PDA

View Full Version : Another class question: Bards and Charisma

Lhancelot
09-27-2016, 01:47 PM
I have a bad habit of creating tons of alts so I often ask questions about many classes. Well, I decided to mess on a bard now.

My question is, exactly how much impact does charisma have on bard songs?

I have sent random tells to some 60 bards, and one in particular who always has been helpful in the game and seems to be very knowledgeable told me that basically he found absolutely no difference between high charisma and low charisma regarding his lulls, mezzes, etc.

He also stressed that raw hps, sta, resists were best for survivability purposes. Again, he said cha was one of his least worried about stats.

I believe the guy, I just want to hear what other 60 bards have experienced when it comes to lulls and mezzes and their charisma.

Thanks in advance!

Loke
09-27-2016, 02:02 PM
I never stressed cha. You'll get decent cha eventually since a lot of bard items have cha, but I agree that raw HP, sta, and to a lesser extent (since 255 cap) resists are more important. I think my bard had like 140ish cha while I was leveling him and I never had a problem with lull resists.

indiscriminate_hater
09-27-2016, 02:05 PM
It does make a difference, but the use cases usually aren't enough to drive your gear selection. It's worth it to keep a few big charisma pieces when you want to lull your way through sebilis or something.

Smurflogik
09-27-2016, 02:24 PM
One of the only applications where I've noticed CHA having a significant effect was lulling in places like Seb. As I understand, when you hit a mob with your lull, whether or not the lull lands is determined in much the same way as offensive spells (level, resists, etc.). However, if the lull is determined to be resisted, it can be a standard resist (mob just isn't lulled), or a crit resist (aggro, most likely with adds). The difference between a standard and crit resist, so I've been told, is determined by your CHA.

If that's wrong, I'd love for somebody to set the record straight.

Lhancelot
09-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Ok thanks. So leveling up I imagine most of the time I will be more concerned with my AE mezz landing. Will a charisma of 100ish be good enough or will I be seeing my mez bounce off mobs regularly from 20-50?

Aalderon Crystafire
09-27-2016, 02:39 PM
In my own personal experience - in Sebilis specifically - Charisma made little difference in successfull lulls, resists or critical resists while levels made ALL the difference. I noticed a huge difference in my ability to successfully lull there at 59 over level 55 but little difference when I was level 55 and would stack Charisma with gear/buffs.

Videri
09-27-2016, 02:45 PM
The AE mez song is intended to actually stop working as you level up. It's intended to be replaced by the level 27 Crission's Pixie Strike.

They changed it due to the mass mezzing of Karnor's during Venril Sathir slaying. They claim to make it classic, but either way the implementation is that there is a negative resist check modifier against the casters level, which means the higher level the bard is, the more likely it is for that song to fail (on top of higher level mobs resisting more often than lower level mobs). You're L34...use Pixie Strike.

See this thread (www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100276&highlight=Kelin%27s+Lucid+Lullaby) for more.

And yeah, 100 cha is going to be fine. I think people are right about cha not being that important except for lulling, which is pretty rarely needed. I used to keep a couple pieces of cha gear on me...then I banked them for months...then I got rid of them. :P

Lhancelot
09-27-2016, 05:52 PM
The AE mez song is intended to actually stop working as you level up. It's intended to be replaced by the level 27 Crission's Pixie Strike.

See this thread (www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100276&highlight=Kelin%27s+Lucid+Lullaby) for more.

And yeah, 100 cha is going to be fine. I think people are right about cha not being that important except for lulling, which is pretty rarely needed. I used to keep a couple pieces of cha gear on me...then I banked them for months...then I got rid of them. :P

How long is the AE mezz good for then? Just curious, as I seen lvl 35-39 bards using it in MM still.

Videri
09-27-2016, 06:24 PM
How long is the AE mezz good for then? Just curious, as I seen lvl 35-39 bards using it in MM still.

Hm!! I wouldn't know. I stopped using it in groups because I was on Red. Hehehehehe

maskedmelon
09-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Hm!! I wouldn't know. I stopped using it in groups because I was on Red. Hehehehehe

Lol, was probably fun for your groupmates. I'd've made a macro whenever I sang it to say something like "STOP FIGHTING!!! :c"

Borak
09-27-2016, 07:32 PM

You need to stop using it as soon as you get the single target mez at lvl28. There's a reason I call it the "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT" song. It's because, the song has a ONE tick duration. Meaning, if you don't keep singing it, all the mobs will wake up at the very next server tick. Once you start the song, you can't stop singing it until all the mobs are dead, or you are, and since you'll have all the aggro, the odds are considerable that it will be you. Since it actually gets resisted more as you level past 28, and the mobs hit harder ... yeah, just use the single target mez.

If you do decide to keep using this song past lvl28, have a rooter in your party, you'll need it.

elwing
09-28-2016, 02:22 AM
yep, the impact on cha is to reduce the agro on resisted lulls. on live with 255cha when pulling ldon, I was able to pull all the dungeon single, with less than 3 resist and generally no agro on those...

edit: on live I almost never used the ae mez, I didn't do much CC at low level and later, single target mez are way better... that require more targeting and twisting off course but still... also, the single target mez move forward or backward the mob a bit, depending on the mez, letting you do fine positioning of the mezzed mob. ( from what I remember, the direction was not based on the direction of the mob, but on where you look at...)

Lhancelot
09-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Can bards use insta clickies to reduce the spell refresh timer also?

elwing
09-28-2016, 08:11 AM
I don't see a use in that, as soon as your song take place, you can stop and start next song...

Javacup
09-28-2016, 07:39 PM
I have actually made a set of -cha items purposely to get crit lull resists (pulling). I never noticed a real difference between 60 cha and 200 cha.