PDA

View Full Version : Total EQ noobs still exist

serballin
02-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. And to give you all hope that even in 2017, people like me are still installing EQ for the first time to experience what I missed out on / read so much about. I have never played the game before so after my dissatisfaction with the current cookie-cutter state of MMOs I decided to give EQ a try.

Currently testing out F2P EQ and it seems pretty cool but I would really like to experience the challenge of Project 1999. I loaded the latter up a few days ago just to try it out and at first I was like "but there's no map!?!? wtf am I doing" but I think that I really like that aspect now (in theory, I have only played one session)

That being said, in that first session, a kind player named "Greyfox" answered some of my noob questions in the Wood Elf starting zone and gave me 100 plat just to be nice. I then proceeded to die and lost it all, which was followed by a rage-uninstall. But as I sit here at work, I'm yearning to challenge myself and load P99 back up!

I was hoping some more experienced players could help me with a few questions:

1. During my designated gaming time I noticed there was an average of about 1000 players on the P99 server. Do you think this is enough to keep me engaged and social throughout the early to mid game? Or would I be better of sticking to F2P EQ for the social aspect?

2. Are there any graphics mods (or any other mods for that matter) that I should be using? I don't really mind the graphics but a bit of a touch up would be nice if I'm to keep playing.

3. Can anyone recommend a nice UI? I found the UI of F2P EQ to be really good, so I'm hoping for something similar.

4. And finally, does anyone have any tips for getting my bearings and sense of direction? When I was in that Wood Elf starting zone, I honestly felt absolutely lost and had no idea where I was going / supposed to go / what I was doing. I realise this might be a fairly common question, hence why I would just like to know what strategies you personally employ to combat this.

Thank you and happy gaming!

whippetofspades
02-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Welcome!

1. There are more players at high levels but you should still be able find groups at lower levels too, although they're more commonly in the popular leveling areas (look at the guides section of the wiki for explanations on where these are.

2 & 3. http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130053 has info about improving the graphics, and Duxa's UI is really good (there should be a link in the thread I posted).

4. Click the EQ button which should be in the bottom left corner of your screen, go to skills, and click hold 'Sense Heading'. Put it on your actions bar, and bind it to left or right. That way, every time you turn left or right you'll automatically use your Sense Heading skill, which will improve over time and tell you which direction you're facing. Use that in combination with the maps on the wiki to find your way around.
There is also the /loc command, which will give you co-ordinates for your position in the map. Again, check them against the wiki maps to work out exactly where you are.

Good luck!

jackd104
02-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Server population is good, you won't have a lack of social interaction.
You said you died and lost 100pp. Did you know you can go back to your corpse and pick up all your items and money?
For maps you can always use all the great maps at project 1999 wiki. Up to you if you want the spoiler factor. And sense heading skill is important regardless because you can't read a map unless you know your heading.

Welcome to the game! Stick with it. It might be a difficult ramp up but once you start to master things it makes it all the more rewarding.

mgriff02
02-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Welcome to Norrath!

For starters, if your ragequit was less than a week ago then your corpse should still be there, so you can go back and loot that stuff. You'll be happy to have that 100pp back.

If you go to the popular places you'll find plenty of other people to fight and socialize with. A list of some good places to fight can be found here.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie#Where_to_Adventure

A good source for guidance at all levels is the wiki. It contains maps (!) and guides and walkthroughs for tradeskills, quests, and just about everything else.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

EQ gives very little guidance, and it's mostly left to the player to decide what they want to do at any given point in time. As a newbie you're mostly going to focus on fighting low level mobs and looting stuff from them to sell. Most stuff is just vendor fodder, but some select items (like high quality pelts, spider silk, spiderling silk, and bone chips) are much more profitable to sell to other players.

serballin
02-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, appreciate the assistance. I previously had no idea about the sense heading skill so I am especially thankful for that.

I will do my best to be more committed to the game the second time around. To that end, it's Friday afternoon where I live (Aus) and I've only got one thing on my mind tonight!

Suggestions for starting races/classes with interesting lore / start zones are also very welcome.

EQBallzz
02-17-2017, 02:10 AM
Installing EQ > playing one session > dying/losing corpse > rage quitting. Congratulations. You just had your first classic EQ experience to fondly remember or retell laterw. Now get it re-installed and overcome the other many challenges EQ has in store for you. ;)