PDA

View Full Version : Hopes for the future of p99

Mizaro Moonfire
10-18-2016, 05:24 AM
If no further expansions are coming out. Then I hope that at least they will consider custom content changes. Something that keeps with the spirit of classic, and yet makes improvements. Such as increasing pally ,sk damage, improving wizard mana efficiency, maybe better raid mechanics. And even custom zones with new raids for endgame. What do you hope for future content?

Tecmos Deception
10-18-2016, 06:33 AM
What do you hope for future content?

It being wiped clean.

paulgiamatti
10-18-2016, 07:18 AM
It's been considered, as stated numerous times by several GMs & developers, but it's silly to start thinking about it right now because we're like half-way through Velious. Custom content is a thing that they might start thinking about long after the final Velious patch goes in, and the Velious timeline might stretch on for another couple years. A recycle/green/classic TLP server and the Discord server are higher on the priorities list than custom content, and those will be huge undertakings in and of themselves. So there have been no guarantees - it's just a consideration. And I mean, let's be realistic; nilbog & co. have a hard time just keeping up with all the bugs and petitions and update patches and events, etc., etc. - the server is perpetually understaffed, and that's probably not going to change.

There are plenty of threads where you can wax futuristic about potential P99 custom content: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252566

Fael
10-18-2016, 07:32 AM
the obvious thing to do is have a fresh p99 progression server. 6 months per expansion would be great.

Jontheripper
10-18-2016, 09:16 AM
the obvious thing to do is have a fresh p99 progression server. 6 months per expansion would be great.

Fuck that, a year would be better

86753o9
10-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Hey everybody! Another "Let's ruin the project because I've been playing it too much and now I'm bored" thread.

EQBallzz
10-18-2016, 09:31 AM
It's probably more productive to pin your hopes for the future on Pantheon than expecting big changes on P99. P99 is more like a game from the past sealed in amber so expecting it to change much is probably a pipe dream. That's probably both good and bad depending on your perspective.

Lojik
10-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Kunark duration: Live ~6 months, here ~4 years
Velious duration: Live ~1 year, here (on track for 8 years or so?)

Don't get too excited for new content!

Kelor
10-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Sk / pally will see a damage increase with this patch http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5782

xKoopa
10-18-2016, 09:46 AM
^wanna bet?

Jimjam
10-18-2016, 09:57 AM
You have to remember this server is essentially an open beta to try work out all the changes that took place between vanilla and luclin release.

Once all the work has been done we can safely assume the server will be shut down and the Dev's will create their own private classic timeline server for only themselves and their buddies to play on ;).

Kelor
10-18-2016, 10:00 AM
^wanna bet?

How so?

Lorian
10-18-2016, 10:04 AM
P99 = Velious
P2002/TakP = PoP

If you dont like Velious why play on P99 in the first place?

azeth
10-18-2016, 10:27 AM
In my opinion, there is the finest of fine lines that are fine that keep people playing here during the population slumps throughout the years.

What if the server slumps to say 600-700 max pop? No problem it will rebound and 600 active players is enough for players to give a single fuck about spending playtime to get pixels to show shit off.

What if the server slumps to 600-700, but over 2 servers at 450 pop and 250 pop? Well the moment the next big thing, or something like Pantheon comes out, I'd wager people stop logging in in a domino affect.

Erati
10-18-2016, 10:41 AM
There used to be less than 100 people on this server back in 2011.

I think server will be ok as long as its kept online.

khanable
10-18-2016, 10:43 AM
I remember when the server was floating around 200-300 nightly, shit was still fun and a good community

HippoNipple
10-18-2016, 10:44 AM
If Red99 isn't wiped soon the whole project will come down by law enforcement. I tried to warn the devs about the real life violence going on over there but they don't seem to care.

#RedLivesMatter

xKoopa
10-18-2016, 10:48 AM
How so?

They havent even fixed defense for knights yet, that shit is months overdue now

Twochain
10-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Speaking about after Velious is 100% rolled out...

I'd like to see a brand new server with normal progression.

For the future of the current Blue server, i'd really like to see parts of luclin content. I think it would be awesome to have AA's. It would also be really cool if we could have Luclin raids/dungeons as well, without all of the cats on the moon nonsense. So no Cats, no beastlords, no nexus, no bazaar.

I'd also like to see classes tweaked a little bit. I'd love to play a ranger. But unless i'm dropping 150k on a twink, i'm literally going to be gimping myself playing one. Same with SK/Pally. I leveled a SK twink up to 36.. was A LOT of fun. Even more fun then leveling my monk. But why the fuck would I level an SK?! I have a monk. My monk already does everything an SK can do, except better. Which is kind of lame, but that's the way she goes.

AA's would be awesome though. I know the dungeon/raid idea is NOT classic ETC.. but if we have a fresh server that will always be 100% classic, i'd love to be able to hit a couple Luclin raids.

Leiker
10-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Whatever happens, I hope they dont add AAs.

Fuck that grind.

thufir
10-18-2016, 11:36 AM

Fuck that grind.

+100000

game balance wasn't worth the hundreds (or thousands!) of hours you had to invest in your character as a result of this change

not to mention that this plus paludal caverns shut down the low level game

fortunately this was severely un-classic so it's very unlikely it will ever happen here

Tuurin
10-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Another potential benefit of adding some cherry-picked Luclin/Pop content is to give a little more relevancy to tradeskills than what it is now. Currently all they are is a money sink for bored high levels who have nothing better to do or want to complete shawl/ring/Garzicor quest. Adding more usable tradeskill items was kinda fun and made the game feel more complete.

Specifically, loved the Solstice earring quest (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2420) (trade-able crafted components) along with other tradeskills that came out in Luclin that made all those hours and plat that I sunk into smithing pay off a bit.

azeth
10-18-2016, 11:42 AM

Fuck that grind.

i'd come back for AAs.

Jontheripper
10-18-2016, 11:42 AM
+100000

game balance wasn't worth the hundreds (or thousands!) of hours you had to invest in your character as a result of this change

not to mention that this plus paludal caverns shut down the low level game

fortunately this was severely un-classic so it's very unlikely it will ever happen here

Whats wrong with paludal caverns?

azeth
10-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Whats wrong with paludal caverns?

Nothing, that's the problem. Why ever level anywhere else, aside from forcing yourself to experience other content?

Once Luclin came out, the path was bullshit to 15-20, then Paludal to 50.

Jontheripper
10-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Monthly Zem changes would be all it would take.

Jontheripper
10-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Nothing, that's the problem. Why ever level anywhere else, aside from forcing yourself to experience other content?

Once Luclin came out, the path was bullshit to 15-20, then Paludal to 50.

Huh i rembered lvling there to about thirty then heading to paw, i must not have explored it for the higher lvl mobs. I thought it was basically an alternative to unrest

fadetree
10-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Lots of people want some form of post-velious. I do myself. Lots of people will be dissapoint.

xKoopa
10-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Lvl 30/50 in paludal wtf

That zone topped out around low 20s i thought? I remember always doin fiends from like 13-18 then bandits to 22-23 then had to move on to other zones

thufir
10-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Lvl 30/50 in paludal wtf

That zone topped out around low 20s i thought? I remember always doin fiends from like 13-18 then bandits to 22-23 then had to move on to other zones

You could do PC until pretty late; mobs were db to 35 at least. My paladin leveled to 40 there on Live in Luclin era in like a week of half-assed playing.

xKoopa
10-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Wtf did they revamp it? Those bandits were lvl 20ish mobs and that was the highest part of zone

thufir
10-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Wtf did they revamp it? Those bandits were lvl 20ish mobs and that was the highest part of zone
They were low to mid 20s, weren't they? Maybe they were xp green. I definitely remember staying there and killing them as they greened out because even at that point they were considerably better and easier xp than you could get anywhere else. I didn't leave until I absolutely had to, and by then I was 40.

This was late Luclin / early PoP so I doubt it was revamped in that time, although maybe it was.

Muggens
10-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Crap thread, each week anew.

Nitsude
10-18-2016, 01:14 PM
People posting like p99 has an a la carte menu.

Trollhide
10-18-2016, 01:40 PM
I play here because it is classic. I don't want custom content or further expansions, because EQlive deviating from classic (OoW, GoD, LDoN, LoY all killed it for me, Luclin/PoP were excusable) is what made me completely hate the game in the first place.

Yes, the room for expansion and growth on a Velious-only server is finite but that's not a problem in and of itself. On the infrequent occasions I get bored of EQ, I do something else with my life for awhile. I inevitably come back, and it's good to know that it's the same game as when I left it. Been going at it on and off for 17 years and this is still by far the best game of my lifetime. I don't understand the need for an MMO to continue to occupy 100% of your interest now and forever lest it be declared "dead".

Maelstrom
10-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Quote from Rogean from back in 2011:

Some of us are looking forward to adding some custom content after velious, yet keeping in line with the feel of classic everquest.

I don't think AA's will ever be introduced.. I've ripped out so much of it from the code already lol.

Also...Paludal to 50? :confused: Sounds hellish.

Whirled
10-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Lvl 61

Burk
10-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Forced classic UI and server relaunch.

You know you want it.

Jontheripper
10-18-2016, 05:04 PM
They were low to mid 20s, weren't they? Maybe they were xp green. I definitely remember staying there and killing them as they greened out because even at that point they were considerably better and easier xp than you could get anywhere else. I didn't leave until I absolutely had to, and by then I was 40.

This was late Luclin / early PoP so I doubt it was revamped in that time, although maybe it was.

I think you're misrembering. You probably left paludal and took a right and killed the raging zelniaks and stuff.

They had a great aggro range, i rememver the first one i saw about 5 sand dunes away running, thinking "oh hes after someone!" Needless to say he was after me

thufir
10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
I think you're misrembering. You probably left paludal and took a right and killed the raging zelniaks and stuff.

They had a great aggro range, i rememver the first one i saw about 5 sand dunes away running, thinking "oh hes after someone!" Needless to say he was after me

possibly? but even on p99 mobs give XP to 10 levels below in the 30-40 range. alla says mobs in PC range up to 22. so presuming nothing has changed from those two data points you could do PC comfortably to 30.

nobody disagrees that PC was the only zone to go to if you could get XP there, so that's still killing every dungeon in the 1-30 range, which tracks with everyone's experience.

azeth
10-18-2016, 05:25 PM
On the Paludal caverns debate:

I meant level 40, not 50. My mistake.

Fael
10-18-2016, 07:07 PM
add a new blue server with 6 months to a year progression per expansion, and you would probably have 600 people playing on the old blue server and 1,300 on the new.

Makes more sense than a discord server to me. Although I would also play on a discord server.

Jontheripper
10-18-2016, 07:10 PM
On the Paludal caverns debate:

I meant level 40, not 50. My mistake.

Im pretty sure you meant lvl 28-30. Afterwards everyone either went to paw, mm or various outside zones.

Chaboo_Cleric
10-18-2016, 07:14 PM
I hope P99 shuts down for an entire year and reopens. I think it will help public communications between staff and player.

Sillyturtle
10-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Again.....

I can't give you an ETA, but I can add some information.

Since Kunark development, we have used a rule-based system when developing content and code. What this means is the work needed to add/remove timeline features only has to be done once, and a rule applied for the era.

For example, when a server is released (original eq launch date: march 1999), rubicite and manastones should drop until ~October 1999. When a new server is launched, all that is necessary is to set the correct era rules. The era switches allow us to apply rules to spawns, loottables, items, spells, doors, tradeskills, etc so they may be enabled/disabled without even a patch.

It has been, and still is the plan to release a timeline correct server a certain amount of time after Velious is complete. Velious still lacks 2 zones; Stonebrunt and Chardok revamp. There are patches between and after those times which need to be developed.

Kowalski
10-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Add SureFall Glade

Trollhide
10-18-2016, 07:57 PM
add a new blue server with 6 months to a year progression per expansion, and you would probably have 600 people playing on the old blue server and 1,300 on the new.

Makes more sense than a discord server to me. Although I would also play on a discord server.
This would make me so hard. I didn't hear about P99 until 2014, well into Kunark, and I'd relish the chance to be on a vanilla EQ server again. I am slightly worried about what it would do to the blue population however.

StinkyGreenBud
10-18-2016, 08:30 PM
This would make me so hard. I didn't hear about P99 until 2014, well into Kunark, and I'd relish the chance to be on a vanilla EQ server again. I am slightly worried about what it would do to the blue population however.

Well of course it would split the pop. The newer people who have joined the last couple of years would more than likely run to it, while the long time vets wouldn't budge. I don't know though, I would love to have a fresh start myself.

Tankdan
10-18-2016, 08:46 PM
I just want a Classic-->PoP experience with a populated server. Probably wont ever happen again unless Phinny.

Mizaro Moonfire
10-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Hey everybody! Another "Let's ruin the project because I've been playing it too much and now I'm bored" thread.

Hey everyone, another troll. This is not about being bored. I love the game. But it's a fact that, after full velious is finished, the game will stagnate without a promise of future content or some kind of change. Having a discussion on what people hope for is not hurting anything. It may even serve to give the devs ideas to that end.

Sillyturtle
10-18-2016, 10:49 PM
I just want a Classic-->PoP experience with a populated server. Probably wont ever happen again unless Phinny.

I'd be playing on Phini for this reason except the content unlocks are too fast. 4 months would be perfect for me.

heartbrand
10-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Rogean runs this project.

Kotopes
10-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Luclin without Nexus/Bazaar and PoP without PoK books would suit me well. For me it's GoD and OoW that I absolutely abhor which nailed the coffin for live EQ.

Classic was original EQ with it's first 50 levels anyway.

Fael
10-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Well of course it would split the pop. The newer people who have joined the last couple of years would more than likely run to it, while the long time vets wouldn't budge. I don't know though, I would love to have a fresh start myself.

There are many players with millions of plat and 10+ lvl 60s that would delete them all to start over again fresh.

Foxplay
10-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Make a server where each account can only have 1 character, makes you think hard on what you really really want to play and makes people stand out a bit more, just a thought. Also cuts down on overcrowding of contended spawns as well as makes raiding more difficult / competitive because a guild that the core membership of 40+ ppl that all have 2 or more 60's cant log in between there different raid ready level 60s and contest multiple raid spawns at the same time.

Ravager
10-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Luclin without Nexus/Bazaar and PoP without PoK books would suit me well. For me it's GoD and OoW that I absolutely abhor which nailed the coffin for live EQ.

Classic was original EQ with it's first 50 levels anyway.
Raising the level cap and adding 20+ zones each expansion is what killed the game. New content should have come in the form of a new dungeon or two each expansion and a ton of quests for each class, quests that required old gear as components, to keep the old content from becoming obsolete.

Swish
10-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Make a server where each account can only have 1 character, makes you think hard on what you really really want to play and makes people stand out a bit more, just a thought. Also cuts down on overcrowding of contended spawns as well as makes raiding more difficult / competitive because a guild that the core membership of 40+ ppl that all have 2 or more 60's cant log in between there different raid ready level 60s and contest multiple raid spawns at the same time.

I like it, if there was a water tight way to make that happen I think it would be great to play on.

Foxplay
10-19-2016, 09:43 AM
I like it, if there was a water tight way to make that happen I think it would be great to play on.

Unfortunately with way P99 login and accounts are set up it really couldn't happen, people just have several logins. Heck i did it myself when I played p99 my enchanter and all his item mules was on one account, and my monk and druid and other mules where on another.

And I know several players that had more level 60's than me and had a separate account login for each level 60. So unless they changed how accounts can be set up or heavily policed getting an account for that server don't think it could be done.

thufir
10-19-2016, 10:47 AM
Hey everyone, another troll. This is not about being bored. I love the game. But it's a fact that, after full velious is finished, the game will stagnate without a promise of future content or some kind of change. Having a discussion on what people hope for is not hurting anything. It may even serve to give the devs ideas to that end.

The game is literally stagnant already. It was designed to be stagnant. That is the whole purpose of p99.

People who are trying to get this to "evolve" and hope "for future content" have really, really missed the point of this server.

The fact is that we are playing a game that is 16 years old. It is the very definition of a game that is not going to have new content. It is, in fact, why most of us came here to play it in the first place.

That having been said, devs are on record as wanting to do something custom, so you'll get new things eventually. Just not the new things from other xpacs.

maskedmelon
10-19-2016, 10:56 AM
The game is literally stagnant already. It was designed to be stagnant. That is the whole purpose of p99.

People who are trying to get this to "evolve" and hope "for future content" have really, really missed the point of this server.

The fact is that we are playing a game that is 16 years old. It is the very definition of a game that is not going to have new content. It is, in fact, why most of us came here to play it in the first place.

Yep! There always things to do though in EQ though ^^ No need for more.

Jontheripper
10-19-2016, 11:07 AM
I dunno, i think it would be cool for something like paludal to be accesible via a cave in stonebrunt or somewhere.

Jaggedpine forest would be nifty as well.

thufir
10-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Yep! There always things to do though in EQ though ^^ No need for more.
100% agreed with this. If you're looking for something to do there's surely something new right under your nose. Everything has theoretically been discovered by people, but there's plenty of shit to do that either isn't on the wiki or is detailed poorly, and is probably new to you.

And if you short-circuited the leveling process by taking the primrose path or using pbaoe groups, go back and do it again, and do it right this time. Norrath is huge and there's a ton of dungeons to explore at every level band. I've been doing it for years; it's part of why I came to this server in the first place, as I deeply regretted my rush to 60 on live only to find myself doing the same dull raids over and over.