PDA

View Full Version : New player, 0 Plat. Which class can get me to 60 the fastest?

BarkingSpider
11-08-2016, 05:03 AM
Some friends of mine who already play on the server have convinced me to give p99 a shot. Since they're level 60 already, I want to get up to 55+ as soon as possible so I can start grouping and playing with them. I have zero plat, and told my friends I didn't want any free items or power leveling because I wanted to not only experience the server fresh, but also to see how well I can do for myself by the time I hit 60.

I have many different playstyles in MMOs, sometimes a healer, sometimes a caster, sometimes melee dps etc. so I don't have a preference one way or the other. I'm down to play just about anything, so long as I can make it work with absolutely zero cash and preferably in a quick time line.

Considering those things, which class would you guys suggest I make to start off as my first character on the server to get to level 60 with, as quickly as possible, with zero money for items, spells, weapons etc.?

Thanks!

tyrant49333
11-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Enchanter. Can be a boss even with shitty or sub par gear charming your way to 60

thufir
11-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Enchanter. Can be a boss even with shitty or sub par gear charming your way to 60

second this. my enchanter is capable of getting huge amounts of xp in any solo or duo session and he's entirely untwinked.

shaman's a close second if you can find a monk buddy. don't need much gear here also.

both classes are capable of soloing / duoing some very good items / cash as they go up in levels.

Expediency
11-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Consider druid, necro, enchanter, mage, or cleric. The first four can make their own money and dont require as much gear, the last option (cleric) is not as gear dependent as other classes and people are always looking for clerics to group with.

Avoid any melee class other than possibly monk, also avoid wizard. Avoid shaman too because they are very powerful but are the most expensive casting class to gear out if you want all the toys.

thufir
11-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Avoid shaman too because they are very powerful but are the most expensive casting class to gear out if you want all the toys.
the flip side of this is that the expensive stuff doesn't really kick in until 60 (torpor). you can get a JBB earlier but it isn't vital and the price on that has been dropping anyway.

still a great easy class to go from 1-60 with. worry about the top end stuff after imo.

Lhancelot
11-08-2016, 01:34 PM
I think cleric. you basically can enjoy the most relaxing class to play in a group. You are useful, and needed... and require not so much gear to be effective. Just sit on your ass, pop up heal someone, then sit on your ass. Doesn't get much easier.

Enchanter is powerful solo and also requires little gears to be effective. Necro and mage also have this capability too, both having pets and being very self sufficient.

Basically avoid pure melee classes, they require more gear and money to be effective in groups. Ungeared melee can't hide their gimpiness, whereas a ungeared caster or cleric can manage to still be quite helpful in a group.

Tuurin
11-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Don't know how nobody has suggested the most obvious answer yet, but I'll suggest bard as the fastest to level and least gear dependent class there is. Amirite?

RDawg816
11-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Amirite?
Technically, but I don't think that's what he's looking for. I would suggest druid. Easy to get around and explore, can group or solo many different ways. It's a great way to experience classic EQ.

Swish
11-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Cleric will get you there, but will you continue to enjoy healing, healing and healing? A lot of clerics burn out by the time they get to raiding.

Lhancelot
11-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Technically, but I don't think that's what he's looking for. I would suggest druid. Easy to get around and explore, can group or solo many different ways. It's a great way to experience classic EQ.

True.

Druids also are very self sufficient, as a druid you never got to beg for a port for a CR, or to get to that awesome dungeon you want to group at.

Well, porting to a dungeon to group might be a bit of a stretch, but it's still a possibility.

Expediency
11-08-2016, 02:00 PM
the flip side of this is that the expensive stuff doesn't really kick in until 60 (torpor). you can get a JBB earlier but it isn't vital and the price on that has been dropping anyway.

still a great easy class to go from 1-60 with. worry about the top end stuff after imo.

Thats true. If he doesnt mind not having the top toys shaman is a good choice because it can solo and group any size.

fadetree
11-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Fastest is going to be Enchanter or Necro.

SoekiWiz
11-08-2016, 02:10 PM
The CORRECT answer is that you can swarm a bard to 60 faster than any other class can level on their own, and you can do it almost naked.

If that's not what you're going for, and you don't want people to hate you for swarming (lots of QQ'ers when people do that), I'd say go for something you can quad kite (Wiz/Dru), Fear kite/Root rot (Nec/Shm), or Charm kill (Nec/Enc).

Honestly though, play what you want to play. Enjoy the game! I wish I would have started with a mnk like I was on live instead of this punk ass Wizard.

thufir
11-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Don't know how nobody has suggested the most obvious answer yet, but I'll suggest bard as the fastest to level and least gear dependent class there is. Amirite?

The CORRECT answer is that you can swarm a bard to 60 faster than any other class can level on their own, and you can do it almost naked.

If that's not what you're going for, and you don't want people to hate you for swarming (lots of QQ'ers when people do that), I'd say go for something you can quad kite (Wiz/Dru), Fear kite/Root rot (Nec/Shm), or Charm kill (Nec/Enc).

Honestly though, play what you want to play. Enjoy the game! I wish I would have started with a mnk like I was on live instead of this punk ass Wizard.

Is this really true now with the 25 target limit? I would think swarming would be more boring, less disruptive, and less XP these days.

(Not too late to change classes btw!)

SoekiWiz
11-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Is this really true now with the 25 target limit? I would think swarming would be more boring, less disruptive, and less XP these days.

(Not too late to change classes btw!)

Sure is. A bard can still go pull a whole zone and swarm it if they want to, they're just not going to die as quickly. A big part of the bard's time invested to swarm exp is the actual pulling, not the killing.

I have a bard, and an enchanter I charm kill with. The bard levels faster, hands down.

thufir
11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Sure is. A bard can still go pull a whole zone and swarm it if they want to, they're just not going to die as quickly. A big part of the bard's time invested to swarm exp is the actual pulling, not the killing.

I have a bard, and an enchanter I charm kill with. The bard levels faster, hands down.

Interesting, would have expected the limit on snaring to bite bards in the ass once they got too many on the kite. Still pretty boring though, I imagine. =) And they don't have the ability to get good camps like a enchanter or shaman does, or even necro.

RDawg816
11-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Swarming bards usually strafe and/or use JBoots instead of snaring.

Also, druid can quad, fear, root-rot, charm, port, harmony, heal, etc. Might not be the best/fastest, but they have the most versatility of the classes that can level quickly (aside from bard, which if going for speed would be a 1-trick pony).

Tuurin
11-08-2016, 02:29 PM

His goal is to zoom to 55+ as quickly as possible so he can group with his buddies who already play on the server and are level 60. I wouldn't suggest leveling up a druid would be great advice for someone who wants to get into the higher end grouping game :D

So actually I think bard is much more what he's looking for. Very fast path to 60, no gear needed other than maybe a couple of cheapo instruments and a suit of banded, and a very viable group/raid member that stacks with anything (even another bard) at 60.

Evia
11-08-2016, 02:33 PM
I think the class you are after is bard.

RDawg816
11-08-2016, 02:35 PM
I have zero plat, and told my friends I didn't want any free items or power leveling because I wanted to not only experience the server fresh, but also to see how well I can do for myself by the time I hit 60.
He wants to experience the game as he makes his way to 60. To me that says no bard swarming....

fadetree
11-08-2016, 03:18 PM
yeah well, that's a conflict :
'experience the game' and 'fastest to 60'. He needs to pick one.

Expediency
11-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Your two friends should roll two twinks and you guys trio your way to 50 around norrath. Way funner than swarming to 55 just so you can see the raid content

maskedmelon
11-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Monk is acceltable to level naked if you group and want to go with a melee. People always want you, and group always have dps ^^ Necro definitely quicker and better money though ^^

AshurFoH
11-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Play what you want. Have your friends make newb characters and level them up together. It'll be fun.

thufir
11-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Play what you want. Have your friends make newb characters and level them up together. It'll be fun.

this is really the best suggestion.

everquest isn't like wow. you don't want to rush through 1-59. what's awaiting you at 60 isn't nearly as fun as the other levels.

I get you want to join your friends at 60, but maybe you should be asking them what they're doing with their level 60 characters before you rush it. sit in on a raid or two before you decide it's for you.

(that having been said if you are hell-bent on rushing it, "doing the bard thing" seems to be the consensus)

Izmael
11-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Bard to level really fast but then you wanna make sure you actually want to play a bard at high level with your friends. It is a peculiar class.

RDawg816
11-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Bard to level really fast but then you wanna make sure you actually want to play a bard at high level with your friends. It is a peculiar class.
I recommend bards to anyone that wants to group. It's a very unique experience. Even non-swarm soloing is awesome.

Saludeen
11-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Bard is absolutely the fastest leveling with swarming, UNLESS the recent nerf changed that. You don't need gear either, just find someone to give you MM drums, gypsy lute, and a horn for your dots. Literally hit 60 with no other gear.

Soloing at higher levels is terrible though because charm killing doesn't work as well due to the higher level spell requiring mana, resists, etc. And you can't even box blues to to toe like monks. Swarming is legit though. Was anyway.

RDawg816
11-09-2016, 03:22 PM
He went with necro by the way. I saw him in WC.

Nibblewitz
11-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Caster is definitely the way to go starting fresh.

Baler
11-09-2016, 03:42 PM
He went with necro by the way. I saw him in WC.

Good choice for a new player. But was he an iksar?

RDawg816
11-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Indeed.

BarkingSpider
11-10-2016, 04:21 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions! It was a toss between Cleric or Necro, ultimately when Necro because leveling speed is kind of important to me, and I felt like if I couldn't find a group for an hour or 2 as a Cleric it would just be dead / wasted time. Where as on a Necro if I can't find a group, I can also solo just fine.

I read the Necro wiki, specifically the guide by Sesserdrix which basically teaches a noob like me how to be a good a Necro. I went with Iksar after finding out about the synergy between Iksar regen and the Lich line of spells. Also I figured if I was a race that was hated practically every where in the game, it would allow me to kill guards for gold while leveling, without the worry of ruining any important faction for me. I figure if I can solo level off guards that drop 5-10p per kill, then I could realistically gear myself up while leveling with some of the basic stuff needed for Necros like HP/Mana jewelery etc. Where as if I was a Cleric, I have no idea how I'd get $$$ while leveling for upgrades, as well as new spells.

I just got lvl 14 earlier and went back to buy my level 12 spells, which are all like 5p already, so I can only buy specific spells that I absolutely need for leveling. I imagine the prices for spells are only going to get even more crazy. So the whole guards killing idea was a pretty big deciding factor in choosing Necro over Cleric.

I appreciate all the suggestions and responses though. Hope to see some of you in-game!

BarkingSpider
11-10-2016, 04:23 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions! It was a toss between Cleric or Necro, ultimately went Necro because leveling speed is kind of important to me, and I felt like if I couldn't find a group for an hour or 2 as a Cleric it would just be dead / wasted time. Where as on a Necro if I can't find a group, I can also solo just fine.

I read the Necro wiki, specifically the guide by Sesserdrix which basically teaches a noob like me how to be a good a Necro. I went with Iksar after finding out about the synergy between Iksar regen and the Lich line of spells. Also I figured if I was a race that was hated practically every where in the game, it would allow me to kill guards for gold while leveling, without the worry of ruining any important faction for me. I figure if I can solo level off guards that drop 5-10p per kill, then I could realistically gear myself up while leveling with some of the basic stuff needed for Necros like HP/Mana jewelery etc. Where as if I was a Cleric, I have no idea how I'd get $$$ while leveling for upgrades, as well as new spells.

I just got lvl 14 earlier and went back to buy my level 12 spells, which are all like 5p already, so I can only buy specific spells that I absolutely need for leveling. I imagine the prices for spells are only going to get even more crazy. So the whole guards killing idea was a pretty big deciding factor in choosing Necro over Cleric.

I appreciate all the suggestions and responses though. Hope to see some of you in-game!

Entee
11-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Hey guys, don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but I had a couple questions about Bards since so many people have suggested it.

I'm also a new player to the server although I don't have any higher level friends, I found out about it randomly when searching for WoW private servers. I've spent the last couple hours setting the game up and reading through the forums and have finally decided that I think I am going to go with a Bard for my first character.

I like the idea of "swarm leveling" and being able to level by myself completely naked, which is what I'll be when I make my character haha. But also the fact that at it's core it is a strong group class, so once I've gotten to higher levels I hope I'll be welcomed into groups as well.

My question is, when I create my Bard does the race or stats matter very much? I've read that Dex is for making your songs successful, so should I dump all my points into that? Wood looks like the coolest to me, but is there a reason to go a different race instead?

Again sorry for the thread hijack, and thanks!

Evia
11-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but I had a couple questions about Bards since so many people have suggested it.

I'm also a new player to the server although I don't have any higher level friends, I found out about it randomly when searching for WoW private servers. I've spent the last couple hours setting the game up and reading through the forums and have finally decided that I think I am going to go with a Bard for my first character.

I like the idea of "swarm leveling" and being able to level by myself completely naked, which is what I'll be when I make my character haha. But also the fact that at it's core it is a strong group class, so once I've gotten to higher levels I hope I'll be welcomed into groups as well.

My question is, when I create my Bard does the race or stats matter very much? I've read that Dex is for making your songs successful, so should I dump all my points into that? Wood looks like the coolest to me, but is there a reason to go a different race instead?

Again sorry for the thread hijack, and thanks!

Race for bard doesnt matter much. Some bards think dex is king, some think cha is king, some think it's all about that HP end game so sta is king. The main thing to do well with your bard if you plan on swarming is practicing how to do that well to avoid deaths. I'd watch some youtube videos on it and just practice near zone lines incase you need to bail.

Zekayy
11-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Roll necromancer don't need any gear to kick ass

RDawg816
11-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Bards are uniquely awesome. If you swarm to level, you might have problems grouping higher up. They are vastly different techniques and to be good at one way is hard enough, much less both (especially if you've never done the other way.) Swarming is faster, but if you do go this route I'd recommend grouping as often as possible

Swish
11-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Bard kiting tutorial from your pals over on P99 red server >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBDPkpVPneE

Baler
11-12-2016, 07:18 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2397887&postcount=17

Just going to leave this plat making guide here....

Salahdin
11-12-2016, 07:47 PM
Yep.

Chanter with cheap cha gear gunna be ur money maker.

korilla
11-12-2016, 08:13 PM
you can hit 50 the fastest as a soloing mage since they're like least dependent geared class and even the most expensive spells are relatively cheap compared to other classes. then you can farm stuff and make money, ezpz.

dbouya
11-13-2016, 04:15 AM
cleric's are the most popular class in groups, necromancers one of the least.

it's not all upside as a necromancer.

Korrupt
11-13-2016, 08:52 AM
ill be honest, cleric probably gonna be fastest if you like to group, its easily done if your not garbage at this game to get constant tells when you log on for another group not even looking for one. probably the fastest character to get geared as well tbh

id say druid and necro soloing, 3rd enchanter, can trade clarity for ports, farm stuff, be invited to groups all the time.

best of luck to ya

Lunababy
11-15-2016, 01:16 AM
One does not simply get to level 60 fast in EQ

Lord_Snow
11-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Ya getting to 60 fast without Chardok is gonna be slow. Make an enc. You will never have problems getting groups. And if you can't get a group then just solo. Encs make tons of cash

Muggens
11-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Dont rush it, enjoy the game and get to 55 and have fun with your pals.

Tunebearer
12-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Bard is probably the quickest solo

Crawdad
12-06-2016, 05:57 PM
If you want to be lazy, druid or necro. If you want to actually play the game, enchanter. Or bard if you want to trigger people.

Triiz
12-06-2016, 06:13 PM

My main is a 60 bard and I can tell you there has not been one time in 60 levels I ever said "If only I had put my points in Charisma!", super over rated imo.

Dex is also somewhat over rated for starting out since missed notes are pretty inconsequential and finding Dex gear for bards is pretty easy.

On the other hand, there have been hundreds of times I wished I had put all my points into Sta and +Sta bard items aren't as easy to come by as +Dex for bards.

A dead bard isn't useful to anyone, and +sta and +hp gear is the easiest way to die less often.

skarlorn
12-06-2016, 06:34 PM

Issar
12-06-2016, 07:05 PM
OP, good call on the necro. It sounds like you know what you are doing based on your decision process. With regards to spells, your ability to make money will overshadow the vendor spell costs around mid levels.

I've never leveled a Necro, but I have played an old friend's way back in kunark and velious on live quite a bit. They are incredibly fun at the higher levels.

Best of luck!

nostalgiaquest
12-06-2016, 07:09 PM
I was just like you a few months ago. Started naked and knowing no one. Decided to go with enchanter and it is by far the best choice.

Getting from 1-12 is a bit of a pain in the ass, but at lvl 12 you get charm and from there it's a whole new ball game. You kill mobs two at a time for very little mana investment and downtime. There's also multiple guides on this forum for different charming camps/strats.

And you're always wanted in groups too if the solo life gets boring.

Bruno
12-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Mage is a pretty solid class for leveling with low resources. Solid deeps, easy to get groups, decent support, and pretty dummy proof.

Topgunben
12-08-2016, 12:11 AM
Some friends of mine who already play on the server have convinced me to give p99 a shot. Since they're level 60 already, I want to get up to 55+ as soon as possible so I can start grouping and playing with them. I have zero plat, and told my friends I didn't want any free items or power leveling because I wanted to not only experience the server fresh, but also to see how well I can do for myself by the time I hit 60.

I have many different playstyles in MMOs, sometimes a healer, sometimes a caster, sometimes melee dps etc. so I don't have a preference one way or the other. I'm down to play just about anything, so long as I can make it work with absolutely zero cash and preferably in a quick time line.

Considering those things, which class would you guys suggest I make to start off as my first character on the server to get to level 60 with, as quickly as possible, with zero money for items, spells, weapons etc.?

Thanks!

you should try a Neckbeard Poopsocker

every other race class combo is a joke compared to that.

Nekkojakk
12-08-2016, 07:49 PM
I'd go with Druid or Necro. Both powerful soloers that don't require gear. Neither is a groups first choice but can still find groups. Druid can sell ports and the Necro will have an easier time knocking down mobs for plat.

Don't go Enchanter, too many on the server already and most of them suck.

Worst
12-08-2016, 08:41 PM
I'd go with Druid or Necro. Both powerful soloers that don't require gear. Neither is a groups first choice but can still find groups. Druid can sell ports and the Necro will have an easier time knocking down mobs for plat.

Don't go Enchanter, too many on the server already and most of them suck.

To be fair, in regards to popularity, there is a sea of Necros & Druids on the server.

However, they're all off stroking their bones & saplings in the woods somewhere, alone.

Jorgam
12-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Just need to be lvl 40 to group with them for xp.

Castigate
12-09-2016, 12:29 AM
Fastest in theory?
Bard
Fastest for someone new to Everquest/P99?
Enchanter

maskedmelon
12-09-2016, 08:06 AM
To be fair, in regards to popularity, there is a sea of Necros & Druids on the server.

However, they're all off stroking their bones & saplings in the woods somewhere, alone.

^ accurate

Tegumiril
12-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Enchanter. I had some help from friends, but started from scratch. 1-51 in 44 days. After that it slows radically. Enchanters are also a high demand class due to their panoply of buffs and CC.

Chanters are the swiss army knife of EQ, they can charm, haste, levi, invis, invis v undead, mess, memblurr, etc. Taken as a whole, chanter's rapidly develop into an insanely powerful class in the hands of the right player.

Or Necro, necros can solo their way to victory and make money doing it. I love necros in my groups, but I'm a solid minority it seems, so if you play a necro expect to solo.

Necros are a swiss army knife class too, anything an enchanter can do, they can do better.... to dead people. If you like collecting diseases and sharing them with people while you play with your jabober; that's the class for you.

Did I mention that necros can solo?

Solo!

Lhancelot
12-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Enchanter. I had some help from friends, but started from scratch. 1-51 in 44 days. After that it slows radically. Enchanters are also a high demand class due to their panoply of buffs and CC.

Chanters are the swiss army knife of EQ, they can charm, haste, levi, invis, invis v undead, mess, memblurr, etc. Taken as a whole, chanter's rapidly develop into an insanely powerful class in the hands of the right player.

Or Necro, necros can solo their way to victory and make money doing it. I love necros in my groups, but I'm a solid minority it seems, so if you play a necro expect to solo.

Necros are a swiss army knife class too, anything an enchanter can do, they can do better.... to dead people. If you like collecting diseases and sharing them with people while you play with your jabober; that's the class for you.

Did I mention that necros can solo?

Solo!

Damn, nice word. "Panoply." I never read or seen this word! Thanks. :p