PDA

View Full Version : DPS difference between Ranger and Warrior?

VincentVolaju
11-07-2016, 05:42 AM
Wondering how much of a difference there is DPS wise between a Ranger and Warrior (non-proc weapons/not tanking)? Rangers and Warriors can use most of the same weapons, right? So shouldn't their DPS be similar, just defenses that separate them?

Jimjam
11-07-2016, 06:24 AM
They are roughly equitable until the ranger croaks it from AoEs or stealing aggro. ;) :D

Xaeophi
11-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Rangers have abilities that give them more attack.. and...trueshot discipline weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Pyrion
11-07-2016, 06:53 AM
Warriors will have more DPS while they are below 40% HP. You can't make an ogre ranger (would be cool though), so most warriors will have higher strength score, unless the ranger is heavily twinked. That said, rangers do have some spells that will get them better DPS one way or another. So, that might even it out.

azeth
11-07-2016, 07:36 AM
A warrior below 40% can be the 2nd highest dps behind rogue

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Ranger with BFG + Trueshot can out DPS rogues.

maskedmelon
11-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Rangers have atk buffs to decrease the gap created by lower offensive skill caps and can weave nukes between melee rounds in faster paced groups, or dots in slow groups, which puts them on par with or ahead of non-berserking warriors. Once they get moved to the same damage tables as warriors they'll be dong better yet ^^

hillgiantchamp
11-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Warriors have critical hits at all hp % and crippling blows under 40% war > ranger. Also war get tripple attack at lvl 60

Warriors can even crit with bows making them better then rangers with bow before discs

If your a well geared well hasted individual casting a bad DoT or low dd nuke will only hurt your dps

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 12:36 PM
As far as general group DPS goes, I'd say a good ranger would consistently out DPS a good warrior, but an average ranger would be on par with a bad warrior. One thing that makes a big difference is Dark Cloak of the Sky - even with a haster I always have mine bound, so when haste drops or gets dispelled the cloak haste takes over right away. In outdoor zones rangers have Greater Wolf Form which is a significant DPS boost, not to mention Strength of Nature and Call of the Predator (which rangers should always be casting on their group members). There's also Call of Fire which makes both weapons proc a 68 nuke, which draws a lot of aggro but can be managed (by a good ranger) with jolt. There's also Calefaction - a 450 nuke, but also a significant mana drain and not terribly sustainable if used regularly, and also draws aggro. I usually opt for Call of Flame which does 206 and has a faster cast time for half the mana. And lastly, if tanking the ranger's damage shields stack pretty nicely and add up to about 26 damage per hit.

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Warriors can even crit with bows making them better then rangers with bow before discs

Rangers also critically hit with bows.

If your a well geared well hasted individual casting a bad DoT or low dd nuke will only hurt your dps

Not necessarily true for Call of Flame and Calefaction - the other nukes are too little for too long of a cast time. I agree with you on DoTs though - the only DoT a ranger should ever mem in a group is Flame Lick.

Egilmn
11-07-2016, 12:56 PM
That said, rangers do have some spells that will get them better DPS one way or another. So, that might even it out.

This is true and something no one ever thinks about or considers. Whatever dps increase that an entire melee group gains from the +atk of call of the predator directly goes to the ranger's dps. Plus all the other groups that this ranger has buffed. If no ranger was at the raid then that dps wouldn't be there.

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 01:07 PM
If a BFG ranger gets out DPSed by a warrior on any raid mob then they either got extremely unlucky from fears or they are extremely bad.

Naethyn
11-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Anyone who says ranger doesn't know what they are talking about. Triple attack with a 2h is better than 2.5 second nukes any day. The real competition for rangers is between monks.

Ciroco
11-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Anyone who says ranger doesn't know what they are talking about. Triple attack with a 2h is better than 2.5 second nukes any day. The real competition for rangers is between monks.

The cast time isn't actually 2.5 seconds.

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Yeah, wiki data is way off for ranger/druid spells. Call of Flame for instance is half a second, it's practically 0 impediment to melee damage with an 18-second cooldown. I kinda look at it like ranger's version of Flying Kick.

In any case, what Naethyn is suggesting is that warriors consistently out DPS monks, which definitely doesn't align with my playing experience. I mean, I'm taking in all factors here - monk epic haste makes a big difference (even with a haster), ranger clicky cloak makes a big difference, the fact that Swiftwind is 40% haste and probably easier to obtain than the warrior 40% haste items makes a big difference, etc. Call of Fire damage is also pretty significant, even though some of it will be counteracted by time wasted casting jolt.

If we're pitting ranger against warrior as a group's tank with only their own resources, then ranger is going to out DPS warrior every time. And cost the cleric way more mana ;)

Naethyn
11-07-2016, 02:03 PM
I keep dps charts of every fight I attend and the reality is this.

Damage Shield > Berserk Precision 2H Warrior > Enchanter/Necro/Druid Charm > Rogue > Warrior No Disc > Monk/Ranger > Paladin/Shadowknight

Wizards and Mages don't show up on the parse.

Ciroco
11-07-2016, 02:07 PM
If your Rangers aren't trueshotting, then yeah, that's about right (our monks generally beat no disc warriors though). You won't see the nukes, but there's a short list of raid mobs that are worth casting on.

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 02:08 PM
You haven't parsed a BFG ranger who knows how to use BFG then. And parsing a raid encounter with disciplines and all the factors that go into raiding like mob AC, AoE fears, etc. is going to look a lot different than parsing in a group.

Naethyn
11-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Lol - yes, yes I have. A bfg ranger does 112 dps to vindi. A berserk precision warrior does 136 dps. A good rogue is 120. Just as example. It's you who haven't seen a competent dps war with a Gaudralek.

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Nah, I don't think so. I've seen ranger do way more than 112 - most rangers are pretty lazy though and don't use good arrows for raid bosses.

My original argument was about rangers in a group role anyway. I misspoke here cause I wasn't considering warrior offensive discs:

If a BFG ranger gets out DPSed by a warrior on any raid mob then they either got extremely unlucky from fears or they are extremely bad.

A BFG ranger that does not suck, however, will *easily* out DPS rogues.

Naethyn
11-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Maybe a non primal rogue.

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Well, if we're talking sheer resourcefulness, a ranger could always proc a primal before/during a raid fight too.

Naethyn
11-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Preprocing Primal is a given for anything I've said.

Lojik
11-07-2016, 02:45 PM
I mean...i think the best answer here is "it depends." If you're talking about DPS in leveling groups, rangers probably gonna win...unless the warrior is in awakened and won DKP loot rights to vulak loot or something for their 46 lvl alt. 95% or more of people who roll warriors on this server will never attain the items required for them to consistently out DPS competently geared rangers (cloak of the sky, ranger epic, SBoZ all pretty easily attainable IMO.)

If you're talking DPS on raid mobs, then it's also probably "it depends," but as the gear gets better the balance starts to weigh more heavily for warriors.

azeth
11-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Lol - yes, yes I have. A bfg ranger does 112 dps to vindi. A berserk precision warrior does 136 dps. A good rogue is 120. Just as example. It's you who haven't seen a competent dps war with a Gaudralek.

160*

paul think you've been out of the game too long. No ranger is showing up on charts. Not 1.

As Naethyn states, raid mobs die due to:

Damage shield
Charm pets
Rogues
Random insane berserk warriors
The rest of you

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Nah, there are just very few rangers who are crazy enough to blow ~500 plat every fight on 8 dmg arrows, plus the annoyance of refletching them. Even just summoning enough with Tolan's Bracer for each fight is too much to ask a lot of the time.

And besides, raid fights are just edge cases. Raiding on P99 is for assholes and masochists. I'm talking about grouping.

Jimjam
11-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Warrior is better group damage.
Reason: warriors get more groups!

paulgiamatti
11-07-2016, 06:01 PM
It's true - but the thing is, in my 6 or so years on the server I don't think I've ever seen someone say, "Let's get that warrior, we need some DPS!" I mean, I'm not saying they're bad DPS in groups, but warriors get groups cause people want a tank. And it's funny because with Velious gear rangers make amazing tanks with the best snap aggro in the game - not to mention basically everything a ranger does is an aggro magnet, so not having to mitigate that as a tank increases DPS output a shitton. I often find myself switching spots with the warrior and letting the warrior do zerker DPS.

maskedmelon
11-07-2016, 06:33 PM
I often find myself switching spots with the warrior and letting the warrior do zerker DPS.

^ This is how to do it ^^Ranger good dps and SOLID aggro.

Cecily
11-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Nah, there are just very few rangers who are crazy enough to blow ~500 plat every fight on 8 dmg arrows, plus the annoyance of refletching them. Even just summoning enough with Tolan's Bracer for each fight is too much to ask a lot of the time.

And besides, raid fights are just edge cases. Raiding on P99 is for assholes and masochists. I'm talking about grouping.

BFG 8 DMG arrow rangers are on par with end game kunark rogues. It's a nice trick for 1 raid boos per while.

VincentVolaju
11-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Haha yeah everyone is talking about raiding. Sorry I should have mentioned, I was only referring to leveling 1-60, and random item farming groups w/ some friends. Not really interested in raids.

trite
11-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Haha yeah everyone is talking about raiding. Sorry I should have mentioned, I was only referring to leveling 1-60, and random item farming groups w/ some friends. Not really interested in raids.

If you weren't talking bout raiding you pretty much answered your own question .....warriors crush rangers on raid DPS because of disciplines

thufir
11-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Not much different, in that case. If you're talking equipment that average people are likely to have from 1-59, their damage will be very similar. Offense skill caps are the same on both classes.

Warriors get crits and crips, rangers get spells and procs. It about balances out. Rangers do get cheaper weapons, since there's a bunch of ranger-only stuff out there that most people don't want, so if you have a limited amount of money your ranger will probably do more damage for the plat you have.