PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get cheap weapons

Yttrium
01-30-2017, 11:58 AM
First off, everyone on this server has been super cool to me as I level my shaman (up to 17) and I want to state this is not a plug for free stuff!

My old gaming buddy has had enough of hearing me talk about how cool this is and he is starting here too. We are thinking SK / Rogue duo will be fun. I spent a while in EC tunnel last night looking for cheap weapons to get us started but I didn't see anything for sale. Is there a better place to look? Do people even try to sell the cheap stuff (20-50pp) anymore? I occasionally saw a shout out in GFay from a passing vendor when I started but I wasn't sure if there is another place to look. I would love to find a gloomwater harpoon or a barbed leather whip or something similar.

Thanks as always.

RDawg816
01-30-2017, 01:30 PM
There are people selling, you just have to find them when they're on.

Also, if you're enjoying the shaman you should consider doing a shm/rog duo. It's very effective. I've done it 3 or 4 times from low to max level. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Another note would be shm/sk duo which is also good, but not as fun imo. :)

Either way, the shaman could PL the other up super fast.

Ofaelol
01-30-2017, 02:06 PM
I just sold my Gloomwater Harpoon. Spent a little time in EC hawking bone chips, the harpoon etc, with not takers. I decided to head to Upper Guk to level, accidentally hit my /auction macro and sold the harpoon to someone in the zone. Maybe the reverse would work? You could try asking in local zones if anyone has weapons for sale.

cubiczar
01-31-2017, 06:09 PM
I just sold my Gloomwater Harpoon. Spent a little time in EC hawking bone chips, the harpoon etc, with not takers. I decided to head to Upper Guk to level, accidentally hit my /auction macro and sold the harpoon to someone in the zone. Maybe the reverse would work? You could try asking in local zones if anyone has weapons for sale.

Yeah try this, don't spam it or anything but you might have better luck finding something if people know what you are looking for (i.e. WTB gloomwater harpoon or other cheap SK weapon) rather than waiting for them to sell it. I know I personally hate sitting in EC and any cool items that are worth under 100pp I get sit in the bank or my inventory until I get around to giving it away to some random newb. If I could sell it without sitting in EC I totally would :)

DudeStop
01-31-2017, 07:36 PM
EC is the place to be. Best time would be peak hours when there are 120+ people in the zone. I just started playing and found great deals on weapons. Ancient Snake Fang (11/30 piercer) for my rogue for 30pp. Sharkbone Warhammer (+5wis hammer) for my cleric for around 30pp as well.

People will also give you random stuff for free when they see you're a lowbie LF affordable gear. Bonus is you and your friend can level up to lvl 10ish while shopping. Orc camps are really good exp around lvl 6-8 if you can find a group.

Also check out Pentacle Magick's thread, he's a great dude who hooks up new players with plat & items.

Jimjam
02-01-2017, 03:29 AM
Go kill mobs in Lake of Ill Omen. While doing so auction that you want to buy a Harpoon of the Depths (http://wiki.project1999.com/Harpoon_of_the_Depths). These drop ten a penny off the bloodgill goblins people kill in the zone. There is a good chance someone will let you have one for free as they are lore, so are often left to rot on the beach.

nectarprime
02-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Level up and farm them.

Such a profound comment, thank you for your insight. I'm sure OP had no idea such a thing was possible. You've done a great service.

Aaramis
02-01-2017, 12:27 PM
I second the EC thing.

You can find plenty of starter weapons for 100p or less.
And as you have a level 17, you should be able to farm that up pretty easily (wisps, Lfay bandit sister camp, etc.)

Yttrium
02-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Good advice. Sadly we played last night, got to level 2, and he quit. I guess some of us remember this game more fondly than others. Onward with the shaman!

Tigol
02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
I have a harpoon of the depths you can have if you want it. Also, I have a few other random 1h weapons that I hold on to to give to lowbies. Let me know.

Nagoya
02-05-2017, 03:21 AM
I know your friend quit on you and you're back on your shaman etc.
But would it be only for the archives, i'll drop it here: EC Tunnel section of the forum is great.
Use the search option for any "WTS" for what you're looking for and post your "WTB".
I was looking for a Staff of Battle (400-500pp item) for ages in EC and one day someone just sent me a tell out of nowhere to sell me the staff cause they saw my post on the forum. Same for cultural armor and other things.

Simply put, the p99 forum is like a ghetto Luclin-era Bazaar: u can sell and buy when you're offline using this tool, while still having to do the actual transaction online and get that classic fix you oh so truely needs! profit!

Kowalski
02-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Hands out everywhere...

Expediency
02-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Many (I'd say the vast majority) of droppable weapons under 250pp are not sold. They rot, are destroyed, are given away, or used as pet weapons. It can sometimes be harder to find a very cheap 10pp weapon than a much more expensive one.

I would not even go to EC to look for one. I'd just make a macro that says "new player xx class is trying to upgrade from (xxxlist current weaponxxx) and has 10pp to spend" and spam it in every zone you enter. I predict you have a new/free weapon within 30 minutes.

Yttrium
02-06-2017, 12:53 AM
So to be fair, I wasn't asking for a handout. My goal in this was to spend plat I earned selling bone chips on items I wanted to help a friend get started. And yes getting 60 and farming items is a simple solution, though clearly unrealistic as a short term goal to be achieved. I didn't ask "What is the simplest method to get items?" I asked where I could best spend the money I already earned.

Sorry for the rant, as in all things internet I appreciate the helpful majority.

Lhancelot
02-08-2017, 12:51 AM
Crystalline spider fangs are really cheap and hard to beat starting out. Usually 150-250pp and its 10/22 iirc.

Jimjam
02-08-2017, 04:00 AM
If you are in the EC area anyway, consider hitting up Rivervale (provided you are not Kill on sight!)

There is a huge volume of high level druids passing through, I bet many of them have unwanted weapons wasting their bank space.

Auctioning there that you are a newbie looking for a cheap entry level weapon might end well.