PDA

View Full Version : When Gfay WAS the EC tunnel on live

kgallowaypa
10-27-2016, 01:44 PM
So I recall a time on live somewhere around Kunark Era where Greater Faydark was the equivalent to what we now have in the EC tunnel on p99. I was on the Vallon Zek pvp server at that time so maybe other servers not PvP based still had EC tunnel as their central trading hub prior to the Bazaar in the Luclin expansion.

Was this a thing if anyone remembers?

Vandil
10-27-2016, 01:54 PM
I played on the Test Server from Velious to LDoN.

Until the Bazaar came out with Luclin, the shopping was decentralized to several hubs.

There was one in the North Freeport Bank, one in EC tunnel, one in Gfay by the Butcherblock zone, and one in Thurgadin bank. If you were looking for something in particular, or for a particular price, you had to travel to all four spots. Likewise for selling.

We also had people selling food/drink/supplies in interesting places, like standing by the merchant in Aviak village in SK, or the NK gypsy camp, or the port-in spot in South Ro.

Salamarr
10-27-2016, 01:54 PM
So I recall a time on live somewhere around Kunark Era where Greater Faydark was the equivalent to what we now have in the EC tunnel on p99. I was on the Vallon Zek pvp server at that time so maybe other servers not PvP based still had EC tunnel as their central trading hub prior to the Bazaar in the Luclin expansion.

Was this a thing if anyone remembers?

I came from Tarew Marr and EC was the main hub eventually, but in the beginning there was a hub market in Gfay and EC.

xKoopa
10-27-2016, 02:01 PM
Nfp/gfay/ec were all used on diff servers

I think ec was the main selling spot regardless of server tho, gfay was just for those elf scrubs

Zaela
10-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Definitely just depended on the server. Gfay was the hub on a later-added server called Xev. Was fun getting there and back as a newbie iksar in the teens.

meanhappyguy
10-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Gbay was the main hub on Tunare until Luclin, but like Vandil mentioned, Thurg, NFP, and the tunnel were all kind of mini-hubs.

fadetree
10-27-2016, 02:23 PM
EC was the hub on Fennin, with some activity in Gfay.

big_ole_jpn
10-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Nfp/gfay/ec were all used on diff servers

I think ec was the main selling spot regardless of server tho, gfay was just for those elf scrubs

Nah, it was 100% gfay on Sol Ro. EC totally vacant.

Ravager
10-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Povar was GFay if I remember right. I started originally on Bristlebane, but then switched to Povar to be on the same server as my sister and I thought it was weird that everyone was buying and selling there. They called it Faymart.

thufir
10-27-2016, 02:44 PM
As people are saying, server-dependent. Was gfay on Xegony during this era. Discombobulated me somewhat when I got here and everyone was clustered in EC.

EC makes more sense though. Gfay is an awful place for evil characters. I suspect that whether the trading hub was gfay or EC depends partially on the good/evil ratio at server start and partially on the druid/wizard ratio in early days.

Nathaniel
10-27-2016, 02:49 PM
On Veeshan server it was all in North Freeport. Bags of stuff behind Jade's FTW!

kgallowaypa
10-27-2016, 03:11 PM
On vallon zek since it was team based pvp, you would always have gankers who would /ooc selling FBSS or something ridiculous and tell them to meet at the LFay zone line and then they would be ganked out of their plat. Was brutal and really deceiving but a lot of this happened and infamy grew

azeth
10-27-2016, 05:08 PM
rodcet nife was all gfay til luclin

id never heard of the "tunnel" til p99

Izmael
10-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Saryrn was NFP, people who were KoS would usually hang behind the Jade tavern where they were safe, and other people would have to walk to them to trade.

IMO a far superior place for a market than EC but that's just my opinion.

utenan
10-27-2016, 05:40 PM
So why was gfay a trading center? I never saw it on live so I'm curious. The tunnel makes sense because of its central location and proximity to a good and evil city

thufir
10-27-2016, 05:42 PM
So why was gfay a trading center? I never saw it on live so I'm curious. The tunnel makes sense because of its central location and proximity to a good and evil city

My guess was wizard teleports as well as the ease of creating banker alts. It's the only zone as far as I know that has both a teleport location and a bank.

vincenzo
10-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Nah, it was 100% gfay on Sol Ro. EC totally vacant.
100% true. Sol Ro was GFay only for trading.

I remember making a toon on Nameless to play with some friends and was totally confused when they told me that I had to go to EC to trade instead of GFay.

maskedmelon
10-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Veeshan was NFP where it should be ^^

Kender
10-27-2016, 08:12 PM
bertox and stromm were ec

lonmoer
10-27-2016, 09:39 PM
North Freeport is the OG trading zone. Veeshan fo lyfe

Naesunij
10-27-2016, 10:08 PM
I always thought it was GFay on Rallos cause the NPC guards brought some order if someone tried ganking during a trade. Although during Kunark with stronger players compared to the guards it started to become an issue.

Xaanka
10-27-2016, 10:12 PM
more like Grayer Faydark am i right?

Xaanka
10-27-2016, 10:12 PM
lesser faydark brownie village, and clan Runnyeye bank are the only places i trade

Turp
10-28-2016, 12:51 AM
It was like that on VZ because of the team pvp. Gfay / OT and EC was the three major spots.

elwing
10-28-2016, 01:51 AM
I can definitely confirm that on VZ, for lighties at least, the bazaar was in Gfay, and EC was generally a low population zone with frequent skirmishes between lighties and darkies near nek zone...

Alanus
10-28-2016, 08:38 AM
E'ci was mostly East Commonlands. A bit of trading in g fay but mostly EC.

Odann
10-28-2016, 09:25 AM
bertox and stromm were ec

Came here to say this as well. Bertoxx was EC all the way, which sucked as a Wood Elf.

Nameless was also EC until that shitshow of a server got shutdown for the rampant duping scandal.

myriverse
10-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Yeah. My first visit to EC on Nameless, in Oct99, I lagged out due to overpopulation.

OluMide
10-28-2016, 09:57 AM
No way I played on Rodcet from launch and it was always like 50/50 EC/GFay

Can second this. Was on Rodcet from Kunark onwards, and EC was a big. Remember having sellers lining up from T1 to T3 due to how crowded it was.

azeth
10-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Can second this. Was on Rodcet from Kunark onwards, and EC was a big. Remember having sellers lining up from T1 to T3 due to how crowded it was.

Never once bought or sold anything in the freeport area 99-04

Xaanka
10-28-2016, 10:10 AM
the really lame roleplaying servers and the teams pvp server used gfay as a trading hub that's about it

aarkhon
10-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Terris Thule occupied the Tunnel in EC from the entrance all the way to Shady, as well as the area near the Bank in NFP. I think this was because the Terris Thule server was a split from when Bertoxx was halved (maybe even split in thirds, I don't recall exactly), and a lot of the old habits came with the players that switched.

I also played on Xegony with a friend at school I saw wearing an EQ Velious shirt one day; they traded in "FayMart". I never really understood why, but I guess I usually play the good races.. so it never was a problem for me.

On an unrelated note; HHK was poppin' on Terris Thule... there were camps in the main room, seers, warrior room, and raiders.. I'm pretty sure.. and always someone/a group upstairs. Now I think everyone goes to SolA and MM? Funny how that works.

big_ole_jpn
10-28-2016, 10:42 AM
^yeah I played on Terris Thule, every room in HK basement was its own camp. It was pretty great. Most people got no idea what WR, GR, LR, RR are nowadays.

Atmas
10-28-2016, 10:58 AM
It was GBay on Tallon Zek. Most likely because of the high convenience of a direct early-ish level port.

Axlrose
10-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Bristlebroken was The Tunnel.

xKoopa
10-28-2016, 11:26 AM
^yeah I played on Terris Thule, every room in HK basement was its own camp. It was pretty great. Most people got no idea what WR, GR, LR, RR are nowadays.

These were the camps on emarr too

Blows my mind that i used to sit in a group to camp 3 mobs LOL

Jimjam
10-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Yea, but the 3 melee in the group were using 6/26 weapons instead of 9/18. You had two priests and an enchanter that didn't charm. The group was probably pulling a third of the dps a p99 group would (and that is assuming people knew what they were doing. They didn't ;)).

Those 4 spawn rooms put out a lot of pressure on a group!

Xaanka
10-28-2016, 12:13 PM
Terris Thule occupied the Tunnel in EC from the entrance all the way to Shady, as well as the area near the Bank in NFP. I think this was because the Terris Thule server was a split from when Bertoxx was halved (maybe even split in thirds, I don't recall exactly), and a lot of the old habits came with the players that switched.

I also played on Xegony with a friend at school I saw wearing an EQ Velious shirt one day; they traded in "FayMart". I never really understood why, but I guess I usually play the good races.. so it never was a problem for me.

On an unrelated note; HHK was poppin' on Terris Thule... there were camps in the main room, seers, warrior room, and raiders.. I'm pretty sure.. and always someone/a group upstairs. Now I think everyone goes to SolA and MM? Funny how that works.

my memory's a lil hazy bit i think Xegony was the only launch server that didn't use EC tunnel or freeport.

Nitsude
10-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Gfay on Rallos Zek.

big_ole_jpn
10-28-2016, 12:34 PM

Yea, but the 3 melee in the group were using 6/26 weapons instead of 9/18. You had two priests and an enchanter that didn't charm. The group was probably pulling a third of the dps a p99 group would (and that is assuming people knew what they were doing. They didn't ;)).

Those 4 spawn rooms put out a lot of pressure on a group!

it was cozy as hell. I remember meeting people who actually bothered with RPing down there. Finding it vacant / the entire basement being considered one camp on p99 was a big letdown, really epitomizes the loss of the good things about classic on this server.

Jimjam
10-28-2016, 12:51 PM
This is why we need to roll back the server. Not before velious, not before kunark, not before planes, not before temple of sol ro, but before dragons were properly itemised! Itemisation of the dragon loot tables was the beginning of the end of classic EQ. *strokes hipster beard*

mr_jon3s
10-28-2016, 01:48 PM
I played 7th hammer and it was gfay and EC. Gfay used to be really packed back in the day easily 200 people. Tons of lowbie groups.

Mythanor
10-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Quellious here, since August of 99, and it was always EC Tunnel.

Arkonis
10-28-2016, 05:16 PM
On Povar Gfay was the spot for sure. There was an EC tunnel area but nothing like it is here. Gfay was the place to be.

Teppler
10-28-2016, 07:53 PM
It was nfp on Drinal during Kunark/Velious.

korilla
10-29-2016, 11:18 PM
Gfay was the spot in Xev server. even during luclin era.

Cenii
10-30-2016, 12:33 AM
Povar was GFay if I remember right. I started originally on Bristlebane, but then switched to Povar to be on the same server as my sister and I thought it was weird that everyone was buying and selling there. They called it Faymart.

i remember faymart.

khordale
11-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Povar was a launch server and we definitely used Gfey. It was referred to as Feymart. :)
Evils and bigs could bank there, you just needed an invis to get up to the bank and then bank from around the corner!

I only played on Povar from launch on live so I remember thinking how odd it was that all the trading happened in EC tunnel here on P99.

Salahdin
11-01-2016, 11:25 PM
On Xev both EC Tunnel and Gfay were auction points, also:

/auc WTS 5 bags of 100-500pp items mainly melee items, armor and a few weapons -- hail me to see @gfay bank area

^--- those were the days boys, those were the days.

dbouya
11-02-2016, 01:12 PM
I came from Tarew Marr and EC was the main hub eventually, but in the beginning there was a hub market in Gfay and EC.

Yeah EC became the hub pretty quick, I do remember very early on a few people meeting and trading around north freeport bank though.

Who were you on tarew marr? 1999-2001 I was daya and 2003-2005 I was drael.

joppykid
11-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Gbay was the main hub on Tunare until Luclin, but like Vandil mentioned, Thurg, NFP, and the tunnel were all kind of mini-hubs.

I played on Tunare as well and was always letting people look at my bags in the hut next to bank. Miss the non item link days.

grimmier
11-02-2016, 05:16 PM
it was EC on Lanys T'Vyl as well