PDA

View Full Version : Couple different errors

korwl
11-15-2016, 03:22 AM
Hi guys,

Since others have posted tech stuff here, I'm going to do the same. Not even sure if this'll post since the last one said I had to wait for moderator approval, but here goes anyway.

I'm getting one of two errors. If I replace DSETUP.dll (rename for case sensitivity, I'm on a Linux machine), I get an error for GlobalLoad.txt not matching something or another. It's write protected for whatever reason so I manually go in and replace it from the newest patch file, so I know for a fact that it is the right one. It tells me to extract ALL the files from the patch file, which I have done ad nauseum.

If I don't replace DSETUP.dll, I get to go into the character select screen, but it tells me my spell files are out of date. If anyone has any input, it'd be awesome. I've been struggling with this for a long time now.

Cheers!

paulgiamatti
11-15-2016, 03:28 AM
Make sure you're extracting the correct patch: http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files43.zip.

Other than that I'm not sure, I don't know anything about Linux. Could be a connection issue.

korwl
11-15-2016, 03:39 AM
Make sure you're extracting the correct patch: http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files43.zip.

Other than that I'm not sure, I don't know anything about Linux. Could be a connection issue.

As of right now since it boots up and everything else works more or less like it's supposed to -- ie, the game successfully boots and proceeds to load everything it needs to in order to get to the character select screen -- I'm treating it as if it's a non-Linux specific problem (EDIT: although in retrospect, it seems that this is most likely the case. If it weren't Linux-specific, I'd imagine there would be a lot more of these kinds of threads). It seems to be running fine under Wine so that's my assumption until someone tells me otherwise.

The failure of 7z to natively work around write-protection of GlobalLoad.txt (even run as root) jogged something in me so I extracted to a temp folder and moved the entire folder over manually as root, but nothing changed. I'm a little stumped here. Is there any way I can rule out a connection issue?

EDIT: I am running 64-bit Arch 4.8.4-1

paulgiamatti
11-15-2016, 04:01 AM
Is there any way I can rule out a connection issue?

Install EQ on another machine on your network and see if you can connect. Or I suppose you could try creating a virtual Windows environment with VirtualBox and try installing & connecting in that, just as a way to figure out if it's a Linux-specific issue.

korwl
11-15-2016, 04:08 AM
Install EQ on another machine on your network and see if you can connect. Or I suppose you could try creating a virtual Windows environment with VirtualBox and try installing & connecting in that, just as a way to figure out if it's a Linux-specific issue.

I think I'm just going to come at it fresh tomorrow. This'll be the first thing I try. Cheers!

korwl
11-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Well, I can't even get EQ to load the launcher in a VM on my potato PC. I'd really rather not have to deal with making a Windows partition just for EQ so if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Right now my problem is with a GlobalLoad.txt discrepancy.

korwl
11-15-2016, 07:21 PM
IT WORKS!

It looks like I might have (ahem) acquired a different version of EQ than I needed, even though it was still the Platinum distribution. My sound still doesn't work, but I'm okay with that for now.