PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractic is fake science

Chaboo_Cleric
09-07-2016, 03:13 AM
Chiropractic was invented by D. D. Palmer, Sep 18, 1895 when he adjusted the spine of a deaf man and allegedly restored his hearing (a claim that is highly implausible based on what we know of anatomy). Based on this one case, Palmer decided that all disease was due to subluxation: 95% to subluxations of the spine and 5% to subluxations of other bones.

The rationale for chiropractic hinges on three postulates:

Bones are out of place
Bony displacements cause nerve interference
Manipulating the spine replaces the bones, removing the nerve interference and allowing Innate (a vitalistic life force) to restore health.
There is no credible evidence to support any of these claims.

georgie
09-07-2016, 03:15 AM
Yawn

entruil
09-07-2016, 03:17 AM
didnt read cept i seen chriopractic... (heh sp but then...)...

i was raised that a massuese(sp) will for real shit like that and a chiro will bring your ass bakc weak after week...

R Flair
09-07-2016, 09:25 AM
welcome to what everyone else already knows

Chaboo_Cleric
09-07-2016, 09:47 AM
welcome to what everyone else already knows

My favorite is when people refer to them as Doctors. Or when they refer themselves as one. It's like the biggest insult to a MD.

sOurDieSel
09-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Shit works. Combining stretching with adjustments works great for compression fractures. Can't wait to get back cracked again this week. But we all know choking down vicodin and oxy heals everything.

Chaboo_Cleric
09-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Shit works. Combining stretching with adjustments works great for compression fractures. Can't wait to get back cracked again this week. But we all know choking down vicodin and oxy heals everything.

A massage or a physical therapist is much more effective. Key word Quackery

sOurDieSel
09-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Lol physical therapy. Its like a watered down chiropractor without the back crack. Literally its the same thing; stretching, strengthening, etc. And yes massages are part of many treatments recommended.

Chaboo_Cleric
09-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Lol physical therapy. Its like a watered down chiropractor without the back crack. Literally its the same thing; stretching, strengthening, etc. And yes massages are part of many treatments recommended.

Watered down, but more qualified. They actually attended more school. Lolz

Rhambuk
09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Physical therapy is a joke. For my jaw back and hand. Apply heat, ultra sound, some electric shock and light rubbing.

Glad I didn't pay for that nonsense

Chaboo_Cleric
09-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Physical therapy is a joke. For my jaw back and hand. Apply heat, ultra sound, some electric shock and light rubbing.

Glad I didn't pay for that nonsense

If Physical therapy is to joke , then Chiropractor is to retard?

Chaboo_Cleric
09-07-2016, 10:12 AM
BS is not required for Chiropractic school, GPA 2.5 (C+)average. PT requires BS to apply to PT school (minimal 3.0 GPA). Physical Therapist do Manipulation (WA,Arkansas have some limitations). Most research that has been on manipulation and producing practice guidelines on when manipulation is needed has been done by DPT in the research side of the training (Research that is not required by Chiropractic school).

maskedmelon
09-08-2016, 11:12 AM
I found a MD by accident who does "adjustments" and acupuncture. Never actually been to a chiropractor, but that adjustment was a huge boon! I'd had issues with my stomach (shortness of breath, feeling full) for a few years after feeling a pop while doing crunches. I had ultrasounds, xray and no answers. Went to a few different stomach doctors and no solutions.

I kept going to doctors though because I knew something was off. I could feel it! So I ended up going to this normal MD, he couldn't have been more than a couple years out of medical school and in ine visit he diagnosed and corrected my problem. He was able to tell I had a couple ribs out of place just by looking at my back as I bent over. Then he just popped me a few different directions on the table and voila! Fixed.

I did have to go back once for a second adjustment because things had been outta place so long they just wanted to salty that way I guess, but he gave me some stretches to add to my routine and things have been A+ since ^^

Dunno if that is chiropracty or not, but fit what I thought it was, though he was an MD. Good experience. Not sure I'd trust a non-MD though.

Chaboo_Cleric
09-08-2016, 11:24 AM
I found a MD by accident who does "adjustments" and acupuncture. Never actually been to a chiropractor, but that adjustment was a huge boon! I'd had issues with my stomach (shortness of breath, feeling full) for a few years after feeling a pop while doing crunches. I had ultrasounds, xray and no answers. Went to a few different stomach doctors and no solutions.

I kept going to doctors though because I knew something was off. I could feel it! So I ended up going to this normal MD, he couldn't have been more than a couple years out of medical school and in ine visit he diagnosed and corrected my problem. He was able to tell I had a couple ribs out of place just by looking at my back as I bent over. Then he just popped me a few different directions on the table and voila! Fixed.

I did have to go back once for a second adjustment because things had been outta place so long they just wanted to salty that way I guess, but he gave me some stretches to add to my routine and things have been A+ since ^^

Dunno if that is chiropracty or not, but fit what I thought it was, though he was an MD. Good experience. Not sure I'd trust a non-MD though.
I'm happy to hear that. Yeah the proof is in the poodin. Some people claim wondrous effects, others not so much. Either way be wary of chiropractors ,most are charlatans.

Nibblewitz
09-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Anyone know a good MD to drain my humors?

Sidelle
09-08-2016, 07:00 PM
There are people that actually take their infants to get adjustments. I just think that's weird. :confused:

Chaboo_Cleric
09-08-2016, 07:28 PM
There are people that actually take their infants to get adjustments. I just think that's weird. :confused:

Yes and there's a lot of deaths associated with it.

Chaboo_Cleric
09-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Chiropractic does have an evidence-based fork nowadays. It's a discipline that was founded in quackery, but unlike say homeopathy which has no plausible mechanism of action for treating anything other than dehydration, certain chiropractic treatments can provide relief for the conditions treated (though not by rebalancing humours, obviously). They are pretty much glorified physical therapists at best tho.

Chiropractors can be anywhere from full quack to legit. There's no point smearing the entire discipline the way you would do with naturopaths or homeopaths, even if its history is grody.

Good post I can agree with that.

skarlorn
09-08-2016, 08:45 PM
have u ever gone 2 a chiropractor and gotten jacked off?

masseuse wins again.

Chaboo_Cleric
09-08-2016, 09:16 PM
have u ever gone 2 a chiropractor and gotten jacked off?

masseuse wins again.

I believe the correct term is "happy ending".

Ahldagor
09-08-2016, 09:48 PM

The fuck? Their bones are still developing. That's fucking criminal.

maskedmelon
09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
The fuck? Their bones are still developing. That's fucking criminal.

Yeah, not sure which is more fucked up though: a parent seeking an adjustment for their infant, or a chiropractor willing to perform one. Two words:

Parent

Licensing ^^

sOurDieSel
09-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Just cracked my back, feelz so good.

Angushjalmur
09-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Chiropractic was invented by D. D. Palmer, Sep 18, 1895 when he adjusted the spine of a deaf man and allegedly restored his hearing (a claim that is highly implausible based on what we know of anatomy). Based on this one case, Palmer decided that all disease was due to subluxation: 95% to subluxations of the spine and 5% to subluxations of other bones.

The rationale for chiropractic hinges on three postulates:

Bones are out of place
Bony displacements cause nerve interference
Manipulating the spine replaces the bones, removing the nerve interference and allowing Innate (a vitalistic life force) to restore health.
There is no credible evidence to support any of these claims.

Anyone who has done any level of physical labor beyond getting in and out of a computer chair can tell you that bones do indeed get out of place, 'pinch' nerves, and cause uneven tension in muscles which causes discomfort.

I assure you that chiropractic adjustments work. Maybe not cure the deaf (lol), but if your axial spine is out of whack, a chiropractor will help.

Angushjalmur
09-09-2016, 12:33 PM
i should add that you should try massage first, as that will usually remedy the problem