PDA

View Full Version : Coming back after 15 years, Need some UPDATES PLZ!!

nimamage
02-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Hello Fellow EQers!

So I'm coming after 15 long years and very excited to feel the nostalgia again!! I was wondering are there enough players on the server to find groups? Or do I need to create a character that can solo all the way? I love the social aspect of EQ and I hope it's still there.. Also, at the higher levels, are there consistent raids? Are there active guilds that do raids? Are there lower level characters in the server that I can group with or is everyone already high level?

I appreciate it :)

jackd104
02-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Yes to all your questions. Come on in!

Bordar
02-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Don't do it... It will only cause your life distress and ruin.

Expediency
02-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Population at all levels is healthy. People tend to stick more to certain zones for leveling than I remember on live but there will always be people your level online. Pick a "group friendly" class if you dont want to solo.

The biggest change between here and 2000 live imo is that here the players are 100x more educated about eq and mechanics. On live we were figuring it all out, here it is well figured out down to the nth degree.

This is the best everquest experience you will find on the internet 1-59. The server is very friendly to new players, tons of low level equipment on the market, and there are leveling guilds to join.

At the top end of raiding it is cutthroat and most raids are done when the mob spawns, not when you schedule the raid.

NuanImproved
02-20-2017, 01:15 AM
I've found there a surprising amount of brand new players on the server, FYI.

There are also tons of established players with hoards of elite and expensive pixels, but I'm pretty amazed by how many fresh starters there are all the time. Twinks are common, but not as ubiquitous as you'd think. Welcome :)

B4EQWASCOOL
02-20-2017, 03:07 AM
no change

nimamage
02-20-2017, 05:20 AM
Thanks everyone!

Torin_Stormchaser
02-20-2017, 06:09 PM
I just got back on after a 6 year hiatus and yeah. 6 years ago there was a really healthy server. Groups galore, new players, old players, raiding guilds, and I've seen that it's all still here.
Welcome back to Norrath!

Sonark
02-21-2017, 05:24 AM
On the whole, I've found the experience fairly satisfying.

I still play on Live, because I have a level 101 Monk and there's lots to do on Live top end, but leveling up and experiencing EverQuest?

p99 is the way to go on that front.

*sigh* but I won't stop missing my twinkage.

SpyritDarksong
02-21-2017, 09:15 AM
I had been looking into P1999 also since I was a beta tester in 1998 (I think it was) and then played for many years. I left shortly after Kunarak was released.

I made a new account on the "Live" servers and wanted to play again, and it starts you in a cave. VERY disappointing, now at level 6 STILL in this cave. Is 1999 like the original? Barbarians starting in the Snowy Mountains, Trolls in Fearott? ETC? I might consider paying the ridiculous prices to get the box set if I know WHERE I will start and if it will be like old days.

mgriff02
02-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Everything's as close to original EQ as possible. Zones all have their original textures. You start off in your newbie city with a weapon, a note, and no idea what to do.

SoekiWiz
02-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Don't do it... It will only cause your life distress and ruin.

In the words of Captain Jack Sparrow...

Run.

jakerees
02-21-2017, 04:08 PM
I had been looking into P1999 also since I was a beta tester in 1998 (I think it was) and then played for many years. I left shortly after Kunarak was released.

I made a new account on the "Live" servers and wanted to play again, and it starts you in a cave. VERY disappointing, now at level 6 STILL in this cave. Is 1999 like the original? Barbarians starting in the Snowy Mountains, Trolls in Fearott? ETC? I might consider paying the ridiculous prices to get the box set if I know WHERE I will start and if it will be like old days.

You don't have to start in the cave tutorial on the live servers.

I wouldn't get too invested in p99. Recently stopped playing on here because I didn't want to put in all the time to level up into the 50s only to get caught up in the toxic raid scene here. You can still give yourself a good eq experience starting from scratch on live and forgoing the tutorial and all the quick and easy high experience quests they give to newbies to level them up quicker; all for free.

teai
02-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Felt like I was playing for the first time again. Amazing server, and what really makes p99 shine is the excellent community.

1-45 (my highest so far) has only been a great experience. I even had a bard apologize for almost training me, then just invited me to group for a few pulls.

Feel very good whenever I roll an alt and see randoms just buffing new players and being friendly. Its nice.

As far as Titanium Box Set. Do not buy overpriced original box sets. If you are having a hard time locating a copy please send me a PM when you can, i have access to lots of discs

Sonark
02-21-2017, 09:42 PM

I made a new account on the "Live" servers and wanted to play again, and it starts you in a cave. VERY disappointing, now at level 6 STILL in this cave. Is 1999 like the original? Barbarians starting in the Snowy Mountains, Trolls in Fearott? ETC? I might consider paying the ridiculous prices to get the box set if I know WHERE I will start and if it will be like old days.You can skip the tutorial dungeon, which the game starts you off in if you don't click off that option during character creation, but if you do it you get some decent gear for the level (though nothing approaching a decent weapon) and can get to 15 in really not very long at all.

But unless you have an actual subscription, your home city will be Crescent Reach, the new Drakkin race home city. Which...isn't an issue, really, especially since if you don't have maps. you can easily get them.

Expediency
02-21-2017, 10:19 PM
P99 owns and is the best/most classic eq experience on the internet right now 1-59. If you are a new player many people will be nice and help you, flat out tell them you are new. The game looks and plays exactly like you remember during kunark/velious. Raiding rules are different here than live, but the toxicity is a more on the forums than on the server. The forums are full of people who dont play here anymore, but love to troll or trash p99. sort of like this guy, who didnt even try raiding but was somehow expert enough to recommend you move on:

I wouldn't get too invested in p99. Recently stopped playing on here because I didn't want to put in all the time to level up into the 50s only to get caught up in the toxic raid scene here..

Expediency
02-21-2017, 10:24 PM

All that is here. Barbs start in everfrost (hardest newb zone in game) trolls are in ferrott, etc. You dont have to buy that box set either, there are people in this thread who have offered to help you if you PM them. Odds are you already paid retail price once for eq/kunark/velious 15 years ago, no reason to buy it again.

I dont even know what cave you are talking about, that sounds awful. There are no mounts here, no AAs, no bazaar, no port books, level 60 cap, this is 2001 everquest. Try it!

SpyritDarksong
02-22-2017, 10:22 AM
The cave I was referring to is the Tutorial I found out. Just waiting for my discs to get here. Think I am as excited to start again as the OP of this thread. :)

fadetree
02-22-2017, 03:37 PM
The cave is some weird tutorial zone they added a while back. Like everything else they did, it sucks. P99 is everything you remember in all it's glory. Don't worry about the 'toxic raid scene', I have several 50+ chars and am not bothered by it at all. I go on occasional raids, and I have no interest in 'competing' to get the very best gear in all slots. I like to play, not work.

Skinned
02-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Tons of players of all levels...even when I'm sitting on my wizard I get tells asking if I want to join a group and wiz isn't the most popular class. On my shaman I can find a group 100% of the time. I'm a solo artist though.

Neko404
02-23-2017, 05:14 AM

This is correct. They kept it as close to the orginal as possible. So as a human you either star in Qeynos or Freeport. If you a Wood elf you are starting out in Faydark.

mattitude
02-24-2017, 01:00 AM
Felt like I was playing for the first time again. Amazing server, and what really makes p99 shine is the excellent community.

1-45 (my highest so far) has only been a great experience. I even had a bard apologize for almost training me, then just invited me to group for a few pulls.

Feel very good whenever I roll an alt and see randoms just buffing new players and being friendly. Its nice.

As far as Titanium Box Set. Do not buy overpriced original box sets. If you are having a hard time locating a copy please send me a PM when you can, i have access to lots of discs

Still happen to have some extra discs?? :D