PDA

View Full Version : New server

Kelor
02-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Would we see same numbers as Uthgard if they released green server?
I have seen like 4.5k on at prime time, could server even cope with that?

Dreenk317
02-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Would we see same numbers as Uthgard if they released green server?
I have seen like 4.5k on at prime time, could server even cope with that?

Keep in mind, this is uthgards population after doing a complete server wipe and being offline for what? Two years? And people say people won't come back after a wipe.... It more than doubled uthgards population.... Wipe/reset/roll new server and make p99 fun again imo.

loramin
02-07-2017, 08:13 PM
EDIT: Mixed up my emulated servers, thanks for the correction Danth.

Danth
02-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Uthgard is a Dark Age of Camelot server, not World of Warcraft. As you probably know, Dark Age peaked at roughly half Everquest's peak user base.

Danth

Swish
02-07-2017, 08:55 PM
I think everyone's gagging for something fresh/new at this point...I'm still playing though :p

NegaStoat
02-07-2017, 09:11 PM
I'm one of the tinfoil hat peeps that thinks there's an agreement with Daybreak that prevents new P1999 servers from opening. As long as Daybreak continues to run progression servers and schedules new server releases, I remain a skeptic that we'll see it happen.

deathusurper
02-08-2017, 12:31 AM
If there was any sort of wipe on Blue99, I would not return to play the game, at all. On any server that was offered.

jon5hill
02-08-2017, 03:01 AM
If there was any sort of wipe on Blue99, I would not return to play the game, at all. On any server that was offered.

Easy to say that when you have an account full of gear and toons.

Swish
02-08-2017, 03:32 AM
I think wiping blue might legit cause a RL fatality or two.

Nicoladen
02-08-2017, 04:24 AM
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/december-2016-eq-producers-letter.237423/#post-3492136

I'm just speculating....

They will follow the historical patching of live EQ from vanilla to now.
P99 has all the old code up and until Luclin and Daybreak has the files from Luclin onwards.

P99 staff hired in as staff / consultants for this new server
P99 server will be shut down.

Boxing allowed - payment / subscription required per account.

I'd join in a heartbeat :D
Sign me up for 3 accounts!

deathusurper
02-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Easy to say that when you have an account full of gear and toons.

Yes, because I've spent years gearing my toons and still don't have a 60 main. I will not do it again.

fadetree
02-08-2017, 10:13 AM
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/december-2016-eq-producers-letter.237423/#post-3492136

I'm just speculating....

P99 has all the old code up and until Luclin and Daybreak has the files from Luclin onwards.

? Wth are you doing here, man. If that's what you think would be really keen you can find luclin+ and boxing on any number of servers. Anyway, P99 does not 'have the old code'. They have an EMULATION of the old code, meaning reverse engineered stuff that may or may not look anything like the actual old code.

Nicoladen
02-08-2017, 10:57 AM
? Wth are you doing here, man. If that's what you think would be really keen you can find luclin+ and boxing on any number of servers. Anyway, P99 does not 'have the old code'. They have an EMULATION of the old code, meaning reverse engineered stuff that may or may not look anything like the actual old code.

I'll enlighten you...
I'm here because this is where everyone else is...I actually like interacting with other players. Playing on a server with only 100 players would bore me.
No other server has the population p99 does.
No other server emulates classic eq the way p99 does. And yes this is an EMULATION of the old code...noone really has the old code - but this EMULATION is the closest thing to it. Whether or not the old code and the emulated code look alike is besides the point - the end product is that the world feels and looks very much like it did way back then.

kunoxs
02-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I'll enlighten you...
I'm here because this is where everyone else is...I actually like interacting with other players. Playing on a server with only 100 players would bore me.
No other server emulates classic eq the way p99 does. And yes this is an EMULATION of the old code...noone really has the old code - but this EMULATION is the closest thing to it. Whether or not the old code and the emulated code look alike is besides the point - the end product is that the world feels and looks very much like it did way back then.

This is the most bizarre confusing post...

Whirled
02-08-2017, 11:19 AM
I think wiping blue might legit cause a RL fatality or two.

If anyone cuts the cord due to loss of imaginary gains then let them purge themselves from the gene pool.
Seriously, Darwin Awards material if that happens.

NecroP99
02-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I am almost certain that Daybreak basically told P99 - "Have your fun but no more servers" and that's why discord went away and why we will never see 'Green'

Lhancelot
02-08-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm just speculating....

I am not on my PC so I can't dig it up now, but a few months ago when there was a thread about a new server, I believe Sirken responded.

He said essentially that the plan was to eventually open a new server, and follow the timeline appropriately not drag it out as blue p99 did.

I don't recall him mentioning a wipe though, and I personally doubt they would wipe blue if they started green p99 up.

It's hard to theorize how popular p99 green will be, but I suspect it would boom pretty hard with an immense starting population.

I think people who quit would come back, many that are on blue now would go to a new server, and new players who never tried eq1 also would come if they heard about it starting up.

That being said it sure would be awesome if the most toxic, greedy pixel fiending neckbeards stayed on blue where they could forever hoard their shinies and continue raiding, I mean competing for dragons.

At worst perhaps the neckbeard fiends would be split between the two PVE servers and with luck maybe that would cultivate a better more cohesive relationship between those who would like to raid top shelf mobs with the toxic population being diluted a bit.

NegaStoat
02-08-2017, 03:40 PM

As mentioned above, P1999 is absolutely not the old code of pre Luclin EQ, it's an emulation. An exceptionally good one, but not the real deal. Off the top of my head, the skeleton spawns at the fallen gear in Steamfont are off (I could stand in the center and pull 4 as a druid in tree form for ez leveling w/ regen), the greenblood zombies for the acolyte anklet quest are wrong (spawned at key points randomly, were aggro'd by roaming fish and gators so a druid or cleric questing had to keep them cleared to get the zombies), and the zone entrance elementals in the Hole are spawned incorrectly (could single pull each spawn from both sides all the way to the first stair steps down as a magician).

Others familiar with the game probably have their own pet peeves that they clearly remember, but can't outright prove due to time and loss of documentation.

As for the previously given quotes about a new server, most were delivered before the delayed Velious release. And very little has been said since, thus my being a skeptic.

Lhancelot
02-08-2017, 06:13 PM
As for the previously given quotes about a new server, most were delivered before the delayed Velious release. And very little has been said since, thus my being a skeptic.

Here's the thread Sirken mentioned the idea of a new server.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256546&page=3

What he said:

if we opened a new blue server, it would only be to have a classic server that followed the exact classic timeline (ie: no 4 years of kunark, no waiting for devs to create or fix anything, etc). It would not be for any other reason.

clacbec
02-08-2017, 10:15 PM
would

Deadlyfury
02-08-2017, 10:26 PM
so possibly a new EQ progression server? I would seriously consider that, I played on Ragefire (insta fail), then lockjaw (semi fail but still a fail) and then I missed the phinny boat which was perfect imo with the truebox rule.

Wouldn't mind trying a new server :)

meadtj
02-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Their is a lot of stuff that is way off about p99. Verant is the reason we have the term NERF and later evolved to STEALTH NERF because of their failure to communicate changes to major things on the server. That being said p99 is the closest we will ever have to the original game, as much as I would like to see some of the stealth nerfed items / quest back in game, it just can't be because their is little documentation about things.

For instance, plane of mischief did not work on live till luclin... Everything in the entire zone dropped NOTHING. They actually did a stealth FIX on the zone and pretended like it was never broken. Some things like that are better left unfixed.

Also the first ever avatar of war was killed by charming GIANTS to TANK him and the giants had complete heal chains on them. This was due to a bug with pets having too much taunt power. You wanna know how I know? I was there with the first group to ever kill AoW. He was supposed to be unkillable before luclin, verant said it was designed to be that way. After the bug was fixed he was not killed till AA's were released.

meadtj
02-09-2017, 12:37 AM

I'm just speculating....

Its a crazy theory but in this day and age of web technology this would be easy to pull off. All that would have to happen is the day Loclin went live they would just migrate the characters from 1 server to another

And honestly i think it would be awesome if p99 staff were hired by day break to help pull it off. I would be ok paying daybreak if they hosted it as it is here.

Capybara
02-09-2017, 01:03 AM
If they do a server wipe down the rode (and I hope they do) they better make sure everything is 100% stable and ALL known bugs are fixed. Not just when the servers launches, but as it progresses to Kunark and Velious. This includes accurate item nerfing/buffing (to match live) and trade skill changes as the world progresses.

I'm also shooting myself in the foot for saying this, but readding class experience penalties would be a nice touch.

[Edit] - On the plus side i'll get to roll that dark elf enchanter I've always wanted to play!

Swish
02-09-2017, 01:50 AM
If they do a server wipe down the rode (and I hope they do) they better make sure everything is 100% stable and ALL known bugs are fixed. Not just when the servers launches, but as it progresses to Kunark and Velious. This includes accurate item nerfing/buffing (to match live) and trade skill changes as the world progresses.

I'm also shooting myself in the foot for saying this, but readding class experience penalties would be a nice touch.

[Edit] - On the plus side i'll get to roll that dark elf enchanter I've always wanted to play!

Yeah if we had a new server starting from the beginning of vanilla you'd have hybrid penalties back for sure. Rangers will be ousted once again :p

Capybara
02-09-2017, 03:07 AM
Yeah if we had a new server starting from the beginning of vanilla you'd have hybrid penalties back for sure. Rangers will be ousted once again :p

Somethings got to keep everyone from rolling a Troll Shadow Knight.

Swish
02-09-2017, 03:23 AM
Got mine to 43 before deciding I just couldn't do it anymore :(

Baa
02-09-2017, 03:59 AM
My DE SK has been level 35 since 2010 - having re geared him 3 times and never had it in me to get out of hell.

Makes for one sexy tunnel mule though!

fadetree
02-09-2017, 11:24 AM
I'll enlighten you...

My point was you seemed to think they could just squeeze the emulation code and daybreaks code together to reform an original eq with daybreaks stuff in it. It doesn't work like that.

deezy
02-09-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm one of the tinfoil hat peeps that thinks there's an agreement with Daybreak that prevents new P1999 servers from opening. As long as Daybreak continues to run progression servers and schedules new server releases, I remain a skeptic that we'll see it happen.

Have you got any evidence to support your speculation? I'm fairly certain the first time green server was mentioned was several months after the SOE/Daybreak agreement.