PDA

View Full Version : Going from AMD / Raedon to AMD / Nvidia - Swapping A Graphics Card

AzzarTheGod
09-09-2016, 03:03 AM
So I was recently made aware in order to attempt a swap like this, that you need to delete your drivers pre-swap otherwise you can frag your card.

I tried it before I informed myself of this vital info (I figured you could just install/uninstall drivers while having the new card in). Later, when I tried to boot a few times, after I pulled the Nvidia out-- it was hot to the touch. Nearly fried it I guess from the driver situation alone.

Anyway, does anyone foresee any problems from swapping to Nvidia card on an AMD chipset and likely, an AMD motherboard?

I just don't want to gut my Raedon drivers, put the Nvidia in and not have it boot due to BIOS or another problem.

R Flair
09-09-2016, 05:46 AM
I've never had an AMD board, but I've gone from AMD cards to Nvidia i believe twice without a problem. I doubt I took any real precautions, but I might have manually fully wiped old drivers prior to installation.

Also, nvidia just better doubt id ever use amd again.

phacemeltar
09-09-2016, 10:09 AM
take out the first card, swap to onboard video, uninstall drivers, install new card, install new drivers. try this, should work

Thulack
09-09-2016, 11:44 AM
take out the first card, swap to onboard video, uninstall drivers, install new card, install new drivers. try this, should work

Or a option would be to go into safe mode and use http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html remove old drivers then boot up into regular mode and install the new video card drivers.

nilbog
09-09-2016, 02:24 PM
^ Always use DDU for this situation.

Baler
09-09-2016, 02:58 PM
^ third +1 for display driver uninstaller. It saved my butt once when the default uninstaller failed to properly clean up my old gpu drivers after an update.

If you really want to be sure you can run it in windows safe mode with admin rights.
(woops Thulack already suggested that)

AzzarTheGod
09-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Got it will make a second attempt later tonight.

I imagine myself not having a computer after using DDU (some of the threads on this topic don't end well, for whatever reason).

I'm on Windows 7 so we'll see how it goes.

When the Nividia failed to boot, it wouldn't go to command screen or setup screen. It just simply wouldn't boot at all. This is my biggest fear after deleting the drivers, but I assume the BIOS or w/e will recognize no device after the DDU is used and allow me to boot as if I do not have a device at all.

I am still dumbfounded why the system isn't intelligent enough to let you boot to setup or a command window after swapping a GPU with the old drivers installed. I would think you should be able to at least get to setup/command. Is this a Windows 7 thing? I'm baffled that not being able to boot at all just because you put a GPU in with the wrong drivers is a real thing.

AzzarTheGod
09-10-2016, 05:33 AM
I have no onboard graphics afaik. Unless this is innately a part of the motherboard without my knowledge, there is no onboard device.

AzzarTheGod
09-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Got cold feet. scared of possible outcome after DDU.

maskedmelon
09-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Got cold feet. scared of possible outcome after DDU.

You can do it! Just cleanup with DDU. Take it out. Put in the new one. Clean install and voila! Happy PC ^^

If you break it, just get a new one ^^

AzzarTheGod
09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
You can do it! Just cleanup with DDU. Take it out. Put in the new one. Clean install and voila! Happy PC ^^

If you break it, just get a new one ^^

had nightmare of pop-up "lol u really think its that easy f*****? u saw what happened to lil jimmy on the forums he doesn't have a useable PC now"

the whole possibility of not being able to boot even a setup or F10 window has me shook. :(

Mostly because I can't find any evidence of onboard GPU (which is probably accurate). Do I still have onboard display? Onboard GPU seems to be more an Intel thing. AMD doesn't appear to have onboard GPU.

maskedmelon
09-12-2016, 04:54 PM
had nightmare of pop-up "lol u really think its that easy f*****? u saw what happened to lil jimmy on the forums he doesn't have a useable PC now"

the whole possibility of not being able to boot even a setup or F10 window has me shook. :(

Mostly because I can't find any evidence of onboard GPU (which is probably accurate). Do I still have onboard display? Onboard GPU seems to be more an Intel thing. AMD doesn't appear to have onboard GPU.

I dunno. I thought most boards did. I mean, if it does, there should like be a vertical port (DVI, VGA, etc.) on the back of your machine (coming out of the mobo) that you can plug your display into, right? If that not there, then no, don't think you've integrated graphics. ^^

AzzarTheGod
09-12-2016, 04:59 PM
I dunno. I thought most boards did. I mean, if it does, there should like be a vertical port (DVI, VGA, etc.) on the back of your machine (coming out of the mobo) that you can plug your display into, right? If that not there, then no, don't think you've integrated graphics. ^^

Negative on all that.

I realize I have no onboard GPU.

So I should probably find a tech whos done this before? Without onboard you have to agree with my assessment that this is incredibly high risk? Does Geek Squad do stuff like this? Even if I didn't buy it from them?

maskedmelon
09-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Negative on all that.

I realize I have no onboard GPU.

So I should probably find a tech whos done this before? Without onboard you have to agree with my assessment that this is incredibly high risk? Does Geek Squad do stuff like this? Even if I didn't buy it from them?

Well, no not really, I've done it several times with no issues and don't really understand the issue you are worried about. I just uninstall it in Windows, reboot safe mode, driver sweep (DDU) maybe do 2 times if I am feeling anxious and then turn off, do the hardware swap, boot up and grimace at the shit resolution, try intercept Windows driver installation since it thinks it knows wtf to do sometimes, but always does not and then install the drivers for the new card. ^^

AzzarTheGod
09-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Well, no not really, I've done it several times with no issues and don't really understand the issue you are worried about. I just uninstall it in Windows, reboot safe mode, driver sweep (DDU) maybe do 2 times if I am feeling anxious and then turn off, do the hardware swap, boot up and grimace at the shit resolution, try intercept Windows driver installation since it thinks it knows wtf to do sometimes, but always does not and then install the drivers for the new card. ^^

I could provide several links of what I am worried about. (Granted, all incomplete details with incomplete answers) But I X'd them all out.

Alright final question. What versions of Windows have you done this kind of swap on?

Its just sucky you can't let the BIOS know about the change and plant the drivers in a standby situation during safe mode to avoid any possible boot problem.

bdastomper58
09-12-2016, 05:13 PM
why are you being such a weiner about this just do it its very easy

AzzarTheGod
09-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Basically I spent a few hours here http://forums.guru3d.com/ and cold feet set in.

All kinds of weird scenarios and situations involving a swap are posted there with headlines like "Help PC ruined lifes over". Reading guru3d is similar to googling your medical symptoms, I realize. But my courage was gone after that.

nilbog
09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Boards without onboard graphics use slot cards for video when you boot.

uninstall it in Windows, reboot safe mode, driver sweep (DDU).... do the hardware swap, boot up and grimace at the shit resolution... install the drivers for the new card. ^^

maskedmelon
09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
I could provide several links of what I am worried about. (Granted, all incomplete details with incomplete answers) But I X'd them all out.

Alright final question. What versions of Windows have you done this kind of swap on?

Its just sucky you can't let the BIOS know about the change and plant the drivers in a standby situation during safe mode to avoid any possible boot problem.

Huh,:/ don't know about BIOS planting drivers :/ I've done it with XP and 7. Of course if you only have one puter and a problem does arise, it is more difficult to troubleshoot. Normally whenever one of mine kaputs, I just use another one to research and solve the problem. Maybe get other advice from a tech person here if you super worried.^^ Your fears seem misplaced to me though :/

Grimjaw
09-12-2016, 05:20 PM
few things can cause a computer to not make it thru POST. but usually its something really simple like not putting the card in the slot right (most common one). usually happens with RAM but could just as easily happen with a graphics card. its called "reseating" the card. just unplug it and plug it back in properly this time.

also I don't see how the windows device driver could cause this issue you are describing.

bdastomper58
roughly zero percent chance youll harm the hard drive

your girlie pics(and other less important files) will survive!

maskedmelon
Boards without onboard graphics use slot cards for video when you boot.

Oh well there you go, I was right ^^ my first recognition from a purple name was validation of advice I gave. This makes me happy ^^

I am confident now. Do this Azzar!

nilbog
09-12-2016, 05:23 PM
few things can cause a computer to not make it thru POST. but usually its something really simple like not putting the card in the slot right is a big one. usually happens with RAM but could just as easily happen with a graphics card. its called "reseating" the card. just unplug it and plug it back in properly this time.

also I don't see how the windows device driver could cause this issue you are describing.

And this is certainly good advice. When seating the card, make sure you apply enough force, in the correct slot.

Daywolf
09-12-2016, 05:27 PM
AMD mobo's usually have an onboard video chip set. Mine does. The way you can tell is go into bios settings and examine the video settings which I think are in advanced settings. It will give you an option to enable/disable the onboard video. If onboard is off, I wouldn't even bother with it, just do the swap.

But anywawy, you just simply uninstall the drivers, power down, swap the card and power up. When you power up you can check bios settings and see if it's being recognized, optional. As windows starts, it'll recognize new hardware and give you a prompt. You have the disk with drivers, install it. When it starts, it'll be using generic drivers which is normal, as you removed the old drivers, and so you install the new drivers and control suite.

Standard procedure, we even did this in my A+ prep class in college. Even on current hardware, I put an Radeon in my ASUS system originally and then later swapped it out for a Geforce.

maskedmelon
09-12-2016, 05:28 PM
And this is certainly good advice. When seating the card, make sure you apply enough force, in the correct slot.

Oooo, also super good advice. Took me a long time and numerous errors before I was comfortable properly seating things. Was always worried I would break it :/ Only thing that don't need a good amount of force to get it in or out is the processor. That should just slip right in. Also, I hate molex. Just putting that out there.

nilbog
09-12-2016, 05:33 PM
If you give the specs of the setup, will also help.

What motherboard?
What card are you installing?

I normally download video driver install file beforehand to the desktop. That way its up to date and I don't have to use their cd install garbage.

AzzarTheGod
09-12-2016, 05:46 PM
If you give the specs of the setup, will also help.

What motherboard?
What card are you installing?

I normally download video driver install file beforehand to the desktop. That way its up to date and I don't have to use their cd install garbage.

Embarrassed to say, but its a GT 740 and I am swapping out a Raedon 7400 that was sold in the rig. Despite similar stats on paper, its actually a +25 FPS gain on most games and at only 100 bucks it made sense to get some more life out of this old rig.

Motherboard information as follows,

Manufacturer: Gigabyte
Model: 2AC8
no serial
Version 1.2

^ looks even more embarrassing than the video card, am I right?

Daywolf
09-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Anyway, does anyone foresee any problems from swapping to Nvidia card on an AMD chipset and likely, an AMD motherboard?
Oh as for this
Nope, no issues. Actually you will have better results. Nvidia makes all the best graphics tools for programming, it's what everyone uses. ATI/AMD makes shiat, only like render monkey or whatever it is/was called and was a pile of junk last I used it years ago. Nvidia tools (https://developer.nvidia.com/) are a programmers best friend. So when you use your Geforce or whatever, it was all originally written for it, for games etc. and ATI is more of a port in a sense.

nilbog
09-13-2016, 01:20 PM
It appears your board (2AC8) is terrible about upgrades.

Lots of good reading here:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=2ac8+video+upgrade

I think what needs to happen is a bios update for your board to make other cards compatible.

This thread has a resolution:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Help-HPE-H8-1230-Upgrading-the-Graphics-Card/td-p/3108285

The link posted to the documentation is broken on their page, here is a fixed link:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03092621

AzzarTheGod
09-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Thank you nilbog. Saved me some headache (and probably a non-working PC). Ill dig into those links.

AzzarTheGod
09-13-2016, 06:24 PM
It appears your board (2AC8) is terrible about upgrades.

Lots of good reading here:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=2ac8+video+upgrade

I think what needs to happen is a bios update for your board to make other cards compatible.

This thread has a resolution:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Help-HPE-H8-1230-Upgrading-the-Graphics-Card/td-p/3108285

The link posted to the documentation is broken on their page, here is a fixed link:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03092621

The only BIOS update listed by HP (when I punched in the model number of the rig on their BIOS/Driver update search engine):

M3970AM-HP Motherboard BIOS Update

7.16 Rev. A 3.1 MB Nov 23, 2012

Doesn't look very promising. I am not even sure that qualifies as a "BIOS update", when we talk about updating the BIOS. I mean 2012 ?? I checked the changelog in that BIOS update and it looks very underwhelming...I'm thinking this is a no-go but I can't prove it. I am thinking if I do this, I have to be prepared to pull a new rig out and approach this swap eyes-wide-open.

Still researching other people who have gone ahead and attempted it on this mobo/OS looking for a sign.