PDA

View Full Version : Think I decided on my class but concerns about expensive spells at 50-60

supermoonbeam
02-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Shaman ! Looks fun to play and I'm excited but I've heard horror stories about how much plat you need later on. I've never been able to afford a fungi even on live so I couldn't imagine getting torpor. Should I try for a different class that won't have such a hard time ?

I've heard shaman can solo when not grouping. How gear dependant are they ? I wanted a class that would be helpful to groups but if I wanted to just root rot something while I'm reading I could.

Thanks for any help guys ! Love this community so far.

claypigeons
02-01-2017, 03:42 PM
The thing about classic EQ is that it takes so many mobs to level that you accidentally become rich. The trick is finding mobs that give decent exp and also solid money. Besides that, things you loot from normal mobs (not cash camps) end up selling well, like silks, skins, bone chips, etc.

dude
02-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Shaman is the best class in the game. although you will need wis gear (not all that expensive) because most hot spots like a shaman that can heal. I spent many hours cani / heal non stop. at 34 you can choose to leave all that behind and solo some good stuff, I have solo'd some mobs that I probably shouldn't have and they may get you down to the wire (lost pet cani to cast until your out of HP) and most of the times you will win. sometimes cani death can occur then well you lose. People in the newbie areas and every monk in the game are always happy to see you. You made a good choice for sure.

Danth
02-01-2017, 04:04 PM
I've heard shaman can solo when not grouping. How gear dependant are they ? I wanted a class that would be helpful to groups but if I wanted to just root rot something while I'm reading I could.

Shaman fits the bill for this quite nicely.

Some of the high-level Shaman spells, especially Torpor, are indeed hugely expensive so you should be aware of that. However, even without those expensive spells the Shaman performs its normal group role without difficulty and can solo quite well. You can regard the high-end spells as something to continue working toward even past level 60. At a basic level of functionality the Shaman needs basically similar gear as the other wisdom-based casters (Druid and Cleric). When folks describe the Shaman as gear-dependent they usually mean in reference to advanced strategies beyond the scope of what a newbie needs to worry about.

Danth

jarlerop
02-02-2017, 01:31 PM
HP/AC over wisdom/mana. Shamans dont need a lot of mana leveling, and you will for sure take a lot of hits. Its nice to have loads of hp as a big canni buffer as well.
Spells are expensive, but you will afford them except torpor if you save and spend them wisely.

Troxx
02-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Shamans are a potent class and really come into their own with the low level spells regeneration and your first canni. At low levels in minimal gear they can melee decently even in bad gear. With extremes of twink gear, they can effectively melee + cast solo up to 50.

If you're starting fresh and from scratch prioritize a set of banded gear and a decent but cheap (there's lots to pick from in EC) weapon. Aside from those basics, keep money on hand for the GOOD spells (don't just buy them all if you're brand new) while saving for some 5ac 55hp rings.

Shaman is actually a good class to start with as it gives you a lot of flexibility solo vs duo vs group. Spells alone outside of solo will make you valuable even otherwise mostly naked or undergeared. If you play well groups will always want you. Making potions (though boring) can be done while grouping or in down time and are a nice way to slowly make a 50% return on investment (specifically sow potions - always in demand).

Root/rotting as a shaman can be frustrating. Many of the dots have a DD component which can break root.

High end spells are expensive. Torpor is hell. By the time you get there, you'll have plenty of $ to get by with the stuff you NEED (not want). Outside of independently wealthy uber-twink alts, all shamans will have to work really hard for torpor.

supermoonbeam
02-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Awesome thanks for the info everyone. I've already come across a friendly generous player who gifted me some ringmail? And a fine steel weapon. Blackburrow is heavily camped I'll be leaving here soon. Pretty excited for the shaman life. Can't wait to start buffing everyone :D. I'll make sure to get those HP rings and a magical weapon when I can.

Matthalas Winterheart
02-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Awesome thanks for the info everyone. I've already come across a friendly generous player who gifted me some ringmail? And a fine steel weapon. Blackburrow is heavily camped I'll be leaving here soon. Pretty excited for the shaman life. Can't wait to start buffing everyone :D. I'll make sure to get those HP rings and a magical weapon when I can.

Can't wait to start buffing everyone

You say that now.....

Skinned
02-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Can't wait to start buffing everyone

You say that now.....

Lol. Most active character I've ever played.

mgellan
02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Join a good guild and those expensive spells are free drops...

Regards,
Mg

Issar
02-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Hey supermoonbeam, great choice in class. Regarding fungi and Torpor, don't worry about it. Work on just getting to 60 before worrying about Torp. While Fungi is amazing for any class, it's far from necessary on a shaman. To give you an idea, I mained a shaman from EQ release. I was 60 with an epic before I ever had a Fungi (which I promptly gave to an alt). I looted my Torpor at 59 IIRC. And, I was in my late 50's before I ever had a JBB, which I rarely used by that point. I leveled mostly solo, but with a good deal of grouping too. My shaman was a barbarian, which is clearly the worst choice from a min/max standpoint and I had zero issues with leveling.

Shamans are powerful without all the toys, and they really start to shine at the 34th level. On live, I focused on wis/mana until Kunark came out and then went more for HP. Here, I have an iksar shaman that I gear for ac/hp. I tend to prefer the later combo for what it's worth.

Best of luck!

Dreenk317
02-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Join a good guild and those expensive spells are free drops...

Regards,
Mg

This right here. Focus of spirit and bear form drop like hot cakes in western wastes off the dragons seen avatar plenty as well. Spend 55-60 in CE camp in seb and every half hour you have a chance at torpor plus other loot that can sell for thousands of plat.

Make sure your hunting in the right areas and you will get all your spells for free.