PDA

View Full Version : LF info on deals for cheap new car

Trungep99
09-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Hey,
my old car just broke down, needs 6k in repairs according to the dealership :(. Not worth the repairs. Anyone know any good sites I can review looking up cheap/ decently priced new cars?

I'm probably going to repair my old car slowly with a friend of the family and a junk yard for parts, but that will take a while and I need a new car in the mean time for work and leisure.

FYI, I was good at caring for my old car, in retrospect i found out it just had shitty work on it from a 3rd party mechanic from a company that I won't go back to, which resulted in greater repair needs. So I'm just ready to buy something new.

Spyder73
09-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Sucks man, i went through the same thing not all the long ago and I finally broke down and got my sweet titty Tundra - Honestly Craigslist is a good place to look for cheap vehicles and you can find some really good deals.

xKoopa
09-02-2016, 10:41 AM
If youre talking about a new car, my advice is buy used. Even if its a used 2016 its gonna be alot cheaper than brand new.

Also as tekilya stated craigslist is the place to be, but dont rush and make sure to check the car out.

Personally, i just buy a different late 90s/early 2000s car every year or two, but i also like sportscars that i can dump on so its no biggie to blow 4000 for a year or so of fun

Cypher.
09-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Bought my current car from Hertz when my old '98 corolla died on me. They only have base models but for a fairly new car, the pricing is pretty good - got my '14 Mazda 2 for ~11k out the door.

Tupakk
09-02-2016, 11:00 AM
If your looking for a A to B car, and nothing to impress the ladies goto a used car place and haggle down any Honda, Toyota, or Volvo. They last forever and if something does happen parts are cheap.

Now if you are mixing AB and Lady Pleaser then you might want to look at craigslist for a one time owner preferably an old lady car cause that will do both. They are clean and function well. Most old people wont haggle though so thats the downside.

Sage Truthbearer
09-02-2016, 01:02 PM
If all you want is a reliable daily driver then you can't get better than a Honda or Toyota. Look on Craigslist and compare to the KBB values. Make 100% sure it has a clean title and stay away from any salvage or reclaimed bullshit, no matter what the seller says. Don't rush but be prepared to pounce quickly on a good deal because anything half-decent gets snatched up instantly.

Good luck, I hate buying cars. It's really a terrible experience unless you have a ton of money to blow and don't mind getting ripped off.

maskedmelon
09-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Should check with friends or family who might know about cars. I had a dealer tell me I needed a new engine. Turned out I just needed to have a spark plug replaced! It had escaped somehow ^^;

Tldr; don't trust people who sell cars to diagnose your car :/

skarlorn
09-02-2016, 02:10 PM
like with anything in life you have to first ask what type of speed boost youre looking for. basically you have three option

1) public transit (sow pot) is this an option? you can think of the local bus driver as your neighborhood shaman. if you don't have a neighborhood shaman you can't buy a sow pot. but this is the most eco friendly and actually good option if it exists.

2) jboots - this is ur used honda, toyota, ford. no one will be impressed. but it will last you a lifetime and is well worth the initial investment TBh.

3) awesome car (sow sword) sometimes you need to get panties dropping and also get to places faster than a jboot clad n00b. this is when you need 2 drop BIG bux aka beacoux bux on a VP dropped sword or farm it yourself. either way its a huge investment for practically the same function as #1... vanity does hvae its merits though, just ask King Tranix.