PDA

View Full Version : P99 on retro machine win98 DSETUP.DLL error

A1rh3ad
02-22-2017, 02:47 AM
I got my retro machine with CRT monitor running windows and dos games. I assumed it would run p99 seeing as the titanium client runs on windows 98. I guess I was wrong because the bat file says Dsetup.dll requires a newer operating system. Is there any way around this? I was really looking forward to adding classic eq with all the classic ui and everything to my retro machine. Such a shame. If anyone knows a work around please let me know. This was such a let down.

A1rh3ad
02-22-2017, 03:01 AM
I read that it has to do with their anticheat software. I guess I'm sol. I'd rather have no cheaters than play on my time machine. I guess its back to daggerfall

A1rh3ad
02-22-2017, 07:20 AM
find the root directory and reconfigure the trunk link to multicast ssl hyperthreaded packets

Any guide on exactly how to do that? What kind of file would that configuration be in and is it boolean value within it?

P99Druid
02-22-2017, 08:06 AM
I guess I'm getting old now since I'm not sure if hes trolling you or thats a legit thing you can do to fix it.

A1rh3ad
02-22-2017, 08:31 AM
I guess I'm getting old now since I'm not sure if hes trolling you or thats a legit thing you can do to fix it.

Aww figured as much. I thought he may have been on to something but it did sound somewhat bs. Im going to grab another pata drive and put xp on it so I can boot in xp when I want to play eq. Hopefully it has decent midi playback because windows 10's is god aweful.

Swish
02-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Maybe it needs Win98 second edition? I know that was a big jump for a lot of games

Izmael
02-22-2017, 08:45 AM
find the root directory and reconfigure the trunk link to multicast ssl hyperthreaded packets

This did the trick for me, however I also had to globally reposition the probe satellite by reverting the plasma phase in order to shift the entropy magnitude.

Literally took a couple minutes!

A1rh3ad
02-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Maybe it needs Win98 second edition? I know that was a big jump for a lot of games

It is SE. The problem is they piggyback their spyware in the dsetup.dll. Its how they catch cheaters and why antivirus flags it for suspicious activity. I can replace it with the official dsetup.dll just fine but when I get to the server it gives me an error as if I didnt have the proper spell files.

Tupakk
02-22-2017, 03:31 PM
You answered your own question. SE isnt the problem its your AV software. Make an exception for the folder or the specific file your choice.

A1rh3ad
02-22-2017, 04:42 PM
You answered your own question. SE isnt the problem its your AV software. Make an exception for the folder or the specific file your choice.

No its not av. The file is there just in its altered state it is no longer compatible with windows 98. If I remove the file I get a different error during initiating the bat file saying that the file is missing. When I replace it with the official unaltered dsetup.dll or dsetup23.dll I am greeted with an error after login saying that the spell files are outdated.

Tupakk
02-22-2017, 05:05 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=5720

Try this then.

or this

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20742

A1rh3ad
02-22-2017, 07:36 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=5720

Try this then.

or this

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20742

It has 9c installed. Its not a dx problem despite dsetup.dll being the dll file for dx. Its where p99 hides their anti cheat spyware that reads your memory. Their software isn't compatible with windows98. As I said the game launches just fine running the unaltered dll from the directx installer but their server detects the missing software and gives an error after login.

Zaela
02-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Altered dsetup.dll most likely links against one of Microsoft's C/C++ libraries ("msvc redistributable") from long after they stopped supporting win98. Depends on the compiler the devs use, essentially. For comparison, winXP was no longer supported by default with MS's 2012 compiler (iirc).

Lobby the devs to dig up an ancient compiler, make any tweaks necessary to the code for compatibility, and go out of their way to compile a special version of dsetup.dll every patch just for you. That is your only option short of logging in on another server instead.