PDA

View Full Version : I'm old and need help with the dsetup.dll error

StephenD
01-07-2017, 11:38 PM
I really am old, I'm 71. I have been gaming for at least 16 years and am not a noob.
Not being a noob doesn't mean I can remember how to fix things anymore tho.
I had this problem after the patch before but in my addled mental condition, I don't know what I did to fix it.
I have read threads here on the forum but can't make out what the instructions mean.
So, with that history, please be kind to grandpa and give me detailed instructions on how to get it going again.
Thanks.
BTW, I am the druid Barj that is so kind to port yur bum around so often. <wink>

Rokzor
01-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Most AV programs see dsetup.dll as a threat, so you might wanna check out your quarantine.

Hope that works out for you ;)

khandman
01-08-2017, 07:52 AM
dsetup.dll = big brother ;)

False positive detection and can be added to AV exclusions of the Av suite of your choice.

StephenD
01-09-2017, 09:21 PM
This is what I meant when I said "I have read threads here on the forum but can't make out what the instructions mean."
Your posts tell me that the AV software is blocking me. How do I get it to stop? I have Norton and have disabled and turned stuff off but still get the same error message. I have uninstalled McAffe and still the error. I ran Spybot and cleaned up the spyware and "stuff" and still the error. What else do I need to do?
Try to think of it as giving your grandpa instructions over the phone.

Izmael
01-10-2017, 05:08 AM
Make sure you totally removed the plague known as McAfee from your system. Make sure there's nothing that looks like part of McAfee in the installed program list in your control panel (where you uninstall programs).

Then, install Avast, free edition (https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download) (or premium if you wanna shell out the money), and set it to "Silent / Gaming mode".

Enjoy a healthy system and P99.

paulgiamatti
01-10-2017, 05:32 AM
This is what I meant when I said "I have read threads here on the forum but can't make out what the instructions mean."
Your posts tell me that the AV software is blocking me. How do I get it to stop? I have Norton and have disabled and turned stuff off but still get the same error message. I have uninstalled McAffe and still the error. I ran Spybot and cleaned up the spyware and "stuff" and still the error. What else do I need to do?
Try to think of it as giving your grandpa instructions over the phone.

Step 1: Make sure your EverQuest folder is not installed in your Program Files directory. Move the folder out if you need to.

Step 2: Make a new shortcut for eqgame.exe - right click eqgame.exe and click create shortcut. Right click your newly created shortcut, select Properties, and in the target line add patchme to the end of the path, outside the quotes if they are present. It should look like this:

http://imgur.com/UtWXeHh.png

Now click OK.

Step 3: Download the most recent patch zip and extract its contents into your EverQuest folder: http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files44.zip

Step 4: Make sure your antivirus/antimalware software knows that dsetup.dll is not a virus. I can't offer help on this, but others probably can.

paulgiamatti
01-10-2017, 05:33 AM
Edit: double post

rotenvok
03-03-2017, 09:42 AM
I have had the same problem, now solved. Antivirus put dseupt.dll in quarantine

Tenpin
03-08-2017, 05:01 PM
My antivirus software (AVG) moved it to quarantine (virus vault). I had to go in quarantine and "restore" file which puts it back in its original folder.

Then I turn it off for 10 minutes when I am launching the game to avoid the error.

Hope this helps.

StephenD
03-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Every once in a while I would reinstall the update and try to play. No joy. I tried again, same procedure, and it worked. I deleted the downloaded ziped files so maybe that did it. ???

Gumbo
03-11-2017, 08:57 PM
If you have AVG, you'll want to open the software, click options, click advanced settings, click exceptions and click the add exceptions button. Switch to your EQ directory and click the DLL file and add it. If it doesn't add it automatically, you have to manually type in the link location.