PDA

View Full Version : EC has too many resellers! Bring back P99 auctions!

Lhancelot
11-11-2016, 06:52 PM
I don't know if the two are connected, but EC has too many resellers, and Ahungry just isn't on par with P99 Auctions. Someone make P99 Auctions come back.

Zekayy
11-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Ahungry.com is all we have now

Lhancelot
11-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Ahungry.com is all we have now

I choose to not drink a poison, even when that is all there is left to drink.

Swish
11-11-2016, 07:15 PM
That might be your public opinion but your browser history probably says otherwise ^^

Lhancelot
11-11-2016, 07:17 PM
That might be your public opinion but your browser history probably says otherwise ^^

I have no idea where to go with this. Your statement has nothing to do with Ahungry, or EC resellers. :confused:

Swish
11-11-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm saying you've got something thats useable (other than the wiki) and I bet you're using it ;)

Lhancelot
11-11-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm saying you've got something thats useable (other than the wiki) and I bet you're using it ;)

Well. I actually still check out P99 auctions, because the most recent sales and prices show from when it was still active. The prices are still accurate too.

I am pretty sure that is coming down too, so once that's gone we will have nothing that is accurate and up-to-date.

I also miss the very nice, convenient live stream P99 auctions had, probably the best thing about it.

Ahungry has a very big delay on it's stream, making it impractical to use if you in another zone and want to try to use it to catch a by the second sale or buy.

I am just curious why there's so many resellers in EC, there's more resellers than non-resellers at any given time now.

Salahdin
11-11-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm more in favor of getting rid of sites like that; on the basis that it removes one aspect of the game for people ( the EC Tunnel Rats ).
Been a former EC Tunnel Rat on the Fippy server it was great fun buying and selling items ( I used to buy in the offpeak times when low pop) then sell it the next morning when the pop was high.
Sites like the one listed take the fun out of EC Tunnel Rating and basically make EC Tunnel and a boring flat place where everyone checks the same price guideline website.

it's great for the buyer who pops in to buy a new set of gloves; because the prices are SET but meh that's not what EQ EC Tunnel Rat game was about.

What REALLY needs to happen is the sweep of all the BOXED toons in EC tunnel, coz most of those resellers are off farming on other toons -- where the true disadvantage is for the common man.
( the honest bomb shell drop )

Swish
11-11-2016, 07:39 PM
What REALLY needs to happen is the sweep of all the BOXED toons in EC tunnel, coz most of those resellers are off farming on other toons -- where the true disadvantage is for the common man.
( the honest bomb shell drop )

Agreed 100%. If it's possible I'd like to see a blanket ban on IP exemption usage for 24 hours and see how that affects the server population and the EC tunnel.

What's more interesting is how many IP exemptions there are versus how many players play nightly.

Salahdin
11-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Yep, EC Hagglers used to log in for a few hours haggle then log off, not sit on a boxed toon for 10-12-16 hours a day buying and reselling while farming on their mains.

if they could remove this aspect and let those ec trader sites fade, then you'd see alot of fun ec auctions again.

Lhancelot
11-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Yep, EC Hagglers used to log in for a few hours haggle then log off, not sit on a boxed toon for 10-12-16 hours a day buying and reselling while farming on their mains.

I thought boxing was against server rules? I thought the guy that is selling in EC with a second account has a wife/husband that plays and is just having fun on EQ with them?

Salahdin
11-11-2016, 08:04 PM
I thought boxing was against server rules? I thought the guy that is selling in EC with a second account has a wife/husband that plays and is just having fun on EQ with them?

My friend you must be fairly new around here :)

Do you think a guy who plays 17 year old EQ 16 hours a day has a wife?

( and yes boxing is against the rules but lotta people circumvent the system using different methods, some are almost untraceable/stoppable )

Lhancelot
11-11-2016, 08:19 PM

good point. :D

Jimjam
11-11-2016, 10:50 PM
My friend you must be fairly new around here :)

( and yes boxing is against the rules but lotta people circumvent the system using different methods, some are almost untraceable/stoppable )

http://i.imgur.com/zWVAK0s.gif

Orotiagito
11-11-2016, 11:52 PM
Trailer parks.

tiadashi
11-12-2016, 01:22 AM
Can someone enlighten me how p99 auctions helped avoid re-seller's? the only part i get is that people had a resource to find out rough values - anyone with any substantial amount of money already knows these rough values - so who are they selling to newbs with no money?

Swish
11-12-2016, 02:12 AM
Resellers can make a level 1 and push prices up or down with fake auctions depending on their agenda. What probably goes on but isnt talked about is fat cats colluding with each other to make more plat together.

Personally I'd rather play EverQuest.

tiadashi
11-12-2016, 03:10 AM
I ask because im a re-seller of sorts ( I buy under the rough price and sell at the price or lower depending on my margin and sometimes a little higher ) and I only buy at a price that im willing to pay as anyone should really -

I just dont see how people with plat ( meaning they spent time acquiring it and would know the EC basics or at a minimum certainly would know someone who does know if they avoid it ) would pay some crazy price for any item unless it was knowingly - im not paying 1k for for hero bracers regardless for example and anyone who has any real plat would know this isnt a "correct" price -

So unless its people ripping off some newb for a green jade broadsword at 200p because he doesnt "know" any better i just dont see how jacking up a price can really happen UNLESS allot of people who know better are paying

But its possible I dont really understand this topic, im only a mid lvl player, I have EC'd my entire career since live back in the day and at least understand general EC mechanics and "oversellers" (as I call them) never bothered me, I guess as re-seller I dont want to be grouped into the "bad re-seller" lot

anyways thanks for the info

Izmael
11-12-2016, 05:31 AM
Not sure why all that fuss about resellers.

If you like a price on an item, who cares how much the seller got the item for, originally? They might be getting 30% margin on it but the only reason someone would care about it is jealousy.

Dolalin
11-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Resellers do offer liquidity to the market, they ensure items are available for wider periods of time, even though they do take a margin as their payment. There's good with the bad, it's not all one sided.

Korrupt
11-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Glad there isn't a site anymore always thought it made blue lame, reselling is the most fun about selling in ec tunnel.

shit is uhh

c l a s s i c

alsa
11-12-2016, 09:48 AM
The auction site made selling/buying almost into wow style auction house. Buyer and seller can just check the auction log from now to last few days and pick out the price/item they like. They still have to catch the seller/buyer online but it is much less work/luck. That leaves no room for ec reseller service.

Without the auction house service however things are different. "Normal" player doesn't want to spend a long time in ec trying to find items at the "correct" price. That's where reseller comes in. They charge a small fee so people can be in and out ec and continue their version of everquest.

So I really don't see why people hate resellers. They charge a little more so you can get/sell your item right away. If you don't want to use their service, just sit in the tunnel till you can reach the "right" price for your items.

fadetree
11-12-2016, 09:48 AM
grrr stupid evil sellers who make sure we have things available when we want them, grrr evil fat cats who take advantage of us by buying our pixels quickly so we dont have to sit in the tunnel for hours grrr evil BAD.

Sporkotron
11-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Resellers are classic, auction house websites are not. They were nice, but any time something convenient is removed is favor of being classic then I'm on board.

Jimjam
11-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Allakhazam had price reports, don't know if that fell into 'classic' era though. I'm sure EQmaps did too?

Izmael
11-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Allakhazam had price reports, don't know if that fell into 'classic' era though. I'm sure EQmaps did too?

Nowhere near the datamining P99auctions offered.

EC haggling is as classic as it gets and should be promoted - 100+ people in the zone is fun.

Now if only it was in NFP for nostalgia sake... :rolleyes:

A1rh3ad
11-12-2016, 01:42 PM
I prefer the EC tunnel the way it is. Auction houses and economies heavily based on website services promote severe undercuts. Not that it doesn't happen here but if you could just undercut the guy above you with the click of a mouse it creates a problem. With the type of system in place (at least how I remember it on diablo2) even if someone is selling it cheaper that person isnt on so now its not so easy to undercut. Sometimes players need to wait for undercutter so log off or if they are lucky and sell at the right time they can charge more. Supply and demand. Need this item? Im the only one in EC that has it. Pay my price or wait. Resellers provide a service so you can sell your items quickly. This creates a part of the metagame. The whole tunnel is meta. Things like this were removed in games when they added auctions to the RPG scene. A computerized service that should be handled by real players while in game and not some livefeed.

Lhancelot
11-12-2016, 02:43 PM
R.I.P. P99 Auctions site. Fully dead now. Can't even review prices items were listed at last. It's a sad day in Norrath, and somewhere the globalists are celebrating and making merry.

Mantis187
11-13-2016, 01:04 AM
raid guilds pretty much set prices on the higher end stuff, will never change

relentlessimp
11-13-2016, 01:46 AM
EC haggling is as classic as it gets and should be promoted - 100+ people in the zone is fun.

I've yet to actually meet someone willing to haggle, personally.

Salahdin
11-13-2016, 03:37 AM
I've yet to actually meet someone willing to haggle, personally.

that's because of the websites that list prices.

like i've said in my previous post in this thread, those websites destroy the fun of EC tunnel.

Cecily
11-13-2016, 10:48 AM
EC tunnel was never fun.

icedwards
11-13-2016, 10:50 AM
EC tunnel was never fun.

zanderklocke
11-13-2016, 11:21 AM
I think we should have players advertising they have a bag of items for sale, and then potential interested buyers will have to go open a trade window and see what's in their bag that might be worthwhile. I remember that when I played on live in the early 2000s.

Lhancelot
11-13-2016, 11:27 AM
I think we should have players advertising they have a bag of items for sale, and then potential interested buyers will have to go open a trade window and see what's in their bag that might be worthwhile. I remember that when I played on live in the early 2000s.

The only people that do this are lazy players too lazy to create a link of an item into /auc.

I despise when some dude says in /auc, "yo selling really good necro gear, come see me at front of tunnel and I show you the stuffs!"

Everytime I have done this, gone and see these awesome gears they are selling, I found them to be utter crap. I then think to myself how I just waited 2 minutes trying to find this guy, waited for others to look and leave to only find he has nothing I am interested in.

Just link your items in /auc and save everyone the hassle. :p

Jimjam
11-13-2016, 11:33 AM
The only people that do this are lazy players too lazy to create a link of an item into /auc.

I despise when some dude says in /auc, "yo selling really good necro gear, come see me at front of tunnel and I show you the stuffs!"

Everytime I have done this, gone and see these awesome gears they are selling, I found them to be utter crap. I then think to myself how I just waited 2 minutes trying to find this guy, waited for others to look and leave to only find he has nothing I am interested in.

Just link your items in /auc and save everyone the hassle. :p

You're forgetting that classically there was no item linking? You had to type out the stats or show the item in trade.

Lhancelot
11-13-2016, 11:35 AM
You're forgetting that classically there was no item linking? You had to type out the stats or show the item in trade.

Maybe so, but how P99 is now, not putting items in a link is just being lazy imo.

Sporkotron
11-13-2016, 02:17 PM
I kind of wish we could go back to no links in chat, more classic. More people selling bags of stuff at t1 and 2.

Lhancelot
11-13-2016, 02:20 PM
I kind of wish we could go back to no links in chat, more classic. More people selling bags of stuff at t1 and 2.

1/10

Tolgrim
11-13-2016, 02:21 PM
I choose to not drink a poison, even when that is all there is left to drink.

This

Champion_Standing
11-13-2016, 03:26 PM
Can't wait till Luclin comes out and we finally have the bazaar.

fadetree
11-13-2016, 05:07 PM
That's true, you can't.

schnickusaurus
11-13-2016, 05:35 PM
The OP has a point, or more exact he favors the buyer.

Noone here had yet explained why pro-buyer likes p99 auction site and why it wiped away resellers.

Here's why:

With only a bad Ahungry that not many used, people checked p1999 wiki which was even worse as it listed auction prices rather than actual deal prices, which were overrepresented by those spamming the most ie high resellers.

Having that said, without p99 auction the people with best market price info and spread overview are of course the resellers. The casual buyer and newbies without p99 auction has information gap, and will risk being overcharged.

P99 auction closed that information gap -- a casual buyer received fast full details on latest price movements without even spending the demanding time that resellers do. Thats why i stopped reselling when p99 auction was launched. :p

Salahdin
11-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Site's like p99auction puts a price tag on items and removes the need for people to interact and think outside of the square ( i.e ask their guilds, their pals, their trusted EC buddies the PCs on items)

it's basically a symptom of modern MMORPG community; people don't want to THINK or ACT or TRY.

EC Tunnel back in the day was a place where you could score a deal or be ripped off; just like any trade hub would be in the context of a "real world Norrath". Instead everyone walks around with a price check list on items.

The supposed advantage of spending time in the EC tunnel was that you learned the price/ the movement of items etc etc, how often an item came up, you could see a Hero Bracer sold for 250pp and you could resell it for 300-350pp fairly easy so you buy it and make a small profit. This is supposed to be a fantasy MMO after all.

it's really a symptom of modern MMORPGS trickling back in to 17 year old emulated EQ; people want to eliminate so many aspects that are lost in old school MMOs and make them some bland login to get pixels then log out.

When I switched from Red to Blue recently I couldn't even haggle on a 50-100pp item coz the sellers were referring back to the buy/sell manuals and had no dynamic control over their pricing....it made the EC experience SHIT.

Swish
11-13-2016, 06:36 PM
tag: young economists

Lhancelot
11-13-2016, 09:18 PM
The OP has a point, or more exact he favors the buyer.

Noone here had yet explained why pro-buyer likes p99 auction site and why it wiped away resellers.

Here's why:

With only a bad Ahungry that not many used, people checked p1999 wiki which was even worse as it listed auction prices rather than actual deal prices, which were overrepresented by those spamming the most ie high resellers.

Having that said, without p99 auction the people with best market price info and spread overview are of course the resellers. The casual buyer and newbies without p99 auction has information gap, and will risk being overcharged.

P99 auction closed that information gap -- a casual buyer received fast full details on latest price movements without even spending the demanding time that resellers do. Thats why i stopped reselling when p99 auction was launched. :p

True, now that P99 auctions site has totally shut down, it should be more interesting in EC. There should be a more varied price gap on items, more extreme highs and more extreme lows. Like it should be.

I still cannot ignore the conveniences of P99 acution site though. It was quite nice to be in a different zone, and to be able to track auctions occuring in EC mere seconds of live time. Ahungry does not offer this.

I'd be fine if P99 auctions ran with only a livestream, but simply did not track every listed WTB/WTS item and it's price.

Ravager
11-13-2016, 09:21 PM
How long was the site up for even? It doesn't seem like it took long for some asshole to shut it down.

Pumpedup
11-13-2016, 09:34 PM
ill take bazaar over having to haggle with drug addicts, idiots and unemployed shitbags anyday

oh a lammy for 1k? let me decide if i want to buy it or not

on p99 someone links a lammy and you get the patented idiot tell

how much you payin

tristantio
11-14-2016, 12:35 AM
"A bad ahungry"? - I concede it was in a bad spot when I had ads on, as no one really likes ads, but the site at it's peak has had 3x the unique monthly's p99auction ever had (and even when p99auction was going strong, I still had ~2k uniques a month).

Now that p99auctions is gone, it's jumped back up to 4k+ uniques (and growing daily).

The site also shows auctions from 0 to 60 seconds ago (I just update it once per minute vs a continous websocket stream).

Sporkotron
11-14-2016, 01:37 AM
ill take bazaar over having to haggle with drug addicts, idiots and unemployed shitbags anyday

oh a lammy for 1k? let me decide if i want to buy it or not

on p99 someone links a lammy and you get the patented idiot tell

how much you payin

Yup, everyone on p99 is a drugged out shitbag except you....

schnickusaurus
11-14-2016, 02:49 AM
Tristantio i apologize, i did not mean bad. To be true, i like to be a little sharp when i make a point, abit dramatic , like painting my own Picasso. I personally like Ahungry, i used it probably among those who used it most of all on the server. My argument was just a gathering of what i have seen regarding how the lot behave. Again full cred to Ahungry, i cant complain i made millions plat partly with help from Ahungry :p

Swish
11-14-2016, 03:09 AM
"A bad ahungry"? - I concede it was in a bad spot when I had ads on, as no one really likes ads, but the site at it's peak has had 3x the unique monthly's p99auction ever had (and even when p99auction was going strong, I still had ~2k uniques a month).

Now that p99auctions is gone, it's jumped back up to 4k+ uniques (and growing daily).

The site also shows auctions from 0 to 60 seconds ago (I just update it once per minute vs a continous websocket stream).

Its good that people put their own sites up for the benefit of the community. The fat cats are ingrates for sure.

fadetree
11-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Swish you say 'fat cats' a LOT. Why? Who do you mean exactly? Do you mean resellers? You know, the ones that buy your stuff quickly so you don't have to wait, and who always have a selection of items so you can find what you want?
Would you prefer a system that forced you personally to hang out for hours trying to sell or buy? Do you think that people who provide that service to you are not entitled to some compensation?

Lhancelot
11-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Swish you say 'fat cats' a LOT. Why?

Swish is similar to those raving religious zealots who can't help but relate everything in real life to a story, character, or situation from their holy book/scriptures. The difference is, Swish worships cats, so naturally he thinks in terms of cats.

By definition a "fat cat" is a derogatory term used to describe a large, lazy, gluttonous feline that refuses to share with his pride and instead tries to eat everything so the majority of the food is his regardless how much other members of the cat pride may be starving.

By calling people "fat cats", Swish is using this metaphor to describe how the greedy platinum farmers and pixel collectors behave regarding the p99 economy and other members of the community.

What Swish is saying is, The fat cat of the wild is similar to the "fat cat" player in EC.

kgallowaypa
11-14-2016, 10:59 AM
and Ahungry just isn't on par with P99 Auctions.

Cecily
11-14-2016, 11:14 AM
And now it's gone forever, you ungrateful whiny bitches. Ty Xenow for ahungry.

Korrupt
11-14-2016, 11:38 AM
thank god its gone. :o

maskedmelon
11-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Swish is similar to those raving religious zealots who can't help but relate everything in real life to a story, character, or situation from their holy book/scriptures. The difference is, Swish worships cats, so naturally he thinks in terms of cats.

By definition a "fat cat" is a derogatory term used to describe a large, lazy, gluttonous feline that refuses to share with his pride and instead tries to eat everything so the majority of the food is his regardless how much other members of the cat pride may be starving.

By calling people "fat cats", Swish is using this metaphor to describe how the greedy platinum farmers and pixel collectors behave regarding the p99 economy and other members of the community.

What Swish is saying is, The fat cat of the wild is similar to the "fat cat" player in EC.

I thought Fat Cat was a large, well-dressed feline with fiery contempt for rodents such as mice, chipmunks and of course rats. Always seemed like he just needed a good stroking to temper his rage. Poor kitty :/