is why drugs work better for them than therapy (although therapy can of course also be helpful).

You don't even have to be a psychiatrist to know this is wrong: anyone who has ever met someone who's manic knows that their chemical imbalance makes them very emotional. They can go from totally normal to complete nerd rage in about 0.8 seconds (and that's not even talking about their hypomanic and depressed phases).

Again, not like there's anyone like that on this server ...

But the difference is that the bipolar has an internal source and manic and depressive phases aren't affected by things other people do :)

Btw manic people are my favorite people to treat :) I have a soft spot for the borderlines though, even though other clinicians hate the drama.

Honestly, the Axis I and the Axis II kind of coexist more often than not and when the mania starts to clear from the drugs the emotional regulation starts to go crazy.

I'm not counting hypomanic phases...those are pretty nice to experience as long as you can sleep and eat and not become a complete maniac.

Worse class for mental health: shaman. All the canni dancing is stressful.

loramin
03-06-2017, 10:19 PM
But the difference is that the bipolar has an internal source and manic and depressive phases aren't affected by things other people do :)

They're emotional, and taking their drugs makes them less emotional (much less emotional than giving them some therapy). I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell you're going to convince me that therapy makes a bipolar person, in any phase, less emotional than giving them drugs, so I stand by my statement.

Btw manic people are my favorite people to treat :) I have a soft spot for the borderlines though, even though other clinicians hate the drama.

Ok I can understand the manics, they tend to be charismatic (especially when "up"). But I'm surprised about the borderlines, I'd think they'd all just be assholes (but then again I guess the point is to make them less asshole-ish, huh?).

Worse class for mental health: shaman. All the canni dancing is stressful.
Now this I can agree with.

<== Shaman, sanity questionable :D

Skinned
03-06-2017, 10:31 PM
They're emotional, and taking their drugs makes them less emotional (much less emotional than giving them some therapy). I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell you're going to convince me that therapy makes a bipolar person, in any phase, less emotional than giving them drugs, so I stand by my statement.

This is true. But any ethical psychiatrist is going to insist their patient be involved in learning things like coping strategies and actually trying to solve their life problems, and prevent things like self-sabotage. Some of them run pill boutiques and give a pill per symptom. There are some shitty psychiatrists out there...giving away benzos for long periods and stuff like that.

Borderlines can be difficult. The hardest part is getting them to accept that they aren't Bipolar and that they aren't suffering from GAD....that they are just uncontrollably emotional and have terrible abandonment issues, often stemming from some horrible trauma they've experienced and what they had to do to survive it. In this population skills like mindfulness, radical acceptance, and interpersonal effectiveness are more helpful :) If you can get them to a place of insight into their health.

People don't like hearing that their personality is the problem. So you have to be sneaky about approaching it.

loramin
03-06-2017, 10:33 PM
People don't like hearing that their personality is the problem. So you have to be sneaky about approaching it.

You're a braver man than I ... now go give some people some drugs! :p

Skinned
03-06-2017, 10:34 PM
You're a braver man than I ... now go give some people some drugs! :p

The chairs where I work weigh 60 pounds....quite unthrowable!

Gotta be fleet of foot and all that.

Troxx
03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Druid is a much more capable and well rounded class than wizard. Given a choice and all other things considered equal, I'd rather have a Druid in group than a wizard 99% of the time. Thorns allows the Druid to contribute more total damage over time despite having inferior raw nukes (total and efficiency). When you then consider the Druid has the regen line, hp buffs that stack with shaman, heals, snares ...

No contest.

bum3
03-07-2017, 11:05 AM
So.. by the last few posts you can say if you are chemical imbalanced play a wizard?

Emotionally stable play a druid.

Skinned
03-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Druid is a much more capable and well rounded class than wizard. Given a choice and all other things considered equal, I'd rather have a Druid in group than a wizard 99% of the time. Thorns allows the Druid to contribute more total damage over time despite having inferior raw nukes (total and efficiency). When you then consider the Druid has the regen line, hp buffs that stack with shaman, heals, snares ...

No contest.

So if you have a shaman slowing and a cleric healing you would take a druid over wiz for DPS because of thorns?

Rang
03-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Kedge, perma, solb, and chardok come to mind for sub 60 Druid charming in groups. Wizzies are great for killing 32k hp dragons quickly. Playstyle will dictate what class is best for OP, but if first starting on P99 Druid prob the wiser (bad dum tiss) choice. If your heart pines to be a wiz, roll a wiz then. P99 all about your own journey through the realm of Norrath.

loramin
03-07-2017, 12:51 PM
if first starting on P99 Druid prob the wiser (bad dum tiss)

Bad pun aside this is one of the best points in this thread. While both classes can farm items for other toons if you decide you don't like playing your main anymore, the Druid's track skill, ability to heal, etc. will come in way more handy for farming. If you know you want one or the other go for it, but if you're not sure (or if you think you might want to play some other class) the Druid will be a better "support your alts" character.

Skinned
03-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Bad pun aside this is one of the best points in this thread. While both classes can farm items for other toons if you decide you don't like playing your main anymore, the Druid's track skill, ability to heal, etc. will come in way more handy for farming. If you know you want one or the other go for it, but if you're not sure (or if you think you might want to play some other class) the Druid will be a better "support your alts" character.

This is so true. You would be better off playing a druid to 50 then starting your wizard with some stuff. Druid is infinitely easier as a first run character than wizard.

Sage Truthbearer
03-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Druids have a ton of utility, it's just that a very large number of Druids are really bad at EQ. They join groups then sit in wolf form 75% afk and cast a nuke every 4 minutes.

A properly played Druid brings plenty to the table. They snare fleeing mobs, patch heal, root adds, keep regen up, DS the tank, can evac to prevent a full group wipe.

Troxx
03-07-2017, 04:08 PM
So if you have a shaman slowing and a cleric healing you would take a druid over wiz for DPS because of thorns?

Yes.

Case in point: level 58 thorns is a 32 point DS for 150 mana. Vs slowed mobs, if the tank only gets hit 10x a minute (unlikely) it still nets >2300 damage per cast - 15 damage per mana spent. That damage is unresistable and generates no aggro.

It would take 2 ice comets not resisted at 800 mana to equal one thorns cast to do the same damage of 10 thorn hits a minute to break even - 4 full minutes of meditating vs the 45 seconds of meditating for the Druid to cast that one buff - and still have 650 extra mana to nuke, dot, buff, heal, snare.

In a more realistic model, you have to acknowledge that the tank is being hit more often than once every 6 seconds.

So yes, even with heals, slows, and buffs covered - Druids really are that much better than wizards. They'll put out more damage over time as a dedicated dps toon. This isn't to say Druids are great dps (they're not) - wizards are just that bad unfortunately. A well geared ranger simply attacking at 30-40 dps puts both of them to shame - not to mention a pet class afk other than sending in their pet.

Even a buffed/hasted shaman pet (20dps) will out-damage a Druid or wiz in the long run.

bum3
03-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Yes.

Case in point: level 58 thorns is a 32 point DS for 150 mana. Vs slowed mobs, if the tank only gets hit 10x a minute (unlikely) it still nets >2300 damage per cast - 15 damage per mana spent. That damage is unresistable and generates no aggro.

It would take 2 ice comets not resisted at 800 mana to equal one thorns cast to do the same damage of 10 thorn hits a minute to break even - 4 full minutes of meditating vs the 45 seconds of meditating for the Druid to cast that one buff - and still have 650 extra mana to nuke, dot, buff, heal, snare.

In a more realistic model, you have to acknowledge that the tank is being hit more often than once every 6 seconds.

So yes, even with heals, slows, and buffs covered - Druids really are that much better than wizards. They'll put out more damage over time as a dedicated dps toon. This isn't to say Druids are great dps (they're not) - wizards are just that bad unfortunately. A well geared ranger simply attacking at 30-40 dps puts both of them to shame - not to mention a pet class afk other than sending in their pet.

Even a buffed/hasted shaman pet (20dps) will out-damage a Druid or wiz in the long run.

I've got a chubby. Thanks!

Feanol
03-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Back again with my opinions! Prepare!

While I'm open to the fact that a Druid when casting his whole arsenal of DoT's/Nukes/Damage Shields/Pets is capable of more damage outright, it is exactly this hodgepodge that contrasts the Wizard's specialty = Instant, massive DPS.

Considering the point many here are making that Druids do so many other things than direct damage (healing, snaring/crowd control, buffing, maintaining a charm), when it comes down to a MoB needing to die the Wizard is better prepared.

The Wizard is not worried about the hitpoints of his group-mates, their buffs, pets... He's there for a single reason: blowing creatures into a thousand pixels. He's not dedicating his manna to any other purpose, other than a few roots more for personal safety than anything.

A smart Wizard plays almost like a Cleric. Tossing out nukes here and there when appropriate, but really saving his manna for when shit hits the fan and a certain MoB or MoB's need to be killed as soon as possible.

Best stun-lockers in the game after Paladins/Clerics too!

Just two different playstyles, not very easy to compare.

Muggens
03-07-2017, 07:57 PM
The Wizard should be regarded as akin to the Rogue or Magician or Warrior: It's a class with a focused job and will appeal to people who want to do that specific job without being hassled by distractions like players asking for buffs or heals or people wanting help pulling.

Sometimes it isn't illness, a lot of the time it is just personality and maladaptive characterlogical traits.

Nods head in agreement.

bum3
03-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Back again with my opinions! Prepare!

While I'm open to the fact that a Druid when casting his whole arsenal of DoT's/Nukes/Damage Shields/Pets is capable of more damage outright, it is exactly this hodgepodge that contrasts the Wizard's specialty = Instant, massive DPS.

Considering the point many here are making that Druids do so many other things than direct damage (healing, snaring/crowd control, buffing, maintaining a charm), when it comes down to a MoB needing to die the Wizard is better prepared.

The Wizard is not worried about the hitpoints of his group-mates, their buffs, pets... He's there for a single reason: blowing creatures into a thousand pixels. He's not dedicating his manna to any other purpose, other than a few roots more for personal safety than anything.

A smart Wizard plays almost like a Cleric. Tossing out nukes here and there when appropriate, but really saving his manna for when shit hits the fan and a certain MoB or MoB's need to be killed as soon as possible.

Best stun-lockers in the game after Paladins/Clerics too!

Just two different playstyles, not very easy to compare.

How do you avoid saving your mana for when shit hits the fan and blowing your entire load in resists on the red pull that needed to be burned fast?

indiscriminate_hater
04-04-2017, 11:04 PM

Haven't seen someone this rustled in ages, good work Lance. Regardless, I think we can all agree that both of these classes are pretty worthless

Darkatar
04-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Only if they have an epic. Druid probably has an easier time if they have a VP robe or VS legs which are likely easier to attain.

I like being able to move while stoning, clicky regen+fungi+potg is nicer than having to sit still still and spam click.