PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - Best or Best OS of all time?

AzzarTheGod
09-03-2016, 04:11 AM
Weigh in here.

Daywolf
09-03-2016, 06:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/yWxeXIS.png

R Flair
09-03-2016, 10:11 AM
I haven't heard a good enough reason to move to 10 yet. Both 8 and 10 seem to be just a beefed up version of 7. I tried 8 and found it to be horrible. Would like to hear some good reasons to move to 10.

As soon as a game I really enjoy is build with DX12 I'll probably make the move, but I'm hoping that by then Vulkan will be a viable alternative.

Daywolf
09-03-2016, 10:33 AM
I waited a year before saying fair thee well to win7 and installing winx. Really, hasn't been a good Windows release since.......... oh I guess since xp. er maybe 98se.... hmmmmm. The best they had for stability and control, with xp more stable and 98se more control.

I don't hate WinX, but just really poor control.You can have that OS in any color you like as long as it's in blue.

AzzarTheGod
09-03-2016, 04:44 PM
my win8 installation, fairly early in its life cycle, (my only non-pirate copy of Windows in many years incidentally) ate shit multiple times, requiring a reformat to even boot for no apparent reason. Not a problem I have ever had with any other OS. Couldn't recover it or get it to boot even into safe mode, etc.

Swore off anything newer than 7 after that. I don't have another 10 hours to spend fucking around with stupid dogshit product that does nothing but arbitrarily unlock a few terrible AAA games and implement the latest ways for the NSA and ad agencies to analyze my psyche.

This right here happened to me on 7. What I did was rollback my system to a month earlier and then shut updates down permanently.Around April 2016.

Problem solved, no more system failure/instability.

I'm going to use 7 on my new rig too. 8.1 is just an ugly wannabe OSX and 10 is a spy system. Did you know they had to make a version of 10 called Windows Enterprise for corporations and businesses because they demanded less spying and spy features?

Pretty scary.

AenorVZ
09-04-2016, 12:56 AM
10 is a joke. Stay on 7.

AzzarTheGod
09-04-2016, 03:03 AM
10 is a joke. Stay on 7.

How long can we stay in 7 is the question?

I heard Intel and AMD are dropping support soon. Need the article linked can't find it.

They said no new chips will be made for Windows 7 or 8 and will fail to work from this date forward.

Nihilist_santa
09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
I was disappointed with win 10. Have scrapped windows and installed Linux Mint. Ive used Mint/Ubuntu for years but held off on my main PC for a few programs/games but now so many options exist that remove the need for windows. Steam makes gaming on Linux pretty effortless. Everything else I can use Wine or a VM for.

Daywolf
09-04-2016, 10:48 AM
They will drop them pretty soon most likely. I bet win7 they will announce the countdown within a year, pull the plug by two years this time. They are less worried about you and more worried about large businesses. Business side, they are worried about their 3rd party software compatibility. Then people that turn off patch updates between now and the end of time just want to be hacked of course :eek:

And yeah, this is my last system with a win/linux dual boot. Well, dead system I guess now, the desktop kaput officially. I stuck WinX on my laptop (had Ubuntu on it for years) so I can use my legacy line 6 guitar port. Then when I get around to a new desktop and laptop (when 3D XPoint hits market), this one will just sit un-networked with my guitars and keyboards :)

myriverse
09-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Going back to Windows 3.x, I've never really had a problem with any version. Never had a serious crash. Never needed to reinstall. Didn't like the looks of 8, but whatevs.

Daywolf
09-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Going back to Windows 3.x, I've never really had a problem with any version. Never had a serious crash. Never needed to reinstall. Didn't like the looks of 8, but whatevs.
cute, but prob is it's closed source, you don't know what's in it. My main concern anyway. Quite frankly, M$ is a pretty twisted company, and you bet there are back-doors riddled throughout it. An brainchild OS invented by a guy that would like to see global populations decrease substantially, and feels that through the use of vaccines he can reach that goal.

Bill Gates
\ˈbil gāts\
1. a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.
synonyms: madman, madwoman, maniac, lunatic, psychotic, sociopath, informalloony, fruitcake, nutcase, nutjob, nut, psycho, schizo, head case, sicko, screwball, crazy, kook, loon
"by definition, is every Bill Gates a danger to himself or others?"

Thulack
09-04-2016, 02:53 PM
I used Windows 7 Ultimate from the week before it was released(had a hacked version) until around March of this year when i switched to windows 8.1. Moved on to 10 a month ago. I always do fresh installs on all operating system upgrades(i reformat my PC's at least every 6 months even if system is running fine) and for windows 8 and 10 i have used Classic Shell to get the same menus as 7. Small customizations to all of them have led all of them to be stable OS's for me and i am content with 10. I moved to 8.1 after having 3 tablets running them flawlessly for months and figured it was time to upgrade from 7 with support for it running out anyway. Windows 10 has worked fine for me just like the other OS's. Aslong as you keep up with maintenance on your machines(running Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Disk Cleanup, Defrag) and keep up with your drivers on hardware you really shouldnt have issues with most things.You might have the odd issue with a 5+ year old piece of hardware that drivers for 10 arent made etc but that is more the consumer issue then a OS issue.

Izmael
09-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Win7 would be a great OS if it didn't have these nag popups asking to upgrade to Win10.

AzzarTheGod
09-04-2016, 06:22 PM
Win7 would be a great OS if it didn't have these nag popups asking to upgrade to Win10.

I shut those down permanently months ago

AenorVZ
09-05-2016, 01:04 AM
I guess I just gotta get better at modding 10.

AzzarTheGod
09-05-2016, 01:53 AM
I guess I just gotta get better at modding 10.

Prove to me you can mod 10. Prove you can shut updates off successfully in Windows 10 and I might switch, as would others.

Start with Windows Enterprise as a base operating system.

AenorVZ
09-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Not even trying at this point. 7 keys are cheap on ebay.

AzzarTheGod
09-28-2016, 01:52 AM
Not even trying at this point. 7 keys are cheap on ebay.

Lol my radio edit *high five*

and thanks for the tip.

I need to uninstall 8.1 on my new rig and wasn't sure what I was going to do.

Angushjalmur
09-28-2016, 02:00 AM
XP was the best

/thread

AzzarTheGod
09-28-2016, 02:02 AM
XP was the best

/thread

Truuuuuuuu *2chainz voice*

Chaboo_Cleric
09-28-2016, 02:06 AM
Going from windows 3.1 to 95 was epic as fuck. I remember being floored when I was like 10. Then 98 came the perfected 95 imo. XP was good and that was it. 7 is good,but man I remember making fun of people who had 2000, and vista. Junkie as fuck

R Flair
09-28-2016, 02:23 AM
Going from windows 3.1 to 95 was epic as fuck. I remember being floored when I was like 10. Then 98 came the perfected 95 imo. XP was good and that was it. 7 is good,but man I remember making fun of people who had 2000, and vista. Junkie as fuck

If it wasn't for massive xp spyware/rootkits and directx, I'd still be using Windows XP.

surron
09-28-2016, 11:31 AM
think it was posted win7 loses support in 2020...

win10 they said marks the beginning of never dropping support (don't know how they'll manage that unless windows 10 forces you to upgrade)

aMindAmok
09-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Windows 7 will obviously lose support at some point. 2020 sounds about right. However, support is going to be for existing hardware only pretty quick. Intel and AMD chips will not work with versions before Windows 10. So, if you want to upgrade at some point, dont expect to continue to use 7 or 8. The end is near.

Swish
09-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Still love 7, still hate 8, dont want 10 because its invasive innit

Swish
09-28-2016, 01:59 PM

I might be the only one on the planet that liked Vista

Nihilist_santa
09-28-2016, 02:06 PM
I might be the only one on the planet that liked Vista

The only thing from Vista that I missed in Win 7 was the ability to scroll through your open windows like a rolodex

xKoopa
09-28-2016, 02:10 PM
The only thing from Vista that I missed in Win 7 was the ability to scroll through your open windows like a rolodex

The windows key + tab thing? Or you mean somethin else

Nihilist_santa
09-28-2016, 02:16 PM
The windows key + tab thing? Or you mean somethin else

I cant recall the command. It was something like the above though. I think it was called cascade mode or something.

http://i.imgur.com/dvKW0VE.jpg

Baler
09-28-2016, 02:21 PM
I would still be using windows XP if micro$oft had done a proper 64 bit version.
Windows 7 is the last OS that supports backwards compatibility imo. I will be sad when they finally drop it.

Windows 8 is a phone OS imo.
Windows 10,.. The only thing I like is DirectX 12 and other optimizations for gaming. But compared to the intrusive nature and being built for everyone. it can suck it.

Why cant windows make a bare bones gaming OS? With everything NOT turned on by default? Something for people who know about computers and know what they want. Everytime I do a fresh install of windows 7. I run a file that automatically disables a ton of services I'll never use. As well as other windows settings I prefer turned off. I seriously dislike the built for everyone out of the box mentality because that is never the case. Plus why would I want to waste my computers resources on shit I'll never use.

If they keep going in the direction of 8 and 10.. I'll switch to Linux before moving to a new OS

Chaboo_Cleric
09-28-2016, 02:24 PM
I cant recall the command. It was something like the above though. I think it was called cascade mode or something.

http://i.imgur.com/dvKW0VE.jpg

You can still Cascade in windows 7. Just so you know. I'm guessing there's a setting in 10 too

Baler
09-28-2016, 02:26 PM
This stuff is on win 7..

Shift left click on any objects or individual object on the taskbar to get more options

Did you all know you can grab a window by the title bar to drag it, Then shake it quickly while dragging it to minimize all other windows?

You can hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open task manager.

With Aero on you can hit Windows Key + Tab to get a 3d cycle through active windows.

windows Key + D shows the desktop, repeat those keys and it returns the windows.

Nihilist_santa
09-28-2016, 02:28 PM
You can still Cascade in windows 7. Just so you know. I'm guessing there's a setting in 10 too

I adopted Linux years ago. Only keep windows on an old PC for EQ and 2 other programs but nice to know. Was that available when they released it? I could have sworn I tried to figure out how to use it with win 7 but it was either different or non-existent when I did but I might have just biffed it.

ETA: Baler just answered the questions for me

xKoopa
09-28-2016, 02:32 PM
Yea u can use windows + tab or just hold windows key and use mouse wheel to rotate thru em

No idea if it was a stock feature, i kinda found it on accident not too long ago but i still prefer to alt tab