PDA

View Full Version : Necro vs Enchanter?

VincentVolaju
11-18-2016, 07:06 AM
So when it comes to solo leveling or grouping, both classes are similar, right? When in a group they can both offer a lot of utility and CC. Both get they're own way to restore groups mana (clarity / transfer). Both can CC with roots, fears, mezz. Both can play either very active or very lazy in a group setting depending on player skill.

When it comes to soloing both of them have amazing solo potential. Not to mention they can do it nearly same exact way through charm killing.

So what are some of the main differences between Necro and Enchanter? What makes you choose one over the other?

Also, is it true that Enchanters got nerfed pretty hard in Velious zones because Velious mobs resist charm/mez much more? If so, do Necros share that same problem?

Fame
11-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Necro healing with the dispell trick will set you apart from all the plebs

Trelaboon
11-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Enchanter is going to be better DPS in terms of its ability to charm a larger variety of pets and their ability to increase the groups Dps via haste. They will also, in most zones, be a better solo farmer, and only slightly less effective in exp grinding solo.

An Enchanter will be able to give everyone haste, and if there's multiple casters, they will be able to provide more overall mana than twitch. They're also going to just be way better at CCing, which is okay since that's the point.

I have a 60 enchanter and a 53 Necro....the Necro does really good in unconventional groups or duos as their healing is enough to heal most decent melee, also in the right zone their exp can just be insane....I can handle all of second floor in CoM solo and taps/drains leave a little more margin for error than an Enchanter.

Once you're raiding, the Necros just gonnabe a twitch bot and the Enchanter will mostly be just a buff bot. (Yes velious hit Enchanters kinda hard)

I'd say if you like to group more, go with Enchanter, because haste is just absolutely a must in most groups, and the ability to CC more than one mob in close quarters or mobs who can summon is indispensable. If you prefer to just solo grind most of the time, Necro is a lot less work while still having some sweet group utility should you decide to go that route

VincentVolaju
11-18-2016, 08:17 AM

What dispell trick?

Pyrion
11-18-2016, 09:03 AM
What dispell trick?

You can dispell the recourse from your heal so you don't get a lot of damage from it. But since dispell does not reliably target the upper buff slot (just most of the time) you end up dispelling all your buffs when doing it a lot. So, it's not as OP as most people make it sound. If you can live without buffs... well then its nice i guess. For me this way to do it is too much of a hassle. First you dont lose as much as you heal anyways and necros (especially iksars) are very good at restoring HPs, so this method is not really needed.

Swish
11-18-2016, 11:20 AM
I'd only go necro if you hate grouping...enchanters bring too much else to the table for groups, and even then they can solo well if you've got money to sink into gems for the Rune spells <3

Samoht
11-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Also, rolling as Iksar can help with the HP lost on necro heal.

Then, for soloing, necro has FD, which is going to save you when things go sideways.

Ikon
11-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Necro is good for FD and rezzing the cleric in groups after a wipe, enchanters great for preventing that wipe :)

Played both, my enchanter was always getting tells for random groups, my necro occasionally got tells to summon someones corpse for pp hehe.

Fame
11-18-2016, 05:44 PM
What dispell trick?

For me this way to do it is too much of a hassle.

the plebs

Spyder73
11-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Search for the other 5,000 threads on this exact topic

Crawdad
11-18-2016, 06:12 PM
So what are some of the main differences between Necro and Enchanter? What makes you choose one over the other?

Also, is it true that Enchanters got nerfed pretty hard in Velious zones because Velious mobs resist charm/mez much more? If so, do Necros share that same problem?

Enchanters can solo a huge variety of top-end mobs that most other classes couldn't dream of. A non-lazy Enchanter can CC, pull and boast the most DPS in the group all at the same time. Lazy or non-lazy, you are going to die a lot. You can group or solo from 1-60 easily at one of the fastest rates of any class. You will almost always have to pay attention to your pet/group/surroundings, which will all at some point get you killed.

Necromancers are limited to soloing top-end mobs that are undead, or are root rotting. Necromancers aren't going to pull crazy Dps unless its an undead-friendly zone. A non-lazy Necro can CC and heal, but you lack lull and FD is haphazard at best for pulling. You aren't going to die very often thanks to harmshield, FD, snare and lifetaps. You can solo from 1-60 easily at a steady pace, and can earn a solid chunk of change while paying minimal attention.

Enchanters are always welcomed into any kind of group. Necros have to struggle getting into a full group but shine in a duo/trio.

Velious is criminally under utilized here, so you wont see too many people Exping in groups or solo. My experience with both runs out at 56, but I haven't had an issue charming or soloing as either (outside of the obvious issues like mez immunity). Raiding both are a snooze-fest.

Dispelling recourse has been nerfed and isn't worth it anymore. You're better off throwing out a deflux to heal... unless you enjoy the thrill of dispelling your Hp buff instead of recourse.

TLDR SUMMARY: Enchanter if you want to solo/group like a king, constantly pay attention to the screen and don't mind dying. Necromancer if you want to solo, make easy plat and hardly ever die/AFK any time you want.

solutionx
11-19-2016, 05:49 AM

This doesn't always work and becomes more of a hassle using the extra spell slot than simply vexing (specially since you're liching anyways).

I have a 60 necro and 51 chanter, and I have experience duoing my necro with chanters.

These threads pop up a lot, and it comes down to personal preference.

Main points to take away (my incredible opinions):

Necromancers and Enchanters both have somewhat of a boring time getting to 34 when they equally start to shine all the way to 60.

Enchanters can solo some of the toughest camps in the game at 60 for fun or money, both in Kunark and Velious. The takeaway is that they're glass cannons; they're made of paper when things go wrong, and it's not uncommon to CR whether in a group or solo doing said tougher camps.

Necromancers have much more utility than Enchanters for survival and general independence. Fastest mana regen in the game, self heals through lifetaps, Feign Death, Harmshield, decent pet, etc.

It could easily be argued, but I think soloing and getting to 60 is a lot smoother, easier and stress-free as a Necromancer because of our efficiency, lack of risk, and our independence. Yes, Enchanters are good at soloing from the moment you get Charm, but charming and CC only takes you so far as a chanter before something goes wrong. The mana regen is good but not great, and there's no way to heal yourself. The survivability Enchanters have come in the form of stuns, mez, and runes. The free rune line costs a great deal of mana over time, and Rune itself means spending a lot of platinum.

Both classes duo incredibly well with each other (assuming both players are actually good at their classes) or with Shamans. Enchanters have the added benefit of being able to duo with a complete heal cleric very well, both because you can charm and buff a pet to incredible levels without having to worry about its health, and because any enchanter eventually needs a heal when things go bad.

Playing an Enchanter "well" in a group, I feel, is a lot easier than playing a Necromancer well in a group. Too many terrible Necromancers who still think they're soloing when they group, and it gives most necros a bad rep. It's a lot easier finding a group as a Chanter at higher levels if that's what you enjoy more.

Both are equally boring at high-end raids, but if you want more fun at raids I guess you'd better roll a melee class instead.

Not sure what else to say. It only depends on what you want to play more between these two. Looking back at the OP, it sounds like you're very interested in grouping. Play Enchanter instead, and don't be lazy :P Either of these classes being lazy is bad. If you want to be lazy make a mage or wizard.

Additionally for what necros offer groups, and overall a great write-up on the class, read Sesserdrix's necro guide on the wiki.

Swish
11-19-2016, 05:56 AM
That's a good post... but I'd add that the best enchanters, either naturally or via days/months of practice soloing are great at "getting out of jail" when a chain of bad events starts to happen. Whether its a level 4 root, recasting rune,or simply having gate up somehow (with all the other spells to try and juggle).

Necros are certainly a safer soloing class. If in doubt, FD... if that fails... Harmshield and try again when it pops :p

solutionx
11-19-2016, 06:17 AM
I made the post assuming the dude is new :P If it's a skilled level 60 Enchanter the last thing you care about is spending plat on more runes with the kind of income you're potentially getting!

I guess one more important thing to note is the amount of spell juggling you MUST do as an enchanter to play it well. You're always in your spellbook, neatly organized and switching spells constantly, either grouping or solo. Good Necros have to do it too, but not at that their level. Again... not made to be lazy classes.

Bristlebaner
11-19-2016, 08:23 PM
I have a 57 enchanter and a 54 necro currently. Here is how I would compare:

Enchanter: most potential to pull off impressive solo feats. Requires concentration at all times. You won't be doing anything impressive without a charm pet. Keeping a charm pet is fun at times and very stressful at times. When I bio my wife thinks I'm holding a time trial to get to the bathroom. A dual wielding, hasted pet will likely burn through your Rune V and kill you way before a cleric or melee could taunt it off. You will have to manage buffs on other players and you will always die first. Raid or group, enchanter hits the floor first. TL,DR: Very powerful, very stressful (In my opinion).

Necro: Chill. You can pay zero attention and go farm Seafuries. You can farm low levels with your summoned pet. You can heal. Your mana regen blows away C2. Instant invis is great. Feign death is ultra useful ofc - bad pull, flop. Ridiculous train in HS with goofy pathing and lvl 51 summoners running through zone in, flop. You lack the pure solo power of an enchanter because you can't charm a living mob and you don't have slow to reduce a named NPC damage by 70%. If you're okay not being the pinnacle of solo power, it's a much more relaxed class. Doorbell rings? Flop. Wife aggro? Flop. TL,DR: Very powerful (although falling short of enchanter), more relaxed.