PDA

View Full Version : What made Red fun?

Dulu
02-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Been playing off and on in this dead, shitty box for a long time.

What made this server and it's ruleset fun?

I'm trying to come up with a description of it for people I play with, but everything I say, I get a response like "That sounds awful." and "Are you mentally ill?" or most curious of all, "Why?"

georgie
02-26-2017, 09:51 PM
P much drugs

Pseudechis
02-26-2017, 11:41 PM
The people,

Red has probably the most amusing community ive seen yet, regardless of all the garbage that has happened the people here will always bring a smile to your face.

drugs

entruil
02-26-2017, 11:43 PM
this game is fun, play it and lns, don't bother pullin,baggin, or trainin ... literally just enjoy the carebears and stare a bit while you lns to a new underutilized location and watch the xp fly...

Do you think if lns was removed and item loot was added and yt was gone and server ooc was gone and xp bonus was stripped to barely none-nada it would be good for PvP?(not specifically red server)...

Wrench
02-27-2017, 12:12 AM
this game is fun, play it and lns, don't bother pullin,baggin, or trainin ... literally just enjoy the carebears and stare a bit while you lns to a new underutilized location and watch the xp fly...

Do you think if lns was removed and item loot was added and yt was gone and server ooc was gone and xp bonus was stripped to barely none-nada it would be good for PvP?(not specifically red server)...

drugs?

Xaanka
02-27-2017, 12:32 AM
The people,

Red has probably the most amusing community ive seen yet, regardless of all the garbage that has happened the people here will always bring a smile to your face.

thats the worst part

Beastagoog
02-27-2017, 01:26 AM
P much drugs

Pretty much this + the awkward personalities trying so hard 2 be sum1.

necro316
02-27-2017, 03:30 AM
griefing noobs

killing people with less gear than me and making fun of them in OOC

spamming OOC

and the uncontested raiding

those only reasons i played, oh, and the people in my guild, Empire had the best crew of any game/server ever

AzzarTheGod
02-27-2017, 04:02 AM
Drugs.

but everything fandy said too

Tassador
02-27-2017, 07:47 AM
griefing noobs

killing people with less gear than me and making fun of them in OOC

spamming OOC

and the uncontested raiding

those only reasons i played, oh, and the people in my guild, Empire had the best crew of any game/server ever

Agree with this fandango guy besides the Ooc banter. Tells much more revealing. People threaten lives over eq deaths. Lol

derpcake
02-27-2017, 09:42 AM
getting a pvp kill in inferior gear

winning group skirmish pvp for a camp

being a newb, losing 14pp to ballstomper, only to be given a free port and 100pp from Casey, pras his name

being a 4% RA raider in empire and still obtaining stuff that previously was out of reach

jibekenns genuine disbelief that someone on r99 has a job

Eunomia telling me she'd ban me for suggesting she speak to people involved in a petition (fun way to let go of the server in an easy way)

thats about it

derpcake
02-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Running around unrest with the first level 20 epic rogue

ah yes

hows the recruitment going

Qtip
02-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Between your rogue in unrest and chewie in Lguk is what made the game fun for me lvling up a couple toons. The element of surprise when you pull 3-4 mobs and chewie logs in and starts fearing all the mobs you have aggro on.

Heebo
02-27-2017, 12:03 PM
My favorite part of red is knowing all of the personal details of everyone on such a small box (Elemtal's apartment being invested with rats, Quil being physically abused by a woman and posting it to Facebook, Akinn being 5'3" and shopping for clothes in the children's department, etc.) so that when you kill somebody you know exactly what sort of RL attack to use on them in ooc.

Jazzy
02-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Best thing about r99 was the community

Gustoo
02-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Lol good posts

Retticus
02-27-2017, 01:01 PM
What made red fun was every zone having people in it. When people had similar gear, before raid content was on farm.

It was at its peak in classic: highest pop + several guilds + least amount of zones + classic gear disparity isn't a huge jump.

It was in its "mid-fun" early kunark: population resurgence + several guilds + new continent of zones. This era introduced twinks, but they weren't running rampant. Group farming could compete with raid farmers.

It was at its least fun in velious: only 1 raiding guild and very low to no ability to contest, purely PvE progress. Gear disparity at its greatest. Gear farmers cannot compete with raid farmers (unless you just want to spend 12 hours looking for people running to raids and alone).

The end of kunark was a Baron wasteland of alt farming. Velious put the nails in the coffin and solidified the box as a non social PvE paradise. PvP is mostly dead and one sided and time investment is huge.

TLDR red/PvP is fun when there are multiple guilds able to do the same stuff, or there is large enough population to support all level ranges, IE thriving newbie zones, mid level dungeons like guk. It's not fun anymore because that statement doesn't apply any more.

Tassador
02-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Mad props for the unrest county police. You did some good work there.

derpcake
02-27-2017, 02:21 PM
What made red fun was every zone having people in it. When people had similar gear, before raid content was on farm.

It was at its peak in classic: highest pop + several guilds + least amount of zones + classic gear disparity isn't a huge jump.

It was in its "mid-fun" early kunark: population resurgence + several guilds + new continent of zones. This era introduced twinks, but they weren't running rampant. Group farming could compete with raid farmers.

It was at its least fun in velious: only 1 raiding guild and very low to no ability to contest, purely PvE progress. Gear disparity at its greatest. Gear farmers cannot compete with raid farmers (unless you just want to spend 12 hours looking for people running to raids and alone).

The end of kunark was a Baron wasteland of alt farming. Velious put the nails in the coffin and solidified the box as a non social PvE paradise. PvP is mostly dead and one sided and time investment is huge.

TLDR red/PvP is fun when there are multiple guilds able to do the same stuff, or there is large enough population to support all level ranges, IE thriving newbie zones, mid level dungeons like guk. It's not fun anymore because that statement doesn't apply any more.

Mistmoore was fun for a long time, even without guild involvement.

Its too bad people keep going for the high end, the mid game is so much more fun.

Jazzy
02-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Would personally donate 13 bucks to rogean if he setup a classic box from scratch

Gustoo
02-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Classic better times. Slower exp better because there is nothing extra fun at the very top

Gustoo
02-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Enable item loot so there is a reason to fight twinks.

Qtip
02-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Enable item loot so there is a reason to fight twinks.

Item loot means we have the same 100-200 people playing. If the server ran on a classic timeline, you would see very little twinks anyway.

4 years of kunark and how ever long classic lasted for = tons of twinks and cry babies quitting.

Gustoo
02-27-2017, 05:17 PM
In classic only all the best stuff would be maximum charmed and even things like cof are not game breaking. With loot most of this stuff would be moving around so much that it would be ultra cheap to gear up a character. On good era rallos basically everything but the best weapons were cheap.

heartbrand
02-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Lower Guk

Rhuobhe
02-27-2017, 05:38 PM
i always thought the personalities here were amusing

Heebo
02-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Thunderdome has a lot of cool people, with the exception of cutter ( quit? ) and heebo , ultra socially awkward individual.

The fact you would even list any RL stuff here should warrant a ban.

http://i.imgur.com/pWUf2yy.png

Beastagoog
02-27-2017, 05:55 PM
I think one of the funniest things I ever heard on TS was when what we shall call "x-player" was talking about his mad respect for "y-player".

Sayin' how he has so much respect for him coz he wanted a million plat in the bank so he went out and got it, as if spending years of your life farming a 100-200pop box is some huge life achievement hahaha. I was literally wiping laughing tears away from my eyes like that laughing crying emoji.

The 2nd was when Quido was on TS big talkin' about something while people shared his goat videos around in PMs ahahaha

Ah jeez.

God bless you all, if you havin' a rough day spend 15 mins on red99 and you realize your life aint that bad after all.

AzzarTheGod
02-27-2017, 06:14 PM
I think one of the funniest things I ever heard on TS was when what we shall call "x-player" was talking about his mad respect for "y-player".

Sayin' how he has so much respect for him coz he wanted a million plat in the bank so he went out and got it, as if spending years of your life farming a 100-200pop box is some huge life achievement hahaha. I was literally wiping laughing tears away from my eyes like that laughing crying emoji.

The 2nd was when Quido was on TS big talkin' about something while people shared his goat videos around in PMs ahahaha

Ah jeez.

God bless you all, if you havin' a rough day spend 15 mins on red99 and you realize your life aint that bad after all.

lol'd hard at first recounting

Ragnaros
02-27-2017, 06:16 PM
moppin em up

Keykey
02-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Eunomia telling me she'd ban me for suggesting she speak to people involved in a petition (fun way to let go of the server in an easy way)

You've brought up Eunomia 8 times since I left the server. Someone is mad.

What character? Anyone feel free to offer a character name(s)

I kept logs too. I'll be glad to pull the conversation(s) for all to see. If I threatened a ban (or a suspension), it was no ordinary conversation.

Derpcake quotes:

09-12-2016, 11:04 AM "I quit reporting boxers shortly after Eunomia told me she'd ban me if I pressed the issue."

07-21-2016, 02:07 PM "i gave up on reporting boxers after i tried to insist Eunomia look into an obvious boxer and she told me she'd suspend me for pressing the issue, i had to put in a petition "

05-30-2016, 01:06 PM "i nearly quit when someone ninjaed the first big drop i won in a group, after which Eunomia got very mad at me for expecting her to act, even speak to players, while i hadn't taken the effort to run fraps"

05-11-2016, 12:32 PM "thats funny, I got along with Deru also, Eunomia, well, lets not go there."

04-27-2016, 12:21 PM "after i got an item ninjaed, lady Eunomia told me she'd ban me after I humbly suggested she'd speak to the people involved"

04-07-2016, 07:41 AM "i barely play here when i was new to the server some guy in group ninjaed a 10k item which i won seems like absolutely zero effort was done from staff side to resolve it, in fact when i suggested eunomia to speak to the parties involved, she told me she'd ban me if i pressed the issue"

10-08-2015, 11:11 AM "i once got told of for telling eunomia the boxer i had reported several times was at it again
i quit petitioning
shortly after quit playing"

derpcake
02-27-2017, 06:24 PM

What character? Anyone feel free to offer a character name(s)

I kept logs too. I'll be glad to pull the conversation(s) for all to see. If I threatened a ban (or a suspension), it was no ordinary conversation.

Derpcake quotes:

09-12-2016, 11:04 AM "I quit reporting boxers shortly after Eunomia told me she'd ban me if I pressed the issue."

07-21-2016, 02:07 PM "i gave up on reporting boxers after i tried to insist Eunomia look into an obvious boxer and she told me she'd suspend me for pressing the issue, i had to put in a petition "

05-30-2016, 01:06 PM "i nearly quit when someone ninjaed the first big drop i won in a group, after which Eunomia got very mad at me for expecting her to act, even speak to players, while i hadn't taken the effort to run fraps"

05-11-2016, 12:32 PM "thats funny, I got along with Deru also, Eunomia, well, lets not go there."

04-27-2016, 12:21 PM "after i got an item ninjaed, lady Eunomia told me she'd ban me after I humbly suggested she'd speak to the people involved"

04-07-2016, 07:41 AM "i barely play here when i was new to the server some guy in group ninjaed a 10k item which i won seems like absolutely zero effort was done from staff side to resolve it, in fact when i suggested eunomia to speak to the parties involved, she told me she'd ban me if i pressed the issue"

10-08-2015, 11:11 AM "i once got told of for telling eunomia the boxer i had reported several times was at it again
i quit petitioning
shortly after quit playing"

Glad someone is keeping track.

Keep it up.

oricalum
02-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Lol. Heebo with the fucking smack down broke his back win.

bubur
02-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Xp bonus on pve

derpcake
02-27-2017, 06:26 PM

u didn't do squat worth back when i gave you details, why would i bother now right

check your fucking logs i guess

Keykey
02-27-2017, 06:52 PM
u didn't do squat worth back when i gave you details, why would i bother now right

check your fucking logs i guess

For entertainment purposes?

What character name(s)?

Ames1
02-27-2017, 10:47 PM

lol

Fame
02-28-2017, 01:43 AM
BRING BACK RED DAWN

Swish
02-28-2017, 05:33 AM
BRING BACK RED DAWN

best guild i was in here

Swish
02-28-2017, 05:34 AM

That has to be a record lol

Salaryman
02-28-2017, 08:12 AM
red fun because of players selling dragon treasure for amphetamines and threatening peoples families over the internet.

Swish
02-28-2017, 10:16 AM
red fun because of players selling dragon treasure for amphetamines and threatening peoples families over the internet.

:D

(don't forget stealing items)

SamwiseRed
02-28-2017, 01:24 PM

tomato will always be steaks to me. hero wood elf warrior exploiting mobs in water during the classic grind.

Heebo
02-28-2017, 01:43 PM

The tomato man is definitely unstable but that's by no means a record. Harrison, Cast, Greengrocer would all have him beat handily.

Gustoo
02-28-2017, 02:41 PM
I likef when there were a lot of players on beta and I kept getting chased down by the all barbarian guild on my bard

Llandris
02-28-2017, 02:46 PM

You ain't seen nothin

Gustoo
02-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Woah guide post our existence is validated! Rays of light shining down from the heavens!

Gustoo
02-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Im thinking discord or classic only rallos99 is imminent. Good times ahead

Heebo
02-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Weird

oricalum
02-28-2017, 04:41 PM
lawl.

AzzarTheGod
02-28-2017, 06:06 PM
You ain't seen nothin

*daps fist* was wondering who's post disappeared from another thread, because the post order and thread alignment was altered.

was giving me fits trying to figure it out.

Beastagoog
02-28-2017, 06:12 PM

lol this is pretty funny

Sear
02-28-2017, 06:58 PM
The first few months of the server were the closest this ever came to being fun, when there were actually players in the zones + pvp was an option without a 200+ hour barrier to entry of grinding levels/gear/keys.

Even then, the R99 launch was marred by the [unnecessary] custom resist system being a complete mess and crippling classes that were already weak in vanilla.

If they ever relaunch this thing, it'd probably go much smoother w/ the positive changes (to resists, exp rate, chat, etc) that have been made since then. I think it was rushed out of beta testing back in 2011 and didn't get a proper launch. I don't have to tell you guys how damaging that can be for the long-term prospects of a MMO (see: Vanguard) - even an emulated one. I checked out a few months in after I was tired of waiting for someone to change the five lines of code in spells.cpp so I could play a version of Everquest where I wasn't perma-rooted by an earth pet while wearing full resist gear.

Gustoo
02-28-2017, 07:29 PM
Yeah all custom aspects of server were a disaster from ruleset to resists they were flat out bummers all the time. Bad custom setup. Needs straight rallos zek and good launch. Beta was out forever but no changes were ever made and then they launched it while I was still waiting to test out changes in beta. So weird.

Then go and ban a couple of biggest guilds and set server into dark ages x2

AzzarTheGod
02-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Rays of light shining down from the heavens!

drugs

Doctor Jeff
02-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Real answer in troll thread: My favorite thing to do was always hanging out in like mistmoore with some mild resist gear and helping people level, and then when a twink would come I would convince them to group up and try to kill him. Pop was around 300ish at that time and you could easily have 3 or even 4 groups in mistmoore.

Sear
02-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Yeah all custom aspects of server were a disaster from ruleset to resists they were flat out bummers all the time. Bad custom setup. Needs straight rallos zek and good launch. Beta was out forever but no changes were ever made and then they launched it while I was still waiting to test out changes in beta. So weird.

I would have had no problem helping beta test if I hadn't been working 60+ hour weeks at the time.

I could understand the "well, you didn't help us test it, so deal with it" response we got from the staff, but there's no point in assigning blame for a bad launch. It was what it was. The first year or two of the server ended up being an extended beta. It's just unfortunate that a substantial number of players had the first impression of a server that was still WIP and probably haven't bothered playing since then.

If the server in its current state had launched back in 2011, I think it would have had a better chance of keeping momentum and retaining more players.

Krieger
02-28-2017, 08:26 PM
drugs

AzzarTheGod
02-28-2017, 09:29 PM
i took 30 days n 30 nights over some bullshit post i had made 2 weeks ago that wasn't even bumped.

llandris aint playing fair on the racism bans. some nerd must have reported it

Tassador
02-28-2017, 09:48 PM
Yeah I never been banned I have a shit load of forum accounts. I use to do the starting on red trolls man those were great. Always would get these long winded posts on what to do and where to go. Also always got like 2k in items from Andian. Server to ez

Swish
02-28-2017, 10:34 PM
how autistic do you have to be to reg 700 accounts, guess how many forum accounts i have? 1

hehe

Retticus
03-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Red has been a very long beta test. Several things proven to not work but changes never happened. A relaunch or a fresh start with the knowledge from "beta" would be a lot more successful

fan D
03-04-2017, 08:50 PM
the funnest part of red was the raiding

http://i.imgur.com/jWulto1.jpg

fan D
03-05-2017, 10:44 PM
thats what happens when you raid so long you get constipated