PDA

View Full Version : 3 mages!

Vokhine
02-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Hey Guys,

My friends and I recently decided to make a team of 3 mages for fun. I was just curious if any of you had any tips or tricks for this set up. What kind of pets do you think would be optimal? I've heard that stacking air pets can keep the enemy stunned. So far water has been pretty solid with the two of us but we just added a third and wondered if they should just follow suit or change it up. :p

Cheers!

Lojik
02-10-2017, 12:13 PM
I would think 3x air would be pretty good...3x fire pet could be pretty good too? whichever pet is taking a beating just have them back off a bit.

Nuggie
02-10-2017, 01:13 PM
get 3 more, indestructible

maskedmelon
02-10-2017, 01:39 PM
I dunno why, but there not many who actually pursue a magé trois like this. It can be super fun as you and your friends are learning. I actually joined one while leveling one of my characters and was surprised at how smooth it was. I would recommend water pets for dmg. Can be handy to have one earth for cc, but depending on experience level it may not be all that necessary. I highly recommend securing focus items though for maximum enjoyment. They'll make your pets more effective at their jobs and make them much bigger too ^^

Jimjam
02-10-2017, 02:29 PM
I think 4 mages would be best! Each using exclusively spells themed to his or her element!

mickmoranis
02-10-2017, 04:02 PM
It would be rad if this thread evolved into a <guild of only mages> tag that like eventually were rolling through p99 with like 60 mages and nothing else.

prc018100
02-10-2017, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't recommend air. The stun isn't really that reliable and earth pet + root is generally just better. Fire is nice at lower levels with the free ds. 50+ it's pretty much the highest level pet you have available except fire pet because fire pets 50+ suck. Most people use the 51 earth pet or 57 earth pet to exp. The extra Hps are just too hard to pass up and the root is nice for CC.

When doing a group of mages, just let your pets die and resummon. Don't bother healing your pets. It's generally cheaper to just resummon and cast burnout again. Also, you can play around with turning taunt off and see if you can get the mob to switch pets if one is low, but generally it doesn't work very well. Most likely, the higher level pet summoned will take the hits.

I highly recommend doing CoM upstairs once you get 50+. Was really good xp and easy to get 1-2 mobs a pull. And you can chain pet kill Neh Ashir for your epic torch while your there.

dafier
02-10-2017, 04:16 PM
A while back I talked about doing an all mage event in Kael.

People should do that. Show up with level 60 mages, MS2 or MS3 and let loose from WL zone line all the way in to the arena. That would be so much fun.

EDIT:
Any mage that has Thurg/Kael/SS legs just DS everything for free. That way all mages just need to Summon and BO4/BO3 only.

gprater
02-10-2017, 04:21 PM
the air pet will most likely steal aggro....so if all 3 are air then it might bounce around

prc018100
02-10-2017, 04:35 PM
the air pet will most likely steal aggro....so if all 3 are air then it might bounce around

You actually want the dmg to bounce around so one person isn't constantly re-summoning pets and running OOM. This happens alot when one guy in the group has a higher level pet spell. Like if 2 of you are 38 with lvl 34 pets and 1 is 39 with the new 39 pets, he will likely pull agro with his pet the whole time and constantly be re-summoning. The good news is that with 3 pets you will slaughter stuff pretty fast and it won't really matter.

As for the air pet, I would only use them when fighting caster mobs. Even then, the hps on the earth pet is often more helpful to outlive the massive caster spell dmg.

maskedmelon
02-10-2017, 04:56 PM
I think 4 mages would be best! Each using exclusively spells themed to his or her element!

This a good suggestion too, but if you gonna do this, i suggest also adding a bard (preferably of Erolisi Mar) for heart, then you have all the elements ^^

Shodo
02-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Unless you're fighting a lot of mobs with annoying spells (like big AEs, knockbacks etc) you'd probably be better off using fire pets over air. Mob's target will get hit with the nasty DS and their nukes should still keep aggro bouncing around to distribute the damage. If you're just grinding through dark blue mobs the aggro distribution should be more than enough to counteract the fire pet's low hp. Throw in one earth pet as needed for extra safety.

Lune
02-10-2017, 05:06 PM
This a good suggestion too, but if you gonna do this, i suggest also adding a bard (preferably of Erolisi Mar) for heart, then you have all the elements ^^

Naw son

4 mages, 4 elements.
Enchanter or bard is heart

Druid = captain planet, taking pollution down to zero, defending nature & whatnot.

skarlorn
02-10-2017, 05:35 PM

:)

Cecily
02-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Naw son

4 mages, 4 elements.
Enchanter or bard is heart

Druid = captain planet, taking pollution down to zero, defending nature & whatnot.

Well we finally figured out the best full group composition in 2017. Can pull the plug now.

Shodo
02-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Well we finally figured out the best full group composition in 2017. Can pull the plug now.

+1

Swish
02-11-2017, 01:28 AM
4 COTH bots, that's the end game...I always wanted to level a mage to 60 but I was a wizard on live, some lines just aren't crossed :p

lurk
02-11-2017, 02:11 AM
All mage groups/raids are the best. Out of era but on live i had a chat channel set up for mage groups. We did dain, vindi and statue easy with at most 12. I think 4 on dain was the least. A new pet is half the mana of CH and a mob can only kill one pet at a time. As long as theres no AE then theres no limit to a mage group.

Air is best if stun lands.

Vokhine
02-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Wow thanks for the theory crafting mates! What focus item do you think I should grab first. I was told the torch in game.

Vexenu
02-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Wow thanks for the theory crafting mates! What focus item do you think I should grab first. I was told the torch in game.

The Torch is the best focus item for leveling, definitely get it first.

As to your group, I would just use four fire pets. The DS damage will be noticeable and will make already fast kills even faster. The air pets might be worth experimenting with depending on just how often they proc stun. If one of them procs every few seconds and you can ping-pong agro between the pets that will let you keep the pets up longer by spreading the tanking around. That's more mana for nukes and hastes.

Baler
02-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Torch - Power level yourself via chain summoning fire pets.

Group mage play... this has been dissected before.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248484

bktroost
02-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Be sure to toggle taunt to control aggro.