PDA

View Full Version : P99 Auction Logger (ahungry) is NOT closing (and never will)

tristantio
11-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Since it's been awhile since I've mentioned it in a thread, and it seems a fair amount of players were aware of the now defunct P99 Auctions site but unaware of the original auction site:

http://ahungry.com/eqauctions/

is up and running as always, with a new search that jumps right to a bookmarkable page such as this one for Hand of the Reaper:

http://ahungry.com/action/eq/item-detail/Hand+of+the+Reaper

It includes price averages (week / month / all time) in all item tooltips as well, and the original style page (live feed with filters to change the view) is at:

http://ahungry.com/eqauctions-live

As always, all client and server code is AGPLv3 licensed and available on my github.

Movember
11-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Good reminder Tristantio - used this for years.

Dronuspk
11-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Nice, thanks!

Speedi
11-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Kudos to you for doing this.

With that said I have a question. Why don't you get with the owner of p99auctions and implement his code/layout to your site? The guy seems pretty laid back. I can't see them objecting to it.

Why keep driving a pinto, when you could possibly have a Ferrari? Something to think about.

Lhancelot
11-04-2016, 01:06 AM

With that said I have a question. Why don't you get with the owner of p99auctions and implement his code/layout to your site? The guy seems pretty laid back. I can't see them objecting to it.

Why keep driving a pinto, when you could possibly have a Ferrari? Something to think about.

Guy provides us with his alternative auction site, and you call it a Pinto. Harsh.

RDawg816
11-04-2016, 01:21 AM
Guy provides us with his alternative auction site, and you call it a Pinto. Harsh.

It's not an alternative though. It's "the original"... there's nothing wrong with an upgrade. Consider it constructive criticism?

Deji
11-05-2016, 02:19 AM

Kind of a dickish way to phrase a suggestion, but meh

Speedi
11-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Kind of a dickish way to phrase a suggestion, but meh

I don't sugar coat, and the analogy fit

I said Kudos to him for his site. And I meant it, if a person cant handle constructive criticism. Oh well.

Pokesan
11-05-2016, 03:05 AM
they always return to the scene of the crime

QFuzzle
11-05-2016, 04:38 AM
I'm glad we have you're site to fall back on. Thanks for keeping it going.

Lhancelot
11-05-2016, 10:07 AM
they always return to the scene of the crime

Awesome analogy. Not sure if it's true but still very well put if that's the case. :D

Swish
11-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Used to be a great site and I had the logger set up for it for ages. Then came the ads, and I understand why they're there but it did stop me using it.

myriverse
11-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Always been my favourite P99 auction site.

I whitelisted it long ago, but I don't see any ads. /shrug

And I sortta have a crush on that cute logo.

*shameful facepalm*

xKoopa
11-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Always been my favourite P99 auction site.

I whitelisted it long ago, but I don't see any ads. /shrug

And I sortta have a crush on that cute logo.

*shameful facepalm*

yea i never saw the ads either but i guess thats what adblock does :o

Swish
11-05-2016, 06:22 PM
There was a period on it where if you had adblock up you couldn't use the site. Smart really, except a lot of people stopped using it.

Zekayy
11-05-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm glad we have you're site to fall back on. Thanks for keeping it going.

Fall back on? it came before p99 auctions

Zekayy
11-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah the ads is what stopped me from using please dont bring them back

Ursus
11-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Fall back on? it came before p99 auctions

"Fall back on" doesn't imply newer. It implies less preferred. Like, if my car dies I fall back on my bike.

tristantio
11-05-2016, 10:38 PM
You can quote me on this, I will not have the ads on any portion of my site ever again (I've removed all Google things, from the ads to the analytics).

Also, I don't quite thing the pinto car analogy works entirely, as the engine in both sites is essentially the same (last I benchmarked, my searches were faster as well).

A closer analogy would be similar to that mock lamborghini someone built on top of a regular car (same engine, but looks like a lamborghini)

tristantio
11-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Anyways, if there are any specific features people want, feel free to mention them here, or file a pull request at https://github.com/ahungry/com.ahungry if you're tech savvy (but atm I'm working on removing all third party lib dependencies, as I feel things like bootstrap on front end just bloat the site).

Sirelk
11-06-2016, 12:31 AM
It's nice to have. Thank you, trist.

QFuzzle
11-06-2016, 05:46 AM
"Fall back on" doesn't imply newer. It implies less preferred. Like, if my car dies I fall back on my bike.

Correct. Ty.

Ursus
11-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Question - Earlier today I logged in, turned on logging, and ran the uploader before leaving the house. It ran for about 5 hours with me sitting in the tunnel. When I came home and refreshed the "Live" page, the most recent it still shows is 2 hours ago. The uploader is still running, shows the correct character name as the active log, and says it's been uploading every 60 seconds. Is there some parameter I'm missing to contribute my data?

Baler
11-06-2016, 07:39 PM
I've been using ahungry (http://ahungry.com/eqauctions-live)for years now. Thanks for keeping it going and finding ways to improve it! Especially now more then ever.

Lhancelot
11-06-2016, 07:48 PM
I've been using ahungery for years now.

If you are going to plug something, at least spell it properly. It's "Ahungry", not "ahungery" ffs.

Lhancelot
11-06-2016, 08:34 PM
I've been using ahungry (http://ahungry.com/eqauctions-live)for years now. Thanks for keeping it going and finding ways to improve it! Especially now more then ever.

:p

Ursus
11-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Question - Earlier today I logged in, turned on logging, and ran the uploader before leaving the house. It ran for about 5 hours with me sitting in the tunnel. When I came home and refreshed the "Live" page, the most recent it still shows is 2 hours ago. The uploader is still running, shows the correct character name as the active log, and says it's been uploading every 60 seconds. Is there some parameter I'm missing to contribute my data?

Hmn. A few hours later and it's still showing the same line as 2 hours ago, so I'm guessing something either crashed or my cache is somehow stuck.

tristantio
11-06-2016, 10:13 PM
One thing is that the time stamps are derived from the times in your log, vs when the log is uploaded, but the server time is ET. Are you in a non-ET timezone? That is likely why you're seeing the discrepancy.

tristantio
11-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Should be updating as normal again

Ursus
11-06-2016, 10:56 PM
One thing is that the time stamps are derived from the times in your log, vs when the log is uploaded, but the server time is ET. Are you in a non-ET timezone? That is likely why you're seeing the discrepancy.

So the live feed isn't actually a live feed, unless everyone uploading is in the EST timezone?

Lhancelot
11-06-2016, 11:22 PM
So the live feed isn't actually a live feed, unless everyone uploading is in the EST timezone?

I think the saying goes... "You can't have your cake, and eat it too"?

tristantio
11-06-2016, 11:32 PM
I've always been the primary uploader, and never got around to revising that early part of the codebase (that handles log timestamps from other timezones), so for almost all intents and purposes, the live feed is always a live feed (if someone is uploading logs from ET).

Ursus
11-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Gotcha. Cheers for clarifying.

Oashy
11-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Hi,

How do you prevent your database being flooded like the P99Auctions has been ?

Oashy.

Woest
11-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Hi,

How do you prevent your database being flooded like the P99Auctions has been ?

Oashy.

Thats simple. He wouldn't flood his own site...

Oashy
11-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Thats simple. He wouldn't flood his own site...

Read on http://ahungry.com/eqauctions :

The auction logger works by having the p1999 gaming community upload logs from their local log file (turned on by typing /log in game) and running this program here

Oashy