PDA

View Full Version : Show My Helm option

Kuvu
02-01-2017, 03:28 AM
Is there anyway to keep this from changing everytime you zone? I turn helm off i zone it comes back on. Thanks.

Kuvu
02-01-2017, 10:56 AM
nope, not classic. In fact pressing the button does absolutely nothing.

It only appears to you that the helmet is gone, no one else sees the helmet disappear.

Learn to love the helmets. They look great.

Honestly i don't give a rat's tails what other people see i only care what I see just like the luclin skins it's all on MY SIDE of the screen so why do the want it all like 1999 crowd even care what's on MY side of the screen if someone else wants to look at all skins and helmets on heads then let them but no reason to take an option away that does nothing to effect the game play at all.

Two times i have asked a simple question and two times i have received a smug ass answer about something that does not effect anyone but myself....

paulgiamatti
02-01-2017, 11:34 AM
That wasn't a smug answer, and he's right; it's a bug that's classic and therefore there's a reason for P99 devs to leave that option broken, as it was during the classic era. Theoretically you could somehow prevent helmet models from loading but that would probably require some unsafe tinkering with the client which would scan as you doing something malicious. So yeah, your only two options on P99 are 1) click the "Show my helmet" button in the Options dialog every single time you zone, or 2) get used to the buckets.

paulgiamatti
02-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Also, a technical caveat: the way helmet models work is a bit counterintuitive, since it looks as if the character's head is still underneath the helmet. This is only partly true - the visible parts of the head model are still there, but the stuff that isn't visible is more or less replaced with the helmet model. So if you were to attempt to remove helmets by simply making the helmet model completely transparent (which can be done by editing textures), you would indeed get rid of the helmet but your character would be missing the top & back of their head too. I'm guessing the "Show my helmet" option just takes the model data that's already loaded into cache for your character not wearing a helmet, and supplants whatever model data is currently in place with that.

Zaela
02-01-2017, 10:09 PM
So if you were to attempt to remove helmets by simply making the helmet model completely transparent (which can be done by editing textures), you would indeed get rid of the helmet but your character would be missing the top & back of their head too.

Off the top of my head, preventing the helmet models from being loaded at all might work around that shortcoming. Relatively simple WLD edit, though not something you could do by hand.

paulgiamatti
02-02-2017, 04:31 AM
That's interesting - would you be able to just change the visibility flag for each helmet in the WLD? I'd be happy to host a global_chr with helmets removed if that's something that's doable, unless you want to put together a nifty one-click application to remove all helms/reinstate all helms.